Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 12, 2024, 08:47:15 am

Author Topic: Potato's VCE Journey  (Read 13498 times)

homeworkisapotato

• MOTM: Aug 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +288
Re: Potato's VCE Journey
« Reply #60 on: November 30, 2020, 06:51:08 pm »
+10
Hey peeps I hope you are all having a great and relaxing time! I just started Year 12 transition and it isn't actually going that great.
I think I've been in a burnout phase ever since the end of the Bio exam because I have not opened my books since (except for the English creative book and working on that). I feel really guilty but I just have been going in a spiral of sorts as well as going in a junk food fest. I know that you are what you eat and all but I'm having difficulty pulling myself back up. Every time I open my books I keep remembering that I have my study score coming in a month and I keep thinking 'If I didn't do that well when I was just doing ONE 3/4, what's the chance of doing well with FIVE?' That being said all of my subjects seem SOO fun but I'm just not having the right mindset atm!
Any advice?
Edit: Attached is a pic of my puppy :D
« Last Edit: November 30, 2020, 07:19:54 pm by homeworkisapotato »
2020: Biology [43]
2021: Methods, Chemistry, HHD, English, Further
Selective School Entry Tips

waterangel82

• Forum Regular
  • 'The world is quiet here.'
  • Respect: +24
« Reply #61 on: November 30, 2020, 07:23:43 pm »
+4
Hey peeps I hope you are all having a great and relaxing time! I just started Year 12 transition and it isn't actually going that great.
I think I've been in a burnout phase ever since the end of the Bio exam because I have not opened my books since (except for the English creative book and working on that). I feel really guilty but I just have been going in a spiral of sorts as well as going in a junk food fest. I know that you are what you eat and all but I'm having difficulty pulling myself back up. Every time I open my books I keep remembering that I have my study score coming in a month and I keep thinking 'If I didn't do that well when I was just doing ONE 3/4, what's the chance of doing well with FIVE?' That being said all of my subjects seem SOO fun but I'm just not having the right mindset atm!
Any advice?

Hey, I think it's ok to have a rest atm! It's definitely good to give yourself a break, especially after working so hard this year!

Personally, I didn't touch my books much until January, since I knew I needed a break after my first 3/4 subject. I found one month was more than enough to get ahead, and I think your motivation levels definitely increase after December! So I wouldn't really feel guilty, because it's really important to give yourself a good break at the end of year 11 so you can be refreshed for year 12!

In terms of waiting for the study score, I do agree I also experienced the same feeling. I remember thinking 'If I don't do well in my 3/4 subject, at least I have 5 other subjects to make up for it next year', so I think that mindset kinda helped me. Of course, I was in a slightly different situation, because I knew the 3/4 subject I did in year 11 wasn't my strongest, so I was slightly less anxious. But maybe adopting a similar mindset might be useful!
2017 ATAR: 99.20

homeworkisapotato

• Forum Leader
« Reply #62 on: November 30, 2020, 07:32:02 pm »
+3
Hey waterangel, thank you so much for the reassurance! I think I'll follow what you did and take a fresh breather and start 3/4 properly in the holidays.
I'll also do my best to adopt your mindset :D
Thank you!!
<3

The Cat In The Hat

• MOTM: NOV 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Do all to the glory of God. - 1 Corinthians 10:31
  • Respect: +344
« Reply #63 on: November 30, 2020, 08:16:50 pm »
+3
Hey waterangel, thank you so much for the reassurance! I think I'll follow what you did and take a fresh breather and start 3/4 properly in the holidays.
I'll also do my best to adopt your mindset :D
Thank you!!
<3
Over the holidays, I did precisely no study between end-of-year-11 and start-of-year-12. I didn't even open my books. It worked fine.
VCE 20
HHD MM Revs (F/R) Eng T&T
ATAR 85
Uni 21-24: BNursing/BMidwifery @ Deakin
Y1T2:
HNM102
HNN122 (double)
HNN114
I hope I don't fail....
Listens to Amira Willighagen and Alma Deutscher and a little Marjolein Acke
~English - PM for P&P/creatives help~
Creative excerpts
Nur/Mid uni journal

For Narnia and for Aslan!

she/her

Basically inactive now. May change. Have a nice day.

Chocolatemilkshake

• MOTM: JAN 21
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +371
« Reply #64 on: November 30, 2020, 10:41:35 pm »
+5
Any advice?
Edit: Attached is a pic of my puppy :D

Hi Potato,
I think it's totally normal to feel burnt out after doing so much preparation for the bio exam! I'd suggest taking a break by surrounding yourself with other people, playing sports or hanging out with friends. For me, this was a way I could have fun, forget about the bio exam and relax without feeling guilty about having done minimal work. Also, try to do SIMPLE but still productive things to get your mind slowly into year 12 study (whilst no study over the holidays may work for some people, I would have felt really guilty and just would have beat myself up for it. I feel like you are probably similar and that you actually function a lot better when you're productively working at something during your free time). So, start by just reading your english books, don't even take notes or highlight quotes, just read them. Or perhaps just read some of a textbook, without worrying whether you know or understand the content. By slowly lowering myself into year 12 (as well as completing all my holiday homework early) I found myself becoming a lot more motivated overtime. That's another thing, whilst occasionally it does happen, usually motivation doesn't hit in full force and is something that slowly makes itself apparent with time. I'm sure it will for you too!

In regards to overcoming a negative mindset (surrounding receiving your first study score) I think different things/thoughts work for different people. For me, the thought of receiving a study score that didn't reflect my aims was at first very difficult! But eventually it became MORE of a motivator to do well in my other subjects - like waterangel has said (and I'm sure, with time, it will for you too. You're persistent and hard working, it's normal to feel disappointment or guilt that prevents you from working at your best, but eventually your positive attitude will take over!) In general, if you don't do well in your first 3/4 then there's even more of a reason to try harder in the next ones, because you CAN do it, I promise (and you will have learnt some very useful things from doing an early VCE subject for 2021). Plus, try to not overthink the upcoming date (because chances are you're under rather than over estimating your performance) but enjoy the holidays and maintain a steady but very manageable workload that suits YOUR needs (try to avoid comparing yourself to others because they are different people and will have different needs). I remember being told by a teacher that I would not be able to do the amount of work I did for bio for my yr 12 subjects the following year. I dismissed it at the time but it turned out to definitely be true! 2021 will be a big year for you so it's actually really important that you take a break and try not to feel guilty for "not working" - this guilt will only breed unproductively and mental fatigue. Instead, it's okay that you let your guard down for the last few weeks and enjoyed not having to do bio, you deserved it and if you tell yourself this, it will be easier to move on and become more productive in the following weeks.

Anyway, the best thing you can do is try your hardest to keep the bio study score out of your mind. I know it's hard to truly believe but, ultimately, it's your hard work, dedication and passion for the subject that you should be proud of and your study score only makes up a very small part of this.

All the best :) CM

EDIT: Sorry that's kind of a very long dump of words but hopefully it was a little bit helpful
« Last Edit: November 30, 2020, 10:44:44 pm by Chocolatemilkshake »
2021-2025: BMedSci/M.D @ Monash

homeworkisapotato

• Forum Leader
« Reply #65 on: December 01, 2020, 06:59:00 pm »
+4
Over the holidays, I did precisely no study between end-of-year-11 and start-of-year-12. I didn't even open my books. It worked fine.
Thank you for the reassurance The Cat In The Hat! Also, congrats regarding winning NaNoWriMo!

Anyway, the best thing you can do is try your hardest to keep the bio study score out of your mind. I know it's hard to truly believe but, ultimately, it's your hard work, dedication and passion for the subject that you should be proud of and your study score only makes up a very small part of this.

All the best :) CM

EDIT: Sorry that's kind of a very long dump of words but hopefully it was a little bit helpful
Hey Choco! Thank you SOSO much for taking the time to write your post, it was really helpful and really calmed me down. I'm feeling a lot better and much more optimistic about Year 12. You're absolutely right that it's more about my passion for the subject and less about the actual study score. Once again THANK YOU SO MUCH YOU LEGEND!  <3 <3 <3

homeworkisapotato

• Forum Leader
« Reply #66 on: December 31, 2020, 07:55:11 am »
+12
It's Finally Over
Hey guys! I had prepared myself to get my marks at 7am on the dot so when I was browsing mindlessly and got a notification 'VCE FINAL RESULTS' at 6:50 I choked on my breath and nearly died. This was my mark:

A+   A+    A+   43

Thank you soo much fellow readers for being so beautiful and so supportive. I could not have gotten through the year and the one month waiting period alive if it wasn't for you guys reassuring me and giving me feedback. Special shout out to Chocolatemilkshake for being my Bio role model as well as such a lovely, funny, and wise mentor and for patiently answering my annoying many questions so kindly and helping me through the rocky Bio road despite having their own covid vce journey.

Now for my goals I made earlier:
1. Get 40+ study score for Biology [yay]
2. Finish and upload my app to the App Store [nope]
3. Learn to cook at least 10 Indian dishes [lol]
4. Be able to manage my anxiety and develop a more positive thought pattern [hoorah! I still do get some anxiety but now I ask for feedback so I don't just wallow in self-pity ahahaha ]
5. Handle at least five house chores a day (I know this is not a lot, but I'm not really good at maintaining these kind of habits lol) [hahahaha no]
6. Contribute more to AN and answer more questions on the Bio thread [I think so? I got MOTM once, wrote a tips thread, and  talked to amazing people from the vce journal community. Should I write a Bio tips thread as well?? I feel like there are a lot though... let me know if you think I should :D]
7. Exercise everyday for at least 30 minutes (I have a feeling this is going to be the hardest. I'm so lazy lol) [I did in quarantine..then school started and then I got a puppy so I had no time BUT I have been taking my pup on a walk everyday so this is semi-done]

My academic goal for the summer holidays is to finish Unit 3 AOS 1 of all my five subjects (HHD, Chem, Methods, and Further) and finish Stasiland and NLMG as well as get halfway through my draft for my creative. Usually people do up to Unit 3 but  I'm trusting my gut and my past experience of just doing one section but knowing it thoroughly rather than learning the entirety of Unit 3 for all five subjects. I feel like it would be impossible for me to do the Unit 3 of five subjects and still feel relaxed and view this as a holiday. Let me know if I should do Unit 3 for all subjects or just one subject in particular though, I would love some feedback!

My personal goals include: going vegetarian because it's a healthier lifestyle, starting self care routines (like beauty stuff but no make up I don't like) as well as exercising more in the holidays and also stressing about everything less. I stress about EVERYTHING. VERY BAD.

I hope you all are happy with your results and proud of the hard work you have shown over the years! Please let me know if you think I should write a Bio tips thread as well as if you think there's a subject for which I should do the entire Unit 3 notes :D

Thank you guys!! Have a happy holidays and congratulations yet again to the Year 12s for finishing your journey in a covid year and all the best for your next chapter. Congratulations Year 11s for finishing your first 3/4 and all the best for Year 12.

Chocolatemilkshake

• MOTM: JAN 21
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +371
« Reply #67 on: December 31, 2020, 09:38:29 am »
+5
A MASSIVE CONGRATS homeworkisapotato, I've loved following your journal throughout this year! I'm so proud of your study score and I'm sure you'll smash 2021.
Thank you soo much fellow readers for being so beautiful and so supportive. I could not have gotten through the year and the one month waiting period alive if it wasn't for you guys reassuring me and giving me feedback. Special shout out to Chocolatemilkshake for being my Bio role model as well as such a lovely, funny, and wise mentor and for patiently answering my annoying many questions so kindly and helping me through the rocky Bio road despite having their own covid vce journey.
AHH thank you!! I loved helping you out and you absolutely smashed bio this year, plus you have so much passion for the subject! Congrats on achieving so many of your goals this year as well.
6. Contribute more to AN and answer more questions on the Bio thread [I think so? I got MOTM once, wrote a tips thread, and  talked to amazing people from the vce journal community. Should I write a Bio tips thread as well?? I feel like there are a lot though... let me know if you think I should :D]
Yes you definitely achieved this one! I think if you have the time many people would benefit from a thread and sharing different studying perspectives can be beneficial to many other users.

Anyway, sounds like you've got a super positive outlook for 2021 and I'm certain you'll achieve many of your goals. Thanks for an awesome year  8) 8)

2021-2025: BMedSci/M.D @ Monash

dedformed

• Trendsetter
  • Don't be upsetti. Eat some spaghetti.
  • Respect: +135
« Reply #68 on: December 31, 2020, 10:08:54 am »
+4
Great job on your score, you should be proud!

I think doing AOS1 is good enough, because that's quite some work for 5 subjects. You don't want to burn out this early in the year and have a fresh start in Jan! Although I would still recommend lightly skimming over the study design and textbook chapters to be mentally prepared about the year to come.

I wish you good luck!

Yeeing my haws
Penelope
Lying in a Hammock at William Duffy's Farm in Pine Island, Minnesota
VCE 2021 - ATAR 98.85
my vce journal!

offering tutoring for English Language 3&4;)

whys

• VIC MVP - 2020
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +916
« Reply #69 on: December 31, 2020, 06:52:55 pm »
+5
Heya Potato!

I am so proud of how far you've come!!! A massive congratulations on your biology score - you did amazing and I know how passionate you are about this subject. Also nice to see you've met most of your goals for the year, which is a huge accomplishment (I usually never meet any of my goals and resolutions I set for the year lol). I'm excited to read your year 12 journey too - all the best for the future. I also really commend you on your dedication, I never even had the motivation to do any holiday homework at the start of year 12 haha, so good to hear you're wanting to get ahead on top of homework! I definitely would not recommend getting through all of unit 3 for every subject - there simply isn't enough time to do it in any sort of meaningful, productive way and still have enough time to relax and have fun. This is exactly what year 12 is for - learning the content. It's okay to want to get ahead, but I think all of unit 3 is too much. Try out a smaller chunk of content if you absolutely must get ahead is my recommendation!

Again, congratulations on that amazing bio score - you've worked hard in this weird pandemic year and pulled through!

Enjoy your new year!!!!
psych [50] bio [50]
2021-2025: BMedSci/MD @ Monash

eloisegrace

• MOTM: April 20
  • Forum Obsessive
  • she/her ~ class of 2021
  • Respect: +264
« Reply #70 on: December 31, 2020, 07:08:21 pm »
+6
OMG CONGRATS!! A 43 in bio is incredible 🤩🤩

Good job for being so positive throughout this less than ideal year and I look forward to seeing your journey next year as a fellow Class of 21’er!!

Have the best holidays 🥰
2020 - mathematical methods [42] | further mathematics [45]
2021 - english language [45] | chemistry [36] | french [33] | physical education [44]
ATAR - 98.75
my vce journey !
2022 - bachelor of commerce and bachelor of politics, philosophy and economics @ the australian national university

angrybiscuit

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +204
« Reply #71 on: December 31, 2020, 09:35:17 pm »
+5
Hi potato,
CONGRATS on your amazing SS. Rest assure this experience will be incredibly invaluable to you for next year :) Take it easy these holidays and be sure not to over do it <3

- biscuit :)
somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.
carl sagan

Marylen

• Forum Regular
  • 'You can live with disappointment but not regret.'
  • Respect: +46
« Reply #72 on: January 04, 2021, 01:08:49 pm »
+4
Heya potato! 🥔
OMG OMG WOWOWOWOOW I could never with a 43 in bio! You should be so proud of yourself! I'm confident that you will do well in year 12. I know that sometimes we fall into a spiral of self doubt but it's normal! This was pretty much me during the year for psych ahahhaah.

Best of luck for next year!! You will do so well trust me!

PS: Your doggo is so cute!

- Mary
Marylen's VCE journal

2020:
Psych: 40
Further Maths: 39

2021:
Methods, Accounting, English & Chemistry

homeworkisapotato

• Forum Leader
« Reply #73 on: January 08, 2021, 03:50:33 pm »
+3
Choco!
Spoiler
THANK YOU SOO MUCH CHOCO It's been such an honour having you read my journal and thank you for the suggestion to write my own thread! Your thread was actually one of the main things that fuelled my passion for VCE bio <3 I hope you have an amazing break and all the best for your future endeavours.
All the best for 2021 :D

dedformed!
Spoiler
Thank you dedformed and CONGRATULATIONS FOR YOUR AMAZING SCORES :D Thank you for the amazing advice, I'm following your advice and doing only AOS 1 which is already quite tiring ahaha. I'm looking forward to reading your journal and adventuring through Year 12 with you :D

Whys!
Spoiler
THANK YOU SOO MUCH WHYS! It's been such an honour having you read my journal and your very whys advice has saved my life and sanity throughout the year. CONGRATULATIONS on finish Year 12 with such an amazing ATAR I'm soo happy for you :D. But more on that in your journal :D
All the best for 2021 you're going to do amazing <3

eloisegrace!
Spoiler
THANK YOU ELOISEGRACE for the well wishes and I look forward to journeying through Year 12 together! We can do this! Have a well-rested and fun break <3

angrybiscuit!
Spoiler
THANK YOU angrybiscuit! Thank you for your amazing advice throughout the year which has been invaluable and I will continue to follow your advice throughout the next years coming. Have an amazing holiday!

Marylen!
Spoiler
THANK YOU SO MUCHH MARYLEN for your vote of confidence and your sweet advice! Ahahah thank you, he's growing up so fast like he's twice the height he was when I posted the pic! Looking forward to getting through Year 12 together!

Thank you everyone for your well-wishes, Year 11 has been so much fun with you all by my internet side giving so much support and advice throughout the journey. I look forward to continuing this journey with you all this year too!

Evolio

• MOTM: MAY 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +485
« Reply #74 on: January 08, 2021, 04:41:09 pm »
+1
Hey Potato!

I'm VERY late to the party but congrats on that bio score! You worked incredibly hard and all that hard work and effort has paid off. I'm so glad that you've achieved your goal and I can't wait to follow the rest of your vce journey!

« Last Edit: January 10, 2021, 04:02:48 pm by Evolio »