Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 04:47:03 pm

Author Topic: PAPER ONE EXAM DISCUSSION!  (Read 56366 times)

jakesilove

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Synergising your ATAR potential"
Re: PAPER ONE EXAM DISCUSSION!
« Reply #75 on: October 13, 2016, 04:59:43 pm »
Guys for the creative, was the pic supposed to be where our characters experienced discovery?

Definitely not necessarily! Just needed to be a part of the creative :)
ATAR: 99.80

Mathematics Extension 2: 93
Physics: 93
Chemistry: 93
Modern History: 94
English Advanced: 95
Mathematics: 96
Mathematics Extension 1: 98

Studying a combined Advanced Science/Law degree at UNSW

WLalex

• Forum Regular
« Reply #76 on: October 13, 2016, 05:04:22 pm »

but it said key setting...would that not mean it had to be a part of your story at some point for a significant part?
« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 05:06:41 pm by WLalex »
"You don't want to look back and know you could have done better"

2016: Advanced English, Mathematics , Extension Maths, Chemistry, SOR II, PDHPE

ATAR: 97.70

Sanaz

• Trailblazer
« Reply #77 on: October 13, 2016, 05:04:52 pm »
Guys for the creative, was the pic supposed to be where our characters experienced discovery?

One of my close friends' name is kawther! this is so random but so cool :P never met anyone else with her name

jakesilove

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Synergising your ATAR potential"
« Reply #78 on: October 13, 2016, 05:07:03 pm »
but it said key setting...? not disagreeing with you, just confused :P

The stimulus definitely needed to be a 'key location'! This isn't necessarily where the discovery needed to take place, however you would think it would be the easiest/best place for it to occur there. I'm just saying that doesn't limit your discovery-location too much.
ATAR: 99.80

Mathematics Extension 2: 93
Physics: 93
Chemistry: 93
Modern History: 94
English Advanced: 95
Mathematics: 96
Mathematics Extension 1: 98

Studying a combined Advanced Science/Law degree at UNSW

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
« Reply #79 on: October 13, 2016, 05:09:26 pm »
but it said key setting...would that not mean it had to be a part of your story at some point for a significant part?

It could mean that in the key location, a significant character was introduced that prompted a discovery later on. Or the key location could be an environment that prompted a shift in thinking, which later lead to the discovery :)

What setting did you use? I'm curious!
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

bloopbloop

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #80 on: October 13, 2016, 05:13:30 pm »
So for question 4, I wrote about how the tone of the poem was calm- and how that was contrasted to after he saw the whale, the imagery paints him as being overwhelmed post- his discovery, is that ok?

kawther

• Trailblazer
« Reply #81 on: October 13, 2016, 05:22:13 pm »
One of my close friends' name is kawther! this is so random but so cool :P never met anyone else with her name

Haha thats so coincidental! Bet she's fabulous haha, I've met a couple Kawther's in my lifetime  ;D

kawther

• Trailblazer
« Reply #82 on: October 13, 2016, 05:24:14 pm »

Sweet! My characters "discovery" was inside the shed/ house of image 5, hopefully my mention of the place was clear enough

lysscass

• Adventurer
« Reply #83 on: October 13, 2016, 05:26:21 pm »
so someone just said to me that the boy with the telescope was blind... is this true?! i thought the braille was just a metaphor for the stars, but the unseen texts were pretty word heavy so i read rather fast and maybe i missed something. too late to worry about it now, just curious as to if that is actually what the text wanted us to see?

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Seize the means of the HSC" ~ Vladimir Lenin
« Reply #84 on: October 13, 2016, 05:27:51 pm »
so someone just said to me that the boy with the telescope was blind... is this true?! i thought the braille was just a metaphor for the stars, but the unseen texts were pretty word heavy so i read rather fast and maybe i missed something. too late to worry about it now, just curious as to if that is actually what the text wanted us to see?
If this is true then maybe my answer wasn't as stupid as I thought hahaha
FREE HISTORY EXTENSION LECTURE - CLICK HERE FOR INFO!

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

ATAR: 97.80

Studying a Bachelor of Communications: Media Arts and Production at UTS 😊

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

WLalex

• Forum Regular
« Reply #85 on: October 13, 2016, 05:37:31 pm »
It could mean that in the key location, a significant character was introduced that prompted a discovery later on. Or the key location could be an environment that prompted a shift in thinking, which later lead to the discovery :)

What setting did you use? I'm curious!

Ah yes I see thanks for clarifying Jake and Elyse.

I used the one with the sea of seats..which did require me to shift my setting but ended up working quite well as my story involved the wife waiting for the husband to finish work (power station) but never retuning to her... he actually dies (she learns this early on)...plot twist she is actually happy about it which the reader learns through her attitude/flashbacks...sounds silly in summary but thats was it and I was happy in the end :)
« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 06:15:44 pm by WLalex »
"You don't want to look back and know you could have done better"

2016: Advanced English, Mathematics , Extension Maths, Chemistry, SOR II, PDHPE

ATAR: 97.70

Aurora2698

• Fresh Poster
  • School: Marist College Penshurst
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #86 on: October 13, 2016, 05:39:20 pm »
The comprehension was hellish, particularly for the second and fourth texts. For the second one I contrasted between the awe at the 'deadness' of the whale and the 'alive' feeling the narrator felt as they sketched it. The fourth one involved something about 'evolving perspectives' regarding the butterflies... probably not the best thing I could have used. I found the way the questions were structured interesting, particularly how there was less choice in terms of texts I could use for the longer response answer. The creative question was the one thing I didn't want to deal with but I managed to shoehorn the fourth stimulus into my story. I took the wording of the question very literally so the entirety of the second half of my creative was centred around that setting. The essay wasn't that bad; the one I had prepared before the exam already went into depth about 'impacts', so I just shoved the key words of the question wherever I could that made sense. All in all, I didn't find it difficult... more so different than anything.

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
« Reply #87 on: October 13, 2016, 05:50:27 pm »
The comprehension was hellish, particularly for the second and fourth texts. For the second one I contrasted between the awe at the 'deadness' of the whale and the 'alive' feeling the narrator felt as they sketched it. The fourth one involved something about 'evolving perspectives' regarding the butterflies... probably not the best thing I could have used. I found the way the questions were structured interesting, particularly how there was less choice in terms of texts I could use for the longer response answer. The creative question was the one thing I didn't want to deal with but I managed to shoehorn the fourth stimulus into my story. I took the wording of the question very literally so the entirety of the second half of my creative was centred around that setting. The essay wasn't that bad; the one I had prepared before the exam already went into depth about 'impacts', so I just shoved the key words of the question wherever I could that made sense. All in all, I didn't find it difficult... more so different than anything.

Hey Aurora, welcome to the forums!! Was definitely on the strange end, but then again, there's only been one Discovery exam before this ;) sounds like you are happy! Awesome work ;D

moisturiser

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #88 on: October 13, 2016, 07:31:17 pm »
Does anyone happen to know the name/author of the museum text?

wesadora

• Forum Regular
  • School: Arden
« Reply #89 on: October 13, 2016, 07:38:45 pm »
does it matter if you didn't/did address the image you used? Because I did, but it didn't say to - i feel like they wanted it to come through in your story without stating it so they could gauge how skilfully you actually utilised the stimulus in your writing.
meh probably doesn't matter.
Subjects: 3U Maths, Adv. English, Chemistry, Geography, PDHPE