Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 06:02:46 am

Author Topic: HSC Legal Studies Question Thread  (Read 572763 times)  Share 

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: Legal Studies Question Thread
« Reply #1515 on: October 28, 2017, 12:39:26 am »
+1
Hey, how do measures promote peace and resolve conflicts (world order)? Thanks!!

Take a look at some contemporary examples (EG - North Korea) and examine how things like the UNSC, UNGA, IGO's (etc) try to diffuse those world order situations. Essentially any 'response' to a world order issue is designed to resolve some sort of conflict, and thus promote peace ;D

do you think this point in the syllabus could be asked for the crime response 'examine the reporting and investigating of crime' I feel like there's not much to write for the reporting part

The criminal investigation process as a whole is definitely fair game for an essay question, but they won't ask just on reporting. That said, the percentage of crimes reported is definitely a good thing to discuss (indicative of the accessibility of the justice system) ;D

Evil.Morty

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #1516 on: October 28, 2017, 02:04:48 am »
Hi guys,

can anyone please clear up for me the current bail laws, im finding it all very confusing.

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #1517 on: October 28, 2017, 02:20:55 am »
+1
Hi guys,

can anyone please clear up for me the current bail laws, im finding it all very confusing.

Hey! Essentially the old ideas of 'presumptions' for and against bail is now gone. It is replaced by a test of risk - Does releasing the offender until their trial pose an unacceptable risk to the community? Presumption against bail does still exist in a form called the show cause test, which is only for some crimes.

This diagram explains it nicely:

caitlinlddouglas

• Trendsetter
« Reply #1518 on: October 28, 2017, 07:02:33 am »
You should be alright with just international ;D

That's a tough one, but you could say that state sovereignty allows nation states to support programs that promote human rights - Including UN initiatives? :)

You could say it does both! :)
Thanks a lot! :)

paigek3

• Forum Obsessive
  • My name is Ella
  • Respect: +126
« Reply #1519 on: October 28, 2017, 12:55:32 pm »
Can someone please explain to me why the answer for this question is C and not D? Because they aren't allowed to question the girls as they are under 18 and do not have their parents with them on the train?
HSC subjects
Advanced English | Extension 1 English | Extension 2 English | Legal Studies | PDHPE | Society and Culture | General 2 Maths

Need HSC tutoring, mentoring or essay marking? I'm offering all of that online! Check out all the offers, pricing and details here https://bandsevenhsctutoring.wordpress.com/blog/ and feel free to get in contact with me if you want any more info :)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #1520 on: October 28, 2017, 01:42:35 pm »
+1
Can someone please explain to me why the answer for this question is C and not D? Because they aren't allowed to question the girls as they are under 18 and do not have their parents with them on the train?

The police asking questions isn't necessary a proper interrogation, so it isn't governed by the same rules! There is a bit of a distinction there and it is unlikely their answers would be permissible evidence, but asking them questions is definitely okay :)

On the other hand, Kim and Ashley can't be forced to go to the police station - They'd have to be arrested and they haven't committed an offence! :)

Korrasami

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #1521 on: October 28, 2017, 01:55:05 pm »
Hey does anyone have a case study for covert search warrants that call into question the right to privacy? Trying to prepare a law reform essay...
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 02:32:27 pm by Korrasami »

bimberfairy

• Trendsetter
  • Dedicate the present to working on yourself
  • Respect: +36
« Reply #1522 on: October 28, 2017, 01:57:45 pm »
+1
The police asking questions isn't necessary a proper interrogation, so it isn't governed by the same rules! There is a bit of a distinction there and it is unlikely their answers would be permissible evidence, but asking them questions is definitely okay :)

On the other hand, Kim and Ashley can't be forced to go to the police station - They'd have to be arrested and they haven't committed an offence! :)

I'm just gonna continue off on what Jamon wrote but basically, to arrest someone, the police need to have a legitimate reason. The girls only have the spray paint cans, which they haven't done anything with yet. And I believe the police are assuming that they'll go spray some graffiti, but even then, that's not a real reason to arrest them since the action hasn't been committed yet.
HSC 2017: Mathematics Extension | Mathematics Advanced | English Advanced | Biology | Legal Studies | Business Studies
2018: Bachelor of Commerce/Advanced Studies (Dalyell Scholars) @ USYD

"Everyone's fighting a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always."

paigek3

• Forum Obsessive
  • My name is Ella
  • Respect: +126
« Reply #1523 on: October 28, 2017, 02:21:22 pm »

I'm just gonna continue off on what Jamon wrote but basically, to arrest someone, the police need to have a legitimate reason. The girls only have the spray paint cans, which they haven't done anything with yet. And I believe the police are assuming that they'll go spray some graffiti, but even then, that's not a real reason to arrest them since the action hasn't been committed yet.

Ahh I see, thank you both for clearing that up!
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 02:25:17 pm by paigek3 »
HSC subjects
Advanced English | Extension 1 English | Extension 2 English | Legal Studies | PDHPE | Society and Culture | General 2 Maths

Need HSC tutoring, mentoring or essay marking? I'm offering all of that online! Check out all the offers, pricing and details here https://bandsevenhsctutoring.wordpress.com/blog/ and feel free to get in contact with me if you want any more info :)

rachelmassar

• Adventurer
  • School: Rouse Hill Anglican College
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #1524 on: October 28, 2017, 03:47:59 pm »
Someone please help!!
In what circumstances do police need a warrant for an arrest?

bimberfairy

• Trendsetter
  • Dedicate the present to working on yourself
  • Respect: +36
« Reply #1525 on: October 28, 2017, 04:00:46 pm »
+1
Someone please help!!
In what circumstances do police need a warrant for an arrest?

Arrest warrants are given to the police to arrest a person when the court has been convinced that there is evidence that an offence may have been committed by a suspect. Police need to provide legitimate reason for the purpose of the arrest, and the purpose has to be on reasonable grounds. Despite this, police can also arrest a person without a warrant if they believe on reasonable grounds that a person has committed, is about to commit, or was caught committing a crime.

Hopefully this helps! Maybe other people can contribute further to my response haha
HSC 2017: Mathematics Extension | Mathematics Advanced | English Advanced | Biology | Legal Studies | Business Studies
2018: Bachelor of Commerce/Advanced Studies (Dalyell Scholars) @ USYD

"Everyone's fighting a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always."

rachelmassar

• Adventurer
« Reply #1526 on: October 28, 2017, 04:22:32 pm »
Arrest warrants are given to the police to arrest a person when the court has been convinced that there is evidence that an offence may have been committed by a suspect. Police need to provide legitimate reason for the purpose of the arrest, and the purpose has to be on reasonable grounds. Despite this, police can also arrest a person without a warrant if they believe on reasonable grounds that a person has committed, is about to commit, or was caught committing a crime.

Hopefully this helps! Maybe other people can contribute further to my response haha

That's great thank you!!! :D

rachelmassar

• Adventurer
« Reply #1527 on: October 28, 2017, 04:25:10 pm »
Can someone please explain why it's B and not C?!?! I understand laws need to be known but seems overly subjective to me? This is 2010 HSC so not sure if it's old syllabus.

Also, are environmental rights collective rights? Also comes up in multiple choice with self-determination which is the obvious answer, but I thought the right to a safe and comfortable environment is a collective right for society?

Post merge! :)
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 04:36:09 pm by jamonwindeyer »

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #1528 on: October 28, 2017, 04:38:17 pm »
Can someone please explain why it's B and not C?!?! I understand laws need to be known but seems overly subjective to me? This is 2010 HSC so not sure if it's old syllabus.

Also, are environmental rights collective rights? Also comes up in multiple choice with self-determination which is the obvious answer, but I thought the right to a safe and comfortable environment is a collective right for society?

Old syllabus!! And yep, environmental are a collective right ;D

Korrasami

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #1529 on: October 28, 2017, 05:48:11 pm »
Hey does anyone have a case study for covert search warrants that call into question the right to privacy? Trying to prepare a law reform essay...

Anyone?