Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 05:19:18 am

Author Topic: HSC Legal Studies Question Thread  (Read 572761 times)  Share 

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: Legal Studies Question Thread
« Reply #870 on: May 18, 2017, 12:10:10 pm »
Hey! How many cases should I try to integrate per paragraph in the Family Law topic?

Hey! It is very much quality over quantity, but you should aim for a solid amount of Laws, Cases, Media, and the like per paragraph. I always suggest a minimum of three - Which could mean one case, one law and one of something else per paragraph. If you can get more, great!! But three can be enough if you do a lot with them ;D

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #871 on: May 18, 2017, 12:11:30 pm »

Aaron12038488

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #872 on: May 18, 2017, 07:21:30 pm »
what does this question mean? How should i go about this question, being allocated 2 marks.
Describe the role of the law in encouraging cooperation in regard to this issue.

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #873 on: May 18, 2017, 07:29:46 pm »
what does this question mean? How should i go about this question, being allocated 2 marks.
Describe the role of the law in encouraging cooperation in regard to this issue.

What's the issue? :)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #874 on: May 18, 2017, 07:42:25 pm »
cyber bullying - http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/cyberbullying-top-of-parents-minds-as-teens-go-back-to-school-20170129-gu0qmp.html

Cool! So the question is asking you to explain how the law has encouraged different parties to work together to address the issue of cyberbullying - This could be government strategies to address the issue, court decisions in the area, and others. I unfortunately don't know a whole lot about this issue specifically - Hopefully others can give more specific help! :)

phebsh

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +15
« Reply #875 on: May 18, 2017, 08:32:27 pm »
Hey, I've got this assignment essay question for Consumer Law and I just can't find information on the topic except for that the Trades Practices Act was changed to the Competition and Consumer Act...
“Evaluate the effectiveness of law reform in achieving just outcomes for consumers”
If anyone's got any ideas, resources or cases, that'd be really helpful.
2017 HSC
Advanced English ~ Advanced Mathematics ~ Biology ~ Business Studies ~ Legal Studies

phebsh

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +15
« Reply #876 on: May 18, 2017, 08:39:05 pm »
+1
cyber bullying - http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/cyberbullying-top-of-parents-minds-as-teens-go-back-to-school-20170129-gu0qmp.html

I did a task on cyber-bullying in prelim, but that wasn't the question so my information was mostly about law enforcers finding it difficult to 'keep up' with new technology and therefore being inadequate in punishing culprits of the issue. That's probably not very helpful, sorry!
2017 HSC
Advanced English ~ Advanced Mathematics ~ Biology ~ Business Studies ~ Legal Studies

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #877 on: May 18, 2017, 09:19:40 pm »
+1
Hey, I've got this assignment essay question for Consumer Law and I just can't find information on the topic except for that the Trades Practices Act was changed to the Competition and Consumer Act...
“Evaluate the effectiveness of law reform in achieving just outcomes for consumers”
If anyone's got any ideas, resources or cases, that'd be really helpful.

Hey! I didn't study consumers, but it looks like there are a few resources in our Notes section! :)

Thanks for your awesome response above ;D

sweetxpple

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #878 on: May 18, 2017, 09:22:55 pm »
Hi !
I have an assessment task about world order that requires contemporary regional/global situations that threaten peace and security to answer a question 'Evaluate to what extent legal and non - legal measures have been effective in responding to at least one contemporary regional/global situation that threatens peace and security?'

I have found two issue but I am unsure.

First issue is Omar Al Bashir (who has committed war crimes, crimes against humanity, genocide) but is it really an issue that threatens peace and security when he mostly has violated human rights?

Second issue is Russia using veto 8 times to back out of Syrian resolutions,but is veto really a legal measure? If so then under the syllabus, does it just come under 'the United Nations' which is under 'responses to world order' in the syllabus?

Thank you! Apologies if this is too much as a question!

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #879 on: May 18, 2017, 09:41:01 pm »
+1
Hi !
I have an assessment task about world order that requires contemporary regional/global situations that threaten peace and security to answer a question 'Evaluate to what extent legal and non - legal measures have been effective in responding to at least one contemporary regional/global situation that threatens peace and security?'

I have found two issue but I am unsure.

First issue is Omar Al Bashir (who has committed war crimes, crimes against humanity, genocide) but is it really an issue that threatens peace and security when he mostly has violated human rights?

Second issue is Russia using veto 8 times to back out of Syrian resolutions,but is veto really a legal measure? If so then under the syllabus, does it just come under 'the United Nations' which is under 'responses to world order' in the syllabus?

Thank you! Apologies if this is too much as a question!

Hi sweetxpple! Welcome to the forums ;D never too much of a question!

Your second issue is absolutely one to discuss. And yep, it would come under the UNSC - You'd discuss how the veto power situation has affected the effectiveness of the UNSC in this scenario. You'd probably be saying the response is ineffective ;D

Your first one is a little bit Human Rights-ish, I agree, but you could make it work. World Order is about discussing cooperation and compliance, and clearly the Bashir issue is an example of the limited effectiveness of that cooperation (the ICC has had a warrant for his arrest for like 8 years now) :P

If you are in need of another issue/case study, use North Korea! Lots of evidence for essays there since tensions really flared up a few years ago :) hope this helped! Really hope this community can be useful for you ;D

sweetxpple

• Adventurer
« Reply #880 on: May 19, 2017, 12:38:19 am »
Hi !

How many words / pages would you recommend when writing a legal studies essay within a 45 minute time frame?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #881 on: May 19, 2017, 12:40:13 am »
Hi !

How many words / pages would you recommend when writing a legal studies essay within a 45 minute time frame?

Hey! I normally filled two writing booklets spending about 45-50 minutes on an Option essay in an exam scenario- Maybe 4.5 A4 pages, 1100 words or so? ;D although it is definitely a case of quality over quantity, you'd probably want to hit like a 700 word(ish) minimum to get the required detail ;D

Kekemato_BAP

• Forum Regular
  • Keep calm and study more
« Reply #882 on: May 19, 2017, 09:37:01 am »
I'm confused with this question
What should I definitely include in my essay?

It says at least ONE issue, but can you do two? Would it be too much?
Hello

Rasika

• Forum Regular
« Reply #883 on: May 21, 2017, 07:08:46 pm »
1. Research the Family Court of Australia and present the findings of your research in the form of an oral report (time limit of 5 minutes). In your report:

a) Outline the role of the Family Court of Australia in Australia’s legal system.

b) Identify and describe ONE case that has been heard in the Family Court of Australia.

c) Evaluate the effectiveness of the Family Court of Australia in achieving justice for family members using the criteria (factors) to be considered when evaluating the effectiveness of family law in achieving justice:

* Equality

* Accessibility

* Enforceability

* Resource efficiency

* Protection and recognition of individual rights

* Law as a reflection of community standards and expectations

* Opportunities for appeals and review

* Balance of individual rights and values and community rights and values

You should make reference to the case selected in part 2 above AND other family law issues.

Can someone help me out with what i am supposed to do for this research oral task?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #884 on: May 21, 2017, 07:46:30 pm »
I'm confused with this question
What should I definitely include in my essay?
(Image removed from quote.)
It says at least ONE issue, but can you do two? Would it be too much?

Hey! You could definitely do more than one if you preferred it - It would probably be easier, since you wouldn't need as much depth! Basically, you just need a handful (1 to 3 probably) of situations, where you can evaluate the response of Legal and Non-Legal measures to those situations (North Korea would be a good case study right now) ;D