Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 11:26:25 pm

Author Topic: HSC Legal Studies Question Thread  (Read 572712 times)  Share 

Neilab

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Riverside Girls High School
  • School Grad Year: 2017
Re: Legal Studies Question Thread
« Reply #1200 on: August 01, 2017, 09:51:23 pm »
World Order questions are all really similar, I normally approached them in one of two ways. You can go response by response, with a paragraph on the UNSC, a paragraph on the General Assembly, a paragraph on NATO, etc etc - Or you can go case by case, examining contemporary world scenarios and evaluating how all the responses respond to each of them in turn. Both work! I did response by response in my Trial, then case by case in my HSC - Very much your preference ;D

Those are excellent choices, I'd also throw North Korea in there as a super contemporary one - You could also discuss the issues going on with Russia (perhaps including the Ukrainian debacle that happened a few years back) :)

I personally hate both of those ;) but I'd go with A myself! I'd be discussing how each response encourages compliance with international standards, peer pressure would be a big part of it, state sovereignty would be the barrier to it! This probably will make more sense as you discuss the responses, but you'd include the usuals - UNSC, General Assembly, IGO's etc ;D

Thank you sooo much! I was thinking of setting out my sssay like this (let me know what youuu think!);

Para 1 - UNSC

Para 2 - Courts and Tribunals (ICC and ICJ)

Para 3 - International Humanitarian Law/Treaties... Is this a response? I was going to talk about the Nucelear Proliferaion Treaty, Geneva Conventions?
--> OR should I just pick an entirely different response :)

For each of them;
--> I'd outline their role in encouraging compliance through the promotion of peace and resolution of conflict including ONE example
--> Outline limitations (mainly state soverignty obvs) with a major case study

Let me know what you think of this :)))

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #1201 on: August 01, 2017, 09:54:09 pm »
Thank you sooo much! I was thinking of setting out my sssay like this (let me know what youuu think!);

Para 1 - UNSC

Para 2 - Courts and Tribunals (ICC and ICJ)

Para 3 - International Humanitarian Law/Treaties... Is this a response? I was going to talk about the Nucelear Proliferaion Treaty, Geneva Conventions?
--> OR should I just pick an entirely different response :)

For each of them;
--> I'd outline their role in encouraging compliance through the promotion of peace and resolution of conflict including ONE example
--> Outline limitations (mainly state soverignty obvs) with a major case study

Let me know what you think of this :)))

This all looks great, but watch including the ICC - That's very much an international crime thing. Still relevant but make sure you are still focusing on World Order, it is very easy to slip into talking more about it in terms of a response to international crime instead. The ICJ is vital to discuss ;D

Neilab

• Forum Regular
« Reply #1202 on: August 01, 2017, 09:54:25 pm »
alsoo... do you have any suggested articles that are relevant to the WO syllabus  :) :)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #1203 on: August 01, 2017, 09:55:24 pm »
+1
alsoo... do you have any suggested articles that are relevant to the WO syllabus  :) :)

Check out these World Order Notes! My summary sheets are in the list and there's a few articles in there ;D

georgiia

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #1204 on: August 01, 2017, 09:56:00 pm »
So take something like NATO - When everyone else in the North Atlantic Treaty Organisation wants to do something, the countries you rely on for trade and security and intelligence - You will want to do it too. As soon as countries form alliances those alliances can be used to leverage that country into doing certain things.

Of course, this doesn't always work. North Korea is very happy to ignore NATO and the UN, for example! These are the sorts of things you discuss and analyse ;D

JAMON THIS IS AN EMERGENCY SO PLEASE REPLY ASAP

I have my trials tomorrow and if I were to talk about the recent NK intercontinental baltic missile testing and the threats it poses ect. which syllabus areas should I focus on most when talking about that as a contemporary issue?
(for world order btw)

Thanks!!!
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 09:57:44 pm by georgiia »

Neilab

• Forum Regular
« Reply #1205 on: August 01, 2017, 09:56:47 pm »
This all looks great, but watch including the ICC - That's very much an international crime thing. Still relevant but make sure you are still focusing on World Order, it is very easy to slip into talking more about it in terms of a response to international crime instead. The ICJ is vital to discuss ;D

Oh I see! thank you for letting me know! I'll keep that in mind and focus on ICJ in that case :) In the next few days would I be able to post up a lil essay plan so I can get an all clear of you guys before I start writing away?

Neilab

• Forum Regular
« Reply #1206 on: August 01, 2017, 09:57:18 pm »
Check out these World Order Notes! My summary sheets are in the list and there's a few articles in there ;D

Thaaaank you legend!

TheFreeMarketeer

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +9
« Reply #1207 on: August 01, 2017, 10:03:13 pm »
Any tips or tricks to memorising legislations and cases? For Family and Consumer it seems a little easier due to the contemporary issues and compartmentalisation of the options.

But the crime essay is getting to me - there's so much to memorise, legislations and cases D:

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #1208 on: August 01, 2017, 10:06:01 pm »
+1
Any tips or tricks to memorising legislations and cases? For Family and Consumer it seems a little easier due to the contemporary issues and compartmentalisation of the options.

But the crime essay is getting to me - there's so much to memorise, legislations and cases D:

Do dot point essays to practice questions like these, dot pointing the cases and evidence you'd use in each paragraph! Memorisation and argument practice in one go - My favourite way to study ;D

georgiia

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #1209 on: August 01, 2017, 10:07:07 pm »
+1

I've spent the last two hours on quizlet having the case on one side and amendments/other info on the other and doing that and it helps SOOOOOO MUCH

Like this sort of thing:
https://quizlet.com/Georgiia_p/folders/legal-studies-trials/sets

chelseam

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +45
« Reply #1210 on: August 01, 2017, 10:18:23 pm »
Hey! Does anyone know how the UN impacts human rights enforcement in Australia? Would this link to how Australia responds to world order issues (or am I starting to mix these two topics up now?) :o

Also, I just saw this question in a past paper - "Compare the effectiveness of political negotiation, persuasion and the use of force as methods of maintaining world order." Does anyone have any ideas on how to approach this? ;D Thank you :)
HSC 2017: Chemistry / English Advanced / English Extension 1 / Legal Studies (5th in NSW) / Math Extension 1 / Math Extension 2

TheFreeMarketeer

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +9
« Reply #1211 on: August 01, 2017, 10:40:08 pm »
+1
Hey! Does anyone know how the UN impacts human rights enforcement in Australia? Would this link to how Australia responds to world order issues (or am I starting to mix these two topics up now?) :o

Also, I just saw this question in a past paper - "Compare the effectiveness of political negotiation, persuasion and the use of force as methods of maintaining world order." Does anyone have any ideas on how to approach this? ;D Thank you :)

I don't do World Order but the UN has no binding impact on Australian lawmaking because of the notion of state sovereignty. Ultimately, the UN can influence with proposals, that Australia can either sign, or ratify, etc... but that's the extent of the UN's influence.

oliviamarie

• Adventurer
« Reply #1212 on: August 01, 2017, 10:49:12 pm »
desperate last minute cramming- just wondering what points you would go about for law reform in sentencing and punishment? obviously mandatory sentencing and r v loveridge case but I couldn't think of more points/ write a whole essay on it!

hansolo9

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #1213 on: August 01, 2017, 10:59:56 pm »
Is it correct to argue that extraditions lack prima facie conflict the basis of "innocent until proven guilty"?

Or do they only propose to extradite because they already have a reasonable case against the accused?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #1214 on: August 01, 2017, 11:07:19 pm »
desperate last minute cramming- just wondering what points you would go about for law reform in sentencing and punishment? obviously mandatory sentencing and r v loveridge case but I couldn't think of more points/ write a whole essay on it!

Remember to prepare stuff from investigation and trial as well! You can use the R v Singh (2012) case which spurred parliamentary review into the use of partial defences to murder in NSW, as one idea, or look at the new Bail Act? :) you've covered the two big things I'd think to mention for reform of sentencing and punishment, I highly doubt you'd get an essay on law reform that was also restricted to sentencing and punishment :)