Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 02:22:18 am

Author Topic: HSC Legal Studies Question Thread  (Read 572735 times)  Share 

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
Re: Legal Studies Question Thread
« Reply #1365 on: September 28, 2017, 11:45:12 pm »
+3
Hi All,

In the human rights short answers, I have found that some questions will ask for a contemporary human rights issue,

Does anyone know of any holistic issues that I would be able to learn and apply to any question ?

every issue should work for any question you get asked. if you have a textbook, use one of the issues they've talked about there - you have more than enough information to go off. :-)
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

Mounica

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #1366 on: September 29, 2017, 09:53:30 am »
+1
I'd probably be freaking out if I got this question. Here's the structure I'd do:

Nature of conflict:
Nation states have different political agendas. They will only enter into deals which are in their best interest. I'd then mention the conflict in Syria, particularly Russia's exploitation of their veto powers. This paragraph would mainly be about Russia's intention to continue vetoing any resolution brought by the UNSC, as they want to continue their trade of weaponry for the economy. The principle of R2P could be used a bit here as well.

Nature of conflict: Intolerance of other races
Rwandan genocide due to an intolerance of another ethnicity

Access to energy resources
Main focus would be the United State's illegal invasion of Iraq in 2003. The whole purpose of the invasion is seen to be for access to oil resources.

Access to food resources
Mention the severe drought in Darfur, which led to the Darfur conflict in 2003. When people began to rebel, the government commit ethnic cleansing, genocide and crimes against humanity to stay in power
You could also mention some court cases, such as the whaling incident in Australia v Japan

Hope that helps :) Sorry it's so brief but I really don't know much else to talk about here!
Thank you so much that was really helpful

rodero

• Forum Obsessive
  • Professional quote and statistic generator
  • Respect: +81
« Reply #1367 on: September 29, 2017, 10:08:06 am »
Thank you so much that was really helpful

Anytime :)
HSC 2017:
English (Advanced): 91    Legal Studies: 92    Modern History: 91    Studies of Religion 2: 90    Business Studies: 92

ATAR: 96.75

Need tutoring? Click here!

jasminesadiqi

• Adventurer
« Reply #1368 on: September 29, 2017, 01:00:28 pm »
hey for the 'contemporary human rights issues' there are a few issues listed.. do we have to know each issue? or can we just focus on one issue and know that in detail? because i am scared a question will come out as already mentioned a contemporary human rights issues for us to talk about? thank you

Korrasami

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #1369 on: September 29, 2017, 01:04:32 pm »
hey for the 'contemporary human rights issues' there are a few issues listed.. do we have to know each issue? or can we just focus on one issue and know that in detail? because i am scared a question will come out as already mentioned a contemporary human rights issues for us to talk about? thank you

I think knowing only one issue, would work best.

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #1370 on: September 29, 2017, 01:30:07 pm »

Yep you only pick one issue to focus on! ;D

paigek3

• Forum Obsessive
  • My name is Ella
  • Respect: +126
« Reply #1371 on: September 29, 2017, 04:47:04 pm »
Likeliness of crime question being on legal and non-legal responses :o :'( ??
HSC subjects
Advanced English | Extension 1 English | Extension 2 English | Legal Studies | PDHPE | Society and Culture | General 2 Maths

Need HSC tutoring, mentoring or essay marking? I'm offering all of that online! Check out all the offers, pricing and details here https://bandsevenhsctutoring.wordpress.com/blog/ and feel free to get in contact with me if you want any more info :)

alinak

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #1372 on: September 29, 2017, 05:01:32 pm »
+3
Family Law Articles on domestic violence and care and protection of children:

The Family Court has a serious attitude problem when it comes to domestic violence (SMH 2016)
http://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/news-and-views/opinion/the-family-court-has-a-serious-attitude-problem-when-it-comes-to-domestic-violence-20160501-goj6mg.html

About dismissal of domestic violence claims during custody and giving custody to the potential abusive parent, commenting judges seeing the the parent making claims of domestic violence as “unwilling to support their child’s relationship with the other parent”.
This article is an example of when the concept of maintaining a relationship with both parents under the family law reforms in 2006, has been given more weight than is warranted, seen when the comment ‘judges are overwhelmingly determining a child's best interests in a way that is "weighted more toward the parental rights of abusers than the safety of children."’ is made.
The article also suggests the laws attempt in resolving conflict in terms of custody has not been achieving just outcomes for family members due to the dismissal of domestic violence victims.

Mike Baird announces reform to state's broken child welfare system (smh 2016)
http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/mike-baird-announces-reform-to-states-broken-child-welfare-system-20161117-gsrbb6.html

This article is about the findings and changes intended to be made in relation to the child protection system. It addresses the lack of progress and evidence from support programs for children costing more than $300 million a year. The article is very useful in discussing the law’s role in initiating change in areas of care and protection of children and responding to ineffective legal measures put in place. The article mentions the findings of a review of the system including the statistic of “20,000 children are in out-of-home care in NSW, a number that has doubled in a decade”, this, as well as “the first stage of reform will be reducing the number of children in the states broken residential care system” can be used to show the law’s responsiveness to ineffective systems and practices, and the steps it is taking to provide a viable resolution (reflecting an effective legal response once changes are actually made).

Not sure if helpful or not but just something to add!

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
« Reply #1373 on: September 29, 2017, 05:04:31 pm »
+1
Family Law Articles on domestic violence and care and protection of children:

Not sure if helpful or not but just something to add!

hi, welcome to the forums!! these links certainly look very helpful - maybe post them in this link here :-) best of luck for your hsc! x
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 05:13:35 pm by fantasticbeasts3 »
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

sidzeman

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #1374 on: September 30, 2017, 04:10:25 pm »
Are essay questions regarding compliancy common in hsc's?

paigek3

• Forum Obsessive
  • My name is Ella
« Reply #1375 on: September 30, 2017, 04:24:23 pm »

From what I have seen looking at the questions from my options (family and world order), particularly world order, yes there has been a few over the years, it was also one of my trial questions
HSC subjects
Advanced English | Extension 1 English | Extension 2 English | Legal Studies | PDHPE | Society and Culture | General 2 Maths

Need HSC tutoring, mentoring or essay marking? I'm offering all of that online! Check out all the offers, pricing and details here https://bandsevenhsctutoring.wordpress.com/blog/ and feel free to get in contact with me if you want any more info :)

isaacdelatorre

• HSC Lecturer
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +74
« Reply #1376 on: September 30, 2017, 04:35:09 pm »
+1

Hey there :D

I agree with Paige, compliance is a very good topic for anything international related because there are many issues of non-compliance and state sovereignty which can limit the effectiveness of legal/non-legal measures.
However, you can look at compliance through the lens of offenders and say that current mechanisms are ineffective at promoting compliance since criminal conduct and recidivism still occurs.

Hope this helps!!! Definitely ask more questions and keen to read some of your responses :D
HSC 2016:   ATAR: 99+
Mathematics - 97    Economics - 96     Legal Studies - 95     Advanced English - 91    Business Studies - 95

2017: B Commerce/B Law @ UNSW  

jaskirat

• Adventurer
« Reply #1377 on: September 30, 2017, 05:17:39 pm »
I really need help in preparing my notes for world order, can comeone pls helppp and give me some tips on what to focus on!!

paigek3

• Forum Obsessive
  • My name is Ella
« Reply #1378 on: September 30, 2017, 05:19:35 pm »
I really need help in preparing my notes for world order, can comeone pls helppp and give me some tips on what to focus on!!

the syllabus is your bible!!! write your notes under each heading/dot point with a bit about what the dot point means and lots and lots of LCMID included. some notes are on here in the notes section so check them out if you wanna base them off something!
HSC subjects

sidzeman

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #1379 on: September 30, 2017, 05:28:47 pm »
Hey there :D

I agree with Paige, compliance is a very good topic for anything international related because there are many issues of non-compliance and state sovereignty which can limit the effectiveness of legal/non-legal measures.
However, you can look at compliance through the lens of offenders and say that current mechanisms are ineffective at promoting compliance since criminal conduct and recidivism still occurs.

Hope this helps!!! Definitely ask more questions and keen to read some of your responses :D

Compliancy seems really easy in regards to human rights due to state sovereignty, but what about for crime? For example if the question was how does the CJS encourage compliancy regarding young offenders, what could you discuss?