Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 04:07:21 pm

Author Topic: Things to remember- employment cycle, (good) employee relations  (Read 2503 times)  Share 

costargh

Hey guys,

I have a SAC on the employment cycle through to (good) employee relations tomorrow (4.3-4.7, Steve Barrile text book). (We have already been examined up to the maintenance stage of the employment cycle but we were advised there might be an overlap in the content on the SAC.

I feel pretty well prepared but just wondering if anyone has got any tips or things to remember for this part of the course.
Do we need to know about ITEA's or whatever they are called? Also, with the abolishment of AWA's and other things, we should be mentioning this in our answers right?

jsimmo

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +32
Re: Things to remember- employment cycle, (good) employee relations
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 06:37:57 pm »
+1
Here is a quick list I could come up with.. you should be fine if you know all of this:

• HR planning and what it involves - why is it important [remember a job description can be used for the purpose of creating the job advertisement or as criteria when conducting a performance appraisal]
  • the advantages and disadvantages of internal and external recruitment
  • tools for a HR manager to select and recruit the best applicant
  • the types of employment relationships [part-time, casual, full-time]
  • flexible workplaces [telecommuting] - family friendly workplaces
  • benefits of induction
  • benefits of training
  • benefits of performance appraisals
  • types of termination - what roles HRM would perform at each
  • difference between centralised and decentralised employee relations
  • make sure you can define all the key employee relations terms - enterprise bargaining - enterprise agreements, etc.
  • the role of HRM in employee relations
  • stakeholders involved in employee relations - how they can be involved - why are they interested in the outcome
  • management skills and styles used employee relations [the best way to resolve conflict]

If you have any questions about any of the points let me know.
2008: English , Business Management , IT: Applications , Further Maths , Studio Arts 
2009: Monash University

Noblesse

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +10
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2008, 03:10:59 pm »
Any suggestions to expand on this answer:

How can a human resource manager be ethical and socially responsibility, including phase
A human resource manager can be ethical and socially responsible in the termination phase with outplacement services. These services are provided to employees who have been made redundant because of reasons out of their control – new technology, cutting costs etc. and assist the redundant employee with gaining skills and finding new work.

costargh

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2008, 04:23:21 pm »
Hey thanks for that jsimmo. I read it all last night but I just couldn't be bothered replying cause that was already an excellent help (Y)
Did the SAC today. Think I did pretty well

jsimmo

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +32
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2008, 05:30:45 pm »
+1
Any suggestions to expand on this answer:

How can a human resource manager be ethical and socially responsibility, including phase
A human resource manager can be ethical and socially responsible in the termination phase with outplacement services. These services are provided to employees who have been made redundant because of reasons out of their control – new technology, cutting costs etc. and assist the redundant employee with gaining skills and finding new work.

Your answer is good. I guess you could also talk about diversity management and how HRM should ethically select appropriate applicants without discriminating them based on age, race, gender, etc. Maybe you could also link this question to employee relations and mention how the HRM should act in an E&SR manner to ensure that there is minimal conflict within and outside the organisation.

I have this listed in my notes [it's not directly associated with your question, but it could be of use in the future]:

Strategies a HR manager can use to promote ethical and socially responsible management in the workplace:
•   Introduce policies that encourage  a culture of social responsibility (e.g. supporting employees to volunteer in their local community)
•   Use recruitment and selection practices to select candidates with an understanding of business ethics and socially responsible management practices
•   Develop comprehensive training programs in business ethics and socially responsible business ethics
•   Establish an ethics committee in the workplace
2008: English , Business Management , IT: Applications , Further Maths , Studio Arts 
2009: Monash University

Noblesse

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +10
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2008, 09:57:05 pm »
Thanks jsimmo, great advice - I was thinking about that not discrimination thing with recruitment/selection as well.