Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 04:30:44 am

Author Topic: HSC Legal Studies Question Thread  (Read 572751 times)  Share 

soha.rizvi1

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Re: Legal Studies Question Thread
« Reply #1260 on: August 20, 2017, 01:19:18 pm »
Hey,

I just had a question regarding why the changing values and ethical standards contribute to developmnet of human rights?

kiiaaa

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #1261 on: August 20, 2017, 01:24:46 pm »
hey

I was wondering if someone could help answer this 4 mark question - what is the importance of human rights?
i have no idea what do i say in this this as my answer
thank you :))  :) :) :) :)

Claire?

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #1262 on: August 20, 2017, 05:29:09 pm »
Hi, I was wondering how you would define economic rights? I was asked this question in my trial and was uncertain how to answer it :)

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
« Reply #1263 on: August 20, 2017, 08:19:22 pm »
+3
Hey,

I just had a question regarding why the changing values and ethical standards contribute to developmnet of human rights?

if you look at the example of education being a universal human right, people have recognised the importance of education in someone's life, rather than say in the 1700s where not many people were educated. in a way, it's kind of like law reform - human rights follow what society thinks, and what is acceptable. hope this helps!

hey

I was wondering if someone could help answer this 4 mark question - what is the importance of human rights?
i have no idea what do i say in this this as my answer
thank you :))  :) :) :) :)

for this question, make a judgement on why human rights are important, then provide examples (from the first couple of dot points like abolition of slavery, education, environmental rights, etc) showing the evolution of human rights and how they've come to shape society. :-)

Hi, I was wondering how you would define economic rights? I was asked this question in my trial and was uncertain how to answer it :)

oh my gosh i would definitely freak out if i did trials now, because i have no idea. i got this from google: 'Economic, social and cultural rights are socio-economic human rights, such as the right to education, right to housing, right to adequate standard of living, right to health and the right to science and culture.' i would think economic rights would be like the right for adequate pay, but i honestly don't have a clue
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

sidzeman

• Trendsetter
« Reply #1264 on: August 20, 2017, 09:30:03 pm »
Hey for R v Loveridge
The one punch law's always get brought up but what are they exactly - was there a whole new law passed for it or were they just amendments made to the Crimes Act 1900 - also what were the exact names of the new law/changes

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #1265 on: August 20, 2017, 09:32:06 pm »
+1

Hey Claire! Adding to the fantastic answer from fantasticbeasts above, economic rights are enshrined in the International Covenant on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights (ICESCR), and it definitely includes the rights to fair working conditions, as well as things like social security, standard of living, shelter, etc. They can overlap quite heavily with the social and cultural rights in the same covenant, and no strict definitions exist of what categorises them one way or the other. We consider them as a whole (for this reason, I doubt this specific question would be asked in the HSC itself, far more likely they'd open it up to the trifecta imo) ;D

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1151
« Reply #1266 on: August 20, 2017, 09:44:01 pm »
+5
Hey for R v Loveridge
The one punch law's always get brought up but what are they exactly - was there a whole new law passed for it or were they just amendments made to the Crimes Act 1900 - also what were the exact names of the new law/changes
Hey, so I actually did an assignment on the one punch laws in yr 11 so I think I can help you out :).
The Crimes and Other Legislation Amendment (Assault and Intoxication) Act 2014 NSW was made to try to prevent alcohol - fuelled violence such as one - punch attacks. This commenced on the 31st of January 2014, and included mandatory sentencing and the lockout laws.
One - punch attackers are now subjected to new sentences. If an offender of this law was under the influence of drugs or alcohol and the person dies there is a minimum sentence of 8 years and a maximum sentence of 25 years.  If the person is not intoxicated by drugs or alcohol a 20 year maximum sentence applies in jail. For those offenders already in jail, if drugs or alcohol were involved their sentence will be increased by 2 years. Under this new amendment police are able to test for drugs and alcohol if the suspect an attacker could have committed the assault under the influence of alcohol or drugs. Somebody could be considered intoxicated if behaviour, co-ordination, speech and balance is clearly affected or they blow a blood - alcohol reading of 0.15 or larger within 6 hours of the act. 

Hope this helps :)
Class of 2017 (Year 12): Advanced English, General Maths, Legal Studies, Music 1, Ancient History, History Extension, Hospitality
2018-2022: B Music/B Education (Secondary) [UNSW]

sidzeman

• Trendsetter
« Reply #1267 on: August 21, 2017, 10:20:51 am »
I see so when referring to the new laws that were introduced as a result i should refer to "Crimes and other legislation..."?
If you could also tell me the minimum and max sentences that applied to these offences before this amendment I'd really appreciate that!

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #1268 on: August 21, 2017, 10:25:30 am »
I see so when referring to the new laws that were introduced as a result i should refer to "Crimes and other legislation..."?
If you could also tell me the minimum and max sentences that applied to these offences before this amendment I'd really appreciate that!

Here is a copy of the amendment, it should have everything you need in terms of the changes, and you can use this page to find the version of the Act you want to compare it to (immediately before the amendment or otherwise) ;D

marcusgrahamm

• Forum Regular
  • --
« Reply #1269 on: August 21, 2017, 11:14:49 am »
Did anyone else have an 8 mark HR question:

Assess the role of law reform in the development of human rights.

If so how did you/would you attack this?
Business Studies-89

Legal Studies-93

Modern History-93

Society And Culture-93

Advanced English-93

Ext 1 Eng- 42

ATAR: 96.95

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
« Reply #1270 on: August 21, 2017, 04:16:34 pm »
Did anyone else have an 8 mark HR question:

Assess the role of law reform in the development of human rights.

If so how did you/would you attack this?

i haven't done a question like this, but i would relate this to a contemporary issue, because although it doesn't ask that, there is a lot of law reform in those areas. :-) anyone have anything else to add?
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

Mounica

• Trailblazer
« Reply #1271 on: August 21, 2017, 05:54:58 pm »
Hey guys,
can someone pls explain how i would answer this question:
"assess the effectiveness of legal and non-legal measures in dealing with issues of compliance and non-compliance with laws relating to world order"
Thanks

paigek3

• Forum Obsessive
  • My name is Ella
  • Respect: +126
« Reply #1272 on: August 22, 2017, 05:02:11 pm »
Hey what could I talk about/paragraph structure for this question
HSC subjects
Advanced English | Extension 1 English | Extension 2 English | Legal Studies | PDHPE | Society and Culture | General 2 Maths

Need HSC tutoring, mentoring or essay marking? I'm offering all of that online! Check out all the offers, pricing and details here https://bandsevenhsctutoring.wordpress.com/blog/ and feel free to get in contact with me if you want any more info :)

sidzeman

• Trendsetter
« Reply #1273 on: August 23, 2017, 09:25:11 am »
Does anyone have any relevant media/non legal responses in the case of R v LMW? - I can't seem to find any

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #1274 on: August 23, 2017, 10:59:36 am »
+1
Hey guys,
can someone pls explain how i would answer this question:
"assess the effectiveness of legal and non-legal measures in dealing with issues of compliance and non-compliance with laws relating to world order"
Thanks

Hey! You'd be focusing essentially on how different measures force nation states to comply with international standards and to conduct themselves in a peaceful manner. You would also examine how those who are non-compliant are dealt with - Evaluate how things like the UNSC, UN General Assembly, IGO's, bilateral cooperation (etc) achieve these goals ;D