Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 03, 2024, 09:00:16 am

Author Topic: A humanities student who dislikes maths doing commerce ?  (Read 3699 times)  Share 

paulsterio

• ATAR Notes Legend
  • I <3 2SHAN
  • Respect: +430
Re: A humanities student who dislikes maths doing commerce ?
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2012, 11:10:05 pm »
I know everyone says 'looks like arts might be better for you to JD', but I'm just going to give you a more realistic approach. JD is ridiculously hard to get into (probably on par with MD), and not everyone can get in. My opinion is, yes, do a Commerce degree with at least, a major that has a stable industry. Obviously, that'd mean accounting. So if you don't get to JD, you can fall back to your accounting major to get a job, or something like that.

There are other stable majors besides accounting, as far as I know (which is not much). Accountants also have high suicide rates :\

aes_999

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +47
  • School: Melbourne High School
  • School Grad Year: 2011
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2012, 11:14:23 pm »
+3
I know everyone says 'looks like arts might be better for you to JD', but I'm just going to give you a more realistic approach. JD is ridiculously hard to get into (probably on par with MD), and not everyone can get in. My opinion is, yes, do a Commerce degree with at least, a major that has a stable industry. Obviously, that'd mean accounting. So if you don't get to JD, you can fall back to your accounting major to get a job, or something like that.

There are other stable majors besides accounting, as far as I know (which is not much). Accountants also have high suicide rates :\

I'm outraged man. Accounting is probably the most stable industry you can pick in the commerce degree. And plus, as an aspiring accountant (nah not really), I can point out that doctors have a HIGHER suicide rate than accountants  :P.
B.Comm / B.Eco @ Monash 2012 - 2015

Research Assistant, Faculty of Business and Economics, Monash University

sluu001

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +28
  • School: University of Melbourne
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2012, 11:22:08 pm »
Oh Whoops,

I misread your signature. Thought you were completing a a commerce degree at Melbourne - where it is actually impossible to complete a 3rd commerce major.

Greatness

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +103
  • School Grad Year: 2011
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2012, 11:36:46 pm »
+7
I don't understand why people refer to suicide rates of certain careers a lot lol not like you're going to base your future on something that has a low/high suicide rate, if you love what you're doing why does it matter?

But yeah as people have said above, math will get pretty intense in some majors and not as much in others. There will be some math involved in the core units you take but it will ultimately depend on what major you want to do.

mark_alec

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +30
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2012, 10:52:51 am »
JD is ridiculously hard to get into (probably on par with MD), and not everyone can get in.
The JD program is not that difficult to get into.

To the original poster: study arts as that is what you have an interest in.

inc0gnito

« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2012, 11:52:03 am »
What is actually required to get into JD ?

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Doctor.
  • Respect: +2376