Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 07, 2024, 05:44:41 pm

Author Topic: I知 so confused over Society and Biology  (Read 1338 times)

Razeen25

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +21
I知 so confused over Society and Biology
« on: October 30, 2017, 11:56:53 pm »
I知 really confused about whether I should drop Society and culture or Biology. I知 currently doing 12 units, and I have basically no free periods (just how my school works), and I really want to only do 10 units. I feel as if the extra time to study would be really beneficial to me.
I really want to drop either Biology or Society and culture, as these two subjects are my weakest. I did better in Society and culture than biology in my preliminary yearlies, however I absolutely hate Society and culture itself. I find it incredibly boring and have no interest in it whatsoever. Although my grades in biology aren稚 good, I somewhat enjoy learning it (although not as much as my favourite subject Business Studies).

But then, my Biology teacher is really bad. She doesn稚 explain concepts properly, pretty much the entire class fails, and I only really learn when I go home and try to self-teach myself. But on the other hand, my Society and culture teacher is brilliant (in terms of teaching the course content). And that痴 why I知 in such a dilemma.
Better grades + better teacher + boring subject vs. bad teacher + bad grades + interesting subject.

If anyone has any advice, it would be much appreciated!
HSC 2018 || Biology (90) || Business Studies (94) || English Advanced (87) || Legal Studies (91) || General Mathematics 2 (95) ||
ATAR: 96.20

Potatohater

• Forum Leader
  • All the world's a stage & this is my improvisation
  • Respect: +302
Re: I知 so confused over Society and Biology
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2017, 06:32:09 am »
+2
Despite the better grades and better teacher I'd drop society.
You are more likely to do well in a subject you love then a subject you hate, especially cause if you keep society those marks could drop because you hate it so much. I dropped the subject I was coming 1st in because I hated it and it's sooooo much better now, allowing me to top the things I love such as geography and improve greatly in English and drama. I'm sure if I'd have kept it I would have lost motivation and let my grades plummet. Also society and culture has a major work which is gonna be such a struggle if you hate what you are doing.
As for your bio teacher being shit, there is an abundance of resources out there for self learning. Not ideal, I know, but at least there are so many that it's not as if you will struggle to find the infomation, especially cause you have ATAR notes  :)
I don't know what your class is like but maybe you can just ignore the teacher and go on with learning it independently if she's really that bad. And since you find bio interesting I'm sure you'll find the motivation to push through the struggles of having a bad teacher. So yeah, that's what I would do.
HSC 2017: Advanced English [85] General Maths [92] Biology [96] Geography [92] Drama [86]

2018: Bachelor of Arts and Advanced Studies at University of Sydney

-- need a tutor for any of the subjects listed above?? I reckon I'm the girl! Just message me on ATAR notes or here--

Lumenoria

• MOTM: JUN 18
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +85
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2017, 04:30:50 pm »
Agreed with the above, I made the mistake of taking a subject that I absolutely despised. Needless to say, it was hell. Once I dropped it, it was like I could breathe again lol. Drop society.
HSC 2018 (ATAR 96.35) - English Advanced (96) | Mathematics General (87) | Legal Studies (94) | Economics (89) | Industrial Technology (94)

willstudyforcookies

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2017, 11:52:26 am »
Yeah definitely drop society
1. Biology gets alot better in year 12 - the year 11 course is terribly boring in comparison to the HSC one - so if you liked prelim you'll love the HSC course
2. There are heaps of online youtube tutorials for biology. My personal favourite is HSC Hero - which is like HSC hub but is free (instead of paying $500) they do video tutorials on each topic that are super easy to follow and they give you worksheets and stuff to do as well.

Razeen25

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +21
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2017, 01:30:43 pm »
Agreed with the above, I made the mistake of taking a subject that I absolutely despised. Needless to say, it was hell. Once I dropped it, it was like I could breathe again lol. Drop society.
Despite the better grades and better teacher I'd drop society.
You are more likely to do well in a subject you love then a subject you hate, especially cause if you keep society those marks could drop because you hate it so much. I dropped the subject I was coming 1st in because I hated it and it's sooooo much better now, allowing me to top the things I love such as geography and improve greatly in English and drama. I'm sure if I'd have kept it I would have lost motivation and let my grades plummet. Also society and culture has a major work which is gonna be such a struggle if you hate what you are doing.
As for your bio teacher being shit, there is an abundance of resources out there for self learning. Not ideal, I know, but at least there are so many that it's not as if you will struggle to find the infomation, especially cause you have ATAR notes  :)
I don't know what your class is like but maybe you can just ignore the teacher and go on with learning it independently if she's really that bad. And since you find bio interesting I'm sure you'll find the motivation to push through the struggles of having a bad teacher. So yeah, that's what I would do.
Yeah definitely drop society
1. Biology gets alot better in year 12 - the year 11 course is terribly boring in comparison to the HSC one - so if you liked prelim you'll love the HSC course
2. There are heaps of online youtube tutorials for biology. My personal favourite is HSC Hero - which is like HSC hub but is free (instead of paying $500) they do video tutorials on each topic that are super easy to follow and they give you worksheets and stuff to do as well.

Thank you guys so much for replying!! This helped a lot and I appreciate it a lot!! :)
HSC 2018 || Biology (90) || Business Studies (94) || English Advanced (87) || Legal Studies (91) || General Mathematics 2 (95) ||
ATAR: 96.20