Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 01:58:38 pm

Author Topic: HSC Legal Studies Question Thread  (Read 572816 times)  Share 

sidzeman

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +2
Re: Legal Studies Question Thread
« Reply #1500 on: October 26, 2017, 09:54:44 pm »
For the different categories of crime e.g. offences against the person and all the crimes within that e.g. murder, manslaughter - do you need to know the max sentences for all of these? Ik that these 2 examples are easy, but memorising the max sentence for a death by reckless driving charge just seems so minute and unimportant
Also, are principals in the 2nd degree required to be present during the carrying out of the crime?
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 10:15:06 pm by sidzeman »

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
« Reply #1501 on: October 26, 2017, 10:32:45 pm »
+3
Hey everyone!
Just wondering, how is everyone preparing for the HSC legal studies exam?
What's the next step after knowing all your content and whats the most efficient process to prepare?
I feel like writing different essays is too time consuming?! What are your thoughts?
Are essay plans enough for preparation?
Sorry, Im just really stressed because the style of studying for legal is completely different from my other subjects and its quite tricky!

Thankyou in advance :)  ;D

hi! past papers are the best way to prepare, but if you really can't be bothered writing essays, essay plans are a decent substitute - but they don't measure up to actually writing an essay. if you have a whiteboard, writing all your LCMs there is a good idea. answering questions here on the forums and teaching your friends is also a really great way to study. you can talk about essay questions and how you would answer them, which really gets you to practice arguing - setting you up for when you write an essay!

best of luck,
fantasticbeasts

Hi!

In reference to crime and the criminal investigation process, how long can a suspect be detained before they either have to be charged or released? My textbook says 4 hours or 8 if a warrant is applied for, but my teacher said that that might have changed in the last year to 6 hours. Does anyone know?

Thanks!

hey! i did a bit of research on this just then, and your textbook seems to be right! link to where i found this information here :-)

For the different categories of crime e.g. offences against the person and all the crimes within that e.g. murder, manslaughter - do you need to know the max sentences for all of these? Ik that these 2 examples are easy, but memorising the max sentence for a death by reckless driving charge just seems so minute and unimportant
Also, are principals in the 2nd degree required to be present during the carrying out of the crime?

if you think it's not that important to remember it, go with your instincts :-) it could be a great detail to use. i've never memorised any maximum sentences for any crime this year, and this year has been pretty alright... but yea.

yea, principals in the 2nd degree are present during the crime, because if you're an accessory to the crime, that person is there to plan or maybe help out after.

best of luck everyone,
fantasticbeasts
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

Justinhales

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #1502 on: October 27, 2017, 01:28:34 pm »
+2
Hey guys!!

Sorry bit of a lame question, but does media fall under as a 'non-legal' measure??

thanks!!  ;D

paigek3

• Forum Obsessive
  • My name is Ella
  • Respect: +126
« Reply #1503 on: October 27, 2017, 01:32:49 pm »
+1
Hey guys!!

Sorry bit of a lame question, but does media fall under as a 'non-legal' measure??

thanks!!  ;D

Not a lame question at all! But yes, it is a non legal measure :)
HSC subjects
Advanced English | Extension 1 English | Extension 2 English | Legal Studies | PDHPE | Society and Culture | General 2 Maths

Need HSC tutoring, mentoring or essay marking? I'm offering all of that online! Check out all the offers, pricing and details here https://bandsevenhsctutoring.wordpress.com/blog/ and feel free to get in contact with me if you want any more info :)

Justinhales

• Adventurer
« Reply #1504 on: October 27, 2017, 01:41:07 pm »
+2
Not a lame question at all! But yes, it is a non legal measure :)
Thanks heaps paigek3!!  :)

sidzeman

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #1505 on: October 27, 2017, 02:01:55 pm »
+1
This has always tripped me up but for Australia, does ratifying a treaty make it enforceable? I know that when incorporated into domestic legislation a treaty is enforceable, I'm just unsure if that is what ratifying means or if ratifying is only a declaration of support for the treaty

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
« Reply #1506 on: October 27, 2017, 02:17:07 pm »
+1
This has always tripped me up but for Australia, does ratifying a treaty make it enforceable? I know that when incorporated into domestic legislation a treaty is enforceable, I'm just unsure if that is what ratifying means or if ratifying is only a declaration of support for the treaty

my understanding of the word 'ratify' just means a country signs a treaty/declaration/convention, assuming that it will actually be put it into law - so yea, as you said, it would be a declaration of support for what's been signed. :-)
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

Bee Uddin

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #1507 on: October 27, 2017, 02:27:00 pm »
+2

For the first part of this question, I've never been one to memorise maximum penalties for every single crime so hopefully they won't ask for that this year. Also a principal in the second degree (from my understanding of what I've been taught) doesn't have to physically be present at the crime scene, they could be on the phone with the principal in the first degree and instructing them on what to do. But yes they do need to assist during the carrying out of the crime. Hope that helps :)

Justinhales

• Adventurer
« Reply #1508 on: October 27, 2017, 02:38:02 pm »
+2
So, just to get this straight!!

Is the NSW Office of Fair Trading a 'legal measure' or 'non-legal measure'??

Ta!  :D

~BK~

• Trendsetter
  • "Bibia be ye ye"- all will be well!
  • Respect: +24
« Reply #1509 on: October 27, 2017, 03:15:34 pm »
+2
So, just to get this straight!!

Is the NSW Office of Fair Trading a 'legal measure' or 'non-legal measure'??

Ta!  :D
hey justin  ;)
i think the office of fair trading is a legal measure..
it was set up by the NSW govt and is a govt department...
... i'm pretty sure maybe not tho?
if anyone thinks otherwise please say!!  ;D
BRING ON NOV 2nd ;D

Justinhales

• Adventurer
« Reply #1510 on: October 27, 2017, 03:27:29 pm »
+2
hey justin  ;)
i think the office of fair trading is a legal measure..
it was set up by the NSW govt and is a govt department...
... i'm pretty sure maybe not tho?
if anyone thinks otherwise please say!!  ;D
Thanks BK, whoever u might be  :P  :D
I thort the same, was just making sure!!  :)

caitlinlddouglas

• Trendsetter
« Reply #1511 on: October 27, 2017, 03:56:13 pm »
Hey! Just a few questions:
 I wasn wondering if we had to know domestic measures/instruments with relation to the development of peace rights? All my notes are focused on international stuff!

Also how would I talk about state sovereignty actually promoting human rights, as opposed to enforcing them?
And with regard to the enforcing' of human rights can we say that the ICC enforces human rights through the sentences (for cases involved with human rights violations) it imposes or is this just promoting them because it establishes an international legal precedent?
Thanks heaps!:)
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 09:39:12 pm by caitlinlddouglas »

SSSS

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #1512 on: October 27, 2017, 04:29:26 pm »
Hey, how do measures promote peace and resolve conflicts (world order)? Thanks!!

mylinh-nguyen

• Forum Regular
« Reply #1513 on: October 27, 2017, 10:56:33 pm »
do you think this point in the syllabus could be asked for the crime response 'examine the reporting and investigating of crime' I feel like there's not much to write for the reporting part

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #1514 on: October 28, 2017, 12:35:44 am »
Hey! Just a few questions:
 I wasn wondering if we had to know domestic measures/instruments with relation to the development of peace rights? All my notes are focused on international stuff!

You should be alright with just international ;D

Also how would I talk about state sovereignty actually promoting human rights, as opposed to enforcing them?

That's a tough one, but you could say that state sovereignty allows nation states to support programs that promote human rights - Including UN initiatives? :)

And with regard to the enforcing' of human rights can we say that the ICC enforces human rights through the sentences (for cases involved with human rights violations) it imposes or is this just promoting them because it establishes an international legal precedent?
Thanks heaps!:)

You could say it does both! :)