Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 13, 2024, 11:20:33 am

Author Topic: Cover Letters  (Read 1792 times)  Share 

Fyrefly

• ★☆★ 一期一会 ★☆★
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +307
Cover Letters
« on: February 15, 2008, 11:41:02 am »
I've found with a lot of online applications, a cover letter is optional. Is it wise to include a cover letter, or opt against it? I'm happy to put a little time in to re-wording my old cover letter to suit each job application, but I'm worried that a one-page cover letter will detract from a two-page resume if that makes sense. I want them to read the resume not the cover letter, because I think a cover letter may just waste a prospective employer's time. See... on my resume I have this little 'profile' section first that is basically like my 'advertisement' - it's a paragraph outlining the best I have to offer an employer; a mini cover letter if you will. I'm going for mainstream supermarket jobs and such if that helps; I know they get hundreds of resumes this time of year.

So, to cover letter or not to cover letter? That is the question. (Please ignore lame pun, I am tired.)
|| BComm + DipLang (Jap) @ Monash ||

Eriny

• The lamp of enlightenment
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +100
Re: Cover Letters
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2008, 11:44:35 am »
I think cover letters are great. It's your chance to explain your stengths and how your experience relates specifically to the job, what you like about working, your goals for employment (i.e. bullshit), etc. I think just a resume may be a bit hollow, depending on what's one there and what kind of job you're applying for.

cara.mel

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2008, 03:15:20 pm »
I've found with a lot of online applications, a cover letter is optional. Is it wise to include a cover letter, or opt against it? I'm happy to put a little time in to re-wording my old cover letter to suit each job application, but I'm worried that a one-page cover letter will detract from a two-page resume if that makes sense. I want them to read the resume not the cover letter, because I think a cover letter may just waste a prospective employer's time. See... on my resume I have this little 'profile' section first that is basically like my 'advertisement' - it's a paragraph outlining the best I have to offer an employer; a mini cover letter if you will. I'm going for mainstream supermarket jobs and such if that helps; I know they get hundreds of resumes this time of year.

So, to cover letter or not to cover letter? That is the question. (Please ignore lame pun, I am tired.)

A cover letter allows you to address the selection criteria of the job far more eloquently than a resume does. As such, you won't be able simply 're-word' each document as each job will have very different criteria.

Generally speaking, for professional employement, you will need a cover letter (it's almost a given). General entry-level jobs in retail/hospitality probably won't though.

excal

• VN Security
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Über-Geek
  • Respect: +21
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2008, 03:17:08 pm »
whoops. that was me posting.
caramel left herself signed in on my computer when she was over here yesterday -.-
excal (VCE 05/06) BBIS(IBL) GradCertSc(Statistics) MBBS(Hons) GCertClinUS -- current Master of Medicine candidate
Former Global Moderator

cara.mel

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2008, 04:54:01 pm »
Sorry 0=)
I was like, wth I don't write like that!

brendan

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2008, 02:00:14 pm »
http://ocw.mit.edu/NR/rdonlyres/Sloan-School-of-Management/15-279Spring-2005/083E830A-E26D-4533-83EF-87700005C697/0/coverletterstn.pdf

WRITING COVER LETTERS

Your Goals
Cover letters, sent with your resume, are a form of persuasive communication meant to motivate your reader to take action on your behalf. Your goal is to secure an interview or to be referred to people to contact.
Situations to Anticipate
When responding to an employer’s request (e.g., a recruiting company asking to hear from students interested in interviewing with them or a firm sending a job listing), you are operating in a reactive mode and the next step is defined. When writing to someone who has not solicited your interest and does not anticipate your letter (e.g., when you independently write to a manger of a firm you have identified), you are operating in a productive mode and next steps not defined.
In the former situation, the employer is more motivated to respond to your letter and will share responsibility for taking the next step. In the latter, you must provide strong incentives for your reader to take action. You must also take full responsibility for follow through. The content and tone of your letters will differ accordingly.
Letters written in a reactive mode are easier to write, but face stiff competition for the reader’s attention. Those written in a proactive mode are more difficult to write but face less competition and, when successful, result in a response tailored to your personal interests and qualifications.

Keys to Success
Whatever the situation, good cover letters:
• are addressed to a specific individual (ideally, the person who will profit from your contributions and who has authority to hire you)
• clearly state what you want from your reader
• demonstrate your understanding of the industry, company, position
• focus on company needs rather than your own
• provide evidence that you can contribute to the company’s success
• amplify rather than repeat information in your resume
• communicate a clear sense of direction and commitment to your goal
• convey common sense and a positive attitude
• differentiate you from other candidates
• project professionalism and confidence
• are tailored to the situation and are original rather than generic
• are concise, clear, and creatively written
• are free of typing, spelling, and grammatical errors.