Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 11:52:35 am

Author Topic: HSC Legal Studies Question Thread  (Read 572804 times)  Share 

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
Re: Legal Studies Question Thread
« Reply #1125 on: July 26, 2017, 11:36:39 am »
+1
Not sure if this has already been asked...but do we have to know which sections of Acts are relevant? and how much detail should we know about each Case/Legislation etc.?

Thanks!!  :D :D

you don't need to know the sections, unless you want to remember them for extra detail. for your LCMs just mention them as relevant and provide enough information to support the point you're making. :)
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #1126 on: July 26, 2017, 03:24:31 pm »
+1
Hey Guys,
For trials my teacher is really stressing the we know all of the themes and challenges for consumer law. Would someone be able to give me a list of these, and any cases/media/etc. that would be helpful to know (I have some, but if you guys have others it would be great :) )
Thanks so much :D

Hey Katie! I can't help with cases and stuff, but from the syllabus the themes and challenges you need are:

•        the role of the law in encouraging cooperation and resolving conflict in regard to
consumers
•    issues of compliance and non-compliance
•    laws relating to consumers as a reflection of changing values and ethical standards
•    the role of law reform in recognising the rights of consumers
•    the effectiveness of legal and non-legal responses in achieving justice for consumers.

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #1127 on: July 26, 2017, 03:27:04 pm »
+2
Hey guys!

I was just wondering for family law - what kind of topics/questions would it be appropriate to talk about the autonomy of children?
Also, how would you advise structuring an essay on a general family law question for 'relationship breakdowns' (there's too much content!!)

Hey Rachel! You'd discuss the autonomy of children in questions relating to the care and protection of children, and perhaps the changing nature of parental responsibility as well? :)

General Family Law essays can be structured a heap of ways. Case by case, effective vs ineffective, response by response - There is definitely no right or wrong and you can pick what seems best for you! Ditto for relationship breakdowns, though personally for those I planned to do one paragraph on divorce/separation, one paragraph on children involved in relationship breakdowns, one paragraph on domestic violence ;D

chelseam

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +45
« Reply #1128 on: July 26, 2017, 09:39:52 pm »
Hi! Just wondering if anyone would have any ideas on how state sovereignty assists in resolving world order issues? Thank you :)
HSC 2017: Chemistry / English Advanced / English Extension 1 / Legal Studies (5th in NSW) / Math Extension 1 / Math Extension 2

lucyjayne

• Trailblazer
  • Sad backwards is das und das ist nicht gut
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #1129 on: July 27, 2017, 02:02:49 pm »
Hey,

I was just wondering if anyone knows what the legislation the adversary system is implemented under? Is it just the common law system that it has been derived from or is there a specific law? I have an essay on the criminal trial process in my Trial and I'm just wondering how I could implement legislation in talking about the Adversary process as a means of achieving justice.

Thank you ;D
HSC 2017: Legal Studies, English (Standard), Modern History, Ancient History, Studies of Religion II, German Continuers.

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #1130 on: July 27, 2017, 04:06:45 pm »
+1
Hey,

I was just wondering if anyone knows what the legislation the adversary system is implemented under? Is it just the common law system that it has been derived from or is there a specific law? I have an essay on the criminal trial process in my Trial and I'm just wondering how I could implement legislation in talking about the Adversary process as a means of achieving justice.

Thank you ;D

i honestly have no clue (i don't think there's legislation for it judging by a quick google) but in an essay about the criminal process there's a looooot of stuff to talk about so just mention the adversarial system of trial itself, you won't be penalised for not including background on it :-)
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #1131 on: July 27, 2017, 05:53:45 pm »
+1
Hey,

Thank you ;D

Hey lucyjayne, I had to think about this one. The adversary system is inherited through common law, and I believe the best way to credit this to an authority in writing in Australia is probably by looking at the Constitution which distributes power to the judicial arm in Chapter III. This seems to be the best link to look at for more. I suppose you could also link to our (Australian's) right to a fair trial - perceiving the fair trial to be adversarial seeing as legal representation is integral to both a fair trial and the adversary system. Happy for someone else to come along and suggest a better way to approach this, but this is how I'd do it :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

gkim1

• Adventurer
  • Crying about how I want the HSC to be over.
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #1132 on: July 27, 2017, 07:43:47 pm »
Hiya!
Can anyone give me some good tips on how to remember legislation, cases and media - cause lol my legal trial is next week and I'm struggling so hard to remember cases.

And maybe some cases relating to the 6 themes and challenges ? My teacher was saying that it would be good to set up a table for each dot point in the syllabus (for crime, human rights and family) and to find cases that have relevance with the themes and challenges so that I wouldn't have to remember a whole bunch of cases and just have some important/main ones that work with various themes?

A reply would be super awesome! :)
Thanks!
HSC 2017: Advanced Eng / Extension Eng / Business Studies / Legal Studies / Ancient History / General Maths / Studies of Religion

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #1133 on: July 27, 2017, 08:37:31 pm »
+1
Hiya!
Can anyone give me some good tips on how to remember legislation, cases and media - cause lol my legal trial is next week and I'm struggling so hard to remember cases.

And maybe some cases relating to the 6 themes and challenges ? My teacher was saying that it would be good to set up a table for each dot point in the syllabus (for crime, human rights and family) and to find cases that have relevance with the themes and challenges so that I wouldn't have to remember a whole bunch of cases and just have some important/main ones that work with various themes?

A reply would be super awesome! :)
Thanks!

mnemonics help for remembering your LCMs :-) my legal trial is straight after papers 1 and 2 for english rip

cases are in a heap of the notes on this website, there should be tons. can't help you with family though because i don't do that option.

inescelic

• Forum Regular
« Reply #1134 on: July 28, 2017, 07:18:59 pm »
Hi my legal trials are on monday :( could someone please my mark my crime and workplace essay? My teacher has heavily hinted at a compliance/non-compliance for crime....
2017 HSC:
English Advanced: 92 Mathematics: 91
Biology: 94 Legal Studies: 97 (13th in NSW) French Continuers: 85
Mathematics Extension 1: 42
Offering Tutoring in English Advanced, Biology and Legal Studies-> I can provide you with both the knowledge and the exam technique to ace your exams. I also offer very detailed and constructive feedback on your responses. -> Can meet up at libraries in the Sydney area for $30/hr -> PM me if interested.

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #1135 on: July 28, 2017, 09:12:23 pm »
+1
Hi my legal trials are on monday :( could someone please my mark my crime and workplace essay? My teacher has heavily hinted at a compliance/non-compliance for crime....

Hey! Our essay marking threads have closed for the weekend to help us handle the rush before Trials, they will reopen again in the middle of next week :) one of your peers might be willing to provide feedback though!

inescelic

• Forum Regular
« Reply #1136 on: July 29, 2017, 08:41:58 am »
Hey! Our essay marking threads have closed for the weekend to help us handle the rush before Trials, they will reopen again in the middle of next week :) one of your peers might be willing to provide feedback though!
Ahh ok that's fair :) Could someone please read over mine if they can? I've got my indigenous peoples essay attached too :) Much appreciated :)
2017 HSC:
Offering Tutoring in English Advanced, Biology and Legal Studies-> I can provide you with both the knowledge and the exam technique to ace your exams. I also offer very detailed and constructive feedback on your responses. -> Can meet up at libraries in the Sydney area for $30/hr -> PM me if interested.

JD99

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #1137 on: July 29, 2017, 08:45:04 am »
you don't need to know the sections, unless you want to remember them for extra detail. for your LCMs just mention them as relevant and provide enough information to support the point you're making. :)
Thank you!!

Also, does anyone know whether the ICCPR and the ICESCR have been enacted into Australian legilsation?
Thanks!!

inescelic

• Forum Regular
« Reply #1138 on: July 29, 2017, 08:53:20 am »
Hi could someone please explain this MC for me?
Which of the following is an example of transnational crime?
A. Piracy
B. Torture
C. Genocide
D. Sex trafficking
The answer is A, but what makes D not fully correct? I thought that human trafficking was a type of transnational crime too? Also, in exams, how do you know if they are referring to piracy (pirates) or internet piracy? And are they both transnational or not?
2017 HSC:

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #1139 on: July 29, 2017, 10:28:05 am »
Ahh ok that's fair :) Could someone please read over mine if they can? I've got my indigenous peoples essay attached too :) Much appreciated :)

hi! i did a quick read of this essay (i've also done this question before). i'm also no marker so my feedback is not the best but overall it was a really great essay! you integrated all the indigenous peoples case studies really well and i liked how you incorporated the contemporary issues. is that first paragraph your introduction? if so, that was REALLY long and usually should be 5-10 (maybe a little more than 10) lines handwritten. you don't have to include a definition on indigenous peoples and who they are, or a full definition on state sovereignty, because the marker already knows that. just mention what state sovereignty is in a concise manner and explain how it limits or recognises the rights of indigenous peoples.

i'm so sorry about the rant on the introduction but other than that, it was a really great essay. also, if you can write all of that in 45 minutes, you're amazing.