Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 07:29:23 am

Author Topic: HSC Legal Studies Question Thread  (Read 572774 times)  Share 

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: HSC Legal Studies Question Thread
« Reply #1890 on: March 19, 2018, 07:54:38 pm »
Hello guys,

I am having a lot of trouble with writing legal essays. My marks for my previous essays have not been looking too good, and I am in need of guidance on how to structure and write them.

Also, can you please give me some tips on effective studying for my half yearlies for legal? I want to do really well in my half yearlies so I can get a chance at getting a Band 6.

Hey there!! This guide is on structuring HSC essays, and this one is on constructing an argument - They could be helpful! ;D

Studying? A guide for that one too! Wow, I've written a lot of guides on Legal, ahaha :P

In general, focus on memorising lots of evidence for your extended responses/essays, and practice using them under exam conditions! Good luck :)

Razeen25

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +21
« Reply #1891 on: March 21, 2018, 08:59:39 pm »
Hii, I was just wondering, for the first section of Human Rights which is about the developing recognition of the different types of rights, how much information do we really need to know? Some of the notes I look at seem to give paragraphs and paragraphs of history (like the abolition of slavery dating back one thousand years up till now). Also, how many legislations would be ideal to remember per each of these dot points (abolotion of slavery, trade unionism, etc..)? Because I'm scared of questions like "Explain the role of law reform in the abolition of slavery" and stuff like that smh.

Thank You!! :)
HSC 2018 || Biology (90) || Business Studies (94) || English Advanced (87) || Legal Studies (91) || General Mathematics 2 (95) ||
ATAR: 96.20

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
« Reply #1892 on: March 21, 2018, 09:36:22 pm »
+3
Hii, I was just wondering, for the first section of Human Rights which is about the developing recognition of the different types of rights, how much information do we really need to know? Some of the notes I look at seem to give paragraphs and paragraphs of history (like the abolition of slavery dating back one thousand years up till now). Also, how many legislations would be ideal to remember per each of these dot points (abolotion of slavery, trade unionism, etc..)? Because I'm scared of questions like "Explain the role of law reform in the abolition of slavery" and stuff like that smh.

Thank You!! :)

Hey!

You definitely don't need to know the entire history of each. At the beginning of the year, I only had two longish paragraphs for each developing right, and narrowed it down to one paragraph by the HSC. You really don't need a ton of information, just enough to make up 5ish marks. I had two pieces of legislation for each of the dot points, but you'll do with just the UN Declaration for that specific right.

All the best :-)
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

Razeen25

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +21
« Reply #1893 on: March 21, 2018, 09:58:26 pm »
Hey!

You definitely don't need to know the entire history of each. At the beginning of the year, I only had two longish paragraphs for each developing right, and narrowed it down to one paragraph by the HSC. You really don't need a ton of information, just enough to make up 5ish marks. I had two pieces of legislation for each of the dot points, but you'll do with just the UN Declaration for that specific right.

All the best :-)

THANK YOU!!  : )
HSC 2018 || Biology (90) || Business Studies (94) || English Advanced (87) || Legal Studies (91) || General Mathematics 2 (95) ||
ATAR: 96.20

Lilabear123

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #1894 on: March 26, 2018, 08:30:52 pm »
Hi guys!

How much evidence (LCMID) should we have for each body paragraph?

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #1895 on: March 26, 2018, 08:44:11 pm »
+1
Hi guys!

Really depends! At least 2 per paragraph should be good :-)
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #1896 on: March 26, 2018, 09:46:59 pm »
+1
Hi guys!

^ To extend on above, quality over quantity! 2 examples done well is better than four done poorly. I personally usually hit about five or so :)

fergo

• Adventurer
« Reply #1897 on: March 27, 2018, 11:31:57 am »
Can law reform occur through common law? Does the creation of new precedents count as it alters how other cases are viewed?

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #1898 on: March 27, 2018, 12:30:41 pm »
+3
Can law reform occur through common law? Does the creation of new precedents count as it alters how other cases are viewed?

Hey, your suggestion of the creation of new precedents is an example of law reform through common law. :-)

Lilabear123

• Forum Regular
« Reply #1899 on: March 28, 2018, 11:21:56 am »
Hi Guys!

If i'm arguing that ADVO's are "extremely effective" and i use lcmid to back this up, do i need to also mention negatives for a more balanced argument? I haven't done this and i've already reached the word limit :(

Also, what is your opinion on parental order under the Family Law act? I'm struggling to decide wether it's effective or not in protecting DV and FV victims and its intersection with ADVO's.

Thanks!

NowYouTseMe

• MOTM: JUL 18
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #1900 on: March 28, 2018, 01:43:45 pm »
+3
Hi Guys!

If i'm arguing that ADVO's are "extremely effective" and i use lcmid to back this up, do i need to also mention negatives for a more balanced argument? I haven't done this and i've already reached the word limit :(

Also, what is your opinion on parental order under the Family Law act? I'm struggling to decide wether it's effective or not in protecting DV and FV victims and its intersection with ADVO's.

Thanks!

My teacher always stresses the need for counter-arguing every paragraph for legal studies if you want to get a consistently A range response because legal studies essay questions tend to be evaluative in nature. Also, I wouldn't call ADVOs 'extremely effective' anyway because of the extent of examples of ADVOs failing to protect individuals, such as in the recent case of R v Gavin John De Beyer(2017) where the convicted criminal murdered his wife of 30 years while an ADVO was imposed on him. Just cut down on word count by removing any unnecessary detail of evidence to fit that in.

About parenting orders, you can probably say that they are moderately effective, then give a balanced argument (and counter-argument) to show that regardless of what you think of them. Alternatively, you could use one of the legal themes and challenges like 'care and protection of children' as your entire paragraph and use parenting orders as evidence towards effectiveness or ineffectiveness.

hope this helps haha
HSC 2016
Information Processes and Technology: 90

HSC 2018
Advanced English: 95 | Extension 1 English: 47 | Extension 2 English: 42 | Legal Studies: 95 | Modern History: 94 | French Continuers: 84 | Mathematics Advanced: 89

LAT 2018: 88 (90th Percentile)

ATAR: 98.05

Lumenoria

• MOTM: JUN 18
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +85
HSC Legal Studies Question Thread
« Reply #1901 on: April 01, 2018, 01:56:37 pm »
Hey, would the case of Lubanga be relevant to international crime? Because I keep feeling as though my responses to international crime are too borderline human rights, but they're both so pertinent to eachother that it's kinda hard to find a strict distinction between the two? Also, when talking about international crime, does it HAVE to be in relation to Australia? Like, if I was talking about the Skripal poisonings, would that be okay?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2018, 02:03:25 pm by Lumenoria »
HSC 2018 (ATAR 96.35) - English Advanced (96) | Mathematics General (87) | Legal Studies (94) | Economics (89) | Industrial Technology (94)

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #1902 on: April 01, 2018, 02:49:35 pm »
+1
Hey, would the case of Lubanga be relevant to international crime? Because I keep feeling as though my responses to international crime are too borderline human rights, but they're both so pertinent to eachother that it's kinda hard to find a strict distinction between the two? Also, when talking about international crime, does it HAVE to be in relation to Australia? Like, if I was talking about the Skripal poisonings, would that be okay?

Hi!

Sure, the case of Lubanga would be relevant to international crime because from memory, there's a dot point on international responses/courts. The responses to international crime do crossover quite a bit with human rights - I think that's something most Legal students feel hahaha. It's probably better if you have cases in relation to Australia, because the Crime topic is about the NSW Legal system. Personally, I wouldn't use the example of the Skripal poisonings, as it's not directly related to Australia, but perhaps you could talk about it as an example of the international community's response to the crime?

Hope this helps!

emilyygeorgexx

• HSC LECTURER
  • ____________
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +113
« Reply #1903 on: April 01, 2018, 03:16:46 pm »
+3

Yep, you can definitely used the Lubanga case for International Crime! As in international crime you have transnational crime and crimes against the international community you can use this in the section of crimes against the international humanity, especially in relation to the international measures undertaken by Australia.

If ever a question on this you would explain about how Australia has signed and ratified the Rome Statute 2002 and then enacted the International Criminal Court Act 2002 (Cwlth) into domestic legislation. This then leads you into a good path for talking about Lubanga as a case when referring to the ICC as international measure taken by Australia to prosecute crimes against the international community. Remember that the ICC is a court of last resort and only prosecute cases when domestic courts can't or unwilling to do so.

If your school does World Order as an option you'll learn more how it ends up linking in with international crime!
« Last Edit: April 01, 2018, 04:22:18 pm by emilyygeorgexx »
HSC 2018 - (ATAR: 99.10)
English Advanced (90) | General Mathematics 2 (95) | Business Studies (98 - 6th in NSW) | Legal Studies (94) | Economics (93) | Studies of Religion 1 (48)

2019: B Commerce/B Laws @ UNSW

Lumenoria

• MOTM: JUN 18
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +85
« Reply #1904 on: April 03, 2018, 05:32:27 pm »
Hey! You know how when we use an acronym in our legal essays, usually we write out the entire thing first and then put in in brackets, and THEN proceed to using the acronym in brackets from thereon? (Like, Criminal Justice System (CJS)) For really obvious things such as SMH and BOCSAR, is that really necessary? Idk I feel like I'm wasting time hahaha
HSC 2018 (ATAR 96.35) - English Advanced (96) | Mathematics General (87) | Legal Studies (94) | Economics (89) | Industrial Technology (94)