Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 12:07:29 am

Author Topic: VCE English Question Thread  (Read 853505 times)  Share 

Biology24123

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +1
  • School: Scopus
Re: VCE English Question Thread
« Reply #1545 on: October 24, 2016, 09:04:16 pm »
+2
I'm having some trouble trying to make my context expository pieces not sound like a text response essay when I'm trying to link back to my set text. What are some ways to avoid this?

In mine I don't mention specific moments in the book but rather the overarching themes

• Forum Leader
  • socratic junkie wannabe
  • Respect: +341
« Reply #1546 on: October 24, 2016, 09:06:54 pm »
+3
I'm having some trouble trying to make my context expository pieces not sound like a text response essay when I'm trying to link back to my set text. What are some ways to avoid this?
Perhaps you're referring to a lot of specific evidence from the text. While it's fine to refer to your text, you mainly just want to cover the ideas from it that are relevant to the prompt itself. You don't need to be quoting tons of characters or explaining the significance of cobblestone around Klaus's house in Stasiland. Save all of that for TR. Similarly, you shouldn't need to be referring to the views and values of the author in a context piece.

For the most part, you'll be covering concepts and ideas from your text at a broad and holistic level, and then linking them into other examples that you know of (e.g. historical or contemporary events in society). In a text response, your discussion is confined to the text itself, rather than its significance in a greater scheme of things.

I also avoided referring to any texts or examples in my introduction and conclusion. This is a good way of avoiding the trap of writing a text response as you force yourself to pilot your discussion at a broad level. To this end, the reference text will act as a supplement to your discussion, not the main component.

Hope this helps.
2016–2018: Bachelor of Biomedicine (Neuroscience), The University of Melbourne
2019–2022: Doctor of Medicine, The University of Melbourne

lxX_Mercer_lXxl

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #1547 on: October 24, 2016, 09:16:43 pm »
I can't remember quotes. What is the best way to find remember quotes for the exam? WHICH IS IN 2 DAYS OMG

HasibA

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +26
« Reply #1548 on: October 24, 2016, 09:44:52 pm »
I can't remember quotes. What is the best way to find remember quotes for the exam? WHICH IS IN 2 DAYS OMG
is ur text a film or book? if its a film like mine, i dont think word by word quotes are super important, but rather directors angles, techniques etc.
if its a book, can someone correct me, having a few quotes with just straight up examples like 'when jason did this... this blah . which the author conveys' - wouldnt that be fine? ahha
Uni and life

lxX_Mercer_lXxl

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #1549 on: October 24, 2016, 09:58:16 pm »
I am doing 2 texts: Every Man In This Village Is A Liar by Megan Stack and Media.

• Forum Leader
« Reply #1550 on: October 24, 2016, 10:01:52 pm »
+1
I am doing 2 texts: Every Man In This Village Is A Liar by Megan Stack and Media.
No need to stress; there's still time to learn.

The good news is that you don't need to memorise quotes for Every Man as it's a Section B text. I mean, technically, you can if you really think they're applicable, but they're not a prerequisite.

For learning quotes for Medea, try to learn them with respect to the major themes and use cue cards/sticky notes to test yourself. If you do enough immersion, you'll be able to remember as many as you want come exam time.

Best of luck!

lxX_Mercer_lXxl

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #1551 on: October 24, 2016, 10:06:18 pm »

The good news is that you don't need to memorise quotes for Every Man as it's a Section B text. I mean, technically, you can if you really think they're applicable, but they're not a prerequisite.

I was told quotes are a MUST?? If I do not use quotes, how do i use examples from the text to support my ideas?

XD10602

• Victorian
  • Fresh Poster
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #1552 on: October 24, 2016, 10:12:42 pm »
Hey guys!
I was fleshing out this prompt for Stasiland: 'Stasiland suggests that the more difficult to walls to break down are the ones that remain in the minds of those that lived through East Germany's history. ' But I couldn't think of any counter argument. Does anyone have any ideas or do I not need to include one for this prompt?
Thanks in advance!

klippo

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #1553 on: October 24, 2016, 10:13:57 pm »
Hi there,

I was just wondering how important it is to have 4 body paragraphs? I've been hearing from a couple teachers that having 4 bps is essential to getting to that 9-10 range. Can anyone confirm/debunk this claim?

Most of the time, I can only think of 3 main ideas and usually can only write 3 bps within the time limit, unless I'm super familiar with the topic, then 4 is possible, but a little risky.

Thanks in advance!!

klippo

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #1554 on: October 24, 2016, 10:25:52 pm »
Also, wondering whether anyone could critique these topic sentences? And possibly ways to make it more complex? Also not sure if it's fully unpacking the prompt:

Burial Rites is about Agnes being restored to humanity. Discuss.

Contention: Agnes' humanity is irrefutable, however is unacknowledged in the eyes of the society. However, through the regaining of her personal autonomy by being able to tell her own story, her humanity is accepted by those who listen to her. Thus, Burial Rites is about the acknowledgement of Agnes' humanity, rather than her restoration to humanity.

1. Kent asserts the existence of Agnes' humanity through demonstrating the extremities of emotions that Agnes experiences.
2. However, Kent illustrates how her humanity is unacknowledged by the unfeeling and prejudicial society in which she inhabits.
3. Nevertheless, Kent elucidates how her humanity is ultimately recognized by those who are the audience to her life's narrative.

Thank you!!

BNard

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #1555 on: October 24, 2016, 10:28:25 pm »
So my plan of attack for context (my worst section) at this stage is to go for a creative expository hybrid kind of thing. I do a 200 ish word introduction, usually from the perspective of Galileo (my text is obviously LoG) or Brecht, and then go into an expository, and then have a quick creative conclusion

With that kind of structure, would you say it's better to have a more free flowing discussion of ideas (throwing up examples and contrasting/comparing with examples from text plus a bit of loose conceptual discussion) or try and still have three distinct ideas (paragraphs) about the prompt in an obvious, topic sentency kind of way.

Ps does anyone else feel nauseous just thinking about Wednesday....
2017 - 2019: UoM BSci (Path)

Swagadaktal

• SwagLordOfAN
  • Forum Leader
  • djkhaled305 is the key to success
  • Respect: +102
« Reply #1556 on: October 24, 2016, 10:48:56 pm »
Ps does anyone else feel nauseous just thinking about Wednesday....
Yes, very.

Like that's the exact word I'd describe it.
Fuck you english your eyebrows aren't even good
Why walk when you can stand on the shoulders of giants?

• Forum Leader
« Reply #1557 on: October 24, 2016, 11:28:07 pm »
+1
I was told quotes are a MUST?? If I do not use quotes, how do i use examples from the text to support my ideas?
Quotes are essentially non-negotiable in Section A (Text Response). However, they are not needed at all to get a good/perfect mark in Section B. There is no checklist of criteria that assessors read off when looking at your Section B piece. Further, it wouldn't make much sense to throw in quotes from the book if you had an imaginative piece, would it?

If your teacher is telling you that quotes are mandatory for Section B, then maybe that's just the way they prefer you to do it in SACs/on the exam. I can't undermine whoever has told you this, as there may be a reason. However, it's entirely possible to write a 20/20 piece without quoting the book; it's just an option if you choose to do an expository essay.

You can refer to examples from the text by simply just mentioning, much the same way that you would if you were using another historical/social example in your essay. Quotes aren't needed if I try to bring up 20th century American politics, so why should they be here? Refer to the main ideas and overarching messages that you can ascertain from a text or external source and work those into your writing.

Hey guys!
I was fleshing out this prompt for Stasiland: 'Stasiland suggests that the more difficult to walls to break down are the ones that remain in the minds of those that lived through East Germany's history. ' But I couldn't think of any counter argument. Does anyone have any ideas or do I not need to include one for this prompt?
Thanks in advance!
You don't necessarily need a 'counter-argument' to address more than one aspect of the prompt. Similarly, it's unrealistic and virtually impossible to cover all aspects of a prompt, so don't concern yourself with that.

In this case, it doesn't really make sense to talk about the converse of the prompt, or else you'd be running the argument that physical walls are the centrepiece of the text, and that their structural integrity is really relevant to Funder's message.

Hint: Try refer to the idea of ''Mauer im Kopf'' (literally 'head in the wall') or Ostalgie. It's also worth considering the prompt from the perspective of both victims and perpetrators.

Hi there,

I was just wondering how important it is to have 4 body paragraphs? I've been hearing from a couple teachers that having 4 bps is essential to getting to that 9-10 range. Can anyone confirm/debunk this claim?

Most of the time, I can only think of 3 main ideas and usually can only write 3 bps within the time limit, unless I'm super familiar with the topic, then 4 is possible, but a little risky.

Thanks in advance!!
Not vital at all. It's better to have three excellent body paragraphs that all work together than to have four slightly above average ones. Many students who achieve great scores use only three body paragraphs, but still have enough quantity of a given quality in their writing to make it work in this manner.

Keep in mind that just because someone is writing four paragraphs doesn't mean all of them are good. Just try to aim for the three best ideas you can, and if you find you have time for one more great one, go for the forth. The only problem you'll have here is when your number drops below three, as that might be indicative of you not writing enough or having paragraphs that are too long.

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 11:30:16 pm by Alter »

FatimaEl

• Forum Regular
  • 💕📒✏️💕
« Reply #1558 on: October 24, 2016, 11:36:02 pm »
+1
Hi there,

Thanks in advance!!

I think we can only think of 3 because weve been taught that way for a long time, but honestly all you got to do is write a general introduction that doesnt explore your ideas in too much detail just in case you end up having enough time to write 4 bps, as im pretty sure the assessors would like to see more ideas if you're good with generating them and explaining them of course.

The upper-range essays that are found in the examination reports normally have 4+ paragraphs, so i'd say that kinda confirms that claim.

But of course, writing well beats all  ;) ;D
2015: Further Mathematics
2016: English | Biology | Psychology | Health & Human Dev. | Text & Traditions
"verily with the hardship there is relief" – Quran 94:6

Mirna.Kula

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #1559 on: October 24, 2016, 11:54:10 pm »
In the language analysis section of the exam, roughly how many persuasive techniques do we need to include for each article?