Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 29, 2024, 05:43:29 pm

Author Topic: in case anyone wants them  (Read 9095 times)  Share 

nabbiechan

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +1
Re: in case anyone wants them
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2010, 10:18:18 pm »
Isn't the adversary system pretty much just going over the procedures in the legal system? like the criminal and civil then evaluating them and all that?
2009 - IT Applications
2010 - Math Methods || ESL || Accounting || Legal Studies || Vet Business Administration

pooshwaltzer

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2010, 10:25:58 pm »
In broad terms the adversarial system of conducting proceedings refers to a system in which a judge or adjudicator determines a dispute on the basis of information presented by the parties, who have the primary responsibility for defining the issues in dispute and for carrying the dispute forward. The system is based not only on substantive and procedural law but also on an associated legal culture and ethical base. Strictly, the adversarial system relates to a small part of dispute resolution in Australia -- trials in courts. However, the adversarial system has been criticised for its broader, indirect effects on the resolution of disputes throughout Australian society.

In the focus on the adversarial/non-adversarial dichotomy, it is easy to overlook the developing alternative model to our adjudication system which is being fashioned within the common law systems. The alternative model is directed to alternatives to adjudication. This model forms an essentially privatised justice arrangement, which increasingly utilises lawyers, not as partisan advisers and advocates, but as neutrals in a variety of dispute resolution processes arrayed around the litigation system. This model depends on agreement between parties and not on the use of State powers to compel adherence to court and tribunal orders. This developing settlement model has significant implications for the structure, the objectives, the roles and function of the participants within the justice model and those who use such processes

Spreadbury

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +12
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2010, 10:33:12 pm »
the adversary system. i'm getting reallllllly sick of assessing the exact same criteria. finally up to the jury system though :) last chapter of the book
Bachelor of Laws, Deakin

nabbiechan

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2010, 12:43:30 am »
Thanks for the explanation waltzer and the notes as well for spreadbury~ :)

I actually didn't do legal studies unit 1 and 2 but I was forced to do it this year because of all the clashes of our subjects. Is it much of a disadvantage if i didn't do unit 1&2?
2009 - IT Applications
2010 - Math Methods || ESL || Accounting || Legal Studies || Vet Business Administration

Spreadbury

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2010, 08:44:28 am »
units 1 and 2 just help with some of the basic definitions of crime and standard and burden of proof. it's not a disadvantage to have done it, it would be better I guess but you're not disadvantaged
Bachelor of Laws, Deakin

Albeno69

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2010, 10:11:25 am »
units 1 and 2 just help with some of the basic definitions of crime and standard and burden of proof. it's not a disadvantage to have done it, it would be better I guess but you're not disadvantaged
thanks your notes are so helpful jury system isnt that hard prob easier we did learn't bout jury first.

chrisjb

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • ROAR
  • Respect: +64
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2010, 10:38:49 am »
the adversary system. i'm getting reallllllly sick of assessing the exact same criteria. finally up to the jury system though :) last chapter of the book

WHAT!?!? we're still stuck back in the land of trial procedure :( man, we're a long way behind...
2011: 96.35
2012: http://www.thegapyear2012.com/
2013: Arts (Global) Monash
2016: Juris Doctor (somewhere)

Spreadbury

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2010, 10:55:13 am »
wow you're way behind... our teacher has made us essentially finish the chapter on the jury at home by ourselves. about 10 pages left of the book. our teacher's pretty desperate to finish the course before the end of term.
Bachelor of Laws, Deakin

Albeno69

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2010, 02:49:57 pm »
wow you're way behind... our teacher has made us essentially finish the chapter on the jury at home by ourselves. about 10 pages left of the book. our teacher's pretty desperate to finish the course before the end of term.
yea last 3 weeks of 2nd term we did nothing our teacher got seriously ill and took three weeks off and we got 3 weeks of emergency teachers.

Spreadbury

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2010, 03:27:35 pm »
yea last 3 weeks of 2nd term we did nothing our teacher got seriously ill and took three weeks off and we got 3 weeks of emergency teachers.

strange. our school doesn't give emergency teachers for year 12 subjects. if the teacher isn't there it's a free period. not that it'd really matter if your teacher isn't there, I find that in all my subjects I end up doing self-study. I get sooooo bored in 2 of my classes (psych/ legal) already finished the psych course and in legal all we do is read the book and sometimes get some questions to do. have to do all the important stuff at home.

also, my legal teacher has such poor time management skills. tells us we're ahead the whole year so the class relaxes at the end of term 2, then at term 3 he thinks "yeah now I'll pile the work on. SUFFER MY LEGAL STUDENTS! complete half the book in a month!". irritating. also he wastes so much class time going over questions in class (instead of correcting each persons work we just discuss it as a class) and *sigh* we've wasted whole periods doing that because people get him side-tracked.

:) I guess this post belongs in the rant section huh? haha
Bachelor of Laws, Deakin

Albeno69

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2010, 03:40:33 pm »

strange. our school doesn't give emergency teachers for year 12 subjects. if the teacher isn't there it's a free period. not that it'd really matter if your teacher isn't there, I find that in all my subjects I end up doing self-study. I get sooooo bored in 2 of my classes (psych/ legal) already finished the psych course and in legal all we do is read the book and sometimes get some questions to do. have to do all the important stuff at home.

also, my legal teacher has such poor time management skills. tells us we're ahead the whole year so the class relaxes at the end of term 2, then at term 3 he thinks "yeah now I'll pile the work on. SUFFER MY LEGAL STUDENTS! complete half the book in a month!". irritating. also he wastes so much class time going over questions in class (instead of correcting each persons work we just discuss it as a class) and *sigh* we've wasted whole periods doing that because people get him side-tracked.

:) I guess this post belongs in the rant section huh? haha
lol sorta but yea thats teachers for ya atleast this is my last year then uni.

chrisjb

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • ROAR
  • Respect: +64
« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2010, 05:59:33 pm »

It sucks when stuff like that happens. In international politics my teacher got fired halfway through the year (she wasn't any good so that was OK) and my GMS teacher had to take a chemistry class and left us :( thank god it was just year 11 subjects for me.
2011: 96.35
2012: http://www.thegapyear2012.com/
2013: Arts (Global) Monash
2016: Juris Doctor (somewhere)

nabbiechan

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2010, 11:07:57 pm »

WHAT!?!? we're still stuck back in the land of trial procedure :( man, we're a long way behind...

Same here! we're still in procedures! :(
2009 - IT Applications

zomgSEAN

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • goon <3
« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2010, 10:50:22 am »
procedures? we're still learning structure of parliament!
arts arts arts arts arts arts arts
Psychology Major at UoM - Resident of St. Hilda's College
Awarded PhD(Honours) in Beer on 23/2/11
objective immorality does not exist

Spreadbury

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2010, 06:00:27 pm »
enjoy my 68 page hell
Bachelor of Laws, Deakin