Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 12:56:03 am

Author Topic: HSC Legal Studies Question Thread  (Read 572726 times)  Share 

claudiarosaliaa

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +50
Re: Legal Studies Question Thread
« Reply #1020 on: July 06, 2017, 09:08:29 pm »
Hey, I have to write an essay on Care and Protection of Children for Family Law for the trial exam and my teacher refuses to give advice or read any practice responses. I was wondering, in your option, what the best 3 topics to discuss are in an Care and Protection essay? Thank you :)

Also (sorry I forgot to ask in my last post), can someone explain how the ICC is a law reform?

Mod edit: Merged double post.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 09:10:24 pm by Aaron »
Year 12 student, Class of 2017. I am currently taking Mathematics Extension 1, Mathematics Extension 2, English Advance, Legal Studies & Drama

MisterNeo

• MOTM: MAY 2017
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +454
« Reply #1021 on: July 06, 2017, 09:34:22 pm »
+2
Hey, I have to write an essay on Care and Protection of Children for Family Law for the trial exam and my teacher refuses to give advice or read any practice responses. I was wondering, in your option, what the best 3 topics to discuss are in an Care and Protection essay? Thank you :)

Also (sorry I forgot to ask in my last post), can someone explain how the ICC is a law reform?

Mod edit: Merged double post.

Hi! I haven't done Family Law, but I can answer your second question.
The International Criminal Court is an example of law reform because it was established to prosecute those who commit crimes against humanity and mass atrocities. History has seen many genocides and war crimes where there was no permanent body to deal with these situations. WW2, Rwandan genocide, the Yugoslav/Bosnian genocide all had ad hoc tribunals: Nuremberg Trials, ICTR, and ICTY respectively.
The ICC was established under the Rome Statute as an international initiative to deter and prosecute those who are going to or have committed these atrocities. It can also hold individuals rather than states accountable, such as the Katanga and Milosevic cases.
Hence, it is regarded as law reform as we do not want future occurrences of what has happened previously.
Hope this helps :)

claudiarosaliaa

• Trailblazer
« Reply #1022 on: July 06, 2017, 09:46:02 pm »
Hi! I haven't done Family Law, but I can answer your second question.
The International Criminal Court is an example of law reform because it was established to prosecute those who commit crimes against humanity and mass atrocities. History has seen many genocides and war crimes where there was no permanent body to deal with these situations. WW2, Rwandan genocide, the Yugoslav/Bosnian genocide all had ad hoc tribunals: Nuremberg Trials, ICTR, and ICTY respectively.
The ICC was established under the Rome Statute as an international initiative to deter and prosecute those who are going to or have committed these atrocities. It can also hold individuals rather than states accountable, such as the Katanga and Milosevic cases.
Hence, it is regarded as law reform as we do not want future occurrences of what has happened previously.
Hope this helps :)

Thank you! That really cleared everything up for me :)
Year 12 student, Class of 2017. I am currently taking Mathematics Extension 1, Mathematics Extension 2, English Advance, Legal Studies & Drama

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #1023 on: July 06, 2017, 11:29:41 pm »
+2

On the first part of your question, it really depends on how you structure! You could structure it around cases, or you could do it around different responses (legislation, judicial response, international response, etc). A few things you should definitely include:

- CROC, if you do an essay on this topic without this treaty you've done something wrong ;)
- Children and Young Person’s (Care and Protection) Act 1998 (NSW), very important law in this topic
- Family Law Amendment (Shared Parental Responsibility) Act 2006 (Cth.), which overlaps with the changing nature of parental responsibility
- The role of Family and Community Services (FACS)

Just a few ideas ;D

Maddiigracee

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #1024 on: July 08, 2017, 02:16:47 pm »
Does anyone have a good bank of legal studies questions? I am specifically looking for HR questions from trials or made up questions, not really HSC questions.
Thank you

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #1025 on: July 08, 2017, 03:30:28 pm »
+1
Does anyone have a good bank of legal studies questions? I am specifically looking for HR questions from trials or made up questions, not really HSC questions.
Thank you

Hey Maddi! There a few Trial papers at this link, it isn't a huge collection but hopefully it helps a little! ;D

rachelmassar

• Adventurer
  • School: Rouse Hill Anglican College
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #1026 on: July 09, 2017, 09:32:51 am »
Hey guys!
Just wondering if you believe abortion is a relevant topic for any family law questions? I was just looking into it and not really sure if it can be categorised under Surrogacy and Birth Technologies.
Thanks  :D

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #1027 on: July 09, 2017, 10:38:16 am »
Hey guys!
Just wondering if you believe abortion is a relevant topic for any family law questions? I was just looking into it and not really sure if it can be categorised under Surrogacy and Birth Technologies.
Thanks  :D

Hey! You could probably work it in to a broader essay on Family Law, but you're right - Not really something they can specifically ask in an essay ;D

Bubbly_bluey

• Trendsetter
  • Just Floating By :)
  • Respect: +10
« Reply #1028 on: July 09, 2017, 05:52:01 pm »
Hi! Just wondering how do you study for legal?? I can't seem to find a lot of trial paper pasts so I don't know how to practice.

claudiarosaliaa

• Trailblazer
« Reply #1029 on: July 09, 2017, 07:18:39 pm »
On the first part of your question, it really depends on how you structure! You could structure it around cases, or you could do it around different responses (legislation, judicial response, international response, etc). A few things you should definitely include:

- CROC, if you do an essay on this topic without this treaty you've done something wrong ;)
- Children and Young Person’s (Care and Protection) Act 1998 (NSW), very important law in this topic
- Family Law Amendment (Shared Parental Responsibility) Act 2006 (Cth.), which overlaps with the changing nature of parental responsibility
- The role of Family and Community Services (FACS)

Just a few ideas ;D

Thanks Jamon,

I've decided to discuss the role of FaCS, the FLA in relation to protecting children from Family Violence and Children in Immigration Detention. Obviously, the overlying idea in all the paragraphs is as to whether the Commonwealth and State governments have obliged or breached 'best interests of the child' responsibilities under CROC. Does that sound like a well-rounded group of ideas to discuss?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #1030 on: July 09, 2017, 09:44:08 pm »
+1
Hi! Just wondering how do you study for legal?? I can't seem to find a lot of trial paper pasts so I don't know how to practice.

You name it, we've got a guide on it ;)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #1031 on: July 09, 2017, 09:45:07 pm »
+1

Thanks Jamon,

I've decided to discuss the role of FaCS, the FLA in relation to protecting children from Family Violence and Children in Immigration Detention. Obviously, the overlying idea in all the paragraphs is as to whether the Commonwealth and State governments have obliged or breached 'best interests of the child' responsibilities under CROC. Does that sound like a well-rounded group of ideas to discuss?

I think that sounds like a great set! Lets you cover a variety of aspects of the law - Good picks ;D

sweetxpple

• Adventurer
« Reply #1032 on: July 10, 2017, 01:51:03 pm »
Hi !

For Human Rights, for Australian responses (such as statue law), could i write about the recent crackdown on child sex tourism by introducing statue law (amendment ) that will have Australian paedophiles' passports cancelled and right to travel revoked. I'm not sure about it because its related to CROC article 34 & childrens right, but it doesnt really relate to human rights WITHIN Australia?

thanks!!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 02:00:04 pm by sweetxpple »

Maddiigracee

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #1033 on: July 10, 2017, 09:41:29 pm »
+1
Thanks Jamon! Its definitely enough for now.

I find getting questions from teachers or looking at my study notes and trying to come up with possible questions they could ask (either for singular dot points or combined dot points) really helpful.

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #1034 on: July 10, 2017, 10:17:39 pm »
Hi !

For Human Rights, for Australian responses (such as statue law), could i write about the recent crackdown on child sex tourism by introducing statue law (amendment ) that will have Australian paedophiles' passports cancelled and right to travel revoked. I'm not sure about it because its related to CROC article 34 & childrens right, but it doesnt really relate to human rights WITHIN Australia?

thanks!!

I think this works! As long as you draw a clear link between child sex offences and breaches of human rights (you'd easily be able to link to stuff in the ICCPR), then that is a nice inclusion ;D