Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 12:15:23 am

Author Topic: HSC Legal Studies Question Thread  (Read 572722 times)  Share 

eliseeeeee_m

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2
Re: HSC Legal Studies Question Thread
« Reply #1950 on: June 18, 2018, 08:07:36 pm »
Heyo
just wanted to clarify if saying 'lack of' is too colloquial for an essay.
Eg: The lack of domestic legislation is detrimental to the protection of indigenous rights......

:P
HSC 2018: Advanced English // Extension English I // Modern History // Legal Studies // Drama // Studies of Religion I

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
« Reply #1951 on: June 18, 2018, 08:36:25 pm »
+1
Heyo
just wanted to clarify if saying 'lack of' is too colloquial for an essay.
Eg: The lack of domestic legislation is detrimental to the protection of indigenous rights......

:P

Hey,

I think it's all good - I used "lack of" many times in my essays and have never been told off about it. :-)
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

Caleb Campion

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #1952 on: June 22, 2018, 12:16:33 pm »
Hi there! I noticed that the other marking thread wasn't active so I am posting here :) I have just written an introduction to my world order essay, and was wondering what you think of it? The question is very weird (doesn't ask for effectiveness or evaluation etc). The question is
‘’Identify what World Order issues are and explain how Australia has responded to these issue within our legal contexts, involvement and actions within a national and international setting.’’

My introduction:
Due to rapid increases in globalisation and the resulting greater interdependence between nations, the need for world order has never been greater. World order issues, defined as those that relate to the promotion of peace and resolution of conflicts between states, hence require immediate and effective responses by capable nations to maintain international stability within legal, economic and political frameworks. Post World War II, Australia has played an increasingly crucial role in ensuring regional international security with key military and humanitarian responses to issues such as global terrorism, and in areas including Timor-Leste, Solomon Islands, Afghanistan and Iraq. Retrospectively, Australian intervention within the aforementioned conflicts have been extensive, ongoing, and most importantly, successful; yet criticisms remain regarding the necessity and economic cost of Australia’s humanitarian operations.

Thanks!

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #1953 on: June 22, 2018, 10:09:41 pm »
Hi there! I noticed that the other marking thread wasn't active so I am posting here :) I have just written an introduction to my world order essay, and was wondering what you think of it? The question is very weird (doesn't ask for effectiveness or evaluation etc). The question is
‘’Identify what World Order issues are and explain how Australia has responded to these issue within our legal contexts, involvement and actions within a national and international setting.’

Really don't have much to say about your intro Caleb, I think it is brilliant!! You've done a great job setting up your paragraphs and establishing a main idea - If the rest follows suit I think it will be a fantastic essay! :) the question is weird, I agree! Potentially you could have explored more of what the world order issues are in the intro, would be my only comment. But like, for any other essay, this would be perfect ;D

Caleb Campion

• Forum Regular
« Reply #1954 on: June 23, 2018, 09:34:40 am »
Really don't have much to say about your intro Caleb, I think it is brilliant!! You've done a great job setting up your paragraphs and establishing a main idea - If the rest follows suit I think it will be a fantastic essay! :) the question is weird, I agree! Potentially you could have explored more of what the world order issues are in the intro, would be my only comment. But like, for any other essay, this would be perfect ;D

Awesome to hear! Cheers for the feedback :)

kristieevans

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #1955 on: June 23, 2018, 09:47:38 pm »
Is a senate committee a legal or non-legal measure??? Also, what about the Fair Work Ombudsman?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #1956 on: June 24, 2018, 12:32:53 am »
+1
Is a senate committee a legal or non-legal measure??? Also, what about the Fair Work Ombudsman?

Hi! Senate committee I'd call a legal measure, as I'd say it is an element of the legislature ;D

I'd say the same for the FWO, since it is a statutory agency set up by the Fair Work Act ;D

kristieevans

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #1957 on: June 24, 2018, 08:00:38 am »
+1
Hi! Senate committee I'd call a legal measure, as I'd say it is an element of the legislature ;D

I'd say the same for the FWO, since it is a statutory agency set up by the Fair Work Act ;D

Awesome, thank you so much!

Caleb Campion

• Forum Regular
« Reply #1958 on: June 24, 2018, 03:33:31 pm »
So Jamon, (or any other legal moderator), I've constructed my first 2 paragraphs (topics) to follow the introduction I posted above, and I'm not sure if I've 'earnt' a response or marking from you guys, but a mere skim would be great help! I'm trying to address the question in a way that answers it with plenty of evidence, as it is primarily about Australia's responses to world order issues, but I don't want it to read like I'm just 'listing examples' or just recounting history. Anyways, I would love some thoughts on how it sounds/wording/content? I'm also, at this point, going to end up over the essay's word limit, so some ideas on what I could omit from the essay or nominalise on would be great :) Thanks :)

Upon the illegal Indonesian invasion of East-Timor in 1975, countless mass atrocity crimes and violence ensued throughout a 25 year occupation of the small nation-state, invoking regional humanitarian concern and neighbouring instability for Australia. Whilst Australia’s initial response was one of ‘non-intervention’, a United Nations Mission in East Timor (UMAMET) task-force of primarily Australian police intervened to administrate a legal referendum for East-Timorese independence, sanctified by the Security Council Resolution 1246 'Ballot to Decide on Special Autonomy for East Timor'. However in response to the national support for independence, on the third of September 1999, pro-Indonesian militias pursued a rampage of violence, rape, infrastructural damage and murder to the dismay of international reporters and state authorities. Australia responded immediately, leading a United Nations peacekeeping force known as the International Force for East Timor (INTERFET) into East Timor, reestablishing law and order within only weeks; the response was hailed an outstanding success for the United Nations, acknowledging Australia's integral role. Although, with over one third of the East Timorese population lost from 1975 to 1999, humanitarian issues within the fragile state were far from solved, importuning Australian aid for many years to come. In the form of non-legal responses, Australia contributed over $890 million in assistance between 1999 and 2009, inclusive of medical aid in the form of 10 000 operations and 15 000 consultations for the people of the renamed Timor-Leste, and the creation of 32 000 jobs through public works projects. Such a response - one that came at a great economic and political cost - represents not only the extent of Australian assistance to its conflicted neighbour, but also the importance of immediate peacekeeping in preserving world order. Furthermore, non-government organisations such as CARE Australia, that addresses indicators of economic development including life expectancy, had worked in East-Timor since 1994, displaying the ability of non-state actors to proactively respond to issues that threaten human rights and multinational stability. Moreover, Australian efforts came to fruition with the success of the 2012 elections held in Timor-Leste a mere 10 years after its declaration of statehood, conclusively portraying the importance and effectiveness of Australia's responses in resolving conflicts, protecting democracy and reinstating regional stability and international law.

Whilst world order issues involve initial tensions between states, such issues have the ability to promote an even greater level of global cooperation and resilience to future conflicts; in recognition of common threats, national objectives become ones of international focus. Terrorism, defined as acts of violence against a population to inflict terror and hence influence governments, could be classified as one such issue, arising as a global phenomenon since the 11 September 2001 attacks against the United States. With terrorist networks such as Al Qaeda and ISIS possessing loosely connected cells in many countries, advanced economies internationally have become severely influenced by these groups and have responded extensively. Australia’s growing responses to terrorism have been largely stimulated by the Bali Bombings of October 2002, where in claiming the lives of 89 Australians, shattered any global preconception of safety from the threat of terrorism due to geographical isolation. Australian retaliation ensued, including surges in government funding for the Australian Secret Intelligence Organisation, the provision of 46 members of the Australian Federal Police to assist investigation of the Bali Bombings, and legal reforms increasing the maximum sentence for espionage from 7 to 25 years.

Further legislative reformation increase exponentially in the years following, such as amendments to the Federal Criminal Code Act 1995 to outlaw membership and connections to terrorist organisation, as well as the introduction of Part 2A of the Terrorism (Police Powers) Act 2002 (NSW), which increased potential detention periods up to 14 days for terror suspects. Such legislation is a key measure in the international ‘war on terror’, as it both establishes standards of punishment and investigation globally, and encourages the development of interconnected networks of intelligence between nation states - a proactive force against the issue of terrorism. This is highlighted by the domestic ‘Joint Counter Terrorism Intelligence Coordination Unit’ initiative that combines officers and databases of all Australian intelligence agencies, a program supplementary to Australia’s ratification of ‘memorandums of understanding’ on counter-terrorism with Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand and the Philippines. The aforementioned agreements promote increased bilateral cooperation between intelligence and law enforcements agencies and defense officials of Australia and the signatory countries; conventions that actively support domestic reform and a stability and security between states globally. Hence, in response to the complication of terrorism, as recent in Australia as the ‘Lindt Cafe Siege’ of 2014, Australia has responded extensively within legal, political and economic frameworks to ensure both regional and international peace.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 05:18:57 pm by Caleb Campion »

moq418

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #1959 on: June 26, 2018, 09:29:16 pm »
Hi I need help with THIS URGENT ESSAY QUESTION HSC  legal studies essay question:
With specific reference to contemporary issues (homelessness), analyse the barriers to achieving justice in the provision of shelterHi I need hello with is hsc legal studies essay question:
With specific reference to contemporary issues (homelessness), analyse the barriers to achieving justice in the provision of shelter

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #1960 on: June 26, 2018, 10:11:51 pm »
+4
Hi I need help with THIS URGENT ESSAY QUESTION HSC  legal studies essay question:
With specific reference to contemporary issues (homelessness), analyse the barriers to achieving justice in the provision of shelter

Hey, welcome to the forums!

Dude you don't know how excited I am to see a Shelter question!!! I'm jumping up for joy inside *cracks knuckles* let's get to answering this question.

With homelessness, you can chuck in some stats about affordability which is quite relevant because as housing prices climb, it's harder to find a home! I'd suggest looking at this thread for some articles on those topics.

You can also talk about the lack of actual legislation to deal with homelessness. Like there are things such as the National Affordable Housing Agreement (NAHA) which is a grant from the federal government to state governments to help out with homelessness, but it has to be renewed every year. With this, ~$250b is spread throughout the states, but there's always uncertainty with this - you don't know if the federal government will increase or decrease this grant, or if they will abolish it altogether. There's also the fact that states distribute money differently, so NGOs might be affected in the sense that there's no consistency. You can also talk about how Homelessness Australia closed down in 2016. BUT despite some of the shortcomings of these government initiatives, there are some effective ones, like the Reconnect program (specifically for young people), which reportedly had a 90% success rate in improving the lives of young people and their housing situation.

There's also the fact that NGOs are the most effective way of helping homeless people, but like I said before, funding is a huge issue. In addition, there aren't nearly enough volunteers with the NGOs. I'd suggest googling "homelessness in Sydney" - lots of recent media articles will pop up which are super helpful!

I apologise if this didn't make sense lol it's very all over the place.

Hope this helps!
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies

moq418

• Trailblazer
« Reply #1961 on: June 27, 2018, 08:42:12 pm »
im really confused and dont know what the barriers to achieving justice in the provision of shelter and does that include the barriers for homlessness. this is regarding to the previous question i had.
Thank you so much!!

moq418

• Trailblazer
« Reply #1962 on: June 27, 2018, 08:43:32 pm »
Also is there a smaple essay i can look to get a idea on analyse the barriers to achieving justice in the provision of shelter

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #1963 on: June 27, 2018, 08:50:45 pm »
im really confused and dont know what the barriers to achieving justice in the provision of shelter and does that include the barriers for homlessness. this is regarding to the previous question i had.
Thank you so much!!

Hey,

What do you mean by the barriers to achieving justice in the provision of shelter including the barriers for homelessness?

Also is there a sample essay i can look to get a idea on analyse the barriers to achieving justice in the provision of shelter

I just took a look in the notes section, and there doesn't appear to be anything there - Shelter is a pretty uncommon option!

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #1964 on: June 27, 2018, 09:40:03 pm »
So Jamon, (or any other legal moderator), I've constructed my first 2 paragraphs (topics) to follow the introduction I posted above, and I'm not sure if I've 'earnt' a response or marking from you guys, but a mere skim would be great help! I'm trying to address the question in a way that answers it with plenty of evidence, as it is primarily about Australia's responses to world order issues, but I don't want it to read like I'm just 'listing examples' or just recounting history. Anyways, I would love some thoughts on how it sounds/wording/content? I'm also, at this point, going to end up over the essay's word limit, so some ideas on what I could omit from the essay or nominalise on would be great :) Thanks :)

Hey! So it's a bit of a weird one hey - Normally I'd say this is a bit much like a historical recount. Despite the huge amount of evidence you aren't doing much with each. The thing is though that this question doesn't really want you to do much, it's really just presenting our response. Really strange question! :P

What I would potentially say is to adopt a less chronological approach to the evidence. Less "this happened then this happened," and more of "We do/did this and this was important because _______." Even just the shift away from doing it in order would be good I think, make it feel less recount-y.

I'd also adjust the evidence to incorporate more LCTMI - Laws, Cases, Treaties, Media, Instruments, all that sort of stuff. Right now it is a lot of organisations/initiatives and statistics, having some media in there would provide a nice balance. Take a look at the treaties Australia is a signatory for that support world order. That sort of stuff ;D

Awesome work though, definitely love the balance between legal and non-legal, you've clearly done your research! :)