Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 09:51:30 am

Author Topic: HSC Legal Studies Question Thread  (Read 572792 times)  Share 

kiiaaa

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +2
Re: Legal Studies Question Thread
« Reply #1005 on: June 29, 2017, 06:26:41 am »
+1
hey everyone

I was wondering for an essay quesiton on relationship breaksdowns - is it okay to talk about domestic violence or is that not included under relationship breakdowns. I've been slightly confused over this sections

Thank you so much! :) :) :)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #1006 on: June 29, 2017, 11:17:46 am »
+3
hey everyone

I was wondering for an essay quesiton on relationship breaksdowns - is it okay to talk about domestic violence or is that not included under relationship breakdowns. I've been slightly confused over this sections

Thank you so much! :) :) :)

Hey! I always included domestic violence in questions about relationship breakdowns - You just have to include something in the Thesis paragraph saying like, "The law has a responsibility to protect the rights of all parties involved in relationship breakdowns, particularly where those breakdowns involve domestic violence." It is a bit of a stretch admittedly, but DV was my best family law topic so I always tried to write about it where I could ;D

maria1999

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #1007 on: June 29, 2017, 09:04:19 pm »
hey guys!
Right now I'm trying to gather media files and cases for trials and I'm looking through the themes and challenges and the first one for crime is issues of compliance and non-compliance. I was looking through past trial papers and this theme and challenge was the 15 marker. Does this mean I can virtually use any crime case? Or am I not thinking this through enough? Thanks in advance!!

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #1008 on: June 30, 2017, 12:10:35 am »
+2
hey guys!
Right now I'm trying to gather media files and cases for trials and I'm looking through the themes and challenges and the first one for crime is issues of compliance and non-compliance. I was looking through past trial papers and this theme and challenge was the 15 marker. Does this mean I can virtually use any crime case? Or am I not thinking this through enough? Thanks in advance!!

Hey! So compliance/non-compliance is to do with how well the law encourages people to, well, follow the law. It is to do with sentencing/punishments primarily, but really, it is a very wholistic theme. So yeah, you pretty much can use any case!! ;D

Elyse wrote a great guide on the themes and challenges you can read!

chelseam

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +45
« Reply #1009 on: July 01, 2017, 12:49:37 am »
Hi! Does anyone have any recommendations and tips on how to integrate media reports into responses? I feel like I sound a bit awkward whenever I try to fit in a quote as evidence/to support my argument :P. Thank you! :D
HSC 2017: Chemistry / English Advanced / English Extension 1 / Legal Studies (5th in NSW) / Math Extension 1 / Math Extension 2

MisterNeo

• MOTM: MAY 2017
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +454
« Reply #1010 on: July 01, 2017, 01:11:57 am »
+2
Hi! Does anyone have any recommendations and tips on how to integrate media reports into responses? I feel like I sound a bit awkward whenever I try to fit in a quote as evidence/to support my argument :P. Thank you! :D

I would use media reports in the form of quotes to reinforce your argument/judgement of the topic.

For example, this is an extract from my recent essay/exam on world order:

...thus highlighting the failure of the UN at resolving the Syrian conflict due to the issue of veto power and conflicts of interest between the perm-5. The ineffectiveness is evident among most people with one Syrian doctor commenting, "Without action, the UN has given a green light to destroy this city." (SMH 2016). Ultimately, the power of veto possessed by the perm-5 severely hinders and paralyses...

This is how I use it in my essays. The media is really easy to adapt for Crime, Human Rights, and World Order; not sure about the others.
Hope this helps ;)
« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 01:16:16 am by MisterNeo »

chelseam

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +45
« Reply #1011 on: July 01, 2017, 01:21:38 am »
+1
This is how I use it in my essays. The media is really easy to adapt for Crime, Human Rights, and World Order; not sure about the others.
Hope this helps ;)
Thank you so much! This is really helpful (as always!) ;D
HSC 2017: Chemistry / English Advanced / English Extension 1 / Legal Studies (5th in NSW) / Math Extension 1 / Math Extension 2

Wales

• MOTM: JUN 2017
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +91
« Reply #1012 on: July 01, 2017, 09:04:46 pm »
Ey Legal Eagles :D

I'm currently preparing for my trials and am planning to draft up an Shelter essay.

Unfortunately my teacher went on leave and has left us to teach ourselves Shelter so I don't feel extremely confident in writing an essay quite yet.

Are there any exemplar Shelter Essays out there? I've looked in notes but cannot find anything. Would be greatly appreciated!

Regards, Wales
Heavy Things :(

rachelmassar

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Rouse Hill Anglican College
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #1013 on: July 02, 2017, 06:10:37 pm »
Hi all  :)
Just have a few concerns for Family for the the trials and would appreciate any opinions/thoughts anyone has!
The structure of the options confuse me a bit because obviously you are ultimately preparing for an essay - but an the beginning of Family especially there is so much background information, especially in terms of requirements of a legal marriage, alternate family relationships, etc.

Other than providing a basis for more evaluative topics such as relationship breakdowns and contemporary issues such as same sex couples, is it worth knowing a lot of this factual information? I am confused as to how I could integrate information such as an alternate family relationship into an essay they could ask. The only way I could think is to acknowledge the changing definitions of family more generally, and thus arguing the need for reform etc. Does this sound reasonable?

Thank you ;D

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #1014 on: July 02, 2017, 08:08:21 pm »
+2
Hi all  :)
Just have a few concerns for Family for the the trials and would appreciate any opinions/thoughts anyone has!
The structure of the options confuse me a bit because obviously you are ultimately preparing for an essay - but an the beginning of Family especially there is so much background information, especially in terms of requirements of a legal marriage, alternate family relationships, etc.

Other than providing a basis for more evaluative topics such as relationship breakdowns and contemporary issues such as same sex couples, is it worth knowing a lot of this factual information? I am confused as to how I could integrate information such as an alternate family relationship into an essay they could ask. The only way I could think is to acknowledge the changing definitions of family more generally, and thus arguing the need for reform etc. Does this sound reasonable?

Thank you ;D

Hey Rachel! Good job for noticing this - For Family, a lot of that initial information is very much useless. Besides laying groundwork for potential essay topics, you won't need it - You won't be regurgitating those facts/definitions in an essay. You'll be too busy evaluating/analysing ;D the example you've given is exactly the scenario you need it for, to access and understand the essays on the topics that come later :)

If other Options have a similar structure, I'd wager they would be the same!

rachelmassar

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Rouse Hill Anglican College
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #1015 on: July 03, 2017, 04:36:04 pm »
Hey Rachel! Good job for noticing this - For Family, a lot of that initial information is very much useless. Besides laying groundwork for potential essay topics, you won't need it - You won't be regurgitating those facts/definitions in an essay. You'll be too busy evaluating/analysing ;D the example you've given is exactly the scenario you need it for, to access and understand the essays on the topics that come later :)

If other Options have a similar structure, I'd wager they would be the same!

Awesome thank you :)

isaacdelatorre

• HSC Lecturer
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +74
« Reply #1016 on: July 03, 2017, 09:20:26 pm »
+2
Ey Legal Eagles :D

I'm currently preparing for my trials and am planning to draft up an Shelter essay.

Unfortunately my teacher went on leave and has left us to teach ourselves Shelter so I don't feel extremely confident in writing an essay quite yet.

Are there any exemplar Shelter Essays out there? I've looked in notes but cannot find anything. Would be greatly appreciated!

Regards, Wales

Hey mate,

I too did Shelter for my elective and I totally feel your struggle, my teacher set us a hand in assignment when we hadn't even started shelter and just printed the textbook chapter for each of us. It was definitely a struggle and sine it's not a common elective, there are not many resources online for it.

What part of the syllabus is your essay focusing on? Mine was on discrimination, PM me and I can send you my essay since it may take a while if i upload it to the notes section now.

Finding LCM for shelter is a little challenging but totally doable, for example did you catch the recent documentary on SBS Filthy Rich and Homeless which was a social experiment placing 5 super rich Australians in the streets to raise awareness of homelessness. So there are definitely some out there, but importantly, find a direction that you want to take with this essay, what parts of the syllabus you will focus on and the stance you will take for each.

Hope this helps :)
HSC 2016:   ATAR: 99+
Mathematics - 97    Economics - 96     Legal Studies - 95     Advanced English - 91    Business Studies - 95

2017: B Commerce/B Law @ UNSW  

kiiaaa

• Trendsetter
« Reply #1017 on: July 05, 2017, 10:35:05 pm »
Hello, everyone! :D :D :D :D

I was wondering if you could please help me answer the following questions for world order?

- draw a timeline for the development of world order
- comment on the effectiveness of each of these developments

I tried looking in the textbook but there is legit only the league of nations and UN and I couldn't really find anything on the effectiveness of these developments.

Thank you so much and I hope that makes sense :))

MisterNeo

• MOTM: MAY 2017
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +454
« Reply #1018 on: July 06, 2017, 01:22:22 am »
+3
Hello, everyone! :D :D :D :D

I was wondering if you could please help me answer the following questions for world order?

- draw a timeline for the development of world order
- comment on the effectiveness of each of these developments

I tried looking in the textbook but there is legit only the league of nations and UN and I couldn't really find anything on the effectiveness of these developments.

Thank you so much and I hope that makes sense :))

Hi!! :)
There are plenty of historical world order examples you can use:
-Treaty of Westphalia 1648: Series of peace treaties that established state sovereignty and ended European religion wars.
-Hague Conventions 1899/Geneva Conventions: Rules of war.
-Nuremberg Trials 1945-1946: Making those Nazis pay for what they did.
-Rome Statute and the International Criminal Court.
-ICTR, ICTY: Genocide tribunals for Rwanda/Yugoslavia.
-Treaty of Versailles 1919: Ended WW1, brought the League of Nations.

The League of Nations was somewhat effective to bring nations together, but fucked up when WW2 started.
This brought us the UN, which is somewhat effective in interventions like in Kosovo, but is still crap because of its veto power to the perm-5. The veto power has made Syria untouchable because Russia/China always ruin it for everyone because of their conflicts of interest.
The UN , however, did bring us the UDHR, ICCPR, ICESCR, etc, which is good.

Hope this helps ;)

« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 01:26:04 am by MisterNeo »

kiiaaa

• Trendsetter
« Reply #1019 on: July 06, 2017, 10:45:49 am »
+1
Hi!! :)
There are plenty of historical world order examples you can use:
-Treaty of Westphalia 1648: Series of peace treaties that established state sovereignty and ended European religion wars.
-Hague Conventions 1899/Geneva Conventions: Rules of war.
-Nuremberg Trials 1945-1946: Making those Nazis pay for what they did.
-Rome Statute and the International Criminal Court.
-ICTR, ICTY: Genocide tribunals for Rwanda/Yugoslavia.
-Treaty of Versailles 1919: Ended WW1, brought the League of Nations.

The League of Nations was somewhat effective to bring nations together, but fucked up when WW2 started.
This brought us the UN, which is somewhat effective in interventions like in Kosovo, but is still crap because of its veto power to the perm-5. The veto power has made Syria untouchable because Russia/China always ruin it for everyone because of their conflicts of interest.
The UN , however, did bring us the UDHR, ICCPR, ICESCR, etc, which is good.

Hope this helps ;)

omg legend!. Thanks so much. you helped me soo much :))