Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 05:06:00 am

Author Topic: Should I do Bio instead of Chem??  (Read 832 times)  Share 

iprocrastinate

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
  • School Grad Year: 2016
Should I do Bio instead of Chem??
« on: November 05, 2015, 05:09:17 pm »
Hey guys,

So year 12 is just around the corner and I'm worried about my subject choices for next year.
I'm doing soo bad in chem (Getting E's and the occasional B+). I need either Bio or chem to do the course I want to do (Bachelor of Applied Science/ Master of Physiotherapy). I haven't done bio this year so I'm not sure as to whether I should pick it up...
I feel like I already have a massive workload as my subjects are:

-english
-methods
-further
-chem
-french

I don't know if I should get a tutor and continue with chem  :-\ What do you guys think??

Clara_tanone

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
Re: Should I do Bio instead of Chem??
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2015, 07:14:46 pm »
Did you do any subjects last year or in previous years?

Maz

• West Australian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2015, 10:00:01 pm »
id say have a chat to your teachers...and not just ur chem and the (prospective) bio teacher, pretty much all of your teachers
because they will all be able to give you advice. definitely talk to your chem and bio teacher thou. brainstorm with your chem teacher wha could possibly be pulling you down and ask ur bio teacher what it will be like joining new without unit 1/2 knowledge. i didn't do bio, I'm doing human bio (kinda bio but with just humans), but you can do 3/4 without 1/2. but yeah, definatley present the idea to your teachers. plus if your more of an english person, or good at memorising i think bio would be better, but chem has more applying, calculations and understanding. like in bio u don't necessarily need to understand as much (well u do) but u can get away with just memorising, you can't really in chem. if your a maths person id say u would probably do better in chem. like I'm an english person and i do better at human bio. it also depends at what you want to do. the general rule is that if you enjoy a subject ill want to study it, therefore increase a chance at getting better. but then there is also the fact that yr 12 gets harder... theres stuff for you to think about ...good luck in your decision  :) :D ;)
2016: Methods | Chem | Physics | Accounting | Literature

odeaa

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +28
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2015, 10:05:44 pm »
+1
fuck chem, shit is the devil

take this with a grain of salt considering i am cramming the entire subject in 4 days, but i'm yet to meet someone who enjoys it ahah

it's just an absolute grind of a subject, you absolutely cannot slack off at all unlike something like physics (imo, @pi will vouch for this)
VCE Class of 2015

Monash Uni

lilac

• Adventurer
  • School Grad Year: 2015
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2015, 01:32:53 am »
I picked up biology this year unit 3/4 and honestly, as long as you're willing to make the effort, you should be fine. The concepts in biology are very interesting and I definitely recommend you read the unit 1/2 textbook during the holidays; and watch youtube videos for them if you decide to choose biology. On the downside, biology has a lot of content and sacs which can make it very stressful as it collides with other sacs to study for, from other subjects. (In my experience).

As for chemistry. It's from a whole new world; crazy. Stressful too. If you don't need chemistry then I really don't see why you need to do it. But again, you never know what you want to be and what course you might want to do. Decisions change all the time and most science based subjects require chemistry as a pre-requisite.

I guess I'll leave it up to you to decide  :)
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 02:05:18 am by lilac »
2015: English|Japanese|Maths Methods|Biology|Chemistry