Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 07:23:17 am

Author Topic: HSC Legal Studies Question Thread  (Read 572770 times)  Share 

~BK~

• Trendsetter
  • "Bibia be ye ye"- all will be well!
  • Respect: +24
Re: Legal Studies Question Thread
« Reply #1170 on: July 30, 2017, 07:02:25 pm »
hey my legal buddies!! ;D
i was wondering if anyone had some useful tips about how to attack the short answers.... ???
we have heaps of them in these upcoming trial and i feel like some of them might be really specific...
any tips.. ::)
ATB EVERYONE FOR THEIR TRIALS ;) ;) ;)
~BK~
BRING ON NOV 2nd ;D

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
« Reply #1171 on: July 30, 2017, 07:15:22 pm »
+4
how do I remember legislation/cases/media articles/victim impact statements and statistics? also in the trials..what do I do if I know what the specific act does, but cant remember the name of it?
also, what is adjudication? and the difference between bail and remand? I understand that bail is awarded between the period of being charged and awaiting trial, but is remand when you are taken back into custody after abusing one of the terms by which you were awarded bail?

lastly...any words of encouragement? trials are this week and I'm stressing majorly!

MT!

actively talking about what you're going to discuss with other people is a great way of remembering this. as for forgetting stuff in an exam well make it up 😂 it's not ideal but at least you've got evidence to prove your points.

adjudication i honestly have no clue but a quick google says that a synonym is arbitration which is a term you might be familiar with. here's an excerpt from my notes on bail and remand, i hope it makes sense:

Bail - conditional release of a person. A person on bail needs to provide the court with a bond which is a sum of money kept by the court if the person breaches bail conditions.

Remand - someone accused of a serious crime is held for the period between being charged and facing trial.

words of encouragement: fake it till you make it! take everything one day at a time, and remember, we're all in the same boat (i'm stressing SO MUCH for paper 1 tomorrow like you wouldn't even believe). good luck!

hey my legal buddies!! ;D
i was wondering if anyone had some useful tips about how to attack the short answers.... ???
we have heaps of them in these upcoming trial and i feel like some of them might be really specific...
any tips.. ::)
ATB EVERYONE FOR THEIR TRIALS ;) ;) ;)
~BK~

tips for short answers: taking into account the amount of marks for each question is really important. if it's specific and you have no idea what the hell is going on make it up 😂 once again, definitely not ideal but at least you've got something there. studying as broad as possible for the short answers is super important so if you know you can't remember every single detail, have a good idea of what could be asked, i guess.

good luck!

Last one, can someone please offer their thoughts on my IP intro:
"To what extent has state sovereignty assisted in recognising the rights of IPs?"
State sovereignty has the power to promote Indigenous peoples' (IPs) right to self-determination yet equally can prevent IPs from pursuing their political, social and economic status. The worldwide history of colonisation has impeded upon the rights of IPs, and thus as social values change, a new body of law aims to assert the rights of IPs and rectify past wrongs and injustices. However, a nation state's ability to recognise rights related to land, natural resources and language, is dependent upon political will, thus making state sovereignty a limited tool for the achievement of justice for IPs, as highlighted by the disparities of IPs rights worldwide.

i don't do workplace so i can't help you with that one, sorry! this introduction is great, except i don't think the second sentence is totally necessary but that's just my opinion - take it with a grain of salt.

good luck everyone!! take everything a day at a time and no matter how stressed you are, it is only a short period of time. take breaks and don't put too much pressure on yourself :-)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 07:16:56 pm by fantasticbeasts3 »
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

inescelic

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #1172 on: July 30, 2017, 07:19:53 pm »
Hi can someone please confirm these answers for MC? No answers came :(
1. The selling of alcohol to a person under the age of 18 is best described as which of the following?
a) Crime against the person
b) Public order offence
c) Preliminary Offence
d) Economic offence
2. Which of the following is true of the adversary system?
a) There is a presumption of guilt
b) The accused must take the stand and be cross-examined
c) The onus of the burden of proof is on the defendant
d) The past record of the accused can only be examined during sentencing
3. Which of the following is a feature of the ICC?
a) It can only hear cases between nation states
b) It can prosecute individuals who have committed CAH
c) It can prosecute individuals who have signed the Rome Statute
d) It can only hear cases from individuals who have been victims of international crime
2017 HSC:
English Advanced: 92 Mathematics: 91
Biology: 94 Legal Studies: 97 (13th in NSW) French Continuers: 85
Mathematics Extension 1: 42
Offering Tutoring in English Advanced, Biology and Legal Studies-> I can provide you with both the knowledge and the exam technique to ace your exams. I also offer very detailed and constructive feedback on your responses. -> Can meet up at libraries in the Sydney area for $30/hr -> PM me if interested.

TheMC

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #1173 on: July 30, 2017, 07:21:28 pm »
Hey-o guys,

Just curious, does anyone know any good Shelter tips and tricks? Got Trials on Wednesday and struggling under all the content for it, and was wondering if anyone had any idea on easier ways to remember the legislation and such. And any media articles on it would be appreciated if anyone had any!

Thanks!
English Ad
Legal Studies
Business Studies
SOR 2
Math Gen
Ancient History

ATAR goal of 80+

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
« Reply #1174 on: July 30, 2017, 07:27:21 pm »
+2
1. The selling of alcohol to a person under the age of 18 is best described as which of the following?
b) Public order offence
c) Preliminary Offence
d) Economic offence
d) It can only hear cases from individuals who have been victims of international crime

in my opinion:   1. B    2. D    3. B

i have no clue if they're right especially the first one (nope strike that all of them)

Hey-o guys,

Just curious, does anyone know any good Shelter tips and tricks? Got Trials on Wednesday and struggling under all the content for it, and was wondering if anyone had any idea on easier ways to remember the legislation and such. And any media articles on it would be appreciated if anyone had any!

Thanks!

yay another shelter person!! i have no tips to help you remember the legislation because i struggle to do it myself. media articles work well with the contemporary issues - google is your best friend in this situation :-) google stuff like "affordability in sydney" or "homelessness sydney" and heaps should come up, particularly in the last year or so.
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

TheMC

• Adventurer
« Reply #1175 on: July 30, 2017, 07:39:07 pm »
+1
b) Public order offence
c) Preliminary Offence
d) Economic offence

Disclaimer: I don't claim them to be right, it's just what I would have put down myself

I think 1 would be B
2 = D seems more likely, B seems okay, but idk
3 = B again
I agree with fantasticbeasts3

Hope this helped, or at least limited the scope of answer for you
English Ad
Legal Studies
Business Studies
SOR 2
Math Gen
Ancient History

ATAR goal of 80+

TheMC

• Adventurer
« Reply #1176 on: July 30, 2017, 07:43:15 pm »
+2
in my opinion:   1. B    2. D    3. B

i have no clue if they're right especially the first one (nope strike that all of them)

yay another shelter person!! i have no tips to help you remember the legislation because i struggle to do it myself. media articles work well with the contemporary issues - google is your best friend in this situation :-) google stuff like "affordability in sydney" or "homelessness sydney" and heaps should come up, particularly in the last year or so.

Fellow Shelter sufferer!

Okay, Google it is then (and crying at the content). Thanks mate :)
I've been doing a wonderful job of staring at the textbook and trying not to copy it word for word (been failing at that tbh)
And good luck for the Trials! Hope you kick Shelter's butt!!!
English Ad
Legal Studies
Business Studies
SOR 2
Math Gen
Ancient History

ATAR goal of 80+

isaacdelatorre

• HSC Lecturer
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +74
« Reply #1177 on: July 30, 2017, 08:34:18 pm »
+5
Here is my Workplace Intro for anyone to offer their thoughts:
(plz help trials are tmrw and my teacher has not responded to any of my emails rip)
"To what extent do contemporary issues in the workplace reflect changing values and ethical standards?"
The workplace is of inherent value to society, providing individuals with financial security, while also contributing to the greater economy through employment. Thus, it is important that workplace law reflects the evolving values of society. An important expectation of workplace law is to govern employer and employee relationships to achieve fairness. Yet, in light of contemporary issues such as safety, termination of unemployment, social concerns and expectations towards the liability of employers have increased, to which the law has to some extent, responded. Through law reform in particular, workplace law has aimed to adapt to these growing concerns,however, it struggles to reach full effectiveness through struggling to balance the rights between the employer and employee.

Hey there inescelic,

From a quick skim over of your intro, the main issue I have with it is that it provide a clear judgment until the very last sentence, and even here it is still a little bit 'on the fence.' For legal studies essays, markers really want to see that you have a strong overall judgment (in our legal essays we had words that were banned such as "some extent" "a little bit effective" "moderately effective" etc. as these words clouded your argument making it unclear what your overall stance on the question is; also "completely effective/ineffective" as everything in the justice system has some flaws to it but also some positive) It's really good that you mention the flaws of the system as this really heightens your argument that you can acknowledge both sides but in the end you should have one overall judgement that guides the direction of your essay.

Hope this gives you an initial direction, definitely post it back up for us to see your progress!

how do I remember legislation/cases/media articles/victim impact statements and statistics? also in the trials..what do I do if I know what the specific act does, but cant remember the name of it?
also, what is adjudication? and the difference between bail and remand? I understand that bail is awarded between the period of being charged and awaiting trial, but is remand when you are taken back into custody after abusing one of the terms by which you were awarded bail?

lastly...any words of encouragement? trials are this week and I'm stressing majorly!

MT!

Hi Sophia123!

Memorising the large amount of content was one of the biggest things i struggled with during legal studies - the way around this was to choose pieces of evidence that were broad enough to use in multiple dot points. This way I could remember one case that covered a variety of dot points instead of memorising 5 individual cases for specific dot points. Once you have culled away and found the "essential" pieces of evidence you need, actually memorising it is another story. I found that writing out the legislation and the main provisions, cases and the judgments, media articles and their effect - writing these out 2-3 times then reading it helped me to initially understand. Then i would make an essay plan in closed book circumstances and pick what evidence i would use and dot point the main parts. Sadly, there is on secret formula for memorising it but making it engaging and not just a boring read over and over again is the best way to go about it - this can be done in many ways, palm cards and testing yourself, translating each evidence into a symbol to trigger it etc.

Bail/remand - so you know that when a person is charged, there is a time lag between then and when the case actually starts. This time can be up to one year and is to compensate for lawyers to get their cases together as well as the backlog of cases the courts have to deal with. So during this time period a person can be let out on bail which is the "conditional release of a person awaiting their trial" or they are detained until then which is called remand. This is a big issue to do with law reform, moral/ethical standards etc. and is dealt with in the bail act; having ramifications on overcrowding of prisoners as well as the cost involved in keeping people in prison when they havent been convicted etc. An incredibly interesting topic area that I highly recommend you look over as it can be used in a variety of theme & challenge essay questions.

Don't worry, the trial is just a piece of paper - just realise it's just paper; don't let it scare you that much!!! Imagine you are the fire burning through the paper, growing bigger with every question answered and mark you will get :) ahah that was very cringe but i hope you understand that it is only one test, there are other opportunities to do better!! But the fact that you are realising your problem areas now and asking about them is actually amazing for you (even if you don't realise), so don't stress and just go into it with a confident mindset that you will ace it!!!

Good luck! :)

Last one, can someone please offer their thoughts on my IP intro:
"To what extent has state sovereignty assisted in recognising the rights of IPs?"
State sovereignty has the power to promote Indigenous peoples' (IPs) right to self-determination yet equally can prevent IPs from pursuing their political, social and economic status. The worldwide history of colonisation has impeded upon the rights of IPs, and thus as social values change, a new body of law aims to assert the rights of IPs and rectify past wrongs and injustices. However, a nation state's ability to recognise rights related to land, natural resources and language, is dependent upon political will, thus making state sovereignty a limited tool for the achievement of justice for IPs, as highlighted by the disparities of IPs rights worldwide.

Hey there,

State sovereignty has the power to promote Indigenous peoples' (IPs)not sure if this is acceptable but if your teacher said it is then totally ignore :) right to self-determination yet equally can prevent IPs from pursuing their political, social and economic status. so the same sort of issue as your other introduction - it lacks a clear stance/judgment, especially since you said "equally" it seems very on the fence and I am not sure what way you are arguing for. The worldwide history of colonisation has impeded upon the rights of IPs, and thus as social values change, a new body of law aims to assert the rights of IPs and rectify past wrongs and injusticestry to link this sentence a bit more to the question, is this going to a paragraph? or is this just setting up the context of state sovereignty's role in promoting recognition of IPs. However, a nation state's ability to recognise rights related to land, natural resources and language, is dependent upon political will, thus making state sovereignty a limited tool for the achievement of justice for IPs, as highlighted by the disparities of IPs rights worldwide. really like how you mention disparities internationally - this sets up really good points of comparison that can strengthen your argument - however it still lacks an overall clear judgement that acknowledges both sides of the argument --> this is really necessary to achieve the top marks in essays. Try to incorporate this a little bit more!!

Hope this helps a little bit!! :)
HSC 2016:   ATAR: 99+
Mathematics - 97    Economics - 96     Legal Studies - 95     Advanced English - 91    Business Studies - 95

2017: B Commerce/B Law @ UNSW  

maria1999

• Forum Regular
« Reply #1178 on: July 31, 2017, 06:01:40 pm »
hey guys!
Does anyone have like a cheat way to remember family law cases and legislations? Maybe with cases that you can use for multiple dot points? Also, how can I find good divorce cases to use in an essay which refers to relationships breakdowns or anything concerning divorce etc.
For our HSC we do world order and family law but we haven't done world order yet so we need to answer both choices for the family law opition and I'm stresssssed. Any help would be so appreciated!!
Thank you!

lucyjayne

• Trailblazer
  • Sad backwards is das und das ist nicht gut
« Reply #1179 on: August 01, 2017, 12:42:38 pm »
Hey,

I'm struggling to prepare for the question that is going to be based around the effectiveness of the Criminal Trial Process as a means of achieving justice just because there is so much under that dot point and I keep getting confused trying to plan my essays talking about the adversary system and then juries in a different paragraph because I feel like i'm making the same points. Are there any tips on how to prepare for this?
HSC 2017: Legal Studies, English (Standard), Modern History, Ancient History, Studies of Religion II, German Continuers.

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #1180 on: August 01, 2017, 01:16:35 pm »
Hey,

I'm struggling to prepare for the question that is going to be based around the effectiveness of the Criminal Trial Process as a means of achieving justice just because there is so much under that dot point and I keep getting confused trying to plan my essays talking about the adversary system and then juries in a different paragraph because I feel like i'm making the same points. Are there any tips on how to prepare for this?

When you're approaching this: consider how effective it is for the three parties of victim, accused, and society. So when you look at juries - evaluate the fairness for all three parties respectively, and when you look at legal representation, consider the potential limitations there for each party, and then again when it comes to the way evidence is handled/delivered. I think this way you have a definite approach to each new topic, so if you divide it up and give air time to each (sometimes victim and society can be grouped together) then you can be sure you won't be overlapping because you've gone off topic - you'll have a strong direction  this way. What do you think?
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

~BK~

• Trendsetter
  • "Bibia be ye ye"- all will be well!
  • Respect: +24
« Reply #1181 on: August 01, 2017, 01:59:14 pm »
hey... :)
we have our trials tomorrow and i was just wondering...
does anyone do 'consumers' as their elective?! :o
i need to know how i would structure an essay?! ???
thanks ;D
BRING ON NOV 2nd ;D

rodero

• Forum Obsessive
  • Professional quote and statistic generator
  • Respect: +81
« Reply #1182 on: August 01, 2017, 02:05:36 pm »
+3
Hey,

Hey,

There are sooo many different ways to structure a legal essay !
Elyse gave one about balancing the three parties, which directly relates to a theme/challenge.

Personally, I always structure my crime essays by dot point - kind of like how you have one paragraph on the adversary system, and another on juries. In all honesty, I wouldn't know how to include the adversary system because it just seems to broad for me and I have no specific LCMs for an argument. That being said, i'm interested to see what sort of evidence you've found.

My structure would consist of:

Charge negotiation:
R v Loveridge -> Public outcry -> one punch laws
R v Abrahams -> charge negotiation deal denied by the judge -> highlights judicial discretion

Juries:
Jury misconduct -> R v Skaf -> R v Karakaya
Infallibility of evidence -> R v Jama

Provocation:
R v Singh -> Public outcry -> Provocation Amendment Act

Within each paragraph, i'd make a judgement on whether they uphold the rights of the three parties or not.

Hope this helps :)
HSC 2017:
English (Advanced): 91    Legal Studies: 92    Modern History: 91    Studies of Religion 2: 90    Business Studies: 92

ATAR: 96.75

Need tutoring? Click here!

lucyjayne

• Trailblazer
  • Sad backwards is das und das ist nicht gut
« Reply #1183 on: August 01, 2017, 02:16:49 pm »
When you're approaching this: consider how effective it is for the three parties of victim, accused, and society. So when you look at juries - evaluate the fairness for all three parties respectively, and when you look at legal representation, consider the potential limitations there for each party, and then again when it comes to the way evidence is handled/delivered. I think this way you have a definite approach to each new topic, so if you divide it up and give air time to each (sometimes victim and society can be grouped together) then you can be sure you won't be overlapping because you've gone off topic - you'll have a strong direction  this way. What do you think?

Yeah that seems to be the best approach. I was going to try and break up my paragraphs to different points like the use of the adversarial system, legal representation, use of evidence and the use of the jury to argue that it is the Criminal trial process is ineffective in achieving justice because of the flaws and imbalances within them and use cases to support this. Thanks for your help!
HSC 2017: Legal Studies, English (Standard), Modern History, Ancient History, Studies of Religion II, German Continuers.

paigek3

• Forum Obsessive
  • My name is Ella
  • Respect: +126
« Reply #1184 on: August 01, 2017, 05:22:57 pm »
How could I incorporate law reform with the criminal trial process? These are the dot points under that heading:

• court jurisdiction
• the adversary system
• legal personnel: magistrate, judge, police
prosecutor, Director of Public Prosecution,
Public Defenders
• pleas, charge negotiation
• legal representation, including legal aid
• burden and standard of proof
• use of evidence, including witnesses
• defences to criminal charges:
– complete defences
– partial defences to murder
• the role of juries, including verdicts
HSC subjects
Advanced English | Extension 1 English | Extension 2 English | Legal Studies | PDHPE | Society and Culture | General 2 Maths

Need HSC tutoring, mentoring or essay marking? I'm offering all of that online! Check out all the offers, pricing and details here https://bandsevenhsctutoring.wordpress.com/blog/ and feel free to get in contact with me if you want any more info :)