Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 04:14:28 am

Author Topic: HSC Legal Studies Question Thread  (Read 572748 times)  Share 

kiiaaa

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +2
Re: Legal Studies Question Thread
« Reply #1665 on: October 31, 2017, 08:50:50 pm »
HEY GUYS!

I was wondering if you could help me out in writing an essay on law reform for world order- I'm really confused on what to talk about for my paragraphs
 I was thinking on doing one paragraph on developing treaties but I cant think of law reform anywhere else to discuss and was wondering if you could please help me out

thank you very much :))

sidzeman

• Trendsetter
« Reply #1666 on: October 31, 2017, 08:58:54 pm »
Are you guys learning the dates for every single one of the "developing recognition of human rights" dotpoint?

Vinnnnnnyyyyyy

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #1667 on: October 31, 2017, 08:59:37 pm »
The main one you need to know is the Bail Amendment Act 2013, which introduced the "unacceptable risk" test. In this same amendment though, they removed the "presumption against bail" for murder charges. So essentially, prior to the amendment, anyone who commit murder would be denied bail. Under the new amendment, a person who commit murder can be given bail if they pass the unacceptable risk test. This led to majorly controversial cases such as Steve Fesus, Hahmoud Hawi, and most importantly Man Monis, who commit the Lindt Cafe Siege while on bail.

The Bail Amendment Act 2015, though not as important, was in response to Man Monis' siege. It has amended the provision of bail for terrorist related activities. It added the 'show cause' requirement, so accused persons must show cause for serious indictable offences

Thank you! Can you please explain what "unacceptable risk" and "show cause" means. These two terms always confuse me.
2016:
Mathematics 2U - 96
Mathematics 3U - 92

2017:
English Advanced - 92
Legal Studies - 91
Economics - 88
Business Studies - 93

ATAR: 97.6

B Commerce/Law - UNSW

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
« Reply #1668 on: October 31, 2017, 09:05:33 pm »
+1
How many media articles are expected in an essay? And is making them up really an option - will the markers know?

insert them when relevant - so when you're proving a point :-) so maybe once or twice a paragraph? really depends on how you write. if you really can't think of LCMs, or you've forgotten them, totally fine to make them up! just make sure they sound legit :-)

HEY GUYS!

I was wondering if you could help me out in writing an essay on law reform for world order- I'm really confused on what to talk about for my paragraphs
 I was thinking on doing one paragraph on developing treaties but I cant think of law reform anywhere else to discuss and was wondering if you could please help me out

i don't do world order, sorry!

Are you guys learning the dates for every single one of the "developing recognition of human rights" dotpoint?

trying my best!
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

caitlinlddouglas

• Trendsetter
« Reply #1669 on: October 31, 2017, 09:06:57 pm »
hey guys would someone mine going over what the express and implied rights of the constitution are? I keep getting confused between some of them!
Thanks heaps

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #1670 on: October 31, 2017, 09:07:08 pm »
+4
How many media articles are expected in an essay? And is making them up really an option - will the markers know?

Just a couple are heaps, one per paragraph in the majority of your paragraphs ;D so, I mean, I know people who made them up and scored well. But it is usually easy to spot, and it ruins your credibility if they do spot it. Ultimately, it's a shortcut, and that shortcut is leaving you open to lose marks you would have otherwise kept. Spending an hour or two memorising a couple, versus risking the marks, is an easy decision to me :)

HEY GUYS!

Pretty much any treaty/anything like that is an example of law reform since a lot of them have only been developed recently! Like, it's a continually evolving process, and you can frame that process as law reform - Even if its introducing a new law rather than changing an existing one, it is still reform :)

I personally learned the most important ones from each, enough to sustain a brief short answer response ;D

Thank you! Can you please explain what "unacceptable risk" and "show cause" means. These two terms always confuse me.

A show cause offence is sort of like the old presumption against bail - If you commit such an offence, you have to give reasons why you should get bail :)

Otherwise, the normal test is whether you pose an unacceptable risk to society if released. A first time assault offender involved in a football riot, for example, probably an acceptable risk to release. Someone with a history of domestic violence, perhaps not so :)

[MA165]

• Trailblazer
« Reply #1671 on: October 31, 2017, 09:10:59 pm »
+2
That's literally what I have too! No need to stress :) Other points that I would include would be the Provocation Amendment, which has changed the criteria of provocation to 'Extreme Provocation'. This was in response to the lenient case of R v Singh. You can argue that this is effective as it prevents the regularity of violent spouses murdering their partner in a jealous rage.

Another good piece of reform would be the Jury Amendment (Verdicts) Act. Rather than requiring a unanimous 12:0 vote, a 10:2 or 11:1 vote can satisfy a conviction. This links well to balancing rights of parties, as you can argue that reducing the criteria allows for less hung juries, thus saving the trauma of victims reliving the crime in constant re-trails, as well as saving taxpayers in millions of dollars. On the contrary, reducing the criteria has hampered the standard of 'beyond reasonable doubt', resulting in injustice for the accused.

These reforms and the ones you have already should have you set for a law reform question!

THANKYOU SO SO MUCH!!!
that is very helpful and definitely gives me something else to look at!!
thank you very much and atb on thursday  :)

rodero

• Forum Obsessive
  • Professional quote and statistic generator
  • Respect: +81
« Reply #1672 on: October 31, 2017, 09:24:42 pm »
Hey guys, I've found that major road blocks to my study have been caused because I don't know how to structure my paragraphs for some dot points.

Could anybody please help me out with a paragraph structure and brief overview of:
- The Changing Nature of Parental Responsibility
- Surrogacy and Birth Technologies
- Care and Protection of Children

Thanks so much :) I appreciate any help. Also, if you know about one of the dot points but not the others that still helps out :D
HSC 2017:
English (Advanced): 91    Legal Studies: 92    Modern History: 91    Studies of Religion 2: 90    Business Studies: 92

ATAR: 96.75

Need tutoring? Click here!

Korrasami

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #1673 on: October 31, 2017, 09:32:09 pm »
+2
Hey guys, I've found that major road blocks to my study have been caused because I don't know how to structure my paragraphs for some dot points.

Could anybody please help me out with a paragraph structure and brief overview of:
- The Changing Nature of Parental Responsibility
- Surrogacy and Birth Technologies
- Care and Protection of Children

Thanks so much :) I appreciate any help. Also, if you know about one of the dot points but not the others that still helps out :D

For care and protection, I had a paragraph on domestic violence and the NSW government five-action plan called "Keep them safe" in relation to the Wood inquiry. I also talked about the laws ineffectiveness in dealing with issues with children involving domestic violence

For my second paragraph, I talked about parental responsibility and how the law aims to have the best interests of the child

Third paragraph, mentioned the legal consequences of separation involving children

Sorry it's a bit all over the place, as I'm not finished planning it all out, but that's all I have!

mattmuzz

• Adventurer
« Reply #1674 on: October 31, 2017, 09:38:16 pm »
hello everyone can you please give me some advice on how to structure an essay on World order for compliance and non compliance

rodero

• Forum Obsessive
  • Professional quote and statistic generator
  • Respect: +81
« Reply #1675 on: October 31, 2017, 10:00:23 pm »
For care and protection, I had a paragraph on domestic violence and the NSW government five-action plan called "Keep them safe" in relation to the Wood inquiry. I also talked about the laws ineffectiveness in dealing with issues with children involving domestic violence

For my second paragraph, I talked about parental responsibility and how the law aims to have the best interests of the child

Third paragraph, mentioned the legal consequences of separation involving children

Sorry it's a bit all over the place, as I'm not finished planning it all out, but that's all I have!

Thank you ! :D
HSC 2017:
English (Advanced): 91    Legal Studies: 92    Modern History: 91    Studies of Religion 2: 90    Business Studies: 92

ATAR: 96.75

Need tutoring? Click here!

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #1676 on: October 31, 2017, 10:09:52 pm »
+2
hello everyone can you please give me some advice on how to structure an essay on World order for compliance and non compliance

Hey there - there's a few ways of structuring it.

You could use big case studies (like, a country for a case study) and in each paragraph focus on different things. So if I'm talking about North Korea, I might talk about sanctions in one paragraph as a way of dealing with non-compliance and hopefully encouraging compliance, then I might talk about how the aim of UN resolutions and discussions do come with the aim of encouraging compliance. On a separate note, I might talk about non-diplomatic ways of dealing with non-compliance, (like waging an all-out war before discussions), and how encouraging compliance through other more diplomatic measures might be the way to go. So it is quite measure based - what measures are used to deal with a state that's not complying, and how can we make them want to comply?
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

kiiaaa

• Trendsetter
« Reply #1677 on: October 31, 2017, 10:38:18 pm »
hey
i was wondering if someone could please explain to me how state soverignty is related to veto powers/R2P/Sanctions  in world order?
thank you :)

sidzeman

• Trendsetter
« Reply #1678 on: October 31, 2017, 10:52:23 pm »
What are some major cases or events that demonstrate the ICJ's role in enforcing human rights?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #1679 on: October 31, 2017, 11:04:57 pm »
+4
hey
i was wondering if someone could please explain to me how state soverignty is related to veto powers/R2P/Sanctions  in world order?
thank you :)

Essentially, state sovereignty means that no nation state is ever fully obligated to adhere to international standards. Meaning, they can ignore UN sanctions if they so choose. Everyone needs to cooperate for anything to work ;D

What are some major cases or events that demonstrate the ICJ's role in enforcing human rights?

Check this case from 2009, could be helpful! ;D