Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 07, 2024, 10:36:40 am

Author Topic: HSC Studies of Religion Question Thread  (Read 278537 times)  Share 

emilyygeorgexx

• HSC LECTURER
  • ____________
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +113
Re: HSC Studies of Religion Question Thread
« Reply #795 on: April 19, 2018, 12:10:50 pm »
Hey!

Does anyone have any resources for Christianity - Marriage?

Thanks ;D
HSC 2018 - (ATAR: 99.10)
English Advanced (90) | General Mathematics 2 (95) | Business Studies (98 - 6th in NSW) | Legal Studies (94) | Economics (93) | Studies of Religion 1 (48)

2019: B Commerce/B Laws @ UNSW

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
  • Respect: +1010
« Reply #796 on: April 19, 2018, 12:17:36 pm »
+3
Hey!

Does anyone have any resources for Christianity - Marriage?

Thanks ;D
Hey there,
The Notes section should have some resources on Christianity- Marriage. I think this one has some notes on Marriage.
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW

laura.scott

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #797 on: May 27, 2018, 02:08:19 pm »
Hi,
For Islam I'm doing bioethics, and I'm a bit unsure if I need to consider the principle beliefs of Islam when answering a question.
I know that I have to refer to ethical teachings but is it necessary to include the principle beliefs (Tawhid, al-akhira, kutubu'llah etc.)?

Hope this makes sense

Thank you!

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #798 on: May 27, 2018, 06:27:48 pm »
Hi,
For Islam I'm doing bioethics, and I'm a bit unsure if I need to consider the principle beliefs of Islam when answering a question.
I know that I have to refer to ethical teachings but is it necessary to include the principle beliefs (Tawhid, al-akhira, kutubu'llah etc.)?

Hope this makes sense

Thank you!

Hi there Laura! It's not necessary, but it is something that I used to do as a way to structure my essays! You can read about it in this guide I wrote: Click here! :)

laura.scott

• Adventurer
« Reply #799 on: May 27, 2018, 10:21:33 pm »
Hi there Laura! It's not necessary, but it is something that I used to do as a way to structure my essays! You can read about it in this guide I wrote: Click here! :)

Ok, thank you!

talitha_h

• Forum Regular
« Reply #800 on: June 02, 2018, 06:15:31 pm »
Hi I'm just wondering how much I should write for a 20 marker. I am doing environmental ethics.  My question is:

‘ jealousy and selfishness are not God’s kind of wisdom.’ James 3:15
How do the ethical teachings of Christianity guide adherents to live lives that are not selfish, but that are based on God’s wisdom?
In your response, refer to ONE of the following:
• Bioethics
• Environmental ethics
• Sexual ethics.

Thank you
ARTEXPRESS 2019

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +312
« Reply #801 on: June 03, 2018, 12:24:07 am »
+3
Hi I'm just wondering how much I should write for a 20 marker. I am doing environmental ethics.  My question is:

How do the ethical teachings of Christianity guide adherents to live lives that are not selfish, but that are based on God’s wisdom?
• Bioethics
• Environmental ethics
• Sexual ethics.

Thank you

Didn't do environmental ethics but:

Essentially, what I would argue is that I am guessing the Bible instructs Christian adherents to respect the environment and nature and be stewards of creation.

The quote says that being selfish and jealous is not what God wants.

Therefore, that means he instead wants followers who are selfless and caring and this can be related to Environmental Ethics as he wants adherents who respect and are selfless in their treatment of the environment.

So what I would look for is 3 body paragraphs on different ways that this is expressed in Christianity.

So aim for 1000 words if you can! :)

Hope that clarifies things!
HSC 2017 (ATAR 98.95) - English Advanced (94), English Extension 1 (48), Modern History (94), Studies of Religion 1 (48), Visual Arts (95), French Continuers (92)

Download our free discovery trial paper!

henrychapman

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #802 on: June 04, 2018, 07:12:32 pm »
+1

• Bioethics
• Environmental ethics
• Sexual ethics.
Thank you

I have done environmental ethics in Christianity !!
Basically, you want to frame your response around the key dot point in the ethics syllabus. You can approach this in a few ways, however I would personally do it like this as it is more succinct and links to the syllabus more.
You can frame your three paragraphs surrounding individual areas of ethics that pertain to the environment in Christianity. (E.g - reverence, stewardship, preferential option for the poor) and show how this informs adherents of their ethics. Then you can include examples of organisations and initiatives that they have surrounding a certain environmental issue (e.g pollution or deforestation) and how that relates to back to the teaching of ethics.
I hope that helps!

Mod Edit: Fixed quote :)
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 08:00:52 pm by jamonwindeyer »
HSC 2018
English Advanced: 90
Economics: 92
Legal Studies: 92
Modern History: 91
Studies of Religion II: 88
History Extension: 41
ATAR: 96.60

2019: B. Commerce/Laws @ UNSW
I offer tutoring in those top 4 subjects above, at a very reasonable price. Have numerous resources as well. Send me a message for more info :)

jaredmayo01

• Adventurer
« Reply #803 on: June 04, 2018, 08:50:56 pm »
How would I approach this and what should my thesis be and why

"Peace is not the product of terror or fear. Peace is not the silence of cemeteries. Peace is not the silent result of violent repression. Peace is dynamism. Peace is generosity. It is a right and it is a duty.” - Oscar Romero
Evaluate this quote in light of the teachings on peace of TWO religious traditions.

ayeleetaayeleetahh

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #804 on: June 07, 2018, 10:28:28 am »
Hello! I have an in-class essay for SOR I tomorrow, we have been given the question,
"How has Isaiah reformed/revitalised Judaism?"

Any help would be great!

Thank you :)

emilyygeorgexx

• HSC LECTURER
  • ____________
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +113
« Reply #805 on: June 08, 2018, 10:00:33 pm »
Hey!

Has anyone written or have an essay on environmental ethics essay in regards to Buddhism. I have an exam in a week where I have to write an essay but my teacher literally spent one lesson on environmental essay and moved straight to Ashoka.

I am in some desperate need of help! Anything would be appreciated :)

Thanks in advance!
HSC 2018 - (ATAR: 99.10)
English Advanced (90) | General Mathematics 2 (95) | Business Studies (98 - 6th in NSW) | Legal Studies (94) | Economics (93) | Studies of Religion 1 (48)

2019: B Commerce/B Laws @ UNSW

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +312
« Reply #806 on: June 08, 2018, 11:56:55 pm »
+4
Hey!

Has anyone written or have an essay on environmental ethics essay in regards to Buddhism. I have an exam in a week where I have to write an essay but my teacher literally spent one lesson on environmental essay and moved straight to Ashoka.

I am in some desperate need of help! Anything would be appreciated :)

Thanks in advance!

I didn't study this area but this may be of help to you :)

https://atarnotes.com/note/buddhist-environmental-ethics/

How would I approach this and what should my thesis be and why

"Peace is not the product of terror or fear. Peace is not the silence of cemeteries. Peace is not the silent result of violent repression. Peace is dynamism. Peace is generosity. It is a right and it is a duty.” - Oscar Romero
Evaluate this quote in light of the teachings on peace of TWO religious traditions.

Tough question! Not entirely sure but found this info on Romero in relation to this quote which may help you in terms of looking at reconciliation and forgiveness and the importance of them in two religious traditions:

In the middle of all the hatred and fear around him, he preached the gospel of justice and reconciliation. He reminded his people, the rich and the poor, of the Gospel message about the dignity of every man and woman. Each was loved by God and was a member of the human family. It was a message, he said, that should be lived in the lives of all Christians. It was everyone's responsibility to work for the good of society.

Hello! I have an in-class essay for SOR I tomorrow, we have been given the question,
"How has Isaiah reformed/revitalised Judaism?"

Any help would be great!

Thank you :)

Wish I could help but I didn't study this figure, sorry! Can anyone else help?

In terms of the question, you need to focus on the ways they CHANGED the religion. That should be your sole focus and make sure the points and examples you give show how it changed the way the religion expressed itself and was run.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 12:01:32 am by dancing phalanges »
HSC 2017 (ATAR 98.95) - English Advanced (94), English Extension 1 (48), Modern History (94), Studies of Religion 1 (48), Visual Arts (95), French Continuers (92)

Download our free discovery trial paper!

eliseeeeee_m

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #807 on: June 13, 2018, 11:28:22 pm »
HEY!  :)

Would I need to include scriptural references for a 6 mark question on the significance of baptism on the individual?

THANK YOUUUUUUU
HSC 2018: Advanced English // Extension English I // Modern History // Legal Studies // Drama // Studies of Religion I

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #808 on: June 14, 2018, 12:04:56 am »
HEY!  :)

Would I need to include scriptural references for a 6 mark question on the significance of baptism on the individual?

THANK YOUUUUUUU

Hey there! I think scriptural references are a good idea for pretty much any short answer/extended response in SOR, they are an easy way to show you have evidence for the claims you are making. Plenty of passages demonstrating the significance of Baptism ;D our Notes section has notes on Baptism that you might be able to use as a launching point!

jmcdougall19

• Adventurer
« Reply #809 on: June 23, 2018, 01:08:58 am »
Hey Everyone

I just have a quick question that i'm curious about. When people who have already done SOR 2 and received top marks on their HSC talk about their depth study(s), they really have a depth of knowledge and understanding of the content and really, the 'big picture' of the religion. I personally find this very challenging and believe this is the barrier between me and probably others to achieving a band 6. Just wondering is there any tips or tricks to having this depth of knowlege? And am i correct in saying by doing this you can reach high bands, or is there more to it?

Thanks