Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 12:11:32 pm

Author Topic: HSC Legal Studies Question Thread  (Read 572806 times)  Share 

jayraval

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Re: Legal Studies Question Thread
« Reply #1560 on: October 29, 2017, 09:46:40 pm »
Hey guys!
So for my option topics, I have family and workplace. Do you think I would be okay if I understood my theory and memorised my lists of evidence for contemporary issues ONLY, and then practiced only contemporary issues essays in the hope that they ask about contemporary issues or have a question where I can use the evidence I have learnt from contemporary issues? I have gone through every HSC paper since 2012 and I have been able to use my contemporary issues evidence, so will that be okay? Or would you recommend going through each and every dotpoint of my option topics and learning evidence for each and every dotpoint?

Thankyou!

Korrasami

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #1561 on: October 29, 2017, 09:51:50 pm »
Hey guys!
So for my option topics, I have family and workplace. Do you think I would be okay if I understood my theory and memorised my lists of evidence for contemporary issues ONLY, and then practiced only contemporary issues essays in the hope that they ask about contemporary issues or have a question where I can use the evidence I have learnt from contemporary issues? I have gone through every HSC paper since 2012 and I have been able to use my contemporary issues evidence, so will that be okay? Or would you recommend going through each and every dotpoint of my option topics and learning evidence for each and every dotpoint?

Thankyou!

My teacher said, that they usually ask one general question from the themes and challenges, and a specific one relating to the contemporary issue. Personally, I've found that using a contemporary issue works well with any general questions, so relying on a contemporary issue for your essay shouldn't be a problem.
However, do try and know the themes and challenges :)

jayraval

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #1562 on: October 29, 2017, 10:13:48 pm »
My teacher said, that they usually ask one general question from the themes and challenges, and a specific one relating to the contemporary issue. Personally, I've found that using a contemporary issue works well with any general questions, so relying on a contemporary issue for your essay shouldn't be a problem.
However, do try and know the themes and challenges :)

Okay thankyou so so much!

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #1563 on: October 29, 2017, 10:39:44 pm »
+1
hey again!
so im drafting my crime essay based on prevention being more effective than punishment, so the first syllabus dotpoint, but im missing the link with international documents, are you guys aware of any particular articles that may be relevant? thankyou

You could perhaps link in to the ICCPR somehow, or maybe you could address young offenders specifically and say prevention is the best way of upholding rights within CROC?

Noorijaz

• Adventurer
« Reply #1564 on: October 30, 2017, 02:39:17 am »
hi

can you provide advice on how to cram legal?
i tend to be able to waffle a lot and thats how i get a rough mark of 80 with little study.
please provide advice, considering i have chem exam as well

thanks

hansolo9

• Forum Regular
« Reply #1565 on: October 30, 2017, 09:37:25 am »
Hey guys

If I were writing a body paragraph about police powers and their increasing powers against protesting, could I say that it's against Australia's obligation of the ICCPR A19 on freedom of expression?

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
« Reply #1566 on: October 30, 2017, 09:55:57 am »
+2
hi

can you provide advice on how to cram legal?
i tend to be able to waffle a lot and thats how i get a rough mark of 80 with little study.
please provide advice, considering i have chem exam as well

thanks

- if you can, print out a new set of notes and highlight them again. you're under pressure, so you actually read the notes and absorb the content.
- essay plans! i can't tell you how many times these have saved me throughout the year when cramming. you're more likely to remember syllabus points and other content related things!
- teaching other people. get your friends on a group chat, and just test each other. you can even be online here to answer other people's questions :-)

hope this helps,
fantasticbeasts

Hey guys

If I were writing a body paragraph about police powers and their increasing powers against protesting, could I say that it's against Australia's obligation of the ICCPR A19 on freedom of expression?

hi!

personally, i wouldn't say it's against ICCPR, but instead, limits people's rights on freedom of expression, only because people can still protest!

all the best,
fantasticbeasts
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

caitlinlddouglas

• Trendsetter
« Reply #1567 on: October 30, 2017, 10:59:21 am »
Hey! Is the UN High Commissioner for Refugees considered a non legal response for the contemporary issue of Asylum seekers? Thanks:)

rodero

• Forum Obsessive
  • Professional quote and statistic generator
  • Respect: +81
« Reply #1568 on: October 30, 2017, 11:12:14 am »
+1

Hey! Is the UN High Commissioner for Refugees considered a non legal response for the contemporary issue of Asylum seekers? Thanks:)

I believe that is the administrative body of the UN Secretariat. Since this is a branch of the UN, it would be a legal measure
HSC 2017:
English (Advanced): 91    Legal Studies: 92    Modern History: 91    Studies of Religion 2: 90    Business Studies: 92

ATAR: 96.75

Need tutoring? Click here!

Korrasami

• Forum Regular
« Reply #1569 on: October 30, 2017, 11:19:13 am »
How are you guys going in prepping for Legal? All I'm doing is basically writing practice essays for possible questions that may be asked, improving my understanding of HR and Crime :)

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #1570 on: October 30, 2017, 11:52:34 am »
+1
How are you guys going in prepping for Legal? All I'm doing is basically writing practice essays for possible questions that may be asked, improving my understanding of HR and Crime :)

MC is my weakest section, so i've been doing heaps of MC questions over the past 2 days :-) once i feel a bit more confident, i'm going to do some essays!

all the best,
fantasticbeasts
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies

hansolo9

• Forum Regular
« Reply #1571 on: October 30, 2017, 12:03:58 pm »
Hi.  :) If there were a question on the juries, could you mention the issues of peremptory challenge and how it reduces the public trust in the legal system which causes lower rates of crime reporting. Or is that a bit off-topic?

Also, what points could I talk about if there were a Crime question on "Nature of Crime"?
Thanks

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #1572 on: October 30, 2017, 12:39:15 pm »
+1
Hi.  :) If there were a question on the juries, could you mention the issues of peremptory challenge and how it reduces the public trust in the legal system which causes lower rates of crime reporting. Or is that a bit off-topic?

Also, what points could I talk about if there were a Crime question on "Nature of Crime"?
Thanks

hello! if there is a question asked about juries, it would probably be about evaluating the role of the jury in the criminal trial, so that would work :-)

as for nature of crime... i have no clue. all the "students learn to" points are lower-order verbs, so i highly doubt you'd be asked an essay question on that.

all the best,
fantasticbeasts

Korrasami

• Forum Regular
« Reply #1573 on: October 30, 2017, 01:18:18 pm »
MC is my weakest section, so i've been doing heaps of MC questions over the past 2 days :-) once i feel a bit more confident, i'm going to do some essays!

all the best,
fantasticbeasts

Good planning! I think focusing on what you're struggling the most is a good way of preparing for the exam. I'm the opposite, I do pretty well in MC, however the essays completely stuff me up!

oliviamarie

• Adventurer
« Reply #1574 on: October 30, 2017, 03:11:05 pm »
In a law reform essay to what extent is arguing that introduction of new legislations effective? I'm finding I can go into way more detail in this way rather than just acts that have had amendments. Let me know what you think!