Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 01:58:06 pm

Author Topic: How did the bio exam go?  (Read 2290 times)

SaladPimp

• Adventurer
How did the bio exam go?
« on: October 29, 2021, 12:28:45 pm »
Just wondering what everyone feels about it

bluebird

• Forum Regular
  • (she/her)
Re: How did the bio exam go?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2021, 01:09:17 pm »
I felt like that was one of the harder one of this study design. I feel like I lost so many marks. I second guessed my initially correct answers and changed them to what I now know is wrong. The first question itself in short answer really threw me off. Overall I felt like it was not one of my better Biology exams. I suppose I'm glad its over. How about others?
VCE 2021: Biology | HHD [50]
VCE 2022: Methods | Chemistry | Literature | English Language

specimen

• Adventurer
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2021, 01:14:55 pm »
I found it quite difficult as well. A lot of questions I've discussed with friends and pretty sure I've got them wrong.  Multiple choice got me scared too there were a few questions which took up the whole page and so much stem.

SaladPimp

• Adventurer
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2021, 01:19:38 pm »
There definitely wasn't enough space to answer the questions properly. I had to write so small to make space that I messed up my handwriting.

AbdullahBakerHamdi

• Adventurer
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2021, 01:51:54 pm »
To be honest I expected not to do very well, but I feel like this exam in comparison to other years was harder, and I feel like there definitely wasn't enough space for a lot of short answer questions. I had a lot of questions where I knew I wasn't get it right, so i made up weird stuff to try get like 1-2/3 marks or whatever.

metalfistterrorist_

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2021, 04:00:54 pm »
They definitely need to standardise the exams better. 2019 was incredibly easy for anyone who did it. The content covered each year varies wildly, like, fair enough, it's bio, but to have one exam so easy and then this year's exam be a fair bit harder. idk. It wasn't too horrible. Also, they give you the same space for a 5 mark question as a 2 mark question. Overall, not too bad though.

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2021, 06:54:13 pm »
They definitely need to standardise the exams better. 2019 was incredibly easy for anyone who did it. The content covered each year varies wildly, like, fair enough, it's bio, but to have one exam so easy and then this year's exam be a fair bit harder. idk. It wasn't too horrible. Also, they give you the same space for a 5 mark question as a 2 mark question. Overall, not too bad though.
There isn't any need to standardise the exams between years because there's no comparison between years! If this years exam was significantly harder (as measured by low scores overall) then it'll scale up. Don't worry about finding it harder than previous years - everyone you're being compared to did the same exam as you.
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra

Stormbreaker-X

• Forum Leader
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2021, 06:59:00 pm »
I found the exam this year slightly more challenging, but I am glad aerobic respiration wasn't as heavily examined as previous years otherwise I would have been screwed. This year the big issue for me was space, it appears there wasn't enough space to write much or go into deep detail.

Jac_k

• Adventurer
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2021, 09:45:17 am »
Slightly curious now. I did 3/4 Bio last year (thank god), and my score gets scaled with this years group, so if it was a harder exam does that mean my scaling is going to be better or worse? Or is it still just left to the VCAA gods to do whatever it is they do with scaling.

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2021, 10:51:41 am »
Slightly curious now. I did 3/4 Bio last year (thank god), and my score gets scaled with this years group, so if it was a harder exam does that mean my scaling is going to be better or worse? Or is it still just left to the VCAA gods to do whatever it is they do with scaling.
Your score gets scaled with regards to the year you completed bio. You just get that scaled score when you complete vce.

Also scaling is more about how strong the overall cohort of bio is rather than exam difficulty.