Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 08:09:44 am

Author Topic: HSC Legal Studies Question Thread  (Read 572778 times)  Share 

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
Re: Legal Studies Question Thread
« Reply #1110 on: July 24, 2017, 04:48:43 pm »
+3
Casually freaking out.... trials are next week, and I have no idea how I'm going to remember all my legal content.... help... please...

Thank you, Mary

I suggest that as daunting as it can be - you need to identify your weaknesses and approach it like that! Once you know which areas of the syllabus you just don't know then you can focus on them, rather than wasting time patting your back for knowing the things you have memorised really well!

Consider going through past MC - these are quick and fast to do and will be a great warm up for study, but also great study in itself!
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

maria1999

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #1111 on: July 24, 2017, 07:09:50 pm »
hey guys!
I'm really struggling right now to find good cases about divorce and seperation, I don't know if it's because the family court is really private? I don't know their really hard to find. Could anyone please point me in the right direction as to where I could find some, or even a few good ones off the bat? Thank you!

Mary_a

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +10
« Reply #1112 on: July 24, 2017, 08:54:19 pm »
totally random but i love your photo! didn't like cursed child very much though.

anyway, back to legal, i'm mostly memorising my examples (your LCMs) for all topics so there's not as much to remember. don't worry, most people, or even everyone's freaking out, i'm totally freaking out as well because i have the absolute worst trials timetable but really, just take it one day at a time :)

Thank you! :)
Hey!
I did the HSC last year (2017) and my 10 units were English Advanced, English Extension 1, English Extension 2, Legal Studies, Maths and Studies of Religion 2. I achieved my ATAR aim of over 90!

I loved tutoring and running essay writing workshops (privately and at InFlow Education) so much that I decided to study a Bachelor of Secondary Education, majoring in English and minoring in Maths!

If you're thinking about tutoring, let me know x

Mary_a

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +10
« Reply #1113 on: July 24, 2017, 08:55:01 pm »
I suggest that as daunting as it can be - you need to identify your weaknesses and approach it like that! Once you know which areas of the syllabus you just don't know then you can focus on them, rather than wasting time patting your back for knowing the things you have memorised really well!

Consider going through past MC - these are quick and fast to do and will be a great warm up for study, but also great study in itself!

Thanks Elyse! I'll definitely take this approach!

Mary x
Hey!
I did the HSC last year (2017) and my 10 units were English Advanced, English Extension 1, English Extension 2, Legal Studies, Maths and Studies of Religion 2. I achieved my ATAR aim of over 90!

I loved tutoring and running essay writing workshops (privately and at InFlow Education) so much that I decided to study a Bachelor of Secondary Education, majoring in English and minoring in Maths!

If you're thinking about tutoring, let me know x

rachelmassar

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Rouse Hill Anglican College
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #1114 on: July 25, 2017, 10:16:56 am »
Hey guys!

I was just wondering for family law - what kind of topics/questions would it be appropriate to talk about the autonomy of children?
Also, how would you advise structuring an essay on a general family law question for 'relationship breakdowns' (there's too much content!!)

Mounica

• Trailblazer
« Reply #1115 on: July 25, 2017, 05:20:00 pm »
Hey, guys
can u pls tell me on how i would set out or answer this essay question:
"To what extent does the law relating to indigenous peoples reflect changing
values and ethical standards?"

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
« Reply #1116 on: July 25, 2017, 06:21:27 pm »
Hey, guys
can u pls tell me on how i would set out or answer this essay question:
"To what extent does the law relating to indigenous peoples reflect changing values and ethical standards?"

oh my gosh i just got so excited because finally someone else is doing indigenous!!!! i swear it is so hard to find people who do this topic but ANYWAY how to answer your question coming right up. you can relate this to the contemporary issues, because they're representative of the changing values and ethical standards, then you can tie in your case studies of various indigenous peoples around the world, e.g. maori people who have their language spoken across nz (i think there's a tribunal/treaty or some law about this but i've totally forgotten what it is). also, the most important thing is international law so talk about the non-existent treaties (;)) for indigenous peoples and how it's not totally effective as it must be incorporated into domestic law to actually be effective, and you can say the countries who haven't done so probably have a system in their country which reflects their changing values and ethical standards.

as for structure, i'm not the best person to advise on this but i'd separate mine into contemporary issues (it doesn't tell you that you can't use them!) so like pick 2 and have 2 body paragraphs each, i think that'd work. structure is not a huge deal (personally) because the person who's coming first in my year literally has 1 sentence paragraphs here and there (if you can even call it that) so don't worry too much, it's all about the examples you provide that are relevant to the question and if you can show their effectiveness which usually can be quite limited.

i hope that makes sense because my thoughts are quite all over the place - feel free to ask if you need any more help!
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 06:26:18 pm by fantasticbeasts3 »
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

mattmuzz

• Adventurer
« Reply #1117 on: July 25, 2017, 07:05:06 pm »
hey all
this is my first time on these forums i find them incredibly helpful i just wanted to ask what is the best way to study for the long response crime essay question since it could be out of any of the dot points

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #1118 on: July 25, 2017, 07:31:57 pm »
hey all
this is my first time on these forums i find them incredibly helpful i just wanted to ask what is the best way to study for the long response crime essay question since it could be out of any of the dot points

hi, welcome to the forums (while incredibly helpful, they can be a huge source of procrastination)! i study for the crime question by memorising as many LCMs as i can, because that's what backs up the response and gives it credibility. the multiple choice is good for general crime revision as it covers most parts of the crime syllabus, but other than that, i haven't found another way to study for the response.
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies

mattmuzz

• Adventurer
« Reply #1119 on: July 25, 2017, 08:19:34 pm »
hi, welcome to the forums (while incredibly helpful, they can be a huge source of procrastination)! i study for the crime question by memorising as many LCMs as i can, because that's what backs up the response and gives it credibility. the multiple choice is good for general crime revision as it covers most parts of the crime syllabus, but other than that, i haven't found another way to study for the response.
thankyouuu :) and yess remembering LCM for each dot point is important. but what my teacher asked us to do was write an essay on each of the crime dot points in order we can apply the content to the syllabus. what i like to do is to make a summary sheet with the LCM which i very helpful

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1151
« Reply #1120 on: July 25, 2017, 09:36:46 pm »
Hey Guys,
For trials my teacher is really stressing the we know all of the themes and challenges for consumer law. Would someone be able to give me a list of these, and any cases/media/etc. that would be helpful to know (I have some, but if you guys have others it would be great :) )
Thanks so much :D
Class of 2017 (Year 12): Advanced English, General Maths, Legal Studies, Music 1, Ancient History, History Extension, Hospitality
2018-2022: B Music/B Education (Secondary) [UNSW]

chelseam

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +45
« Reply #1121 on: July 25, 2017, 10:48:08 pm »
Hi! Could someone please explain why discretion is important in achieving justice in the criminal justice system? I'm having trouble understanding how it helps to achieve just outcomes? Thank you so much :D

Can anyone also explain why the answer here is C? Thank you :)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 10:57:35 pm by chelseam »
HSC 2017: Chemistry / English Advanced / English Extension 1 / Legal Studies (5th in NSW) / Math Extension 1 / Math Extension 2

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #1122 on: July 25, 2017, 11:27:21 pm »
+1
Hi! Could someone please explain why discretion is important in achieving justice in the criminal justice system? I'm having trouble understanding how it helps to achieve just outcomes? Thank you so much :D

Can anyone also explain why the answer here is C? Thank you :)

helloooo

discretion is used by the police/judge/magistrate through decision making. it's important because it's the person's own judgement in ensuring that decisions are fair, and what not. for example, if you were a first time offender for speeding, you might not be fined on the spot and instead, you might get a caution or have the fine dismissed altogether. that's an example of a just outcome because there isn't any abuse of power in the situation. i hope that makes sense :)

as for your other question, i think it's c because the coroner's court is only concerned with finding out the manner in which someone died, and other factors that may have led to the death, so it's more an inquisitorial court that helps out other courts in criminal trials, where evidence from the coroner's court will be used.

hope this helps!

chelseam

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +45
« Reply #1123 on: July 25, 2017, 11:29:09 pm »
HSC 2017: Chemistry / English Advanced / English Extension 1 / Legal Studies (5th in NSW) / Math Extension 1 / Math Extension 2

JD99

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #1124 on: July 26, 2017, 09:30:14 am »
Not sure if this has already been asked...but do we have to know which sections of Acts are relevant? and how much detail should we know about each Case/Legislation etc.?

Thanks!!  :D :D