Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 04:37:51 am

Author Topic: HSC Legal Studies Question Thread  (Read 572753 times)  Share 

marcusgrahamm

• Forum Regular
  • --
  • Respect: 0
Re: Legal Studies Question Thread
« Reply #1605 on: October 31, 2017, 09:28:20 am »
I was wondering what three areas you guys feel are the best to discuss in a crime law reform question i.e bail, provocation, LEPRA etc. ??
Business Studies-89

Legal Studies-93

Modern History-93

Society And Culture-93

Advanced English-93

Ext 1 Eng- 42

ATAR: 96.95

justdoit

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #1606 on: October 31, 2017, 09:46:18 am »
I was wondering what three areas you guys feel are the best to discuss in a crime law reform question i.e bail, provocation, LEPRA etc. ??
hey! in my law reform essay which i got 14/15 (lacked international treaties), i spoke about the criminal code act 1987, which was amended to change the way evidence was obtained in court (division 3 of the act stated that evedence could only be issued IN court, and later, victim considerations were prioritised hence why courts now allow in camera obtaining of evidence so that its in private, and also allows for the use of visual recording and audio recording of evidence)  , particularly for sexual offence. in the same point about evidence you could also mention s26 of the crimes act 1900 which introduced the use of victim impact statements under s26 of the crimes (sentening and procedure act). i also wrote about juries, it was amended to change unanimous verdict to majority verdict (10/1, 11/1). also, the bail act which was reformed to eradicate the presumption of bail for sex offenders (common law-man monis "sydney siege 2014" [smh]), also, on a larger more ethical scale, you can write about the abolitionism of capital punishment with the death penalty abolition act1973 which essentially highlights arts 6 of ICCPR 'right to live'. you could also discuss the one punch rule, due to R v loveridge, in which a general deterrence was the demise of the life sentence to any offender who punches an individual on the head. one last point i have is the amendment of criminal code act 1999, to criminal code amendment (trafficking in persons) act 2005 which passed divisions 270 and 271 essentially to protect victims from sex trafficking, slavery, forced labour and also trade of human organs! good luck :)

justdoit

• Trailblazer
« Reply #1607 on: October 31, 2017, 09:48:05 am »

my bad, victim impact statements are under s26 of crimes sentencing procedure act 1999

sophiegmaher

• Forum Regular
« Reply #1608 on: October 31, 2017, 09:52:51 am »
Hey! In the 2013 Human Rights short answer question "Explain how changing values have been reflected in the promotion and enforcement of ONE human rights issue" would it be okay to discuss a contemporary human rights issue such as Child Soldiers, or do you HAVE to relate to the abolition of slavery, etc? Like I feel like either would answer the question, because you can discuss how in each circumstance child soldiers and slavery were legal however they have been outlawed in recent years due to the changing values of our society.
HSC 2017 - Legal | Bio | Eco | Advanced English | Advanced Maths | 1U Religion

rachelmassar

• Adventurer
  • School: Rouse Hill Anglican College
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #1609 on: October 31, 2017, 10:17:17 am »
Hey guys!
For a question on compliance and non-compliance in the criminal justice system, what would be the best issues to discuss? I would talk about mandatory sentencing relative to deterrence, but would need 2 more topics.

sophiegmaher

• Forum Regular
« Reply #1610 on: October 31, 2017, 10:23:21 am »
+2
Hey guys!
For a question on compliance and non-compliance in the criminal justice system, what would be the best issues to discuss? I would talk about mandatory sentencing relative to deterrence, but would need 2 more topics.

Hey! I would personally discuss sentencing and punishment as you said, also relative to the penalties that rely on compliance like bonds, home detention as well as bail- here you could discuss the reforms in the Bail Act 2013 (NSW) to further encourage compliance, as well as remand which is used when bail is refused due to the offender's potential for non-compliance. I would also discuss international law, as I feel like this heavily relies on compliance of sovereign states to ratify and enact international instruments, where state sovereignty is a limitation to the international customary law that can be constructed. And then in each circumstance, I would discuss how non-compliance is punished by incapacitation or punishments in general. For me, I usually don't have enough time to do 3 topics so I like to do 2 topics in depth, so I feel like this could cover you in the 15 marker essay :) Hope that helps!
HSC 2017 - Legal | Bio | Eco | Advanced English | Advanced Maths | 1U Religion

Korrasami

• Forum Regular
« Reply #1611 on: October 31, 2017, 10:32:32 am »
Any predictions for family option? They asked surrogacy and birth technologies last year...I bet is on care and protection. What do you guys think?

paigek3

• Forum Obsessive
  • My name is Ella
  • Respect: +126
« Reply #1612 on: October 31, 2017, 10:49:31 am »
+2
Hey! In the 2013 Human Rights short answer question "Explain how changing values have been reflected in the promotion and enforcement of ONE human rights issue" would it be okay to discuss a contemporary human rights issue such as Child Soldiers, or do you HAVE to relate to the abolition of slavery, etc? Like I feel like either would answer the question, because you can discuss how in each circumstance child soldiers and slavery were legal however they have been outlawed in recent years due to the changing values of our society.

Pretty sure you do have to use one of the issues listed with abolition of slavery, universal suffrage etc. as the question does not specify a 'contemporary' issue

Any predictions for family option? They asked surrogacy and birth technologies last year...I bet is on care and protection. What do you guys think?

Yeah I was thinking that also, or the changing nature of parental responsibility or compliance and non compliance possibly
HSC subjects
Advanced English | Extension 1 English | Extension 2 English | Legal Studies | PDHPE | Society and Culture | General 2 Maths

Need HSC tutoring, mentoring or essay marking? I'm offering all of that online! Check out all the offers, pricing and details here https://bandsevenhsctutoring.wordpress.com/blog/ and feel free to get in contact with me if you want any more info :)

~BK~

• Trendsetter
  • "Bibia be ye ye"- all will be well!
  • Respect: +24
« Reply #1613 on: October 31, 2017, 10:57:52 am »
hey...
i was wondering how important are statistics in our essays?!
they do help to back up an argument, especially in an effectiveness or law reform essay, buuuut they are really hard to remember and just didnt know how necessary they were!?
tia.
BRING ON NOV 2nd ;D

paigek3

• Forum Obsessive
  • My name is Ella
  • Respect: +126
« Reply #1614 on: October 31, 2017, 11:03:37 am »
+3
hey...
they do help to back up an argument, especially in an effectiveness or law reform essay, buuuut they are really hard to remember and just didnt know how necessary they were!?
tia.

They aren't essential, but they are extremely useful. If you have a hard time remembering them, round them up/down e.g. "nearly half of..." or "over 40,000..."
HSC subjects
Advanced English | Extension 1 English | Extension 2 English | Legal Studies | PDHPE | Society and Culture | General 2 Maths

Need HSC tutoring, mentoring or essay marking? I'm offering all of that online! Check out all the offers, pricing and details here https://bandsevenhsctutoring.wordpress.com/blog/ and feel free to get in contact with me if you want any more info :)

justdoit

• Trailblazer
« Reply #1615 on: October 31, 2017, 11:04:18 am »
+4
hey...
tia.
yeeeesssss have atleast 3 statistics to back up your claims, it is what diffrentiates  between a band 5 and 6

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1151
« Reply #1616 on: October 31, 2017, 11:05:49 am »
hey
any predictions for consumer law essay?
Hey,
My teacher thought that technology or product certification could be asked, could be a compliance, non-compliance question as well.
Good luck for Thursday!  ;D
Class of 2017 (Year 12): Advanced English, General Maths, Legal Studies, Music 1, Ancient History, History Extension, Hospitality
2018-2022: B Music/B Education (Secondary) [UNSW]

~BK~

• Trendsetter
« Reply #1617 on: October 31, 2017, 11:11:15 am »
+2
yeeeesssss have atleast 3 statistics to back up your claims, it is what diffrentiates  between a band 5 and 6
They aren't essential, but they are extremely useful. If you have a hard time remembering them, round them up/down e.g. "nearly half of..." or "over 40,000..."
thanks heaps justdoit and paigek3  ;D
i will do my best to try and remember, i've collected them now so i may as well use them ;)
BRING ON NOV 2nd ;D

~BK~

• Trendsetter
« Reply #1618 on: October 31, 2017, 11:16:57 am »
+1
Hey,
My teacher thought that technology or product certification could be asked, could be a compliance, non-compliance question as well.
Good luck for Thursday!  ;D
hey katie...
do you think they would ever only give you the option of both the essays being on one of the following:
• credit
• product certification
• marketing innovations
• technology
because i am a lot more confident with the themes and challenges and i feel as if i know VERY little from the above topics  ::)
thanks
BRING ON NOV 2nd ;D

damecj

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +11
« Reply #1619 on: October 31, 2017, 11:19:30 am »
+1
Hey,

For a straight conduct of hostilities question for WO, is it best to mention R2P as well? Sort of talk about how limitations of the Geneva convention and the barrier of state sovereignty led to R2P?

Any advice would be much appreciated :0