Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 08:14:52 pm

Author Topic: HSC Legal Studies Question Thread  (Read 572849 times)  Share 

Mounica

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Re: Legal Studies Question Thread
« Reply #1320 on: September 13, 2017, 10:39:37 am »
Hey guys,
i was looking through past HSC papers and i came across these question:
"Discuss how the nature of conflict provides challenges for achieving world
order"
"To what extent have legal and non ­legal measures responded to the evolving nature of world order"
can someone pls explain how i would set out the essay and also what i should talk about.
Thanks

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #1321 on: September 13, 2017, 02:25:11 pm »
+3
Hey guys,
i was looking through past HSC papers and i came across these question:
"Discuss how the nature of conflict provides challenges for achieving world
order"
"To what extent have legal and non ­legal measures responded to the evolving nature of world order"
can someone pls explain how i would set out the essay and also what i should talk about.
Thanks

Hello! You've got a LOT to talk about in both of these essays.

Firstly, with the question about the nature of conflict, you can touch on any of the following and make them a point of discussion:
-Economic interests of a nation
-Allies across nations
-State sovereignty
-Representation of nations in the UN (UNGA and (UNSC)
-How UNSC resolutions work
-Conflict that spills over borders as opposed to conflict that stays within borders (hello R2P)

With the second, you are taking an approach that's based more on the responses - they can be domestic and international, although the topic naturally inclines itself to the international sphere. So, talk about Geneva Conventions, RP2, UNSC, UNGA, NGOs, and make sure you focus on "evolving" nature - the ways that world order is approached is very different when looking at WW2 and now! :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

jadzia26

• Trailblazer
« Reply #1322 on: September 15, 2017, 04:44:06 pm »
For the Family Option, do we treat "Surrogacy and Birth Technologies" as two separate areas or deal with them holistically?
The text book focuses on them separately but my teacher didn't really teach it properly so I don't know how to do my notes on them.

MisterNeo

• MOTM: MAY 2017
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +454
« Reply #1323 on: September 15, 2017, 05:12:09 pm »
+5
For the Family Option, do we treat "Surrogacy and Birth Technologies" as two separate areas or deal with them holistically?
The text book focuses on them separately but my teacher didn't really teach it properly so I don't know how to do my notes on them.

I would regard them as the same topic since surrogacy is a birth technology that also involves implanting embryos like they do in IVF. Most essays I've read address them in the same paragraph argument.

rodero

• Forum Obsessive
  • Professional quote and statistic generator
  • Respect: +81
« Reply #1324 on: September 15, 2017, 07:09:29 pm »
+5

I'm going to have to disagree with MisterNeo here =/

First off, let me start by saying that a 'Birth technology and surrogacy' question probably won't come up this year as it was last years essay question. That being said, here is a link to the marking criteria. Just ctrl+f and type in "birth technologies and surrogacy"

Now what I want to point out here specifically is the first dot point of each band. In order to reach anywhere from 16-25 you need to talk about "birth technologies AND surrogacy", whereas a mark that is 15 or lower will only mention "birth technologies AND/OR surrogacy". This would imply that both need to be treated separately in your essay. Keep in mind that there are laws that specifically deal with surrogacy, and laws that deal with birth technologies in general.

I'd also like to point out that surrogacy is not always a form of birth technology; it can be sometimes, but not always. Surrogacy can also be done naturally, rather than implemented artificially through IVF or artificial insemination.

Hope that clears it up :)
HSC 2017:
English (Advanced): 91    Legal Studies: 92    Modern History: 91    Studies of Religion 2: 90    Business Studies: 92

ATAR: 96.75

Need tutoring? Click here!

Lachlan Morley

• Forum Regular
  • School: St Augustines College
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #1325 on: September 16, 2017, 10:21:01 am »
Hi All,

Does anyone know roughly what raw exam mark in Legal Studies you would need to get a state rank

Thanks

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #1326 on: September 16, 2017, 10:48:13 am »

Hi All,

Does anyone know roughly what raw exam mark in Legal Studies you would need to get a state rank

Thanks

You'd probably be looking at above 95% at least I reckon, aligning to the high 90's

jadzia26

• Trailblazer
« Reply #1327 on: September 16, 2017, 05:56:15 pm »
+2
I'm going to have to disagree with MisterNeo here =/

First off, let me start by saying that a 'Birth technology and surrogacy' question probably won't come up this year as it was last years essay question. That being said, here is a link to the marking criteria. Just ctrl+f and type in "birth technologies and surrogacy"

Now what I want to point out here specifically is the first dot point of each band. In order to reach anywhere from 16-25 you need to talk about "birth technologies AND surrogacy", whereas a mark that is 15 or lower will only mention "birth technologies AND/OR surrogacy". This would imply that both need to be treated separately in your essay. Keep in mind that there are laws that specifically deal with surrogacy, and laws that deal with birth technologies in general.

I'd also like to point out that surrogacy is not always a form of birth technology; it can be sometimes, but not always. Surrogacy can also be done naturally, rather than implemented artificially through IVF or artificial insemination.

Hope that clears it up :)

Thank you that makes so much more sense!!
I thought it was to be done separately as the textbook orders it that way and i don't know how you would integrate them whilst adhering to the level of detail required for a 25 mark essay but my teacher hasn't taught us any legislation really... she wasted 2 weeks doing nothing so my class doesn't actually know anything (makes it hard lol) but thanks so much for clearing it up I'll definitely structure my notes separately for it now :)

Lachlan Morley

• Forum Regular
« Reply #1328 on: September 17, 2017, 09:21:49 am »
You'd probably be looking at above 95% at least I reckon, aligning to the high 90's

Ok great, I heard you state ranked Jamon, did you buy your papers backand see what your raw mark was.

I got 95 % in my trials and dropped 4 out of the 5 marks in the multi so im interested to see how a person like you who state ranked got in different sections of the paper

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #1329 on: September 17, 2017, 11:30:44 am »
+1
Ok great, I heard you state ranked Jamon, did you buy your papers backand see what your raw mark was.

I got 95 % in my trials and dropped 4 out of the 5 marks in the multi so im interested to see how a person like you who state ranked got in different sections of the paper

Nah I didn't get it back to check! I wish I did in hindsight, but what do you do.

If it helps, in Trials pretty much all my marks were lost in MC as well (Trial MC's are usually harder than HSC MC's). I think I lost a mark in my Family essay and a mark in short answers - Or maybe it was half a mark? I've got 14.5 in my head for some reason :P but then like four marks or so in MC. If you are losing most of your marks there, that's a really good sign ;D

caitlinlddouglas

• Trendsetter
« Reply #1330 on: September 21, 2017, 08:52:44 pm »
hey i was wondering what legislation/measures were in place to help witnesses, especially those in domestic violence/sexual assault when giving evidence in trial? I know victims can give V.I.S by video but i can't find what measures are for witnesses. Thanks!

Lachlan Morley

• Forum Regular
« Reply #1331 on: September 23, 2017, 04:30:15 pm »
Hi all,

Quick Question on the Crime Essay

How many Issues/ concpets should include per essay

I currently do 3 concepts and go into pretty significant detail but would it be better to do more concepts and less LCMID's per concept?

rodero

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #1332 on: September 23, 2017, 07:16:25 pm »
+3

Hi all,

Quick Question on the Crime Essay

How many Issues/ concpets should include per essay

I currently do 3 concepts and go into pretty significant detail but would it be better to do more concepts and less LCMID's per concept?

Hey,
I think of a 'concept' as a syllabus dot point, such as bail or remand. I generally limit myself to three paragraphs where I mention one concept in each. This allows me to go into much greater detail and I can show the positives and negatives which relate to it. That being said, some questions are really limiting and there won't be much you can really say in each 'concept'. In these situations feel free to have smaller paragraphs so that you can mention more than just the standard three.

So essentially, my rule of thumb is to have three 'concepts' in an essay like you said. However, if the question limits you a lot and you can't go into extreme detail with just three, go ahead and have smaller paragraphs where you mention more. :)
HSC 2017:
English (Advanced): 91    Legal Studies: 92    Modern History: 91    Studies of Religion 2: 90    Business Studies: 92

rodero

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #1333 on: September 23, 2017, 07:33:33 pm »
+2

hey i was wondering what legislation/measures were in place to help witnesses, especially those in domestic violence/sexual assault when giving evidence in trial? I know victims can give V.I.S by video but i can't find what measures are for witnesses. Thanks!

My knowledge here is really, really vague but I'll try to do my best here. From what I remember, testimonies can be delivered through a closed-circuit television so that the victim, and maybe the witness don't need to face the accused in court. I'm so sorry that I can't cite any actual legislation but that's all I can really think of

I remember doing sexual assault as a contemporary issue in prelim, so try checking some prelim textbooks for a more direct answer. :)
HSC 2017:

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #1334 on: September 23, 2017, 11:24:53 pm »
+3

Hi Caitlin! I've struggled to find info on this, it wasn't something I put a lot of study into for my own HSC.

There's a document here with brief mentions of measures in place on page 39 and 59. It might help!
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!