Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 11:40:33 am

Author Topic: HSC Legal Studies Question Thread  (Read 572802 times)  Share 

paigek3

• Forum Obsessive
  • My name is Ella
  • Respect: +126
Re: Legal Studies Question Thread
« Reply #1290 on: August 25, 2017, 08:33:59 pm »
+1
Hey, thanks so much for the reply - it's really insightful!

With your structure, I can see that the evidence you use is practically identical to my own. That is, I had Russia's veto power as my key case in my paragraph of R2P, and the Non-Proliferation Treaty for global situations that threaten peace. Now that I think about it, our structures aren't too different from one another and are actually very similar! I feel as though we've basically just swapped our sentences around; For instance, you have a paragraph on the NPT, where I presume you would then mention the nuclear threat. In my circumstance, I start off with the nuclear threat and then bring in the NPT - very, very similar :)

In terms of how I went in my trials, I couldn't be happier with my Legal Studies results. It was a much needed boost of confidence, especially after getting my other results back. The section where I thought I would do the worst in (human rights), was actually one of my best sections! In the CSSA paper discussion thread, I was freaking over the 7 marker since it was on refugees - something that we hadn't ever covered before. I ended up manipulating the quote so that it could suit my own contemporary issue. That is, I said something along the lines of:

As is stated in the reference, state sovereignty allows Australia to "pass laws" in order to protect or hinder human rights. However, state sovereignty does not limit Australia to simply dealing with the issue of refugees and asylum seekers - they may also "pass laws" to address the issue of human trafficking and slavery.

So yeah, walking out of that exam I was absolutely freaked that I would fail that section completely. I just thought that was such a wild question which was on something that I knew nothing about. Turns out that me, along with a friend of mine were the only students who were able to read between the lines and insert our own contemporary issue. Anyway, I've probably gone far off topic by now. Sorry about that, it's just that I'm so stoked about how I went.

I hope that you are happy about how you went overall :) Once again, thank you so much for giving me some insight into how you structure your World Order essays

Oh right! I did indepdent paper but would love to look through CSSA. Super glad to hear you're happy with your result! Overall I am happy but I was only 2 marks off my goal mark so that was a little annoying but yeah still relieved!
HSC subjects
Advanced English | Extension 1 English | Extension 2 English | Legal Studies | PDHPE | Society and Culture | General 2 Maths

Need HSC tutoring, mentoring or essay marking? I'm offering all of that online! Check out all the offers, pricing and details here https://bandsevenhsctutoring.wordpress.com/blog/ and feel free to get in contact with me if you want any more info :)

mystermark

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #1291 on: August 29, 2017, 10:36:57 am »
Hi Elyse!

I got a REALLY bad mark for world order essay for my trials,
I was wondering on how to study for it because it is so different compared to other topics

abachmid

• Adventurer
« Reply #1292 on: August 29, 2017, 12:08:11 pm »
PLS HELP ME ATAR NOTES,
how do i write a compliance and non-compliance essay for consumer and family, like do i just write a base essay and link it to that? im struggling mostly with my introduction :(

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #1293 on: August 29, 2017, 09:55:08 pm »
+4
Hi Elyse!

I got a REALLY bad mark for world order essay for my trials,
I was wondering on how to study for it because it is so different compared to other topics

Hello!! I'm sorry to hear this :( I'm going to ask questions first and then we can try and build a more productive plan for you!

What let you down - was it the facts? Media? Coherence of the essay?
And in comparison, how were your other essays?

If you can let me know a bit about this I might be able to give you really pertinent examples of how to study :)

PLS HELP ME ATAR NOTES,
how do i write a compliance and non-compliance essay for consumer and family, like do i just write a base essay and link it to that? im struggling mostly with my introduction :(

HERE TO HELP!!!
Although, I'm a little confused about your question. Are you talking about integrating compliance and non-compliance into your essays, or writing an essay about compliance and non-compliance specifically? I admit that compliance and non-compliance is not as easy for family and consumer as it is for crime or world order, but I think it is easier for consumer than it is for family. There are certain aspects of the family syllabus that are really well adapted to compliance and non-compliance (C&NC), like domestic violence. But when it comes to things like divorce/separation, it's got really hardly anything to do with C&NC until you dig deeper into what comes about aftttter these things - like parenting orders, splitting of assets, etc.

Let me know about my first question - is it the entire essay or are you incorporating it? Then I can help with the intro! :)

Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

maria1999

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #1294 on: August 31, 2017, 07:02:22 pm »
hi everyone!
I'm trying to write a world order essay and this is the question
"Evaluate the role of state soverignty in assisting and impeding the resolutions of world order issues"

I'm not quite sure how to write the intro. I feel like I should mention North Korea and such but what else could I talk about. I know there is a lot but I can't seem to gather my thoughts together. Any help would be much appreciated!

anotherworld2b

• Forum Leader
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #1295 on: September 03, 2017, 01:22:17 am »
I was wondering what areas would be good to focus on when explaining how the USA upholds democratic principles   

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #1296 on: September 03, 2017, 03:00:02 pm »
+2
hi everyone!
I'm trying to write a world order essay and this is the question
"Evaluate the role of state soverignty in assisting and impeding the resolutions of world order issues"

I'm not quite sure how to write the intro. I feel like I should mention North Korea and such but what else could I talk about. I know there is a lot but I can't seem to gather my thoughts together. Any help would be much appreciated!

Hi! So you'll definitely want to focus on some contemporary scenarios (world order issues, links nicely to the question) - At least that's how I'd do it! So basically in the introduction you'd want to:

- Establish what it means to 'resolve' a world order issue and why this is important (increasing globalised society, we all need to get along with rainbows and sunshine, etc)
- Mention the methods/avenues through which they can be resolved
- Mention some of the issues you'll be focusing on (North Korea, and ????)
- Make a judgement of how effectively those issues were handled by the methods/avenues

North Korea is a good contemporary issue. The Islamic State, and all surrounding terror issues, would be another. Going back a little further, the Russia/Ukraine issue from 2014 (or so) would be a good one, even things like Brexit might be useful ;D

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #1297 on: September 03, 2017, 03:02:13 pm »
I was wondering what areas would be good to focus on when explaining how the USA upholds democratic principles   

Hey! Maybe stuff on the right to vote in US Elections? That's all I'd think of from the top of my head :)

PS - I'd love to start up a question thread for the question this subject is from in the WACE section, is your subject Politics and Law or?

anotherworld2b

• Forum Leader
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #1298 on: September 03, 2017, 09:34:24 pm »
Yes it is :D
Hey! Maybe stuff on the right to vote in US Elections? That's all I'd think of from the top of my head :)

PS - I'd love to start up a question thread for the question this subject is from in the WACE section, is your subject Politics and Law or?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #1299 on: September 03, 2017, 10:00:49 pm »
+3
Yes it is :D

Have at it! I'd love to get some more people doing their WACE posting on the forums, that's why I've been sort of shifting you back to the WACE section - How cool is it for you to say you were the first proper ATAR Notes user in Western Australia? ;)

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #1300 on: September 04, 2017, 10:50:15 am »
+1

Just an idea...I think there's something about the right to vote for criminals? I don't know if it differs by state, but I *think* it's that being charged with an indictable offence removes your right to vote, and a summary offence (or their equivalent) doesn't remove your right. And also, I can't remember if the right to vote is reinstated after you've done your time? I seem to think it's not. Might be worth discussing this, although it's a small part - if you're talking about voting democratically then this could be included :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

maria1999

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #1301 on: September 05, 2017, 06:26:47 pm »
Hi! So you'll definitely want to focus on some contemporary scenarios (world order issues, links nicely to the question) - At least that's how I'd do it! So basically in the introduction you'd want to:

- Establish what it means to 'resolve' a world order issue and why this is important (increasing globalised society, we all need to get along with rainbows and sunshine, etc)
- Mention the methods/avenues through which they can be resolved
- Mention some of the issues you'll be focusing on (North Korea, and ????)
- Make a judgement of how effectively those issues were handled by the methods/avenues

North Korea is a good contemporary issue. The Islamic State, and all surrounding terror issues, would be another. Going back a little further, the Russia/Ukraine issue from 2014 (or so) would be a good one, even things like Brexit might be useful ;D

yes, that sounds like a great structure! Thanks so much Jamon!

Korrasami

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #1302 on: September 05, 2017, 07:43:50 pm »
Hey everyone! I was reading through one of the World Order essay questions in the HSC 2013 paper which was:
"To what extent have legal and non­legal measures responded to the evolving nature of world order?"

With this, can I talk about the implementation of the United Nations, role of state sovereignty and nature of conflict? It's kind of broad question, as there's so many things I could talk about.

Thanks!!!
« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 07:45:25 pm by Korrasami »

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #1303 on: September 05, 2017, 07:49:19 pm »
Welcome to the forums! Yep, you absolutely can discuss those things. The evolving nature demands you recognise changes in the responses over time. Discuss any reforms that are relevant to your ideas to make sure you are answering that part of the question ;D

Korrasami

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #1304 on: September 05, 2017, 08:01:37 pm »
Welcome to the forums! Yep, you absolutely can discuss those things. The evolving nature demands you recognise changes in the responses over time. Discuss any reforms that are relevant to your ideas to make sure you are answering that part of the question ;D

So would a reform in terms of the UN be the the UN Criminal Court?