Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 29, 2024, 02:53:45 pm

Author Topic: English Quotes Memorised  (Read 4078 times)

Jacob0973

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
English Quotes Memorised
« on: July 11, 2017, 08:03:15 pm »
Hey all, I have my notes for English organised by theme for all modules already. However, how many quotes would you have memorised per text? In the past I have only memorised the minimum amount for each text and just adapted on the day, however, I'm not sure if this will be quite as successful in the future.

Cheers!

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: English Quotes Memorised
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2017, 12:47:02 am »
+1
Hey all, I have my notes for English organised by theme for all modules already. However, how many quotes would you have memorised per text? In the past I have only memorised the minimum amount for each text and just adapted on the day, however, I'm not sure if this will be quite as successful in the future.

Cheers!

Hey Jacob! Welcome to the forums! ;D

There's no "golden number," obviously it is quality over quantity. You want to strike a balance between good stuff for quality, and breadth for accessibility ;D

Personally, I remembered quite a few quotes (I never memorised any essays so needed the breadth to be adaptable on the day). For Module A, maybe 40ish. Module B was speeches so needed some for every speech, perhaps closer to 50, maybe more? Then like 30 for Module C :)

Note - I went nuts. You should almost definitely not memorise this many - Perhaps some others can share their experiences here? :)

studybuddy7777

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2017, 10:08:13 am »
+1

Cheers!

Personally I think Jamon went a bit extreme in his memorising but if you can remember that many by all means do so ;D
Read and reread the text a few times and it is amazing how much you retain. Certainly no less than 10 quotes, if they are real bangers. You would be looking at say minimum 20 for Mod B as that is a Critical Study of texts. Mod A I had the Richards - so if I am honest I only really did a few quotes (like 5-10) and then the rest was visual techniques. For the play I did maybe 20-25.

As Jamon said above there is no golden number. Simply remember as much as you can - and the techniques that accompany it if possible - and you will be fine.

bowiemily

• HSC Lecturer
  • Forum Obsessive
  • So it goes.
  • Respect: +133
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2017, 10:53:37 am »
+2

Cheers!

Hey there! I had about 15 - 20 per text, and I memorised them by writing practice responses. However, if there was one that I was finding really difficult to remember, I would write it out three times, say it aloud three times, and the write it again three times without looking at the exact working. It sounds like primary school, but for some reason, it worked :P
Currently offering tutoring, send me a PM or email me at [email protected]
AdvEng: 100 (1st in State) - ExtEng: 49/50 - EarthEnviroScience: 95/100 (7th in State) - Modern History: 95/100 - Legal Studies: 96/100 Studies of Religion: 47/50

ATAR: 99.85
Studying Arts/Law at Sydney University

_____

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +22
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2017, 10:27:15 pm »
Hey Jacob! Welcome to the forums! ;D

There's no "golden number," obviously it is quality over quantity. You want to strike a balance between good stuff for quality, and breadth for accessibility ;D

Personally, I remembered quite a few quotes (I never memorised any essays so needed the breadth to be adaptable on the day). For Module A, maybe 40ish. Module B was speeches so needed some for every speech, perhaps closer to 50, maybe more? Then like 30 for Module C :)

Note - I went nuts. You should almost definitely not memorise this many - Perhaps some others can share their experiences here? :)

Holy crap mate. Was that just from doing past trials or did you rote learn by writing and rewriting them?

I just looked at the 2016 paper 2 and that Hamlet Module B question freaked me out because I'd have needed extensive examples of imagery. I suppose your method would have/did set you up nicely for that question!

pikachu975

• Forum Obsessive
  • Stars and Bars
  • Respect: +45
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2017, 05:32:23 pm »
+3
Holy crap mate. Was that just from doing past trials or did you rote learn by writing and rewriting them?

I just looked at the 2016 paper 2 and that Hamlet Module B question freaked me out because I'd have needed extensive examples of imagery. I suppose your method would have/did set you up nicely for that question!

From Emily's english lecture today, you could have interpreted the imagery as an effect of an image created in the reader's mind through techniques such as symbolism, metaphor and imagery itself! Thanks again for the lecture btw it helped

Offering tutoring for Biology, Maths, Maths Ext 1, and Maths Ext 2.
Send me a message if interested!

2016 HSC (Accelerated):
// 2U Maths (97) // SOR 1 (48) //

2017 HSC:
// English Adv // Bio // Phys // 3U Maths // 4U Maths //

Goal: 99.9

bowiemily

• HSC Lecturer
  • Forum Obsessive
  • So it goes.
  • Respect: +133
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2017, 08:18:38 pm »
+2
From Emily's english lecture today, you could have interpreted the imagery as an effect of an image created in the reader's mind through techniques such as symbolism, metaphor and imagery itself! Thanks again for the lecture btw it helped

So glad that it did! And so glad that you're also helping it to use other students :)
Currently offering tutoring, send me a PM or email me at [email protected]
AdvEng: 100 (1st in State) - ExtEng: 49/50 - EarthEnviroScience: 95/100 (7th in State) - Modern History: 95/100 - Legal Studies: 96/100 Studies of Religion: 47/50

ATAR: 99.85
Studying Arts/Law at Sydney University

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2017, 10:24:30 pm »

Bit of both! I applied them in practice essays but definitely lots of reading them aloud and writing them out too ;D