Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 03:58:14 am

Author Topic: HSC Legal Studies Question Thread  (Read 572744 times)  Share 

kiiaaa

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +2
Re: Legal Studies Question Thread
« Reply #1035 on: July 11, 2017, 08:44:30 pm »
Hey guys

So basically for the last weeks of family law, my teacher was hella sick and we couldn't go through the contemporary issues for family law. :(
I was wondering if anyone had any good notes or other ways/info etc i can learn the 4 issues, please? I have summarized my textbook but like i haven't like been able to like analyze stuff etc without teacher support you get me?

thanks so many guys. I've been pulling my hair out trying to learn these issues as i struggle to absorb them

your help is much appreciated :) :) :) :) :) :)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #1036 on: July 12, 2017, 12:49:03 am »
Hey guys

So basically for the last weeks of family law, my teacher was hella sick and we couldn't go through the contemporary issues for family law. :(
I was wondering if anyone had any good notes or other ways/info etc i can learn the 4 issues, please? I have summarized my textbook but like i haven't like been able to like analyze stuff etc without teacher support you get me?

thanks so many guys. I've been pulling my hair out trying to learn these issues as i struggle to absorb them

your help is much appreciated :) :) :) :) :) :)

Hey! Since all you need to be able to do for those issues is write an essay on them, you are best to approach it in an evidence focused way. Examine key bits of legislation and cases using a good set of notes, and go from there. My summary sheets might help ;D

kiiaaa

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #1037 on: July 12, 2017, 06:24:09 pm »
+1
Hey! Since all you need to be able to do for those issues is write an essay on them, you are best to approach it in an evidence focused way. Examine key bits of legislation and cases using a good set of notes, and go from there. My summary sheets might help ;D

Thanks sooo much Jamon! :) your sheets are actually really good
Thanks once again :D

JD99

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #1038 on: July 13, 2017, 12:58:25 pm »
Would somebody be able to give me some direction on how to answer a question on issues of compliance and non-compliance in relation to human rights??
I'm a bit lost as to where to start...  :-\

Thanks!!  :) :)

claudiarosaliaa

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +50
« Reply #1039 on: July 13, 2017, 08:12:49 pm »
Anyone have any other great words for "effectiveness"? I feel like I'm constantly repeating myself :( Thank you! 
Year 12 student, Class of 2017. I am currently taking Mathematics Extension 1, Mathematics Extension 2, English Advance, Legal Studies & Drama

clareyeung5

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #1040 on: July 13, 2017, 09:31:36 pm »
Hi Elyse!

Your lecture was so helpful today!! Our trial notification (i think our school makes our trials) says this:

Family Law - choice of oNE essay from TWO
- Compliance/ Non Compliance (ADVOS, FDR, Parental orders, child support, property distribution after separation, care protection of children)
-Care and protection of children (FACS/ Wood inquiry, Children's court, open adoption, family violence etc etc
-Changing values (divorce, parental responsibility etc etc)

Isnt that just the entire syllabus and would need to study everything ? Or would there be an easier way preparing for this?

MisterNeo

• MOTM: MAY 2017
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +454
« Reply #1041 on: July 13, 2017, 09:52:41 pm »
+3
Would somebody be able to give me some direction on how to answer a question on issues of compliance and non-compliance in relation to human rights??

Hi! So questions like these typically focus on the global instruments for promoting human rights, the bodies that are designed to punish/resolve breaches in these rights, and things that impede on human rights.
Things you can talk about include: UN/EU/NATO, International Bill of Rights (UDHR, ICCPR, ICESCR), NGOs, state sovereignty, mutual government respect for human rights, and Australia's efforts in promoting and enforcing human rights - our constitution, etc.
There are many things you can write about, and I would definitely talk about state sovereignty being a major non-compliance issue.

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #1042 on: July 14, 2017, 10:27:56 am »
+1

I'm just going to add to the wonderful answer given directly above me here! Thanks MisterNero :)

So, a concept to really remember here is that one of the most difficult tensions when dealing with human rights is between encouraging and maintaining compliance, but also about how and why nation states are allowed to non-comply. So, we look at the ways compliance between nation states, as well as by the people in them, is encouraged when dealing with human rights, and then what instruments are out there to address non-compliance?
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #1043 on: July 14, 2017, 11:05:21 am »
+1
Hi Elyse!

Your lecture was so helpful today!! Our trial notification (i think our school makes our trials) says this:

- Compliance/ Non Compliance (ADVOS, FDR, Parental orders, child support, property distribution after separation, care protection of children)
-Care and protection of children (FACS/ Wood inquiry, Children's court, open adoption, family violence etc etc

Isnt that just the entire syllabus and would need to study everything ? Or would there be an easier way preparing for this?

Hey Clare! Welcome to the forums! So glad you enjoyed Elyse's lecture ;D

She might add, but that definitely seems like most of the syllabus to me - You should be broadly prepared! The only thing you would need less detail on is the very first part of Family, the specifics on adoption and stuff like that. That isn't stuff you'll use in an essay ;D

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #1044 on: July 14, 2017, 03:12:10 pm »
Hi Elyse!

Hey Clare - Jamon's right. It pretty much is the entire syllabus, so this is excellent practice for the HSC! Maybe if you feel like you want to be smart about your study and identify your weaknesses - look at past questions. Admit which ones panic you and which ones still look achievable, and then the ones you think you'd ace. Make a bank of these and try dotpointing underneath the scarier essay questions. Try test yourself closed book first, and then refer to your notes to add more. This is one of the ways I studied because it just seemed more active than working through the syllabus!
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

caitlinlddouglas

• Trendsetter
« Reply #1045 on: July 14, 2017, 06:41:07 pm »
Hi i was wondering what distinguished battery from assault? Thanks! :)

caitlinlddouglas

• Trendsetter
« Reply #1046 on: July 14, 2017, 08:25:56 pm »
thanks heaps!

caitlinlddouglas

• Trendsetter
« Reply #1047 on: July 14, 2017, 09:19:22 pm »
Hi i was just wondering where appeals from the children's court would go to? And also from the drug court. Also, is there any path of appeal from the coroner's court? Thanks :)

rodero

• Forum Obsessive
  • Professional quote and statistic generator
  • Respect: +81
« Reply #1048 on: July 14, 2017, 09:57:16 pm »
+2
Hi i was just wondering where appeals from the children's court would go to? And also from the drug court. Also, is there any path of appeal from the coroner's court? Thanks :)

Hey!
I'm still a bit hazy on the children's court question so I'll leave that for someone else. However, my hunch would be the Court of Criminal Appeal (don't count me on this). In regards to the coroner's court, you need to remember that they don't actually have the power to find someone guilty and pass a punishment. Instead they construct a report outlining the cause and nature of death, which will then be used as evidence in another court. So to answer your question, there is no path of appeal, because they don't pass sentences! This means that there is nothing to appeal!

Hope this helps! I'm sure someone else can answer your first question

EDIT: I completely missed your drug court question! My textbook doesn't seem to cover this court, so I'd presume that it may not be as relevant to the course. However, I understand that this knowledge may help amp up a response, so again, i'll have to leave that for another person to answer, sorry about that  :D
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 10:07:39 pm by rodero »
HSC 2017:
English (Advanced): 91    Legal Studies: 92    Modern History: 91    Studies of Religion 2: 90    Business Studies: 92

ATAR: 96.75

Need tutoring? Click here!

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
« Reply #1049 on: July 14, 2017, 10:43:36 pm »
+1
hi legal people, i'm low key high key freaking out about some of the themes in the crime syllabus... in the crime essay, what would i write for 'issues of compliance and non-compliance in regard to criminal law' and 'the extent to which law reflects moral and ethical standards'? i'm doing cssa trials and they tend to pick syllabus points you can't write much about or themes. thanks so much!
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW