Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 01:16:31 am

Author Topic: HSC Legal Studies Question Thread  (Read 572728 times)  Share 

Diala

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Re: Legal Studies Question Thread
« Reply #945 on: June 08, 2017, 06:59:44 pm »
When citing an article in the exam, do you think it's necessary to state the date of publication specifically? It's such a struggle to remember the day, month and year of every article I'd like to use in an essay under such pressure. Some people make up the day but accurately state the month and the year... is that cool too?  ;D

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #946 on: June 08, 2017, 07:36:01 pm »
Sorry to the people above, don't know a heap about Syria or Sudan!

When citing an article in the exam, do you think it's necessary to state the date of publication specifically? It's such a struggle to remember the day, month and year of every article I'd like to use in an essay under such pressure. Some people make up the day but accurately state the month and the year... is that cool too?  ;D

Just the month and year is definitely okay, it's all I ever did. You'd be okay with just the year even I'd say! ;D

Kekemato_BAP

• Forum Regular
  • Keep calm and study more
« Reply #947 on: June 09, 2017, 09:06:29 am »
When writing about legal/non-legal measures to world order, would you use two different legal with two different non-legal measures?
I've already written one body paragraph on the UN veto power, but don't know if I should change to NATO or do a different ineffectiveness of the UN.
Also, is R2P legal or non-legal. They were a UN thing, but dunno if by law.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 09:10:15 am by Kekemato_BAP »
Hello

maria1999

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #948 on: June 09, 2017, 12:14:13 pm »
guys what are some solid cases that I can use for a question that involves the recognition of same sex couples?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #949 on: June 09, 2017, 02:13:18 pm »
When writing about legal/non-legal measures to world order, would you use two different legal with two different non-legal measures?
I've already written one body paragraph on the UN veto power, but don't know if I should change to NATO or do a different ineffectiveness of the UN.
Also, is R2P legal or non-legal. They were a UN thing, but dunno if by law.

Hey! I would say ideally yes, but non-legal responses are way tougher. If you are structuring that way, you could probably get away with 3 legal 1 non-legal, just make sure the non-legal paragraph is excellent! ;D

I'd classify R2P as Legal as it is associated with the UNSC ;D

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #950 on: June 09, 2017, 02:14:11 pm »
guys what are some solid cases that I can use for a question that involves the recognition of same sex couples?

Hey! Check out my Family Law Summary Sheets, there are a few good ones there! ;D

bellerina

• Forum Regular
« Reply #951 on: June 09, 2017, 06:29:21 pm »
What is a good legal case for domestic violence? I want to talk about the ineffectiveness of ADVO's.. pls help
The end may justify the means as long as there is something that justifies the end.

Wales

• MOTM: JUN 2017
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +91
« Reply #952 on: June 09, 2017, 09:43:47 pm »
+1
What is a good legal case for domestic violence? I want to talk about the ineffectiveness of ADVO's.. pls help

You're making me think back a while but there was Jean Majdalaawi whom was shot outside Parramatta court by her partner while applying for an AVO. Not directly related to ADVO's but something good to mention.

Other cases include:
Case in regard to BWS (Battered Woman Syndrome) - McEwen or R vs Kina
Arthur Freeman though not directly related to DV
Julie Grant - Murdered by ex partner Shannon Mahon while breaching an AVO
Angela Furullo - Murdered by ex partner at her workplace
Kara Doyle - Murdered by boyfriend
Kelly Thompson - Murdered by partner. Occurred 19 days after she applied for an AVO

Some useful acts :)
Bail Amendment 2002 - Presumption against bail for individuals who committed violence and have previously breached an ADVO
Crimes Amendment Act 1982 NSW - Asserted the criminal nature of DV
LEPRA 2002 - Increased police involvement in courts
Family Law Legislation Amendment ( Family Violence and Other Measures Act) 2011 NSW - Broadened the definition of family violence (HUGE amendment)
NSW Family Violence Blueprint - $60 mil package aimed to target perpetrators and support victims
Children and YOung Persons Act 1998 - Requires mandatory report to DOCS if suspected abuse is occurring (teacher see's student with injures etc)
Crimes ( Domestic and personal violence act 2007) - Did something for ADVO's, created a separate act I believe? Someone correct me :P

Great links for Domestic Violence :
http://legalanswers.sl.nsw.gov.au/apprehended-violence-orders/about-avos
http://www.smh.com.au/money/planning/do-you-realise-youre-being-financially-abused-20150812-gixjuc.html - Found that article good for certain quotes. Used it for my assessment on DV and Family Law

Hope this was somewhat helpful and that any students needing help with DV can refer to some cases listed here.

Heavy Things :(

chelseam

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +45
« Reply #953 on: June 09, 2017, 11:45:31 pm »
Crimes ( Domestic and personal violence act 2007) - Did something for ADVO's, created a separate act I believe? Someone correct me :P
Not sure if this is correct but I think it set out legislative framework for AVOs, ADVOs? But I know that it defines domestic violence as ‘an offence committed by a person against another person with whom the person who commits the offence has (or has had) a domestic relationship’ - the changed wording from previous laws broadens the definition of domestic violence to allow same-sex relationships to be included and there's no time limit required :)

HSC 2017: Chemistry / English Advanced / English Extension 1 / Legal Studies (5th in NSW) / Math Extension 1 / Math Extension 2

Wales

• MOTM: JUN 2017
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +91
« Reply #954 on: June 09, 2017, 11:59:56 pm »
+1
Not sure if this is correct but I think it set out legislative framework for AVOs, ADVOs? But I know that it defines domestic violence as ‘an offence committed by a person against another person with whom the person who commits the offence has (or has had) a domestic relationship’ - the changed wording from previous laws broadens the definition of domestic violence to allow same-sex relationships to be included and there's no time limit required :)

It sounds about right :) I din't look too closely into it but it seems like a great amendment to include in law reform essays for DV/Same sex.

Thanks~
Heavy Things :(

maria1999

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #955 on: June 10, 2017, 03:13:03 pm »
Hey! Check out my Family Law Summary Sheets, there are a few good ones there! ;D

Thanks Jamon! I downloaded all your family law notes while I was at it!

Lachlan Morley

• Forum Regular
  • School: St Augustines College
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #956 on: June 11, 2017, 09:52:52 am »
Hi all,

Does anyone have any ideas on how to remember LCMID's, for the HSC exam there will be 3 essays so that means that around 45 LCMIDs will need to be remembered

Thanks

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #957 on: June 11, 2017, 12:44:14 pm »
+1
Hi all,

Does anyone have any ideas on how to remember LCMID's, for the HSC exam there will be 3 essays so that means that around 45 LCMIDs will need to be remembered

Thanks

Just get everything into a really compact form however works best for you! I made summary sheets and lists sort of like these ones (feel free to use them if they help). You could put them into a mindmap/poster if you are a more visual learner. You could even record yourself saying/explaining them if you are an auditory learner. Do what works best for you.

Jake wrote a great guide on how he memorises content :)

kiiaaa

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #958 on: June 11, 2017, 06:56:07 pm »
+1
Hello,

Does anyone by any chance have any notes for themes and challenges for family law that they will be willing to share? I couldnt find any on the notes section  :'(

thank you so much  :) :) :) :) :)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #959 on: June 11, 2017, 11:26:45 pm »
Hello,

Does anyone by any chance have any notes for themes and challenges for family law that they will be willing to share? I couldnt find any on the notes section  :'(

thank you so much  :) :) :) :) :)

Hey! I unfortunately don't have any notes to share here, but just wanted to make sure you know about this guide Elyse wrote on using the themes and challenges. Focused on the core, but could be helpful here ;D