Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 09:38:03 am

Author Topic: HSC Legal Studies Question Thread  (Read 572791 times)  Share 

Caleb Campion

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +6
Re: HSC Legal Studies Question Thread
« Reply #1965 on: June 28, 2018, 12:18:59 pm »
+1
Hey! So it's a bit of a weird one hey - Normally I'd say this is a bit much like a historical recount. Despite the huge amount of evidence you aren't doing much with each. The thing is though that this question doesn't really want you to do much, it's really just presenting our response. Really strange question! :P

What I would potentially say is to adopt a less chronological approach to the evidence. Less "this happened then this happened," and more of "We do/did this and this was important because _______." Even just the shift away from doing it in order would be good I think, make it feel less recount-y.

I'd also adjust the evidence to incorporate more LCTMI - Laws, Cases, Treaties, Media, Instruments, all that sort of stuff. Right now it is a lot of organisations/initiatives and statistics, having some media in there would provide a nice balance. Take a look at the treaties Australia is a signatory for that support world order. That sort of stuff ;D

Awesome work though, definitely love the balance between legal and non-legal, you've clearly done your research! :)

Cheers! I actually submitted this essay yesterday, but I changed things around as I had to nominalise a lot to fit in the word count. I really was't impressed by the question, but did what I could. thanks!

Caleb Campion

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #1966 on: June 28, 2018, 12:30:51 pm »
So, I'm in a bit of a weird situation. I am several weeks ahead of my class in terms of notes and content, so in class would be just revision. But, we are either going on a huge tangent that is not helpful to the dot points for the HSC, or writing notes identical to ones I already have. So my question is, since I can't sit there memorising my notes during class, what should I so during my classes? Do you have tips for things I should read or do? Like find criticial articles or essays on related topics maybe? :'(

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #1967 on: June 28, 2018, 06:54:14 pm »
So, I'm in a bit of a weird situation. I am several weeks ahead of my class in terms of notes and content, so in class would be just revision. But, we are either going on a huge tangent that is not helpful to the dot points for the HSC, or writing notes identical to ones I already have. So my question is, since I can't sit there memorising my notes during class, what should I so during my classes? Do you have tips for things I should read or do? Like find criticial articles or essays on related topics maybe? :'(

Howdy! Tough situation indeed - Though it is awesome you are ahead!!

I'd be grabbing some Trial papers and going to town doing some practice exams to be honest! Can never do too much practice. Also invest time getting feedback, perhaps even giving it (I always found helping my mates out really beneficial for myself as well) :)

moq418

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #1968 on: June 28, 2018, 08:15:08 pm »
Hi, I'm really confused and unsure of the barriers to achieving justice in the provision of shelter in relating to homlessness. Can you tell me some barriers im really stuck also how would i introduce the points in a legal studies especially in this case how would i do that. AND for the introduction im not sure what to write to answer this question can you please help me, also what does it mean by analyse the barriers ... thanks

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
« Reply #1969 on: June 28, 2018, 08:39:04 pm »
+1
Hi, I'm really confused and unsure of the barriers to achieving justice in the provision of shelter in relating to homlessness. Can you tell me some barriers im really stuck also how would i introduce the points in a legal studies especially in this case how would i do that. AND for the introduction im not sure what to write to answer this question can you please help me, also what does it mean by analyse the barriers ... thanks

Hey,

I already wrote a few barriers in relation to homelessness in my first reply to you here. But more explicitly, they are: housing affordability, lack of legislation in regards to homelessness, inconsistency of funding for initiatives. You can also look at how NGOs are the most effective measure for homelessness but don't have enough resources to cater for every homeless person.

You would introduce the points the same way as any other Legal essay. It doesn't have to be fancy, it just has to be to the point. For example, "A barrier to achieving justice in the provision of shelter in relation to homelessness is... (insert barrier here). In terms of analysing the barriers, think about every other essay you've written - it's pretty much the same thing. Look at both sides of each barrier (i.e. effective/ineffective). That's the simplest way to analyse the barriers!
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

Razeen25

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +21
« Reply #1970 on: June 29, 2018, 03:34:21 pm »
Hii,

Today I had my legal exam for family, and the essay question I had was something along the lines of “Assess the effectiveness of legal and non-legal responses in regards to dealing with problems in family relationships.”

I was wondering how bad of a mark one would get if they only spent one paragraph assessing non-legal responses? Because that’s what I did smh. Idk why I blanked out and completely forgot non-legal responses except those of domestic violence and same-sex relationship recognition, but I only wrote about domestic violence non-legal responses.

In terms of legal responses I had MANY for lots of different issues. I can already imagine my teacher saying how my lack of non-legal responses in comparison to legal responses was what limited my mark :/.
HSC 2018 || Biology (90) || Business Studies (94) || English Advanced (87) || Legal Studies (91) || General Mathematics 2 (95) ||
ATAR: 96.20

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #1971 on: June 30, 2018, 12:35:56 am »
Hii,

Today I had my legal exam for family, and the essay question I had was something along the lines of “Assess the effectiveness of legal and non-legal responses in regards to dealing with problems in family relationships.”

I was wondering how bad of a mark one would get if they only spent one paragraph assessing non-legal responses? Because that’s what I did smh. Idk why I blanked out and completely forgot non-legal responses except those of domestic violence and same-sex relationship recognition, but I only wrote about domestic violence non-legal responses.

In terms of legal responses I had MANY for lots of different issues. I can already imagine my teacher saying how my lack of non-legal responses in comparison to legal responses was what limited my mark :/.

Hey!! So you probably will not get as good of a mark as you would have if things were more balanced, but I don't think it will matter too much! There is almost always a swing to the legal stuff anyway - Don't stress! ;D

moq418

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #1972 on: July 01, 2018, 10:39:50 pm »
Im really confused and unsure how to write the introduction of this essay question: With specific reference to contemporary issues, analyse the barriers to achieving justice in the provision of shelter
I know the barriers: social hosuing, discrimination and housing affordability please tell me these are correct and if they are i know the barriers but i dont know how to write the intoruduction please help me! much apprreicate it thank you atarnotes

Lumenoria

• MOTM: JUN 18
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +85
« Reply #1973 on: July 01, 2018, 11:29:33 pm »
+1

Hii,

My teacher always tries to reassure us that it's "legal" studies - not "non legal studies" haha. Joke aside, I honestly think that, as long as you present a nuanced judgement that is backed up with judicious evidence, you will be more than okay. I honestly don't think a single paragraph on non legal is even that bad - I did it for world order and got 25/25 so I think it really just depends on the writing itself :)
HSC 2018 (ATAR 96.35) - English Advanced (96) | Mathematics General (87) | Legal Studies (94) | Economics (89) | Industrial Technology (94)

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
« Reply #1974 on: July 02, 2018, 12:11:49 am »
Im really confused and unsure how to write the introduction of this essay question: With specific reference to contemporary issues, analyse the barriers to achieving justice in the provision of shelter
I know the barriers: social housing, discrimination and housing affordability please tell me these are correct and if they are i know the barriers but i don't know how to write the introduction please help me! much appreciate it thank you atarnotes

Those barriers are fine. :-) Writing an introduction for this essay question is the same as any other one you'd write in Legal. First, answer the question - this can be something super basic like "There are many barriers to achieving justice in the provision of shelter, which is evident through the contemporary issue of homelessness." (pls don't do this, that sentence is just an example) Next, address all the points you're going to be talking about, i.e. barriers. Third (but not totally necessary), link back to the question again. All done!

I'm not going to write out an introduction for you because that kinda defeats the purpose of you learning, but best of luck for this essay!
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

Razeen25

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +21
« Reply #1975 on: July 02, 2018, 12:22:20 am »
My teacher always tries to reassure us that it's "legal" studies - not "non legal studies" haha. Joke aside, I honestly think that, as long as you present a nuanced judgement that is backed up with judicious evidence, you will be more than okay. I honestly don't think a single paragraph on non legal is even that bad - I did it for world order and got 25/25 so I think it really just depends on the writing itself :)

YOUR LEGAL TEACHER IS A DAMN MOOD BAHAHAHA where’s the lieeeee 👀👀. Ok but in all seriousness, I hope you’re riiight. 25/25 is so amazing oml if I got anything even slightly close to that I’d be so happyyy, probs not tho rip.
HSC 2018 || Biology (90) || Business Studies (94) || English Advanced (87) || Legal Studies (91) || General Mathematics 2 (95) ||
ATAR: 96.20

nishta

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +9
« Reply #1976 on: July 04, 2018, 06:10:40 pm »
What's the best way to write legal studies notes? Hand-written or typed?
HSC 2019: English Extension 2, Maths Advanced, Legal Studies, Business Studies, Visual Arts

emilyygeorgexx

• HSC LECTURER
  • ____________
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +113
« Reply #1977 on: July 04, 2018, 06:23:00 pm »
+1
What's the best way to write legal studies notes? Hand-written or typed?

Hey!

I've typed all my legal notes but when I do my actual study I'll do quick hand written summaries of my typed notes!

Hope this helps ;D
HSC 2018 - (ATAR: 99.10)
English Advanced (90) | General Mathematics 2 (95) | Business Studies (98 - 6th in NSW) | Legal Studies (94) | Economics (93) | Studies of Religion 1 (48)

2019: B Commerce/B Laws @ UNSW

joannelovescake

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +11
« Reply #1978 on: July 04, 2018, 07:21:37 pm »
+10
Hi!

As someone else above me said, I prefer having my formal notes typed. I write my notes throughout the term. What I usually do is make a title page for each of the topics, make an outline of the chapters, and include the syllabus on the first page. A good tip is to start a new document (not a new page) for a new topic eg Crime, Human Rights. This not only keeps you organised but it also gives you an indication of how much you'll have to study eventually according to the number of pages you have. Then I ensure I use headings, subheadings, colours etc to make my notes neat and easy to read. When I finish a whole topic, I save the document as a PDF for easier reading; word documents tend to distract me. Typed notes also work better when you need quick access (eg you can just type key words in search)

When I actually study the notes, I rewrite everything twice consecutively in dot point form (and I don't mean for example 100 pages x2, I mean definitions, concepts etc) so it sticks to my brain. Then I highlight one of the duplicates to make it stand out, and read it once again, out loud.

Hope this helps!
HSC 2018  :  English Adv, Legal Studies, Ancient History, Chemistry, Biology

2019: BCommerce / BLaws @ UNSW

I offer affordable one-to-one and group tutoring in English, Modern Greek, History and Science :) send me a message!

eliseeeeee_m

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #1979 on: July 16, 2018, 08:32:22 pm »
+1
I know this is only a tiny thing but...
Is there a difference between plea bargaining and charge negotiation?
The textbook uses the terms interchangeably, however, they have both been options for a multiple choice question.

HSC 2018: Advanced English // Extension English I // Modern History // Legal Studies // Drama // Studies of Religion I