Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 10, 2024, 02:06:12 pm

Author Topic: Free AOS essay Marking!  (Read 181911 times)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
Re: Free AOS essay Marking!
« Reply #315 on: January 12, 2017, 04:00:08 pm »
Hi,
Could you please check this essay? Thanks :)

Sure! I'll get on it this evening ;D

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #316 on: January 13, 2017, 12:11:31 am »
Hi,
Could you please check this essay? Thanks :)

Hey! Your essay is attached below with comments in bold:

Essay
“The most significant ramifications of any discovery is change”
Discuss the view with detailed reference to your prescribed text and ONE other related text of your own choosing.

Change is a significant ramification of discovery because it can permanently challenge preconceived ideas. This idea doesn't quite flow nicely - If you take the middle bit out, right now it says "change challenges preconceived ideas." This seems a little ambiguous. An individual’s personal and emotional evolution is determined by their experiences and response to discovery. Really like this amplification, but try to elaborate on discovery - I'd replace it with something like 'transformative experiences' or similar. Discovery by itself doesn't mean much, because it is so broad. Hence, the extent as to which change being the ‘most’ significant ramification of discovery is determined by one’s willingness to make connections people and places and is also determined by how intense and personal the discovery is. A little bit of a syntax error there, read that sentence aloud. It's missing a word/thought somewhere I think? The planned discovery in Ivan O’Mahoney’s televised SBS documentary series Go Back To Where You Came From explores how change is a ramification through the discovery of the refugee reality, however the most significant ramification is determined by one’s willingness to explore. The poem Mid-Term Break by Seamus Heanny conveys how change is most definitely a ramification of an emotional discovery. Different types of discoveries have different ramifications based on the experiences found on one’s process of discovery, hence change is significant at times but not so at other times. I feel like this introduction has all the pieces, but everything hasn't quite been linked. Particularly, I'm looking for a more specific and coherent concept. A bit more detail about what is changing, why it is changing - More elaboration of the key ideas presented in the question. Right now, I can't really take everything you have talked about in the intro and summarise it in a sentence - I should be able to do this easily!

Mahoney clearly shows how one’s willingness to make connections with their surroundings determines the degree as to which they will change as a result of discovering. Discovering what? Again, remember that the term discovery needs to be elaborated as it is used. The confronting discoveries experienced in Go Back To Where You Came From were evoked by a careful planning process. Adam Hartup is introduced at the start of the documentary through a close-up shot and personal interview. The mis-en-scene of the coastal background supports his claims of being a ‘shire boy,’ before he states that all boat people are ‘criminals.’ Great use of techniques! Be careful that you actually do something with them though - Right now you are close to just restating what happened in the text. That is retell! Similarly, a close-up shot of Darren introduces him as a firm believer that “all people who arrive by boat without documentation should be immediately expatriated.” LOVE that you integrate the quote into your sentence - That is really tricky to do well, nicely done. How does this relate to your concept though? Again, be sure to do something with your evidence. His high modality tone indicates that Darren is not very willing to be receptive to the future discoveries he will make. Thus demonstrating __________ for the audience. What is the composer trying to convey? Conversely, despite Adam calling refugees “criminals” he does acknowledge through dialogue that he is “apprehensive.” His apprehensive choice of words indicates that he recognises that he is not controlling the situation and is open to the way how this planned journey will affect him. How does this relate to the concept? Right now you are explaining what happens in the text, you need to go bigger. Relate it to the concept you are exploring in a broader sense - Don't just explain what the technique reveals about the characters. This difference in readiness to make connections to their discoveries, affect their personal ramifications of the discovery and is particularly highlighted in the Malaysian Raid Scene. You started to go conceptual in the first half of that sentence! The hand-held camera and night-vision allows the audience to be integrated into the raid and creating a real experience, giving rise to an appreciation of the circumstances and discoveries. There we go - Excellent audience integration. The zoom up of Adam’s face reveals the devastation he is witnessing and how the discovery of the treatment of refugees has surprised and challenged him. Again - Go bigger than characters. Contrasting to Adam’s experience, Darren only makes a blunt comment on how impressed he was by the size of the convoy as he calls the situation “pretty pumpy,” while subtly smiling, revealed by the close-up shot. Adam’s discovery that challenged and changed his views was made much earlier than Darren purely because Adam was aware and open to make connections with people and places. Retell. Through dialogue he states, “if I were one of them…I’d get on a boat,” highlighting that when one encounters a confronting and provocative discovery, their perception of the outside world are altered. That's better - See how you talked about a concept more broadly than just the text there? You didn't just explain the character, you pointed to the character and said 'This characters shows us ________ about discovery. Nice! For Darren however, it was only when he was speaking with Wasmi’s mother, when he began to appreciate the complexity of the refugee issue. This is where he was willing to be open and make a genuine connection with a person, highlighting how relationships between individuals can stimulate their process of discovery leading to a renewed transformation of self. A close-up shot of Darren when asked what he would do about the Australian refugee issue, reveals the surprising truth as he says “’It’s difficult question to answer,” emphasising how one may question or reflect upon their assumptions when confronted with provocative discoveries. Great. The difference in response by Adam and Darren to the challenging and confronting discovery of the refugee life was determined by their original willingness to make connections. Though both participants did change as a consequence of discovering the refugee reality, it wasn’t the most significant ramification. (should I give an example of what the most significant ramification was or do I just leave it there) I think a little more elaboration would help here - So perhaps you should compare it to the most significant ramification. Could work a little better.

The statement “the most significant ramification of any discovery is change” is also challenged by Gleny’s character in Go Back. Gleny was already empathetic and had thorough knowledge towards refugees. Retell. Her personal interviews show evidence of this “I would love to have a refugee come and stay with me, I think detention centres are inhumane.”  Technique? Through the social experiment, she does willingly explore the life of a refugee which emotionally affects her, as seen through her concerned tone in “It’s a very tense situation.” However, by the end of her journey, she doesn’t necessarily change or her prior assumptions and beliefs are not challenged, revealed in her statement,” we take our freedom for granted.” Rather her discovery of the harsh refugee crisis, reaffirmed her beliefs. Hence the statement “the most significant ramification of any discovery is change,” is proven incorrect through Gleny’s journey, showing that the most significant ramification of any discovery can also be a sense of relief and confirmation to one’s assumptions and initial views. Nice connection to the question at the end there - But this analysis was a little too character focused. No broader extrapolation. Further, look at the length of your paragraphs here - This one is much shorter than the others. This creates a significant imbalance - You need to bring everything a little closer together.

Contrasting to Go Back, Mid-Term Break reveals how one’s experience of discovering something tragic, does result in change. Nice transition to your ORT, very smooth. A deep and meaningful discovery is revealed in Mid-Term Break, which was not evoked by a carefully planned process, but of a spontaneous and unexpected death. Nice elaboration. The father undergoes a personal and emotional discovery as he discovers the death of his son. Retell - Always ask yourself, 'Would someone who has read the text get anything new from this sentence?' The narrator expresses “I met my father crying,” which contrasts against him always taking “funerals by his stride.” This strongly highlights how significant an emotional and personal discovery can be as it changes one’s mental stability, as the situation has become personal. Good concept - But there was no technique there. Your analysis must have a technique! The father’s ‘change’ is also reemphasised through the poem’s historical context. The poem was set in the 1950s, where the figure of a father was patriarchal and was not expected to show much emotion. However, the discovery of the father’s son in this poem challenges this expectation, accentuating that the most significant response of any discovery, particularly the discovery of a family member, is change. Elaborate here - What changes? The evolution of human perceptivity is largely driven by a certain experience that occurred before a sudden discovery. The mother’s response to the sudden discovery of death is expressed through the emotive language “coughed out angry, tearless sighs,” indicating that she had already cried and accepted the outcome, and now the only next emotion she is able to express is anger. This highlights the change in emotional response that discovery results in. The implication here is that she cried so much that there is nothing more to cry but incensed by the driver’s failure to avoid her son, “the bumper knocked him clear,” highlighting how the discovery changed her in the sense that she came to understand the reality of the situation, forcing her to express her anger. Therefore, Mid-Term Break’s reveals that change being a significant ramification of discovery, purely relies on the intensity of the discovery, which would determine the extent as to which one will change. It is when an individual is in a time of difficult, their values can influence their process of discovery, resulting in a transformative change for the individual. Little syntax error in the middle there, 'time of difficult' needs a fix.

Change being the most significant ramification of discovery is conveyed in Mid-Term Break but not to a great extent in Go Back To Where You Came From. Try to start your conclusion with a conceptual statement - Essentially a restatement of your Thesis. It is the willingness to make connections with one’s surroundings and how personal the discovery is that truly determines whether a change is a significant ramification of discovery. This conclusion is a little short - Try to elaborate on the ideas you've explored just a little bit more.

I think this essay has a lot going for it. Excellent use of techniques in almost all areas (a few places where it was missing), some great concepts at play too. Let me give you two main points to work on in addition to the comments throughout:

1 - The big place for you to cut down your word count is on textual retell. There are sections where you are retelling events, explaining the thoughts/impacts on characters, and similar. This is textual retell because it isn't directly communicating everything about your concept. You need to ensure every sentence (or every set of sentences on the same idea) has a direct link to the concept. You did this really well in some places (and I identify where), but in many places it becomes too 'text driven.' This happens when you focus on the characters and the plot, rather than the concept.
Trim your words by trimming the retell.

2- Work on your conceptual clarity. There are a number of places (and again, I tell you where in a few spots) where I'm looking for a bit of elaboration. Your paragraphs keep the focus on a single idea for the most part, but at times your exploration of that idea is a little superficial. Reducing retell and improving your conceptual approach could address this automatically. What would also help is tidying up your Thesis - More clearly defining what you consider to be 'change,' why it happens, and what affects it. This will make the paragraphs feel more cohesive and perhaps make the whole essay a little more conceptually direct.

As a final tip - Remember that all your analysis should go to TEA: Technique, Explain, Audience. With every quote; identify the technique(s) used, explain the composer's intention/link to the concept, then acknowledge the impact it has on the audience. This is a great way to ensure you keep away from a text-focused response - Notice there is nowhere in that template for explaining plot/characters :)

I hope this is helpful! Let me know if I can elaborate on this feedback for you :)

armtistic

• Forum Regular
« Reply #317 on: January 13, 2017, 11:18:32 am »
Hi,

After a few hiccups with related texts I've finally managed to put together an essay  and I'd appreciate if someone could look over it ;D

I probably need to cut down on this essay and also include more impacts on the audience so if you find anywhere I could cut down or insert those things that'd be great too  ;D

As a side-note, should linking sentences relate the idea of a paragraph more to the thesis statement or to the question itself?
ATAR: 99.70

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #318 on: January 13, 2017, 01:38:15 pm »
Hi,

After a few hiccups with related texts I've finally managed to put together an essay  and I'd appreciate if someone could look over it ;D

I probably need to cut down on this essay and also include more impacts on the audience so if you find anywhere I could cut down or insert those things that'd be great too  ;D

As a side-note, should linking sentences relate the idea of a paragraph more to the thesis statement or to the question itself?

Sure! I'll  probably get on that tonight, but maybe a little longer ;D

On that side note - Your linking sentence should bring the idea of your paragraph together with your Thesis statement. It can link a bit to the question too, it can be a good thing to add - But the key is to make it clear that the idea you've just discussed is related to your Thesis ;D

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #319 on: January 14, 2017, 03:01:38 pm »
Hi,

Alright here you are! Your essay is attached in the spoiler below with comments throughout in bold:

Essay
“Experiencing beyond our horizons allows us to achieve greater understandings and form renewed perceptions of ourselves and others.” To what degree do your texts support this statement?

Venturing beyond our own horizons, as well as experiencing the worlds of others, will often lead to experiences of self-realization and prompt change within ourselves and those we meet. Great Thesis - I'd like to see you elaborate on it a bit more though. What sorts of things change, perhaps? Just to go a bit beyond just restating the question itself. Michael Gow’s play Away and Stephen Chbosky’s film The Perks of Being a Wallflower, both demonstrate that it is through the prodigious and inquisitive nature of youth that discoveries are made or precipitated. Excellent introduction to the texts. However, whilst Gow argues the necessity of understanding or undergoing loss and recovery in order to renew ourselves, Chbosky suggests that merely confronting loss, if not overcoming it, is vital to discovery. Together, these texts demonstrate that it is delving outside our comfort zones that allow a discovery to instigate greater understandings and renewed perceptions of ourselves and others. Not much I can suggest here at all - This is a great introduction!! You may wish to briefly mention your paragraph topics to give the reader some knowledge of what is to come.

The potent enthusiasm of youth and its ability to trigger change and reformation is a pervading aspect of Gow’s Away. Great! The youth are progressive and creative and, ironically, serve as role models for the adults, exemplified through the characters of Meg and her mother. Gow’s use of juxtaposition in, “It was the girl’s idea completely… my wife, gave up… But the girl kept on at me,” highlights the contrasting ideals of Meg’s youthful vitality - which inspires change and determination - against Gwen’s resigned adult sobriety - which dissuades any opportunity for discoveries to be made. Fantastic analysis - Try to link it to the audience just a little bit more though! Right now it's sitting a little too text focused. In “Mum just wanted to get back to the Pinocleen and Rinso,” Gow uses the cleaning products as symbols of the bleak sterility of the life Gwen has grown accustomed to; demonstrating to the audience the incompatibility of the sombre adult mentality and the process of discovery unless in the presence of catalysts such as Meg. Excellent - If you are looking to trim words, you don't strictly need to tie the technique to the Gwen character. You can do the analysis without linking to the plot. That said, this is a fantastic start to this paragraph!
Tom, through his awareness of his mortality, is able to live with presence and empathize with people for who they are. This is a little bit retell-esque; try not to describe characters/plot elements by themselves, it doesn't do anything for you! When discussing Coral, Gow uses the dialogue between Meg and Tom – “is she crazy?” “She has been, she’s better now” - to highlight that it is Tom’s youthful open-mindedness that allows him to connect with Coral and become “great friends” where Roy’s dated approach failed. What does this show the audience? The greatest curative impact occurs within his allegorical play-within-a-play as he uses the line “You must no longer dwell with the whales… Go back to the land,” as a didacticism directed towards his parents and Coral - and doubtless the responder too - declaring that they must move on and return to reality after the undoubtedly painful discovery of death. I would, just ditch the bit about the parents and Coral, and just say the responder. That should always be your focus anyway! In forcing the adults outside their rigid horizons, the children demonstrate the insularity of Gwen’s lifeless adult mentality, but also their ability to engender discoveries in Coral who finally understands that she must continue to live despite the death of her son. This second half of the paragraph is a little too text focused. If you read through, you'll see you are relying just a bit more on the text, and its borderline retell at times. Try to abstract right out of the text - Pull right back until you are saying just, "This technique shows THIS to the audience." No plot details/characters necessary :)

Similarly, Chbosky’s coming-of-age film Perks follows the remarkable yet troubled youth, Charlie, as he explores the intrigues of social connection whilst still trying to discover himself. Try to explore the concept a bit more than just the plot of the film; again, avoid being too text focused. As he enters high school, Charlie is a loner who suffers from PTSD following the death of his much-loved Aunt Helen. That's retell. He eventually falls in with colourful step-siblings Patrick and Samantha and joins their circle of friends, discovering a sense of place, evidenced by the internal monologue “My favourite time, though, is lunch because I get to see Sam and Patrick.” Good start to introducing the concept - But still too text focused. The high-key lighting in the cafeteria combined with the enthusiastic body language as the friends argue cuts to a close-up of Charlie’s smiling face indicating that, in a manner similar to Coral, the unexpected rediscovery of human connection has allowed him to overcome his social anxiety, an issue many responders can relate to. Better again - Now you are tying in the audience! This is great. Still a tad too character focused - See below for an example of how I'd write this.
Charlie not only experiences his own self-discoveries, but enables those of others as well. After a disappointing result in her SAT, Charlie offers to tutor Sam to success. Retell. Through this, Sam – whose self-esteem has suffered due to poor marks and failed relationships – is provided a renewed sense of self- belief, which she attributes to Charlie, admitting she feels she now has “a chance.” Retell. Chbosky uses soft lighting and facial expressions as Sam tears up at Charlies heartfelt “It’s true. You can do it,” in order to convey that, through his youthful earnestness, Charlie catalyses Sam’s realisation of her self-worth. Thus, it is evident that in Charlie’s venturing beyond his horizons he forms renewed perceptions of himself and helps others do the same. Definitely more audience recognition required here, quite a significant chunk of this is textual retell. This is where you should focus on trimming your word count!

In Away, Gow demonstrates the necessity of undergoing and accepting loss in order to make realisations about ourselves and renew our understanding of others. Excellent first sentence. When “The fairies return and stage a spectacular storm,” Gow alludes to a similar metatheatrical storm in Shakespeare’s King Lear in order to emphasise that stripping away Gwen’s worldly possessions is necessary in opening her to discoveries. Whilst walking with Vic in the next Act, Gow uses emotional imagery in the stage directions “The women come back. They have been crying and are supporting each other,” to indicate that in Gwen’s raw state, having lost the occluding layers of material trappings in the storm, she is receptive to Vic’s suffering - her loss of home, hope and child - and is hence able to find herself. Excellent analysis - A bit more audience recognition would elevate it further!
Roy makes similar realisations after losing his wife, Coral. Through the contrast of his threatening tone in “I’ll lock you up if that’s what it takes,” and the atmosphere of helplessness as he begs Coral to “Please, please stop doing it to me,” Gow allows the audience to empathise with Roy’s frustration at the transformative impact of their son’s death on Coral. Excellent - What understanding/conceptual meaning is garnered through this empathy? What is the composer trying to teach the audience? It is only when she leaves that Roy again remembers the experience of loss and, thus, discovers empathy and the ability to connect with Coral. Retell. As the play comes to a close, the two are reunited and “Roy… kisses the shells and her hands.” Retell. The omission of dialogue signifies that the couple’s newfound understanding of each other as they rediscover their lost love. Gow uses Gwen’s transformation and Roy’s dynamic characterisation throughout the play as vehicles to convey the concept that experiencing loss, or exploring the loss of another, is essential to self-realisation and greater awareness of others. This analysis is not as powerful as what you did in your first paragraph - See if you can compare the two and see the difference!

Likewise, by coming to terms with his loss and making new discoveries, Charlie is able to transform his outlook on life. When Charlie causes a schism in the group and loses their support, his PTSD resurfaces, indicating that his earlier discovery of love and friendship had only palliated his struggle. Retell. As he attends Church, he has abrupt flashbacks of the scars on Helen’s wrists. Retell. Chbosky juxtaposes the hallowed ideals of Easter Mass and the grievous sin of self-harm to underline Charlie’s own internal division resulting from his fear of exploring his past. What does this show the audience? Chbosky enters Charlie’s point of view to allow the audience to empathise with his anguish as amongst his repressed memories Charlie discovers his Aunt Helen molested him. He suffers from a breakdown and the flashbacks worsen; Chbosky uses rapid cross-cutting between Charlie’s crying face and his memories of the suffering he’s witnessed to emphasise to the responder that the repression of his most harrowing discoveries only exacerbated his existing loss. Better - What you need to start doing is generalising your conceptual statements. We don't want to learn things about the characters, we want to learn things about DISCOVERY as a whole. As it is, you are focusing more on how we gain insight into the characters. The disjointed, fast-paced structure creates a disconcerting and unstable experience for the viewers; mimicking Charlies own confusion and distress. This allows the audience to engage with the character’s experiences on a deeper level, and prompts them to consider or potentially rediscover and confront their own hidden and repressed memories.  Fantastic - Excellent audience consideration. Hence, forced beyond his comfort zone by the loss of support, Charlie makes an unwelcome yet necessary finding; and in a cathartic expulsion of pain he comes to the understanding that “we can’t choose where we come from, but we can choose where we go from there.” Ensure that you have a proper conclusion for your paragraphs - This still feels a little open to me.

Hence, exiting or being forced outside of our comfort zones and experiencing beyond what we know allows us to re-evaluate our understanding of ourselves and our impact on others. Excellent. Gow and Chbosky effectively argue the ability of the youth to undergo and enact change in their generation but also to act as transformative agents for others. In similar fashions, both composers also enforce the idea that loss can open pathways to discovery but only if one can accept and overcome its effects. In light of these notions we are driven to consider the extent to which we, as youth, re-evaluate and augment the discoveries made by our predecessors and to rethink our understanding of loss. Great conclusion - Excellent length. Many conclusions are too short but yours rounds everything out nicely.

There is some absolutely killer analysis here armtistic! Fantastic concepts set up in a brilliant introduction/Thesis and rounded out nicely in an effective conclusion. Everything flows extremely well conceptually. You also have a great writing style that lets you blend analysis and conceptual statements in an extremely concise manner - It's all integrated very, very well. Basically, this easily has the potential to be a Band 6 essay, some really brilliant stuff! ;D

So you do need to introduce some more audience impact/recognition - I noted a few potential places to include it. What you need to focus on first is eliminating retell. Particularly when discussing your ORT, you slip into retelling plot elements, describing characters, and then loosely describing how these represent aspects of Discovery. You also tend to discuss what the audience learns about the characters just as much as what we learn about Discovery. This comes together to form a response that is a little too text focused.

I want you to go through and mark any sentence (and I marked a few) that retells a part of the story, or describes something that a character learned, and scrap it (EG = After a disappointing result in her SAT, Charlie offers to tutor Sam to success. - That is pure retell). You need to always be focusing on Discovery conceptually. The audience can learn about characters, sure, but that is just a means to us learning about Discovery more broadly and more conceptually. The characters are a means to an end; they are puppets through which the composer is communicating conceptual ideas. So, you never say things that a technique reveals about a character, its what they reveal about aspects of Discovery.

Trimming this retell should cut your word count down too, which is a bonus!

This is often a really subtle distinction. Take this example of a sentence which works really well, but does also still have a text-focused element to it:

The high-key lighting in the cafeteria combined with the enthusiastic body language as the friends argue cuts to a close-up of Charlie’s smiling face indicating that, in a manner similar to Coral, the unexpected rediscovery of human connection has allowed him to overcome his social anxiety, an issue many responders can relate to.

This could instead be (very roughly, not familiar with the details of the film and I barely remember the novel, lol):

The high-key lighting in the cafeteria, combined with enthusiastic body language and a close-up of Charlie’s smiling face during an argument, shows the responder how unexpected rediscoveries of human connection allow individuals to overcome social anxiety.

This is less text focused - Because it recognises that the composer talks directly to the responder through their use of techniques. We don't use the characters as a stepping stone.

Don't let this feedback discourage you - Because the fact that I'm picking you up on this is a really good thing. It means that your analysis is sound, your concepts are sound, and your style is sound. This is pretty much the final step to really hammering home a Band 6 essay - Truly abstracting from the text. It's hard to do - But you are already doing it in places :)

All in all, some really fantastic stuff in here. A bit more hard work and I guarantee it will be in the Band 6 range! ;D
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 04:39:50 pm by jamonwindeyer »

armtistic

• Forum Regular
« Reply #320 on: January 14, 2017, 06:00:56 pm »
Thanks Jamon!  ;D
ATAR: 99.70

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #321 on: January 14, 2017, 11:44:14 pm »
Thanks Jamon for your feedback :)
I was wondering whether I could get the essay remarked? Also, could you give tips on how to make the intro more concise? I was thinking of cutting out the paragraph about Gleny because I feel like it doesn't quite make the essay flow. The only reason I had put Gleny's discovery in was because the questions asked to 'DISCUSS' and Gleny's character contrasted to the other participants. This leads me to my next question, do I have to give a 'for and against' for 'discuss' questions. Also could you give me a rough mark /15 for that essay.

Thank you very much :)

You definitely can - You'll need to meet the quota of 45 posts for your next bit of feedback ;D

I think the length of your intro is sitting roughly where it should be - When I wrote my introductions, I normally followed this template:

- 1 Sentence Thesis
- 1 Sentence Amplification/Extra Detail on Thesis to link to question
- 1 Sentence Introducing Texts
- 1 Sentence Listing Paragraph Topics
- 1 Sentence Wrap Up

So, five sentences. You've got six, so pretty much on par! Perhaps bringing your first three sentences together into just a Thesis and amplification could help? Or introducing both of your texts in a single sentence?

I think removing the Gleny paragraph could definitely work - It is the weakest of the three due to its length, it could definitely be worth removing. At that stage, you have two paragraphs remaining in an essay. It could be worth splitting the two paragraphs into four - This will make it more palatable for the reader.

So for Discuss questions in English, it doesn't have to be a black and white 'for and against' argument. In this subject it merely means for you to present different perspectives on the same idea - It doesn't have to be entirely contrasted. I think you do lose a bit of that by removing the Gleny paragraph, but you could get it back by making more explicit comparisons between your prescribed text and ORT. What differences in perspective do they convey? As it stands, I'd say you are doing this reasonably well at the moment.

Don't give my mark estimate too much credit, because it is just that, an estimate! But I'd say the essay I read the other day was at roughly 9-10/15 :)

shreya_ajoshi

• Forum Regular
« Reply #322 on: January 23, 2017, 12:15:34 pm »
Heyo!!
This is my response to the 2015 HSC essay question.
Hoping that I have improved!!!

Thanks for checking it :)

stephsteph_xx

• Adventurer
« Reply #323 on: January 23, 2017, 03:35:02 pm »
Hi can you please check my essay? Thank youu!!!

bsdfjnlkasn

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #324 on: January 23, 2017, 09:03:10 pm »

Hey Steph! Welcome to the forums!

ATAR notes has a policy where you need to have accumulated 15 posts for every piece of feedback on an essay. This just makes sure that the moderators don't get flooded with essays to mark and also ensures that the AN community is always growing. Plus, it's not too hard to pick up your post count you just need to hang around for a bit and i'm sure you'll find things to reply to/ask questions about  :)

Full essay marking rules are available here :)

I hope you have fun getting to know the website - it's great!

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #325 on: January 23, 2017, 09:15:25 pm »
Hey Steph! Welcome to the forums!

ATAR notes has a policy where you need to have accumulated 15 posts for every piece of feedback on an essay. This just makes sure that the moderators don't get flooded with essays to mark and also ensures that the AN community is always growing. Plus, it's not too hard to pick up your post count you just need to hang around for a bit and i'm sure you'll find things to reply to/ask questions about  :)

Full essay marking rules are available here :)

I hope you have fun getting to know the website - it's great!

Couldn't have said it better myself - You'd make a great mod ;)

Welcome Steph! Let us know if you need a hand finding stuff, happy to have you around ;D

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
« Reply #326 on: January 24, 2017, 05:09:58 pm »
Heyo!!
This is my response to the 2015 HSC essay question.
Hoping that I have improved!!!

Thanks for checking it :)

Hey there!

Spoiler
The process of discovery involves uncovering what is hidden and reconsidering what is known. How is this perspective on discovery explored in your prescribed text and ONE other related text of your own choosing?

The process of discovering is an emotionally intense process which uncovers the truth and makes one’s No need for the apostrophe here, potentially no need for the S either. reassess their values and ideas. Ivan O’Mahoney’s televised SBS Documentary Go Back To Where You Came From and the short story Interpreter of Maladies by Jhumpa Lahiri both explore the nature of discoveries which make individuals see themselves and the world around them differently. O’Mahoney explores how confronting discoveries along with the connections with people and places one makes, assist in renewing their perceptions of the world while Lahiri conveys how self-discoveries and transformative experiences unveil the truth.  Together they both demonstrate how the process of discovery does involve revealing what is hidden and re-examining what is known which ultimately allows us to gain greater understandings and fresh perceptions of ourselves and the world around us. I like how you very naturally engage with the question here - it flows wonderfully. I am inclined to answer the question sooner in the paragraph, rather than later. Because for the first three or four sentences, there's no note of the question at all. Your first sentence deals with discovery wonderfully, but I feel like it could benefit from having one of these end ideas supporting it earlier on.
The willingness to explore and make connections with people and places through transformative experiences is the process of discovery that is an ongoing aspect of Go Back To Where You Came From. This is quite a wordy sentence and I get to the end not really realising what the argument is. i suggest that you go back and take out the end bit where you talk about the text, and leave it without. Then introduce the text in the next sentence where you talk about Adam.Adam’s character I'd go for the word persona, more. highlights the notion that discoveries can release ideas that were previously unrecognised, ultimately forcing one to reconsider what was known. The mis-en-scene of the coastal background with Adam in a personal interview where he states that all boat people are ‘criminals’ shows that he lacks an understanding and sympathy for refugees. Rather than saying that this shows a lack of understanding, perhaps mention WHY it is a misunderstanding. For example, mention that as the plot continues, we can contrast his opinion to the plot, and recognise the learning and discoveries. Rather than you saying its a misunderstanding, it's right now just his opinion. Later in the text it is recognised as a misunderstanding, but not yet. However, despite Adam calling refugees ‘criminals’ he does acknowledge through dialogue that he is “apprehensive. in the close-up shot... Try to double techniques here if you can, and explain the situation where he recognises this. So, maybe even the mise-en-scene, from memory this is in the establishing interview? So he has surf in the background? Feel free to analyse that as well, implying his Australian lifestyle, thus showing his representation of a slice of Australian demographics.
 His apprehensive choice of words His choice of words isn't apprehensive, HE is apprehensive. indicates that he recognises he is not controlling the situation and will be faced with situations that are out of his comfort zone, hence discovering the reality. This will allow him to gain further clarity and fulfillment about his past beliefs. These last two sentences are very literal in what they present, and I think you could do it in one sentence rather than two. Here's an example of how I'd talk about it..." Adam's acknowledgement of being apprehensive shows his willingness to be receptive to discoveries, because his stance apprehends change. This readiness to make connections to one’s discoveries is highlighted in the Malaysian Raid Scene. The hand-held camera and night vision allows the audience to be integrated into the raid and creating a real experience, giving rise to an appreciation of the antagonising circumstances and discoveries. This part here is amazing, you establish the technique, ground it in the doc, and then explain the significance. No mucking around, just perfect.The zoom up of Adam’s face reveals the devastation he is witnessing and how the discovery of the treatment of refugees has surprised him and challenged him, accentuating how the process of discovery causes one to reflect upon personal beliefs and face the harsh reality when confronted with provocative discoveries. The acceptance and clarification of discovery is stated through his dialogue, “if I were one of them…I’d get on a boat,” highlighting that his process of discovery was emotionally intense as he was faced with confronting scenarios which enabled him to reconsider his values and beliefs. You can contrast this to him calling them criminals, just to tie it all together.This ramification highlights how powerful the process of discovery can be in altering perceptions permanently. Adam’s warm tone in “I won’t see them as illegal. That’s basically too harsh of a title…” as he reflects upon his experience of his journey reveals the new perspectives he has attained. This transformation illuminates how these transformative experiences of discovering the truth and re-examining what was known changes one. Therefore, the process of discovering definitely involves uncovering what is hidden and reconsidering one’s values, leading to fresher perceptions of the world. So good, a really solid ending there. You deal with Adam's transformative so well!
Similar to Go Back To Where You Came From, Inteprepter of Maladies reveals how one’s process of discovery involves discovering something meaningful. Through its intimate view of relationships, it proves the interesting nature of discovering something may not always prove successful but can bring insight, inspiration and a broadened outlook. The contrast between the two different opinions of Mrs Das and Mr Kapasi’s wife in “Unlike his wife, she has reminded him of its intellectual changes” illustrates how relationship catalyse an ironic discovery of an individual’s lost identity, hence uncovering what was hidden. These relationships along with a new-found identity  made the discovery meaningful and provided a broad outlook on life making him re-consider his identity. The emotive language in “Mr Kapasi don’t you have anything to say? I thought that was your job,” highlights the difficulty of communication between adults as Mrs Kas believes that she has privileged him by confiding her secrets in him, but he is insulted that she would tell him such disreputable personal matters. This breakdown in communication is heart wrenching as they discovered that they were wrong in reaching out for each other, challenging their idea of forming a friendship. It highlights how discoveries can generate re-evaluation of societal relationships, ultimately renewing one’s perceptions of the world around them. The narrator’s thorough description of Mr Kapasi’s address fluttering away from Mrs Das’ purse, “he watched as it rose, carried higher and higher … into the trees where the monkeys now sat” Excellently integrated! intensifies the disappointment he feels a he self-discovered the truth about his interpretation skills because he ironically misinterpreted his hope of friendship. He discovered the impossibility of his fantasies, accentuating how the process of discovery involves reconsidering what is known. Hence, unveiling the truth and discovering oneself is a major aspect of the process of discovering as it makes one realise the truth and revaluate what was known through emotionally challenging situations.

When individuals search for a new experience, they may uncover ideas and be faced with new situations but also discover new and unexpected concepts and understanding. Go Back To Where You Came From and Interpreter of Maladies both demonstrate how powerful connections and relationships along with the readiness to explore are major aspects of the process of discovery. These lead to transformative experiences  which reveal the truth and make an individual reconsider their values and beliefs. Therefore both texts convey the perspective that the process of discovery does involve uncovering what is hidden and reconsidering what is known. 

Something that I'd really like to see in this is more of a contrast between the two texts but showing how they are different. You've highlighted the similarities, but by talking about the differences in the way discoveries are experienced will give you a richer discussion. Even if you are agreeing with the essay question for both, you can bring in something else from the rubric for comparative purposes, like comparing the unplanned/planned nature of discovery in either. This opens you up for more rubric points, which gives your discussion a lot of depth but also a lot of direction.

I really like your conclusion and I wouldn't add anything to it at this point in time. It sits nicely, it fulfills its purpose, its wonderful. Excellent effort there.

Your body paragraphs can have more. They sit well, you deal with the text, the techniques, and the effect well for the most part, but I think more of a discussion about the two texts could be engaged. Perhaps a structure that sits: prescribed, related, prescribed, related, would be better for you. Right now, we deal with them in isolation, and it works, but the more integrated we are, the better, simply because it means you're engaging the texts together in a more sophisticated manner. You could highlight some similarities: change of perspective, uncovering what is hidden, use of character as a vehicle for discovery, etc. These things all work as drawing comparisons and could make for a great way to extend your essay.

What do you think?
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

shreya_ajoshi

• Forum Regular
« Reply #327 on: January 25, 2017, 12:58:00 pm »
Hey there!

Something that I'd really like to see in this is more of a contrast between the two texts but showing how they are different. You've highlighted the similarities, but by talking about the differences in the way discoveries are experienced will give you a richer discussion. Even if you are agreeing with the essay question for both, you can bring in something else from the rubric for comparative purposes, like comparing the unplanned/planned nature of discovery in either. This opens you up for more rubric points, which gives your discussion a lot of depth but also a lot of direction.

I really like your conclusion and I wouldn't add anything to it at this point in time. It sits nicely, it fulfills its purpose, its wonderful. Excellent effort there.

Your body paragraphs can have more. They sit well, you deal with the text, the techniques, and the effect well for the most part, but I think more of a discussion about the two texts could be engaged. Perhaps a structure that sits: prescribed, related, prescribed, related, would be better for you. Right now, we deal with them in isolation, and it works, but the more integrated we are, the better, simply because it means you're engaging the texts together in a more sophisticated manner. You could highlight some similarities: change of perspective, uncovering what is hidden, use of character as a vehicle for discovery, etc. These things all work as drawing comparisons and could make for a great way to extend your essay.

What do you think?

HI!
Thanks for checking the essay :). I like the idea of comparison. So would I dedicate a paragraph to comparing the text or just introduce it in the relelvant paragraph.
So, while introducing the texts in their respective paragraphs I write 'the planned discovery in Go Back etc etc' and then i write 'the unplanned discovery in Interpreter of Maladies etc etc'?

I don't quite understand what you mean here
You could highlight some similarities: change of perspective, uncovering what is hidden, use of character as a vehicle for discovery, etc. These things all work as drawing comparisons and could make for a great way to extend your essay.

What do you think?

Thank you for your help :)

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
« Reply #328 on: January 25, 2017, 04:17:30 pm »
HI!
Thanks for checking the essay :). I like the idea of comparison. So would I dedicate a paragraph to comparing the text or just introduce it in the relelvant paragraph.
So, while introducing the texts in their respective paragraphs I write 'the planned discovery in Go Back etc etc' and then i write 'the unplanned discovery in Interpreter of Maladies etc etc'?

Thank you for your help :)

That sounds like a flawless introduction of the texts with the planned and unplanned discovery. Although, for comparative purposes, I'm more inclined to say "Unlike the discoveries in Go Back, the nature of the discoveries in Interpreter of Maladies is unplanned..." Just to compare the two in the same sentence. But you'd need to flesh out the significance of it being unplanned, you can't just state that it is unplanned.

You could use a few different structures for your essay here. You could do: prescribed text, a paragraph on the two together, then related in isolation. Or, you can do a predominantly prescribed text paragraph with some small links to the related, then a predominantly related text paragraph with some small links to prescribed. However you feel most comfortable linking, you are more than welcome to link that way.

The last part is some suggestions for less obvious ways of linking the texts. You could say, "In blah blah, the protagonist is also the vehicle for discovery..." so you're commenting on the way characters work as ploys for discovery! :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

shreya_ajoshi

• Forum Regular
« Reply #329 on: January 25, 2017, 07:43:35 pm »
That sounds like a flawless introduction of the texts with the planned and unplanned discovery. Although, for comparative purposes, I'm more inclined to say "Unlike the discoveries in Go Back, the nature of the discoveries in Interpreter of Maladies is unplanned..." Just to compare the two in the same sentence. But you'd need to flesh out the significance of it being unplanned, you can't just state that it is unplanned.

You could use a few different structures for your essay here. You could do: prescribed text, a paragraph on the two together, then related in isolation. Or, you can do a predominantly prescribed text paragraph with some small links to the related, then a predominantly related text paragraph with some small links to prescribed. However you feel most comfortable linking, you are more than welcome to link that way.

The last part is some suggestions for less obvious ways of linking the texts. You could say, "In blah blah, the protagonist is also the vehicle for discovery..." so you're commenting on the way characters work as ploys for discovery! :)

Hi!
Thank you so much for your help Elyse!! I understand what you mean by linking now :)