Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 05:31:08 am

Author Topic: Atar for Medicine?  (Read 3858 times)  Share 

a weaponized ikea chair

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +12
Atar for Medicine?
« on: July 29, 2020, 06:58:25 pm »
Sorry if this is wrong forum.

I am not asking the atar requirement for a specific university, I am asking an atar which you should achieve in order to be a competitive applicant. Does this change if you score well on the UCAT? Thanks.

Please do not link me to specific uni atar requirements.

whys

• VIC MVP - 2020
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +916
Re: Atar for Medicine?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2020, 07:05:02 pm »
+4
Sorry to say, but it depends on the uni, because a competitive ATAR changes based on the uni (e.g. for one uni, 99.70 might be competitive, and for another it might not). It will change based on your UCAT score depending on the uni (some don't use UCAT, and for some UCAT is a very minor component of determining if you will receive an interview/offer invite). Your question really can't be answered generally as you want it to. It's always good to aim for the best ATAR you can achieve to ensure you are as competitive of an applicant as possible. If you do very well on the UCAT, you will definitely be more likely to receive an interview/offer invite. This doesn't mean you will receive one or you won't, but you are more likely, provided you also get a good ATAR.

Hope this helped.
psych [50] bio [50]
2021-2025: BMedSci/MD @ Monash

justaloser

• Forum Regular
  • I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer.
  • Respect: +116
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2020, 07:16:00 pm »
+2
Sorry if this is wrong forum.

I am not asking the atar requirement for a specific university, I am asking an atar which you should achieve in order to be a competitive applicant. Does this change if you score well on the UCAT? Thanks.

Please do not link me to specific uni atar requirements.

No university has specific requirements but based off the ATAR profiles (not prereqs) for a few universities the median ATAR of students is around 99.3-99.7. I know people with >98.55 in Monash med though, there's a ton of factors.
This does definitely change depending on how well you perform on the UCAT -- you need to score well -- whether you're rural, what university/specific course you're applying for and of course, SEAS. 
2020-24: Monash Uni MBBS (Bonded)

I don't really go on here anymore. Feel free to DM though

I have no idea about the UCAT percentile required to get an interview/accepted into medicine. Mine was the first year that they used the UCAT. Just try and maximise your ATAR and take care of yourself.

My Med School journal

a weaponized ikea chair

• Trendsetter
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2020, 09:08:01 pm »
Hmm, okay, I will cut the crap and get to the real question I want to ask.

If I got a 98 ATAR and 2500* in UCAT, do I have a good chance of getting invited for an interview at monash, or is that not enough?

*bit unsure of the scoring about the UCAT, sources said its out of 3600, so there goes.

justaloser

• Forum Regular
  • I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer.
  • Respect: +116
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2020, 09:15:03 pm »
+4
Hmm, okay, I will cut the crap and get to the real question I want to ask.

If I got a 98 ATAR and 2500* in UCAT, do I have a good chance of getting invited for an interview at monash, or is that not enough?

*bit unsure of the scoring about the UCAT, sources said its out of 3600, so there goes.

No, not without SEAS/Monash Guarantee.

UCAT scoring is as a percentile, the percentile (how well you score compared to others) is what is taken into account, not the raw score. 
2020-24: Monash Uni MBBS (Bonded)

I don't really go on here anymore. Feel free to DM though

I have no idea about the UCAT percentile required to get an interview/accepted into medicine. Mine was the first year that they used the UCAT. Just try and maximise your ATAR and take care of yourself.

My Med School journal

a weaponized ikea chair

• Trendsetter
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2020, 09:17:00 pm »
Hmm, can you explain the SEAS/Monash guarantee part? What are the requirements to be "guaranteed"?

whys

• VIC MVP - 2020
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2020, 09:23:18 pm »
+2
Hmm, can you explain the SEAS/Monash guarantee part? What are the requirements to be "guaranteed"?
A quick google search will tell you. They have info of the Monash Guarantee on their website, and you can check whether you qualify for it or not. However, it's important to note that Monash Guarantee only guarantees an interview. So, you are guaranteed an interview, but your interview score, UCAT and ATAR will be weighted and compared to everyone else who also did the interview to determine who gets an offer. So, you still need high scores for an offer.
psych [50] bio [50]

Lear

• MOTM: JUL 18
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +328
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2020, 09:31:57 pm »
A quick google search will tell you. They have info of the Monash Guarantee on their website, and you can check whether you qualify for it or not. However, it's important to note that Monash Guarantee only guarantees an interview. So, you are guaranteed an interview, but your interview score, UCAT and ATAR will be weighted and compared to everyone else who also did the interview to determine who gets an offer. So, you still need high scores for an offer.

Hey whys do you have a link to a source regarding the guaranteed interview part? I know this definitely existed back when the UMAT was around but it seems they’ve removed that for the UCAT? Unless I haven’t checked properly.
2018: ATAR: 99.35
Subjects
English: 44
Methods: 43
Further Maths: 50
Chemistry: 46
Legal: 40
2019: Bachelor of Medical Science and Doctor of Medicine @ Monash

whys

• VIC MVP - 2020
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2020, 10:10:30 pm »
+1
Hey whys do you have a link to a source regarding the guaranteed interview part? I know this definitely existed back when the UMAT was around but it seems they’ve removed that for the UCAT? Unless I haven’t checked properly.
Yeppo! It's here, at the bottom of the page. They have reserved places for Monash Guarantee, but having the Monash Guarantee doesn't guarantee a place offer.
psych [50] bio [50]

Failingvce

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +14
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2020, 11:16:09 pm »
+3

so pretty much you need to be from an underrepresented school or live in a disadvantaged area to qualify for SEAS. there are also other things like financial difficulty and health problems but I think you need some sort of evidence. you can also put in a significant life event like maybe the death of a family member. I know someone who faced issues with mental health so that also got factored into their application. Monash guarantee also applies to those who come from underrepresented school but I don't think you can apply for both to get into Monash MED. I think the Monash guarantee is a 94 but depending on your circumstances your SEAS can boost your rank by a lot. just keep in mind that it doesn't show up as a part of your actual atar. so for example, if you get a 93 and you apply for SEAS and it brings your score up by 4 points, your ATAR is not going to show up as 97. It simply increases your rank and puts you in with other students who have scored 97 and I'm pretty sure that universities don't see whether or not you've applied.

- hope this helped
2020 subjects:
3/4 English - 3/4 Methods- 3/4 chemistry- 3/4 Biology- 3/4 psychology

a weaponized ikea chair

• Trendsetter
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2020, 07:23:33 am »
so pretty much you need to be from an underrepresented school or live in a disadvantaged area to qualify for SEAS. there are also other things like financial difficulty and health problems but I think you need some sort of evidence. you can also put in a significant life event like maybe the death of a family member. I know someone who faced issues with mental health so that also got factored into their application. Monash guarantee also applies to those who come from underrepresented school but I don't think you can apply for both to get into Monash MED. I think the Monash guarantee is a 94 but depending on your circumstances your SEAS can boost your rank by a lot. just keep in mind that it doesn't show up as a part of your actual atar. so for example, if you get a 93 and you apply for SEAS and it brings your score up by 4 points, your ATAR is not going to show up as 97. It simply increases your rank and puts you in with other students who have scored 97 and I'm pretty sure that universities don't see whether or not you've applied.

- hope this helped

Thanks for your response.

94? That's seems kinda low for Monash med. Or is that just the point at which they accept applications? If so, then it's not really guaranteed as their people are going to apply with a significantly higher star. If it was 94 then every tom, bob and harry would do medicine.

paulthekiller123

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2020, 08:22:51 am »
+1
Thanks for your response.

94? That's seems kinda low for Monash med. Or is that just the point at which they accept applications? If so, then it's not really guaranteed as their people are going to apply with a significantly higher star. If it was 94 then every tom, bob and harry would do medicine.

Pretty sure you need like around a 97atar plus SEAS. And it also depends on your SEAS of course. If you only fulfill one category, your rank doesn't get boosted up by much but if you have 2 or 3 then your rank would be boosted up very highly i assume.

a weaponized ikea chair

• Trendsetter
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2020, 08:31:04 am »
Without SEAS, what would you need?

whys

• VIC MVP - 2020
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2020, 08:41:03 am »
+3
Without SEAS, what would you need?
For Monash? I have seen people with ATARs in the mid-98s, but most are in the 99s. The mid-98s would have had amazing UCAT results or smashed the interview to get an offer. Ideally, you want to be aiming for above 99. From your signature, I'm guessing you're in year 10. You still have plenty of time to maximise your ATAR so don't worry too much about your ATAR for now, just ensure you're maintaining good study habits and the like. But yeah, try aim for upwards of 99 for the best possible chance.
psych [50] bio [50]

Lear

• MOTM: JUL 18
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +328
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2020, 09:34:57 am »
+1
Yeppo! It's here, at the bottom of the page. They have reserved places for Monash Guarantee, but having the Monash Guarantee doesn't guarantee a place offer.

Hmm yeah that seems to imply it’s actual places for Guarantee students rather than a guaranteed interview. I remember during UMAT times it was said explicitly. Something like 180+ in UMAT and 90+ ATAR guarantees an interview.
2018: ATAR: 99.35
Subjects
English: 44
Methods: 43
Further Maths: 50
Chemistry: 46
Legal: 40
2019: Bachelor of Medical Science and Doctor of Medicine @ Monash