Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 02:19:37 am

Author Topic: Should I do a VCE subject in Year 10?  (Read 7011 times)

nolongerhuman

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Should I do a VCE subject in Year 10?
« on: December 14, 2020, 08:02:07 pm »
Hi, I'm currently in Year 9 and I am debating whether or not to do a VCE subject in Year 10. My choices are:
  • General Mathematics
  • Bridging English as an Additional Language: Units 1 and 2
  • VCE Business Management Units: 1 & 2
  • Applied Computing Units: 1 & 2
  • VCE History Twentieth Century Units: 1 & 2
  • Legal Studies Units: 1 & 2
  • VCE Outdoor & Environmental Studies Units: 1 & 2
  • VCE Psychology Units: 1 & 2
I am leaning towards doing Applied Computing because I feel like I'd be best at it. Truthfully, I have zero interest in any of the subjects listed, but I was told that doing a VCE subject in Year 10 would reduce the workload later on and be beneficial in the long term. Is there any in particular that I should do, or is it better just not to do one at all?

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
Re: Should I do a VCE subject in Year 10?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2020, 08:17:26 pm »
+3
It can be good to do a Unit 1&2 subject in year 10 to help you get used to what's involved in a VCE subject and the like, but honestly if you're not particularly interested by any and don't think you'd be well engaged then I wouldn't bother. Even if you don't do a Unit 1&2 subject in Year 10, you can still do a Unit 3&4 subject in Year 11 (a lot of Unit 3&4 subjects don't require the Unit 1&2 as previous knowledge or are completely unrelated).

Personally I did Unit 1&2 History in Year 10, really enjoyed it and did well in it (and I found it prepared me well for doing all my other VCE subjects) but that was because I was interested in it, so it was easy for me to be engaged and do all the required tasks and the like. Comparatively, I had plenty of friends that didn't do a Unit 1&2 Subject in Year 10 (usually because there wasn't one they liked available) and it didn't negatively impact them at all (some still did a 3&4 subject in Year 11, others didn't).