Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 08:06:41 am

Author Topic: HSC Legal Studies Question Thread  (Read 572777 times)  Share 

claudiarosaliaa

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +50
Re: Legal Studies Question Thread
« Reply #1080 on: July 19, 2017, 10:24:00 pm »
To throw my perspective in, my opinion differs ever so slightly from MisterNeo's (neither perspective less valuable of course), I think you can go a bit lower for the Crime response. About 800 words would be my magic limit for where essays start to have the depth needed to get full marks. However, you might personally need more words to crack the 15/15. It totally depends on how succinct your writing style is and how much evidence you include :)

Oh, and remember quality over quantity of course! ;D

Thank you Jamon, MisterNeo and Fantasticbeasts3. I'm struggling to go into the depth I need to effectively answer the question without going over 900 words. Any tips on how to make my writing more succinct?
Year 12 student, Class of 2017. I am currently taking Mathematics Extension 1, Mathematics Extension 2, English Advance, Legal Studies & Drama

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #1081 on: July 19, 2017, 10:32:24 pm »
Thank you Jamon, MisterNeo and Fantasticbeasts3. I'm struggling to go into the depth I need to effectively answer the question without going over 900 words. Any tips on how to make my writing more succinct?

Going over 900 words is okay!! Can you get it done in a reasonable amount of time? ;D

Being more succinct is a tough thing, because it can be improved with expression or even changing what you include in your writing. Many different things you can do. Focus on eliminating unnecessary detail, honing in on the question, and perhaps even improving handwriting speed :)

Bubbly_bluey

• Trendsetter
  • Just Floating By :)
  • Respect: +10
« Reply #1082 on: July 20, 2017, 12:14:50 am »
I got 5 and 6 wrong and I dont know why
Answers
Spoiler
5) A 6) A
Thanks ;D
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 12:18:54 am by Bubbly_bluey »

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #1083 on: July 20, 2017, 11:02:22 am »
+1
I got 5 and 6 wrong and I dont know why
Answers
Spoiler
5) A 6) A
Thanks ;D

Those answers make no sense to me either - Perhaps an error? :)

Bubbly_bluey

• Trendsetter
« Reply #1084 on: July 20, 2017, 04:33:22 pm »
Those answers make no sense to me either - Perhaps an error? :)
Would it be 5) C and 6) D?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #1085 on: July 20, 2017, 04:39:05 pm »
Would it be 5) C and 6) D?

Those would be my answers ;D

kiiaaa

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #1086 on: July 20, 2017, 04:39:38 pm »
Hey guys
 I was wondering what is the difference between the League of Nations and UN. like I get that LON was post WW2 and UN was after but what was different in the two that made the LON unsuccesssful. Do you get what I'm tryna say? like what was the difference in how they both were operated

thank you so much! :))

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #1087 on: July 20, 2017, 05:20:47 pm »
+2
Hey guys
 I was wondering what is the difference between the League of Nations and UN. like I get that LON was post WW2 and UN was after but what was different in the two that made the LON unsuccesssful. Do you get what I'm tryna say? like what was the difference in how they both were operated

thank you so much! :))
Hey! So you're right - the League of Nations came about after WW1. In essence, it was decided upon at the Treaty of Versailles and was rushed, and not everyone was an enthusiastic member of the LON. Not every nation on Earth was in the LON - it was only the victors of WW1, and then they allowed other nations into the LON as well. The League of Nations was more a punishment to Germany than the peace-keeping tool that it was allegedly. The US didn't join the League of Nations. And there were a bunch of countries that were never invited to join, so it became quite exclusive instead of inclusive. The League of Nations also just in general was quite incompetent in the way it dealt with international issues - like the German annexation of Czech.

So, some big differences:
The UN is not simply made of the WW2 victors (although that is how the Security Council is comprised). All democratic, sovereign, nations can join the UN. There's only three countries - The Vatican, Kosovo, and Taiwan - that aren't in the UN. The UN Charter also outlines the difference ways the UN can encourage or enforce peace, so they have more of a procedure for dealing with situations like the Germany annexing Czech thing lol. SO the UN was far more inclusive than the LON, and it had documents that were drafted over time as opposed to rush through under pressure at Versailles. :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

Bubbly_bluey

• Trendsetter
« Reply #1088 on: July 21, 2017, 07:34:00 pm »
Hi! If there was a question in the exam that says to write the issues of compliance and non compliance in regarding to criminal law, what would I even write? As in, which section like the nature of crime, investigation process, criminal trial process, sentencing and punishment, young offenders should I focus on and build my argument from there?

Also for the option topics that are worth 25 marks each, how many pages should I be aiming for (I know there's this thing about quality over quantity). Just need some sort of reference when I'm in the exam.

Thanks ;D
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 07:49:21 pm by Bubbly_bluey »

Lumenoria

• MOTM: JUN 18
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +85
Legal Studies Question Thread
« Reply #1089 on: July 21, 2017, 09:26:16 pm »
Okay, so I have an in class essay on Tuesday and I have no idea what the question will be. However, I reckon it will be centralised around a specific case (that we've placed emphasis on in class). I'm currently in the process of drafting a prepared response should this be the case. But I was just wondering, do I explicitly outline the details of the case in the intro, or do I do that in the body? The question will probably revolve around the effectiveness of legal and non legal methods in relation to resolving disputes, if that provides some clarity.
HSC 2018 (ATAR 96.35) - English Advanced (96) | Mathematics General (87) | Legal Studies (94) | Economics (89) | Industrial Technology (94)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #1090 on: July 22, 2017, 12:00:51 am »
Okay, so I have an in class essay on Tuesday and I have no idea what the question will be. However, I reckon it will be centralised around a specific case (that we've placed emphasis on in class). I'm currently in the process of drafting a prepared response should this be the case. But I was just wondering, do I explicitly outline the details of the case in the intro, or do I do that in the body? The question will probably revolve around the effectiveness of legal and non legal methods in relation to resolving disputes, if that provides some clarity.

Hey! I've never dealt with a question on one specific case, so take my advice for what it is worth. But normally, you wouldn't go into specific case details. Normally that is a no-no in legal essays. For your response though, it might be necessary, so I'd perhaps do a short body paragraph on it after the introduction? :)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #1091 on: July 22, 2017, 12:03:47 am »
+1
Hi! If there was a question in the exam that says to write the issues of compliance and non compliance in regarding to criminal law, what would I even write? As in, which section like the nature of crime, investigation process, criminal trial process, sentencing and punishment, young offenders should I focus on and build my argument from there?

You are looking a lot at sentencing here - How well do the punishments we apply encourage people to comply with the law? Or do they encourage non-compliance, are they too lenient? You could bring in other things but this would be a focus :)

This guide might help! :)

Also for the option topics that are worth 25 marks each, how many pages should I be aiming for (I know there's this thing about quality over quantity). Just need some sort of reference when I'm in the exam.

Quality over qua...

Never mind ;) for reference, my Family Law essay was about 7.5 booklet pages, my World Order essay about 6.5 booklet pages, in the HSC (from memory!) My handwriting is maybe upper average in size ;D

maria1999

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #1092 on: July 22, 2017, 01:29:01 pm »
hey everyone!
I'm working my way through a past paper and one of the family law question is "How effective is the law in achieving justice for parties involved in relationship breakdowns?
Is there like a certain structure of how I should set out my paragraphs because I'm really consfused as to what to talk about. I know I should mention divorce but should I mention other things like domestic violence?
Thanks in advance1

Lachlan Morley

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
  • School: St Augustines College
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #1093 on: July 22, 2017, 06:05:27 pm »
anyone have any smart ways to memorise Lcmid's

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
« Reply #1094 on: July 22, 2017, 07:36:35 pm »
anyone have any smart ways to memorise Lcmid's

nope, i wish i did. i use mnemonics and puns but they're not overly creative ways of memorising lcms, unfortunately.
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW