Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 12:21:22 pm

Author Topic: HSC Legal Studies Question Thread  (Read 572806 times)  Share 

Korrasami

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
Re: Legal Studies Question Thread
« Reply #1395 on: October 02, 2017, 09:00:19 pm »
Also quick question, does it matter if your case studies are old? Like for example dating back from the 1970s?

paigek3

• Forum Obsessive
  • My name is Ella
  • Respect: +126
« Reply #1396 on: October 02, 2017, 09:12:36 pm »
+4
Also quick question, does it matter if your case studies are old? Like for example dating back from the 1970s?

If they're setting precedents I reckon that is completely fine, and if they are quite unique in their ruling or circumstances. But of course if you are able to find similar case studies that are a bit more contemporary then maybe use those instead :)
HSC subjects
Advanced English | Extension 1 English | Extension 2 English | Legal Studies | PDHPE | Society and Culture | General 2 Maths

Need HSC tutoring, mentoring or essay marking? I'm offering all of that online! Check out all the offers, pricing and details here https://bandsevenhsctutoring.wordpress.com/blog/ and feel free to get in contact with me if you want any more info :)

kdawgs

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #1397 on: October 03, 2017, 04:48:58 pm »
Hai real quick question;

since periodic detention is no longer a sentencing option, is it required for us to know it/ will we need it/ is it worth making notes of?

MisterNeo

• MOTM: MAY 2017
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +454
« Reply #1398 on: October 03, 2017, 04:58:38 pm »
+2
Hai real quick question;

since periodic detention is no longer a sentencing option, is it required for us to know it/ will we need it/ is it worth making notes of?
I’d still make a note of it such that you know what it is. It may come up in multiple choice (it was in our trials). :)

hansolo9

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #1399 on: October 03, 2017, 06:15:36 pm »
Hello
Our teacher hasn’t really went through transnational crime in too much detail, and I was wondering what the legal and non-legal measures are to it. What would be the main points in an essay that asked legal/nonlegal?
Thank you :)

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
« Reply #1400 on: October 03, 2017, 06:36:41 pm »
+3
Hello
Our teacher hasn’t really went through transnational crime in too much detail, and I was wondering what the legal and non-legal measures are to it. What would be the main points in an essay that asked legal/nonlegal?
Thank you :)

hey! no worries, i'll give you those :-)

- People smuggling – Criminal Code 1995, organises and facilitates the entry of people into a foreign country in a manner that does not comply with that country’s laws
- Arms and drug trafficking – Criminal Code 1995 amended in 2002 to deal with firearms trafficking across territory and state borders
- Drug trafficking – Crimes (Traffic in Narcotic and Psychotropic Substances) Act 1990 (Cth) creates offences dealing with drugs on Australian aircraft and ships and conspiracies outside of Australia to commit offences in Australia
- Money Laundering – Anti-Money Laundering and Counter-Terrorism Financing Act 2006 (Cth)

this is just australian legislation - i have no idea where i put all the international law stuff in my notes - but if you have a textbook, this and the international law should be in there. another thing, crime isn't really dealt with in a non-legal manner because it's not the responsibility of NGOs to stop crime; it's the country's legal system!

hope this helps, and best of luck with your hsc,
fantasticbeasts
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

caitlinlddouglas

• Trendsetter
« Reply #1401 on: October 05, 2017, 03:51:31 pm »
Hi I was just doing some multiple choice and I came across 2 questions that stumped me:

1. Which of the following is considered an argument against the passing of an Australian HR act?
a) it's too difficult to pass as it needs a majority of voters in a majority of States.
b) It transfers power from the legislature to unelected members of the jury
c) It would quickly become outdated.
The answer is b) but I thought it would have been c)?

2.What is true about sentencing in NSW?
a) minimum sentences have been determined in legislation
b) Maximum legislation has been set in legislation
c) Judges must follow judicial guidelines
d) The jury recommends sentences to the judge
The answer is b) but aren't there mandatory minimum sentences as well, ie assault from a strike to the head causing death (one punch laws)?
Thanks! :D

camillablome

• Adventurer
« Reply #1402 on: October 05, 2017, 05:12:56 pm »
Hi,
This is in regards to the essays for option topics. Im doing world order and Global Environmental Protection.

My structure for the essays is to have:
Intro
Paragraph on state sovereignty (If the question asks about state sovereignty)
Case study 1- Rwanda (address syllabus points within case study and talk about broader issues e.g. United nations, R2P, relate to other cases e.g. myanmar refugees)
Case Study 2- Libya (same thing as above)
Conclusion

my teacher who is an HSC marker says that, that structure is very good. However, from reading other essays they are not structured via cases.
I was just wondering if you think I should change the structure or its fine how it is?

Thankyou!!

caitlinlddouglas

• Trendsetter
« Reply #1403 on: October 05, 2017, 05:22:44 pm »
Hey guys for world order I'm slightly confused about the dot point"outline the evolving nature of World order". In some resources it justs outlines the development of legal documents eg treaty of Westphalia, but in my excel book it doesn't do that- it talks about expansionism, the rise of the US and transnational companies , then interdependence and globalisation. I was wondering which I actually needed to know? Thanks heaps!

caitlinlddouglas

• Trendsetter
« Reply #1404 on: October 05, 2017, 05:24:33 pm »
Hi,
This is in regards to the essays for option topics. Im doing world order and Global Environmental Protection.

My structure for the essays is to have:
Intro
Paragraph on state sovereignty (If the question asks about state sovereignty)
Case study 1- Rwanda (address syllabus points within case study and talk about broader issues e.g. United nations, R2P, relate to other cases e.g. myanmar refugees)
Case Study 2- Libya (same thing as above)
Conclusion

my teacher who is an HSC marker says that, that structure is very good. However, from reading other essays they are not structured via cases.
I was just wondering if you think I should change the structure or its fine how it is?

Thankyou!!

Hey that looks like sounds like such a good idea! I guess if it fits all of the issues with the themes and challenges you would be pretty sweet

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #1405 on: October 05, 2017, 08:07:42 pm »
+4
Hey guys for world order I'm slightly confused about the dot point"outline the evolving nature of World order". In some resources it justs outlines the development of legal documents eg treaty of Westphalia, but in my excel book it doesn't do that- it talks about expansionism, the rise of the US and transnational companies , then interdependence and globalisation. I was wondering which I actually needed to know? Thanks heaps!

It sounds like what your Excel book is telling you is helpful for you to understand the macro and micro contributors of the way the world is today, and I think it's really important to look at ideas like globalisation especially. But you will also do a great job with just knowing the things like the Treaty of Westphalia, as these give the legal foundations of the way we look at world order. The other things help to understand why the world is the way it is, which is helpful, but you'll mainly need to know the other things (and this isn't something super examinable. They could ask you about this but I'd only imagine they would in the light of this and a secondary part of the syllabus. Like, how have international documents responded to the changing nature of world order" and then you don't just bring in those historical elements of the evolution, but you could talk about the current situation and things like the NPT!)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

caitlinlddouglas

• Trendsetter
« Reply #1406 on: October 06, 2017, 07:36:50 am »
It sounds like what your Excel book is telling you is helpful for you to understand the macro and micro contributors of the way the world is today, and I think it's really important to look at ideas like globalisation especially. But you will also do a great job with just knowing the things like the Treaty of Westphalia, as these give the legal foundations of the way we look at world order. The other things help to understand why the world is the way it is, which is helpful, but you'll mainly need to know the other things (and this isn't something super examinable. They could ask you about this but I'd only imagine they would in the light of this and a secondary part of the syllabus. Like, how have international documents responded to the changing nature of world order" and then you don't just bring in those historical elements of the evolution, but you could talk about the current situation and things like the NPT!)
Thanks a lot!! :)

Bubbly_bluey

• Trendsetter
  • Just Floating By :)
  • Respect: +10
« Reply #1407 on: October 06, 2017, 10:38:49 am »
hey guys!
what's the difference between a suspended sentence and intensive correction order as a type of punishment? They both look pretty similar :/
Thanks!! :D

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
« Reply #1408 on: October 06, 2017, 10:57:25 am »
+2
hey guys!
what's the difference between a suspended sentence and intensive correction order as a type of punishment? They both look pretty similar :/
Thanks!! :D

hi! a suspended sentence is pretty self-explanatory if you look at what it's called - suspended means not right now, so the sentence has been put off for a bit. i have never heard of an intensive correction order until this question (not in the syllabus??) but from a quick google, it looks something like community service. that's accumulated over a certain period of time, as you need a number of hours to get through it as part of someone's sentence. anyway, a suspended sentence would mean the sentence isn't served right at that moment, whereas an intensive correction order would be put into place to be served straight away.

hope this helps - best of luck with your hsc,
fantasticbeasts
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

paigek3

• Forum Obsessive
  • My name is Ella
  • Respect: +126
« Reply #1409 on: October 06, 2017, 11:16:20 am »
+1
hi! a suspended sentence is pretty self-explanatory if you look at what it's called - suspended means not right now, so the sentence has been put off for a bit. i have never heard of an intensive correction order until this question (not in the syllabus??) but from a quick google, it looks something like community service. that's accumulated over a certain period of time, as you need a number of hours to get through it as part of someone's sentence. anyway, a suspended sentence would mean the sentence isn't served right at that moment, whereas an intensive correction order would be put into place to be served straight away.

hope this helps - best of luck with your hsc,
fantasticbeasts

The syllabus lists periodic detention and that has been replaced by ICOs so that’s what our teacher taught us in place of periodic detention (I’m pretty sure at least). Personally my teacher stressed ICOs heaps and we had quite an in-depth look at the statistics around them, so in many of my essays I include them. Could maybe elyse or jamon clear up if ICOs need to be studied and can be used in an exam?? Because I’m screwed if we aren’t meant to 😅
HSC subjects
Advanced English | Extension 1 English | Extension 2 English | Legal Studies | PDHPE | Society and Culture | General 2 Maths

Need HSC tutoring, mentoring or essay marking? I'm offering all of that online! Check out all the offers, pricing and details here https://bandsevenhsctutoring.wordpress.com/blog/ and feel free to get in contact with me if you want any more info :)