Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 29, 2024, 06:01:02 pm

Author Topic: Tutoring  (Read 1392 times)  Share 

RobertDyd

• Trailblazer
  • Top student by day, gamer by night
  • Respect: 0
Tutoring
« on: February 25, 2017, 03:11:54 pm »
Hi guys,

My parents are thinking of getting me a tutor for legal studies since its my worst scaling subject and they want me to do well in everything, on my first assessment I got 80% and came around 4th in my class. Thoughts?
"I can't read" - My attempt at not being chosen for reading out-loud in class

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
Re: Tutoring
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2017, 03:27:49 pm »
+1
Hi guys,

My parents are thinking of getting me a tutor for legal studies since its my worst scaling subject and they want me to do well in everything, on my first assessment I got 80% and came around 4th in my class. Thoughts?
This is not from a legal studies perspective so might not be of value.

worst scaling subject shouldn't be the reason you get a tutor.

80% + 4th in class doesn't say much without knowing how strong your cohort it. It's really up  to personal preference whether someone wants to get a tutor. The people who normally get tutors are the ones aiming extremely highly or either struggling badly. Having said that success is very much possible even without a tutor.

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Tutoring
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2017, 03:28:50 pm »
+2
Hey! It sounds like you are in a good place to me! My first mark for Legal was in the 80's, do you feel like having a tutor would benefit you? What would a tutor provide for you specifically that you don't already have?

Not saying you shouldn't get a tutor mind you! Just saying those results don't suggest to me that you are in desperate need of one - You should do whatever you think will help you accomplish your goals!

worst scaling subject shouldn't be the reason you get a tutor.

This!
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 03:30:25 pm by jamonwindeyer »

RobertDyd

• Trailblazer
  • Top student by day, gamer by night
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2017, 01:17:23 pm »
Hey! It sounds like you are in a good place to me! My first mark for Legal was in the 80's, do you feel like having a tutor would benefit you? What would a tutor provide for you specifically that you don't already have?

Not saying you shouldn't get a tutor mind you! Just saying those results don't suggest to me that you are in desperate need of one - You should do whatever you think will help you accomplish your goals!

This!

In my opinion my essay skills in Legal Studies aren't very good, I'm mostly lost with them and what I should be writing, do you think getting a tutor would teach me how to write better essays? Or are they better used for other aspects?
"I can't read" - My attempt at not being chosen for reading out-loud in class

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2017, 01:46:39 pm »
In my opinion my essay skills in Legal Studies aren't very good, I'm mostly lost with them and what I should be writing, do you think getting a tutor would teach me how to write better essays? Or are they better used for other aspects?

If you feel like your skills aren't quite up to scratch, then definitely a tutor would help you with that! It's about knowing how much help you need. If you are having serious issues with your content, and really aren't understanding how to translate it to an essay, then absolutely a tutor would be really beneficial for you.

Usually though, the content isn't going to be the hassle, and essay writing is a skill best learned. You might just need someone to spend 2 hours with once a month or so, or even just Skype sessions here or there. If you are confident with the content and just need to develop essay writing skills, then the weekly sessions might not be the best use of time. Sometimes the Maths students I tutor ask for 30 minutes out of their session now and again to chat about their essays for English and Legal, and usually that is enough.

So if you think you just need some guidance, a little bit of oversight, and someone to bounce ideas off of - A weekly session might not be the best use of time. You could be better off just doing less frequent sessions, or even just using the forums. We answer questions, we mark essays - We're like the tutor you'll never pay for ;)

But if you think you would benefit with the time on a regular basis, and can find a good tutor who will fill the time with good exercises and things to make the time beneficial, then absolutely it would be a great thing for you! ;D

claudiarosaliaa

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +50
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2017, 07:39:05 pm »
Hi guys,

It is solely dependent of how you feel about the course. Are you confident with the content? If you are, don't waste your time. But if you aren't its worth giving a few sessions a go and seeing if it helps you.
Year 12 student, Class of 2017. I am currently taking Mathematics Extension 1, Mathematics Extension 2, English Advance, Legal Studies & Drama

buffdons

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2017, 01:48:13 pm »
Hi
From my personal experience, I believe tutoring for legal is useful if you require help for the subject.
Private One on One tutoring can help identify any mistakes.