Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 08:35:20 am

Author Topic: HSC Legal Studies Question Thread  (Read 572784 times)  Share 

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: Legal Studies Question Thread
« Reply #930 on: May 31, 2017, 07:25:05 pm »
Is anyone else doing a World Order Task into East Timor and/or North Korea ??

if so and you would like to exchange resources that would be awesome

Help much appreciated!

There's some awesome World Order resources in our Notes section! There's some stuff on North Korea in there for sure - We'd love for you to add to the collection to help everyone out ;D

maria1999

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #931 on: June 05, 2017, 07:48:28 pm »
hey guys!
I have a hand-in task on family law coming up and I've chosen to do it on the recognition of same sex couples. This is the question: Evaluate the responsiveness of the law in achieving justice for family members

It's a 25 mark essay and I want to split it up into three main points
1. Recognition of same-sex partnerships
2. Recognition of children in same sex partnership (bringing up adoption and such)
3. I'm not quite sure yet

This is my into thus far:
The responsiveness of the law in achieving justice for all family members in regards to the recognition of same sex couples has been somewhat responsive. Although same-sex couples have struggled throughout the years to obtain the same legal rights as opposite sex couples, the Australian legal system has made significant progress in ensuring the rights of same-sex couples are kept consistent with that of their opposite sex counterparts. However, laws concerning that of same-sex marriage and children of homosexual couples severely impede on the responsiveness of the law in achieving justice for family members.

Is this a good plan and intro so far? And is there anything I could use as my third point? I struggle so much with intro's and plan's so any guidance would be much appreciated. Thank you so much in advance!!

Wales

• MOTM: JUN 2017
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +91
« Reply #932 on: June 05, 2017, 08:22:36 pm »
+1
hey guys!
I have a hand-in task on family law coming up and I've chosen to do it on the recognition of same sex couples. This is the question: Evaluate the responsiveness of the law in achieving justice for family members

2. Recognition of children in same sex partnership (bringing up adoption and such)

The responsiveness of the law in achieving justice for all family members in regards to the recognition of same sex couples has been somewhat responsive. Although same-sex couples have struggled throughout the years to obtain the same legal rights as opposite sex couples, the Australian legal system has made significant progress in ensuring the rights of same-sex couples are kept consistent with that of their opposite sex counterparts. However, laws concerning that of same-sex marriage and children of homosexual couples severely impede on the responsiveness of the law in achieving justice for family members.

Is this a good plan and intro so far? And is there anything I could use as my third point? I struggle so much with intro's and plan's so any guidance would be much appreciated. Thank you so much in advance!!

I should probably leave this to our state ranker legal student but hey, I'll give it a try.

With your intro, I like how you established firmly your judgement, clearly defines the path of the essay. Nice. I feel like you need to mention something about how the legal system hasn't been responsive for same-sex marriages. For same-sex couples you've mentioned how there's been a struggle throughout years but not so much for marriage. Maybe add in lacklustre response times? Not too sure. It's an essay structured around the RESPONSIVENESS so I would focus on how efficient and quick to react the law is to resolving these cases.

I would include something about the best interests of the child in point 2 if you aren't already, I believe anything you write relating to children at least has to mention that, after all it's the most key focus of your paragraph too!

Point 1 there's a lot to talk about. How laws have reformed to allow same-sex couples to use BWS as a partial defence to name one. Link it to whatever you can that's relevant, that's what I've been seeing Jamon tell people :)

Not too sure what to suggest for point 3. I would personally group my essay for Family Law into 3 main categories, Domestic Violence, Same Sex, Children & Divorce but I'm sure you can find something to write about Same-Sex in family law.

Correct me if I am wrong in any place :) I've only just finished Family Law myself so I would see what Jamon has to say as well.

Goodluck my fellow legal student ~ !
Heavy Things :(

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #933 on: June 05, 2017, 09:04:31 pm »
hey guys!

Wales' feedback above is fantastic  8)

For the intro, to elevate it further, you might want to add a sentence to the start about why the responses to Family Law need to be responsive. Like, "In the area of family law, it is absolutely essential for the law to be responsive to contemporary values to achieve outcomes reflective of community standards." Or something like that (don't use that, it doesn't flow in properly). Just a little spin or justification of the essay to make it a little more interesting - Totally optional, what you have is awesome.

Maybe you structure your points something like this:
1 - Recognition of same sex couples in a de-facto sense (work that has been done)
2 - Same Sex Marriage (work still to be done)
3 - Children and adoption and such

Wales is right, the same sex marriage thing is worth some attention, and perhaps this is the way ;D

maria1999

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #934 on: June 06, 2017, 09:28:37 am »
I should probably leave this to our state ranker legal student but hey, I'll give it a try.

With your intro, I like how you established firmly your judgement, clearly defines the path of the essay. Nice. I feel like you need to mention something about how the legal system hasn't been responsive for same-sex marriages. For same-sex couples you've mentioned how there's been a struggle throughout years but not so much for marriage. Maybe add in lacklustre response times? Not too sure. It's an essay structured around the RESPONSIVENESS so I would focus on how efficient and quick to react the law is to resolving these cases.

I would include something about the best interests of the child in point 2 if you aren't already, I believe anything you write relating to children at least has to mention that, after all it's the most key focus of your paragraph too!

Point 1 there's a lot to talk about. How laws have reformed to allow same-sex couples to use BWS as a partial defence to name one. Link it to whatever you can that's relevant, that's what I've been seeing Jamon tell people :)

Not too sure what to suggest for point 3. I would personally group my essay for Family Law into 3 main categories, Domestic Violence, Same Sex, Children & Divorce but I'm sure you can find something to write about Same-Sex in family law.

Correct me if I am wrong in any place :) I've only just finished Family Law myself so I would see what Jamon has to say as well.

Goodluck my fellow legal student ~ !

This is great! Thank you so much for the awesome feedback!! I'll definitely weave this into the structure I have! All the best for your exams!!

Wales

• Forum Leader
« Reply #935 on: June 06, 2017, 06:12:27 pm »
This is great! Thank you so much for the awesome feedback!! I'll definitely weave this into the structure I have! All the best for your exams!!

Post back if you want the whole essay marked or if you have any more feedback :)

Thanks, you too!

bellerina

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #936 on: June 06, 2017, 06:27:45 pm »
Guys, know any good family law cases? It's for a speech...
The end may justify the means as long as there is something that justifies the end.

Kirri Rule

• Trailblazer
  • School: Northern beaches christain school
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #937 on: June 06, 2017, 08:08:21 pm »
+1
I just did an assessment on domestic violence and i used:
Jean Majdalawi (1996),Teresa Bradford, Rosie Batty, R v Gittany [2013] NSWSC 1503 and R v Mulvihill [2014] NSWSC 443
There is heaps of infomation and media articles on these, if you were talking about domestic violence

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #938 on: June 06, 2017, 08:14:02 pm »

Check out the Family Law notes in our Notes section too! Bound to be a few there ;D

bellerina

• Forum Regular
« Reply #939 on: June 06, 2017, 08:17:35 pm »
Check out the Family Law notes in our Notes section too! Bound to be a few there ;D

oh lol, i didn't even think about that! Thanks Jamon and i know you have a legal essay marking forum.. could i still send my speech on that forum or...

I would love feedback so i can start timing and practising
The end may justify the means as long as there is something that justifies the end.

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #940 on: June 06, 2017, 09:31:14 pm »
oh lol, i didn't even think about that! Thanks Jamon and i know you have a legal essay marking forum.. could i still send my speech on that forum or...

I would love feedback so i can start timing and practising

Definitely can!! Happy to mark speeches as well ;D

Kekemato_BAP

• Forum Regular
  • Keep calm and study more
« Reply #941 on: June 07, 2017, 10:24:38 am »
I am stuck on whether to do Syria or North Korea for my legal assessment. The question asks us to discuss the legal and non-legal measures.
Which issue would be more easy to meet the criteria? The essay is marked out of 25 instead of 15
Hello

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #942 on: June 07, 2017, 11:03:33 am »
I am stuck on whether to do Syria or North Korea for my legal assessment. The question asks us to discuss the legal and non-legal measures.
Which issue would be more easy to meet the criteria? The essay is marked out of 25 instead of 15

I reckon both would work really well for you! What I'd do is spend an hour or two researching each and making dot points of useful info, try and get a feel for which of them will let you answer the question better ;D

Wales

• Forum Leader
« Reply #943 on: June 07, 2017, 11:58:15 pm »

Hard decision. Like Jamon said, research and find which one you're more interested in. I would personally do Syria due to preference and personal interest but you won't get marked down for either. It's all down to how you express your argument :)

marcusgrahamm

• Forum Regular
  • --
« Reply #944 on: June 08, 2017, 02:20:44 pm »
Im doing a world order assessment "assess the effectiveness of the UN in maintaining WO".

Ive chosen to discuss the Syrian & Sudanese Conflicts.

Does anyone have any advice on resolutions that apply and arguments to you (more for Sudan)

Any notes would be great to!

Thanks guys.
Business Studies-89

Legal Studies-93

Modern History-93

Society And Culture-93

Advanced English-93

Ext 1 Eng- 42

ATAR: 96.95