Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 21, 2024, 07:42:49 am

Author Topic: New uni students: how are you feeling?  (Read 12648 times)  Share 

Vaike

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +236
Re: New uni students: how are you feeling?
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2018, 05:55:14 pm »
+9
I'm excited of course, but also feeling quite overwhelmed by all the options. There's so many units to pick from, and I'm having a really difficult time narrowing it down to 4 to study this first semester. Apart from that however, really looking forward to getting back into some sort of routine, as well as meeting many new people and getting to study more science! :)

Quantum44

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +313
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2018, 06:07:49 pm »
+11
I am incredibly excited to start university, the course looks fantastic and my subjects sound very interesting. It’s also a nice feeling to be moving on from the school environment into something fresh. That being said, I’m quite apprehensive about moving away from home as I’m a fairly cautious person and haven’t experienced a lot; but what’s the point on being young and not taking a few risks or going on an adventure.
UAdel MBBS

lilyrosee

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +25
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2018, 06:37:14 pm »
+6
I am excited about my new subjects because they are essentially my favourite ones from VCE. I am also excited to meet people doing the same subjects as me because they are quite niche - I know the people doing them will definitely have similar interests to me. I also know my way around campus relatively well so that is a bonus but I am just nervous about continuing to excel in my subjects because I really want to go on and do a Masters.
2016: Psychology
2017: English [47] | Literature | Drama [42] | Media | Australian History [43]
2018 - 2020: Bachelor of Arts @ the University of Melbourne

VCE English Essay Marking $10 per essay or 3 essays for $20 - DM for details

pimpmyride

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2018, 02:11:16 pm »
+1
pretty shit honestly- i'm not good at change. i despised school and i fear uni will be the same. i'm very doubtful i'll make any friends (as i know no one at uni), i'm going into a course idk about and am doing it mainly because i got a good atar, idk where my head's at...i feel pretty numb about the whole thing.

Coffee

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +322
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2018, 02:24:03 pm »
+3
pretty shit honestly- i'm not good at change. i despised school and i fear uni will be the same. i'm very doubtful i'll make any friends (as i know no one at uni), i'm going into a course idk about and am doing it mainly because i got a good atar, idk where my head's at...i feel pretty numb about the whole thing.
Sorry to hear that.

What course are you doing?

Have you considered taking a gap year?

Unfortunately, change is inevitable. I’d recommend giving it a go. Go to O-Week and see what interests you. Societies can be a great way to make friends, as is volunteering. You might be pleasantly surprised. :)

If it doesn’t work out, you can always defer your course, or transfer to a different one later.

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2018, 02:28:13 pm »
+6
Quote from: pimpmyride
doing it mainly because i got a good atar
Really you should be doing something that you're interested in and can see yourself doing in the future as a career. I know people that have achieved 90+ as an ATAR and have chosen a course that required an ATAR of 55-60. It's not bad or shameful etc to choose a course with a lower ATAR requirement than what you achieve. It is your life and you need to choose something that will benefit you long term.

A bachelor degree is typically 3 years, 4 years if you're super lucky. To be honest, if you aren't doing something you're interested in, you will have a very difficult time getting through the duration of that degree. It's no wonder there are so many people transferring to other disciplines throughout their duration. In the end, transferring adds time and money. Is that really worth the change of direction? I'd say yes if you absolutely hate the course, if you're on the fence.. i don't know.

My advice to you would be to figure out whether the degree you are starting is the right one, fast. Transfer within the first year if you need to. That is really the benefit of university. If you decide one day that you absolutely hate what you're doing, you can change direction and do something that you're interested in. Now, you are responsible for your own learning and direction in life.

i'm very doubtful i'll make any friends (as i know no one at uni)
I was in the same position as you when I was at university. My friends weren't "academic" (that's probably the best word I can use at the moment), and none of them went to university. There are many ways to make friends, the most common being societies/clubs and speaking to people in tutorial classes/lectures/etc.

I think for me, it took a good 4 months or so to start getting social. It was a brand new environment, which I wasn't used to. Doing the same thing (in terms of school/routine etc) for 6 years (assuming you've been at the same school since year 7) ensures that anything else is foreign. Put that into perspective.. you've been at school since you were really young, high school since you were 12-13 years old. It really is a scary thought to go somewhere new and leave what you know behind.

It is true that it is more difficult to make friends at university, purely because the timetabling of university means that students are all over the place and no two people are guaranteed to have the same timetable (it could happen by chance, but you'd have to be pretty lucky for that to happen).

It's not like high school where you're with the same people for the entire school day and can hang out at lunch etc.. it's a very different environment and you have to be willing to put in the effort. If you isolate yourself, it isn't going to happen. If you don't speak to anybody, it isn't going to happen.

pretty shit honestly- i'm not good at change.
Mate, I don't think anybody is good at change. I don't think there would be many people that could honestly say they willingly accept change and don't feel anxious about it. All you can really do is take the leap and hope that it all works out. Access support services if you need to and put yourself out there.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 02:34:48 pm by Aaron »
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

pimpmyride

• Adventurer
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2018, 02:35:59 pm »
@Coffee I'm doing law/arts at monash. haven't organised anything for a gap so thats out of the question.
@Aaron the problem is nothing interests me. i'm not really good at anything apart from completely isolating myself and studying until i collapse (not even kidding i went to hospital twice in VCE). i've searched through all the courses from unis and all of them sound like such a drag, at this stage the idea of getting any sort of permanent job/career in the future makes me sick to the stomach. i went to a careers counsellor and we went through them all and she ended up saying "well if you hate all prospects its probably better to just try something out and get a job that has low hours so i can have a vastly enjoyable life". i have no dreams, no hopes, no nothing. at this point i dont know what i'm doing so i'm just doing what's expected.

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2018, 02:40:10 pm »
+6
University might just be that inspiration you need. I hated maths in high school and in my first semester of uni, I took a subject that completely amazed me and I loved it so much that I took it on as a minor (in addition to my degree). I had absolutely no intentions of doing it when I started, but that changed my perspective.

In your situation, you have two different areas (law/arts) that you can explore. You might love one of them and hate the other - in that case you can drop one (subject to uni policies). It is quite flexible.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 02:41:58 pm by Aaron »
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

nice!

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +30
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2018, 10:13:44 pm »
+10
I'm actually pretty excited to start uni, mainly because I NEED the routine back in my life and am not really coping too well atm without it ! But obviously I'm pretty nervous to make a start due to the new social circles that will be formed, as well as just the assessments for uni being very daunting.

I'm still trying to decide whether to go on law camp or not, so I can meet some new people before actual classes start. Then again, just thinking about meeting new people is kinda intimidating !!! So I can't really decide if I'm keen on the idea of camp or not.
Most of my friends are going to Monash too so hopefully I'll still be able to see them a lot, even if it's just for lunch on campus or something.

I honestly just cannot wait to get started though, these holidays have gone on for long enough and I am very excited to start my course :)
2017 ATAR: 99.00
2018: Laws (Honours) / Biomedical Science @ Monash University

Vaike

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +236
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2018, 10:22:46 pm »
+4

I'm actually pretty excited to start uni, mainly because I NEED the routine back in my life and am not really coping too well atm without it !

I miss the routine too ;-; I've had to make my own one in the meantime but tbh I haven't been sticking to it too well.

I'm still trying to decide whether to go on law camp or not, so I can meet some new people before actual classes start.

I'd definitely recommend going! Meeting new people is scary, but what better time to do it? I know if I didn't go I'd end up regretting it later.

The Special One

• Forum Obsessive
  • Do not touch the great one
  • Respect: -14
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2018, 03:14:35 pm »
Go to your orientation day guys lol when I went to Monash day 1 I arrived late and had no idea where u was going or where anything was.

It's so different from school and a huge transition
Bachelor of Laws @ Monash (2nd year)

Feel free to PM me about anything, happy to give advice about school and/or uni.

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2018, 03:33:42 pm »
+1
Go to your orientation day guys lol when I went to Monash day 1 I arrived late and had no idea where u was going or where anything was.

It's so different from school and a huge transition

Good advice. If you have your timetable, I'd recommend even finding your first lecture theatres/lab rooms/tutorial rooms/whatever else in advance, so that you have an idea of where to go when classes actually start. :)

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

AceVentura

• Adventurer
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2018, 12:00:14 am »
I’m kind of dreading uni, the whole making friends part. Being so used to the same group of people for 13 years and the BAM! a whole new set of faces with people you share nothing in common with. Add in the fact that my campus is the smallest out of all the campuses means there aren’t that much diversity in the types of clubs and societies (they’re all boring and unappealing). Basically not hyped for it in the slightest, my course is meh, I like it but isn’t something I’m passionate about.

Im dreading the whole “independent studying” thing as a barely made through year 12, and thats with teachers hounding me. I CANT stick to a schedule or a timetable for something odd reason no matter hon many times I try, but I don’t really want to fail anything so ???? I dont know what I’m gonna do in all honesty.

So yeah, not excited but the campus is pretty CUTE, I love the whole aesthetic it has going on

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2018, 08:12:05 am »
+1
^What are you studying? :)

On friends, I reckon you'd be surprised about how much you actually do share with at least some of the other students. Perhaps not in terms of shared context or whatever (because you haven't met them yet), but in terms of interests, or personality. You won't click with everybody, of course, but I'm sure there are at least a few you'd get along with!

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

AceVentura

• Adventurer
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2018, 10:20:32 am »
+1
^What are you studying? :)

On friends, I reckon you'd be surprised about how much you actually do share with at least some of the other students. Perhaps not in terms of shared context or whatever (because you haven't met them yet), but in terms of interests, or personality. You won't click with everybody, of course, but I'm sure there are at least a few you'd get along with!

I’m doing a double degree Nursing/psychological science @ Deakin