Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 08:11:33 pm

Author Topic: HSC Legal Studies Question Thread  (Read 572849 times)  Share 

lucyjayne

• Trailblazer
  • Sad backwards is das und das ist nicht gut
  • Respect: +4
Re: Legal Studies Question Thread
« Reply #1065 on: July 17, 2017, 05:44:49 pm »
Hello,

I was studying the abolition of slavery in the human rights topic and I am confused about the difference between the Emancipation Act 1833 and the Slavery Abolition Act 1833. Are they the same thing?
HSC 2017: Legal Studies, English (Standard), Modern History, Ancient History, Studies of Religion II, German Continuers.

rodero

• Forum Obsessive
  • Professional quote and statistic generator
  • Respect: +81
« Reply #1066 on: July 17, 2017, 05:50:55 pm »
+4

Hello,

I was studying the abolition of slavery in the human rights topic and I am confused about the difference between the Emancipation Act 1833 and the Slavery Abolition Act 1833. Are they the same thing?

Hey !

Quick search tells me that they are the same thing. If I'm correct, you're talking about the Slavery Abolition Act 1833 (UK). I personally haven't heard of the Emancipation Act
HSC 2017:
English (Advanced): 91    Legal Studies: 92    Modern History: 91    Studies of Religion 2: 90    Business Studies: 92

ATAR: 96.75

Need tutoring? Click here!

lucyjayne

• Trailblazer
« Reply #1067 on: July 17, 2017, 05:57:52 pm »
Hey !

Quick search tells me that they are the same thing. If I'm correct, you're talking about the Slavery Abolition Act 1833 (UK). I personally haven't heard of the Emancipation Act

Thank You! My textbook was saying Emancipation Act 1833 and other sources were saying Slavery Abolition Act 1833, so must be the same.
HSC 2017: Legal Studies, English (Standard), Modern History, Ancient History, Studies of Religion II, German Continuers.

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #1068 on: July 17, 2017, 07:06:15 pm »
+1
Hey guys!

Super confused with this trial past paper. Unfortunately, I don't have the answer sheet so I can't confirm which would be the correct answer. However, i'm stuck on this specific question. It seems as though the son is both an accessory before and after the fact. Does this bring him to the level of a principle in the second degree? I always thought the principle in the second degree had to be present in some way.

Question is attached, thanks everyone :)

Hey rodero! I believe this person is a principal in the second degree. It doesn't specify if the son was present at the time, but we assume he is based on his involvement before and after the crime - so the most correct option, simply because there's no option for him to be an accessory before AND after the fact, means he is in the second degree. :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

rodero

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #1069 on: July 17, 2017, 07:29:39 pm »
+1
Hey rodero! I believe this person is a principal in the second degree. It doesn't specify if the son was present at the time, but we assume he is based on his involvement before and after the crime - so the most correct option, simply because there's no option for him to be an accessory before AND after the fact, means he is in the second degree. :)

That's very true, thanks Elyse! Definitely noticing a trend where trial papers are more complicated than the HSC, especially in multiple choice
HSC 2017:
English (Advanced): 91    Legal Studies: 92    Modern History: 91    Studies of Religion 2: 90    Business Studies: 92

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #1070 on: July 17, 2017, 07:31:00 pm »
+1
That's very true, thanks Elyse! Definitely noticing a trend where trial papers are more complicated than the HSC, especially in multiple choice

You're definitely not wrong - I found the same thing too. Exposure to as many past paper MC as possible will help you become faster and more accurate in your responses. So good luck! :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

lucyjayne

• Trailblazer
« Reply #1071 on: July 17, 2017, 09:02:29 pm »
+1
Hey,

I was just wondering if we need to know more than one recognition of human rights for the HSC? or is it enough to just focus on one?

Thanks

isaacdelatorre

• HSC Lecturer
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +74
« Reply #1072 on: July 17, 2017, 09:18:01 pm »
+4
Hey,

I was just wondering if we need to know more than one recognition of human rights for the HSC? or is it enough to just focus on one?

Thanks

Hey Lucy,

You should definitely be looking at all of the dotpoints for recognition of human rights. This is mainly because any of these could be asked as a short answer question. E.g. the 2015 HSC exam had a 5 marker "Outline the role of law reform in the abolition of slavery" - this targetted one specific dot point. Also a common thing is to have at least one of those as a multiple choice question (my teacher told me peace rights is often used in MC as most people see it last and don't bother studying it - just a theory). That dot point, whilst it seemed super insignificant to me at the beginning had soooo much legislation attached to it in terms of developing recognition and enshrining it within legal systems across the world.

If you need some help finding legislation of this nature, definitely check out Elyse's notes as well as any in the free notes section!!

Hope this helps :)
HSC 2016:   ATAR: 99+
Mathematics - 97    Economics - 96     Legal Studies - 95     Advanced English - 91    Business Studies - 95

2017: B Commerce/B Law @ UNSW  

claudiarosaliaa

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +50
« Reply #1073 on: July 19, 2017, 04:23:27 pm »
How many words is required for a band 6 15 mark crime response?
Year 12 student, Class of 2017. I am currently taking Mathematics Extension 1, Mathematics Extension 2, English Advance, Legal Studies & Drama

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
« Reply #1074 on: July 19, 2017, 04:44:51 pm »

hi! my teacher says around 2-3 pages handwritten, depends on the size of your writing :-)
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

MisterNeo

• MOTM: MAY 2017
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +454
« Reply #1075 on: July 19, 2017, 04:49:12 pm »

You should be aiming around 1000-1200 words for an decent crime essay (4-6 pages). It all depends what you can actually write in the exam room within the time constraint.
I wouldn't go for too long in case you miscalculated your time and ended up not finishing cohesively, or not finishing other sections. Try to add more case-law-media into each paragraph so you keep it succinct. This will defs earn you Band 6. :)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #1076 on: July 19, 2017, 05:26:50 pm »
+2

To throw my perspective in, my opinion differs ever so slightly from MisterNeo's (neither perspective less valuable of course), I think you can go a bit lower for the Crime response. About 800 words would be my magic limit for where essays start to have the depth needed to get full marks. However, you might personally need more words to crack the 15/15. It totally depends on how succinct your writing style is and how much evidence you include :)

Oh, and remember quality over quantity of course! ;D

rodero

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #1077 on: July 19, 2017, 07:43:58 pm »
+2
Hey guys !

The Legal Studies ATARNotes book says there's a difference between 'summary only' and 'summary offences'. I get that summary offences are less serious, but what exactly does 'summary only' mean? To put the term into context, the Land and Environment Court does not use a jury, so is 'summary only' (... wait, don't tell me that's exactly what it means :/ )
HSC 2017:

lucyjayne

• Trailblazer
« Reply #1078 on: July 19, 2017, 08:33:22 pm »
+3
Hey guys !

The Legal Studies ATARNotes book says there's a difference between 'summary only' and 'summary offences'. I get that summary offences are less serious, but what exactly does 'summary only' mean? To put the term into context, the Land and Environment Court does not use a jury, so is 'summary only' (... wait, don't tell me that's exactly what it means :/ )

Hey,

This is my understanding. Summary offences are the most minor criminal offences. When a case is tried summarily this means that they are tried by judge alone and without a Jury. But this does not necessarily mean that the offence is a summary offence, for example, the local court can hear minor indictable offences summarily should the accused not wish the trial to go before a jury. So the Land and Environment Court is summary only because like you said, it does not use a jury.

I could be completely wrong but hope this helps.

rodero

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #1079 on: July 19, 2017, 08:59:06 pm »
+2
Hey,

This is my understanding. Summary offences are the most minor criminal offences. When a case is tried summarily this means that they are tried by judge alone and without a Jury. But this does not necessarily mean that the offence is a summary offence, for example, the local court can hear minor indictable offences summarily should the accused not wish the trial to go before a jury. So the Land and Environment Court is summary only because like you said, it does not use a jury.

I could be completely wrong but hope this helps.

This seems to connect the dots for me, thank you so much ! :D
HSC 2017: