Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 30, 2024, 05:29:15 pm

Author Topic: Transfer into Medicine?  (Read 1831 times)  Share 

a weaponized ikea chair

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +12
Transfer into Medicine?
« on: July 21, 2020, 10:15:04 pm »
Hello there,

I have a question about Medicine. I want to go to Monash University to do Medicine.  I am wondering if I do not meet the ATAR requirement if I can do a Bachelor of Science and then transfer to Medicine later?

Thanks,

PS: I am only in year 10 so if I sound ignorant about the whole university process please forgive me!

Calebark

• biscuits of disappointment
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +2741
Re: Transfer into Medicine?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2020, 10:30:49 pm »
+4
Hi there!

Unfortunately this would not be possible at Monash, as starting tertiary study will mean you are no longer considered a school-leaver. After this there is no way to transfer to the degree from the Bachelor of Science. Medicine is just generally a bit more finnicky with transfers.

Our Direct Entry Bachelor of Medical Science and Doctor of Medicine (MD) offered at Clayton Campus, is only available to applicants who have completed Year 12 studies (or VCE equivalent) no more than two years prior, and have not commenced other studies at a tertiary level during that time. Applicants who have commenced tertiary study, including AQF Level Certificate IV and above, are ineligible to apply for this course and should consider the graduate entry program.

However if you do a Bachelor of Science at Monash, depending on which units you pick, you'll be eligible to apply for graduate-entry medicine at Monash. You can find a bit more information on that here.

Best of luck!
🐢A turtle has flippers and a tortoise has clubs🐢

a weaponized ikea chair

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +12
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2020, 11:21:38 pm »
Hi there!

Unfortunately this would not be possible at Monash, as starting tertiary study will mean you are no longer considered a school-leaver. After this there is no way to transfer to the degree from the Bachelor of Science. Medicine is just generally a bit more finnicky with transfers.

However if you do a Bachelor of Science at Monash, depending on which units you pick, you'll be eligible to apply for graduate-entry medicine at Monash. You can find a bit more information on that here.

Best of luck!
Hm, so you cannot transfer to undergraduate medicine but you can apply for graduate medicine? If so, is there a difference?  Sorry I'm a bit confused.

dutyfree

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +70
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2020, 05:14:22 am »
+6
Hey Hey,
If you’re just looking at Monash uni for medicine entry. You have two options: Direct entry (after yr12, with no tertiary record - you can't transfer into this, if you have started uni) or Graduate entry (after a completion of degree(s)).

Since you’re in year 10, your primary aim would most likely be undergrad med. Entry into this, is competitive but given you have time and keep working consistently with steady motivation, it’s possible.
In terms of the selection process, the prerequisites include: completing the UCAT exam (during the year you apply to med) and scoring at least 30 in your chosen English subject and in chemistry. They then rank you based on some unknown combination of your ATAR and UCAT score, to offer you an interview, given you are above their cut-off rank. Finally, in a ratio of 1/3 ATAR : 1/3 UCAT : 1/3 interview, you are offered a place, if you are within the ranks of about 240 places. (official info)

Postgraduate entry for Monash is only available to students who have graduated with a Monash degree, with a WAM higher than 70. The degree must be in Biomed (+ any double degrees), Pharmacy, Physio or Science (+ any double degrees). Since you seem to be interested in Science specifically, during the degree you have to complete at least 5 units, in this list. Monash graduate entry is dependent on your WAM (your weighted average mark = approx. overall academic score) (40%), SJT (Situational Judgement Test) and an interview (MMI) (60%) More info about graduate entry
(Pls correct me if I’m inaccurate)  :)
2018: ATaR: 98.8
2019: quarter-life crisis
2020: Bachelor of Science @ Monash Uni