Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 09, 2024, 10:34:48 pm

Author Topic: HSC to use laptops by 2012  (Read 3378 times)  Share 

sdhains

Re: HSC to use laptops by 2012
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2009, 09:38:39 pm »
Nice language dude!! Btw though, what happened with your quoting :P, how on earth did you manage THAT?
I have no idea. I fixed it. Don't know what went wrong :P

shinny

• VN MVP 2010
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +256
  • School: Melbourne High School
  • School Grad Year: 2008
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2009, 09:43:33 pm »
LOL we are all making it sound as if the whole world is resorting to computers. When theoretically we are only talking about 12 hours of total exam time to type. I am sure people will ALWAYS love/need the want for people to hand-write. Look at BOOKS for example, and NEWSPAPERS, everybody thought they will die out due to online updates and news, yet they still have survived (till this day)

BTW, isn't it interesting how 12 hours worth of exams dictates 50% of your study score! 12 hours!

Your ignoring the implications of having exams on computers. Every class will be computer based, and all exam preparation will be computer based in order to prepare for the conditions of the exam. Clearly, handwriting and typing would swap places in terms of use.

Then there's the implications of having an education system focused on the use computers of course, given that the education system really forms the foundation for a large proportion of society (not sure whether you were inferring this or not, so sorry if you were, it wasn't really made clear).
MBBS (hons) - Monash University

YR11 '07: Biology 49
YR12 '08: Chemistry 47; Spesh 41; Methods 49; Business Management 50; English 43

ENTER: 99.70

xXNovaxX

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2009, 09:46:36 pm »
Haha, I bet the NSW Education Board is following our analysis very closely. I never thoguht of how schools will start turning more to computers (as you suggested) once exam becomes computer based.

sdhains

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2009, 09:51:41 pm »
LOL we are all making it sound as if the whole world is resorting to computers. When theoretically we are only talking about 12 hours of total exam time to type. I am sure people will ALWAYS love/need the want for people to hand-write. Look at BOOKS for example, and NEWSPAPERS, everybody thought they will die out due to online updates and news, yet they still have survived (till this day)

BTW, isn't it interesting how 12 hours worth of exams dictates 50% of your study score! 12 hours!

Your ignoring the implications of having exams on computers. Every class will be computer based, and all exam preparation will be computer based in order to prepare for the conditions of the exam. Clearly, handwriting and typing would swap places in terms of use.

Then there's the implications of having an education system focused on the use computers of course, given that the education system really forms the foundation for a large proportion of society (not sure whether you were inferring this or not, so sorry if you were, it wasn't really made clear).
Sorry I think I may have confused you. Basically, I was trying to say that if computers were what you use on the exam, obviously most exam preparation would be on computers. This in itself would encourage typing to usurp handwriting.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 09:55:12 pm by sam5 »

shinny

• VN MVP 2010
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +256
  • School: Melbourne High School
  • School Grad Year: 2008
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2009, 09:57:23 pm »

Sorry I think I may have confused you. Basically, I was trying to say that if computers were what you use on the exam, obviously most exam preparation would be on computers. This in itself would encourage typing to usurp handwriting.

Yeh, wasn't sure whether you meant it would solely in an educational domain, or societal (and I actually still don't).
MBBS (hons) - Monash University

YR11 '07: Biology 49
YR12 '08: Chemistry 47; Spesh 41; Methods 49; Business Management 50; English 43

ENTER: 99.70

sdhains

« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2009, 09:59:33 pm »

Yeh, wasn't sure whether you meant it would solely in an educational domain, or societal (and I actually still don't).
Both really, but mostly educational.

ninwa

• Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1021
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2009, 10:52:06 pm »
There is something rather beautiful about picking up a pen and using our bare hands to transpose our ideas onto paper.
I feel this way too. I hate the fact that the course I do means that I spend most of my time typing (lecturers speak too fast). I love putting pen to paper. If I had a choice I'd probably pick a handwriting exam.
ExamPro enquiries to [email protected]