Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 08:33:18 pm

Author Topic: HSC Legal Studies Question Thread  (Read 572852 times)  Share 

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: Legal Studies Question Thread
« Reply #1305 on: September 05, 2017, 09:24:22 pm »
So would a reform in terms of the UN be the the UN Criminal Court?

Yep, the introduction of the International Criminal Court definitely qualifies (though don't shift too much into international crime stuff) ;D

caitlinlddouglas

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #1306 on: September 06, 2017, 10:35:49 am »
Hey i was wondering if the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees was a legal or non legal international response? Thanks!

rodero

• Forum Obsessive
  • Professional quote and statistic generator
  • Respect: +81
« Reply #1307 on: September 06, 2017, 07:34:17 pm »
+1
Hey guys,

Can someone please clarify what law reform entails when referring to World Order? In the CSSA trials we were given the question:
"To what extent has law reform responded effectively to regional and global situations that threaten peace and security?"
I mean, law reform would be a godsend question in any OTHER topic, but what the heck does it mean here? I'd assume that it means things like international treaties, declarations etc. but I'd still like a second voice to clarify these things.

HSC 2017:
English (Advanced): 91    Legal Studies: 92    Modern History: 91    Studies of Religion 2: 90    Business Studies: 92

ATAR: 96.75

Need tutoring? Click here!

Korrasami

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #1308 on: September 06, 2017, 08:44:53 pm »
Also in regards to this question: "To what extent does the law encourage cooperation to achieve world order?", would it be more beneficial to look more on the contemporary issues? The law part of the question is having me a bit confused in what areas I can talk about...

austv99

• Trailblazer
« Reply #1309 on: September 07, 2017, 12:47:16 pm »
Hey,
I'm struggling to come up with ideas for technology as a contemporary issue in the consumer topic.
Any ideas?
TIA

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1151
« Reply #1310 on: September 07, 2017, 04:04:04 pm »
+1
Hey,
I'm struggling to come up with ideas for technology as a contemporary issue in the consumer topic.
Any ideas?
TIA
Hey,
So for technology the internet has facilitated services such as:
  • internet marketing
  • electronic loses for tax return
  • branchless banking
  • online reservations for restaurants/entertainment
  • online shopping (even through international shopping which is a lot harder to prosecute)
  • telemarketing
My class watched the ABC, four corners program, 'In google we trust', which mainly talks about internet advertising. It said that 95% of googles money is through targeted advertising.
In terms of media, Fraudulent Airbnb listings increasing, with $88,000 lost to consumers last year from the SMH, shows that consumers are not safeguarded and is negative as the law is not keeping up with the changes in technology. This article Fake online reviews: How masking can hide negative comments on TripAdvisor could be used for marketing innovations as well as technology and shows that Meriton altered, deleted or hid emails that gave negative reviews. It was positive as the ACCC were able to catch and investigate this case.
Hope this helps :)
Class of 2017 (Year 12): Advanced English, General Maths, Legal Studies, Music 1, Ancient History, History Extension, Hospitality
2018-2022: B Music/B Education (Secondary) [UNSW]

paigek3

• Forum Obsessive
  • My name is Ella
  • Respect: +126
« Reply #1311 on: September 07, 2017, 04:13:16 pm »
Also in regards to this question: "To what extent does the law encourage cooperation to achieve world order?", would it be more beneficial to look more on the contemporary issues? The law part of the question is having me a bit confused in what areas I can talk about...

This is similar to my trials question. I took the law as any legal responses really but key focuses on bringing in various articles from international instruments and stemming my arguments around them e.g. Article 2(7) outlines state sovereignty then introduced how that causes non compliance
HSC subjects
Advanced English | Extension 1 English | Extension 2 English | Legal Studies | PDHPE | Society and Culture | General 2 Maths

Need HSC tutoring, mentoring or essay marking? I'm offering all of that online! Check out all the offers, pricing and details here https://bandsevenhsctutoring.wordpress.com/blog/ and feel free to get in contact with me if you want any more info :)

sweetxpple

• Adventurer
« Reply #1312 on: September 09, 2017, 10:28:12 am »
Hi !

I was wondering if 'bills' counted as a legal response? I want to talk about the Migration Legislation Amendment (Regional Processing Cohort) Bill 2016 and how it is ineffective legal response to asylum seekers and refugees (as it violates Australia's international human rights obligations) but it hasn't been enforced as law.

Thank you!

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
« Reply #1313 on: September 09, 2017, 11:10:51 am »
Hi !

I was wondering if 'bills' counted as a legal response? I want to talk about the Migration Legislation Amendment (Regional Processing Cohort) Bill 2016 and how it is ineffective legal response to asylum seekers and refugees (as it violates Australia's international human rights obligations) but it hasn't been enforced as law.

Thank you!

i would say they are! then you can say something's being done about it, but say it's ineffective because of the reasons you've stated above :-)
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #1314 on: September 09, 2017, 01:27:37 pm »
Hey i was wondering if the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees was a legal or non legal international response? Thanks!

Hey Caitlin! Sorry for the late reply, but I'd call that a legal response as it is an aspect of the legal response of the United Nations ;D

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #1315 on: September 09, 2017, 01:30:51 pm »
+1
Hey guys,

Can someone please clarify what law reform entails when referring to World Order? In the CSSA trials we were given the question:
"To what extent has law reform responded effectively to regional and global situations that threaten peace and security?"
I mean, law reform would be a godsend question in any OTHER topic, but what the heck does it mean here? I'd assume that it means things like international treaties, declarations etc. but I'd still like a second voice to clarify these things.

Hey rodero! Sorry for the late reply mate. I agree with your interpretation, could definitely cover new treaties, new declarations - I'd rationalise the importance of it by saying that as the world becomes interconnected, laws must be introduced to safeguard global peace and security. You could do how the law changes in response to contemporary scenarios. You could even do the shift from state sovereignty to R2P. Lots of options! ;D

sweetxpple

• Adventurer
« Reply #1316 on: September 09, 2017, 02:16:09 pm »
Hi Again

for the students learn to 'investigate a contemporary human rights issue and evaluate the effectiveness of legal and non-legal responses to the issue', if there's a bill, etc. that bans asylum seekers and refugees from coming to Australia, is it a response? Or does the response have to be enforcing human rights and then evaluate whether its effective or not? I'm a bit confused, because the government has been stripping human rights from asylum seekers (rather than try to enforce anything) and so I can't really evaluate whether its working since it isnt meant to enforcing rights??

Thank you!

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #1317 on: September 09, 2017, 02:20:56 pm »
+3
Hi Again

for the students learn to 'investigate a contemporary human rights issue and evaluate the effectiveness of legal and non-legal responses to the issue', if there's a bill, etc. that bans asylum seekers and refugees from coming to Australia, is it a response? Or does the response have to be enforcing human rights and then evaluate whether its effective or not? I'm a bit confused, because the government has been stripping human rights from asylum seekers (rather than try to enforce anything) and so I can't really evaluate whether its working since it isnt meant to enforcing rights??

Thank you!

Hey! You can definitely evaluate such a Bill, and it's actually a great find! You evaluate it by saying, "The government is doing an AWFUL job protecting human rights in terms of asylum seekers, and this Bill evidences that. Not only are they not enforcing existing rights, they are taking them away."

Obviously put more formally and with evidence, but that's the idea! ;D

caitlinlddouglas

• Trendsetter
« Reply #1318 on: September 10, 2017, 03:51:23 pm »
Hey Caitlin! Sorry for the late reply, but I'd call that a legal response as it is an aspect of the legal response of the United Nations ;D
no worries thanks!

Mounica

• Trailblazer
« Reply #1319 on: September 13, 2017, 09:17:59 am »
Hey Guys
does anyone have notes on the indigenous people option topic??