Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 01:10:43 am

Author Topic: HSC Legal Studies Question Thread  (Read 572727 times)  Share 

paigek3

• Forum Obsessive
  • My name is Ella
  • Respect: +126
Re: Legal Studies Question Thread
« Reply #1725 on: November 01, 2017, 01:10:30 pm »
+1
Hey guys I found a tricky multiple choice Q:

Which of the following people is most likely to receive legal aid?

A) An accused with no prior offences who is pleading not guilty
B) A young offender who is pleading not guilty
C) An accused person with prior offences who is pleading guilty
D) An accused person with a mental illness

This doesn't have an answer sheet with it so i was wondering if I could have some help here. I think that the answer would be D. Legal aid has 3 tests, being a means, merit and jurisdiction; Can the person pay, can we win, is it in our jurisdiction is a simple way to know what these tests entail. Since D has a mental illness, they would be more likely to gain an acquittal, and I don't think the accused's intention to plead guilty has any bearing on legal aid. For that reason, I'd say D. However, it is pretty tricky and I don't have an answers sheet so if anyone could confirm that would help a lot!

At first look I thought it would be B because everyone under the age of 18 is guaranteed legal aid without the need of any testing, if I recall correctly?

EDIT: and to your second question, I also agree with B :)
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 01:12:35 pm by paigek3 »
HSC subjects
Advanced English | Extension 1 English | Extension 2 English | Legal Studies | PDHPE | Society and Culture | General 2 Maths

Need HSC tutoring, mentoring or essay marking? I'm offering all of that online! Check out all the offers, pricing and details here https://bandsevenhsctutoring.wordpress.com/blog/ and feel free to get in contact with me if you want any more info :)

annajpeterson

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #1726 on: November 01, 2017, 01:18:55 pm »
any predictions for the world order essay?

georgiia

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #1727 on: November 01, 2017, 01:21:18 pm »
Is the Australian Human Rights Commission a non-legal mechanism?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #1728 on: November 01, 2017, 01:35:42 pm »
+2
Hey,

For a straight conduct of hostilities question for WO, is it best to mention R2P as well? Sort of talk about how limitations of the Geneva convention and the barrier of state sovereignty led to R2P?

Any advice would be much appreciated :0

You can definitely mention R2P - All the areas of World Order heavily overlap so you're safe ;D

Most successful/famous UNSC resolution in response to Libya??

I don't know about famous/successful but this appears to be the most recent ;D

Does anyone have predictions for shelter and family?

Law reform is my bet for Crime so I wouldn't be surprised to see it pop up in the Options :)

Any ideas about to write for a Crime question on the adversary system? It's one of the aspects of the syllabus that haven't really been questioned. All I can think of is a 'pros' and 'cons' kind of discussion but that doesn't seem good enough.

thanks in advance :)

I'd frame it as a balancing rights essay, with a paragraph each on victims, offenders and society and how their rights are protected by the adversarial process. You can discuss things like juries, rules for admissible evidence, special victims rights provisions, etc etc :)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #1729 on: November 01, 2017, 01:39:38 pm »
+2
how would you write an essay about compliance and non-compliance in relation to family laws? we literally never learnt about that topic point in class, so i'm super confused.

Compliance and non-compliance can be warped to simply, how effectively do the laws/responses adequately handle the issue and thus encourage people to comply? Like, it's only a slight spin on normal "effectiveness of responses" analysis. So, pick your favourite three responses for the Option and analyse how well they work, and thus, how well they encourage people to comply with the law :)

for a reflection of changing values and ethical standards in regard to consumers question..
would i be able to include implying terms into contracts for the 'weaker party' and superior bargaining power or is this irrelevant?!  ???

Yep, pretty much anything can be linked to changing values. Society values _________, which is reflected in laws X, Y and Z. Almost definitely you can tie this in :)

Law reform :)

I'd call it a legal mechanism :)

littleshreep

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #1730 on: November 01, 2017, 01:42:09 pm »

AHRC: independent statutory authority, administers federal HR legislation, investigates and conciliates complaints about HR abuse in legislation, can’t make legally binding decisions.

So... I don't think it is a non-legal mechanism.. but I may be wrong! Sorry

littleshreep

• Trailblazer
« Reply #1731 on: November 01, 2017, 01:44:08 pm »
I'd frame it as a balancing rights essay, with a paragraph each on victims, offenders and society and how their rights are protected by the adversarial process. You can discuss things like juries, rules for admissible evidence, special victims rights provisions, etc etc :)

Okay, cool thank you :)

paigek3

• Forum Obsessive
  • My name is Ella
« Reply #1732 on: November 01, 2017, 01:54:46 pm »
Law reform :)

Was this a typo thinking the question was asking about crime instead of world order, or do you really think law reform could come up in world order  :o (pls be the former)
HSC subjects
Advanced English | Extension 1 English | Extension 2 English | Legal Studies | PDHPE | Society and Culture | General 2 Maths

Need HSC tutoring, mentoring or essay marking? I'm offering all of that online! Check out all the offers, pricing and details here https://bandsevenhsctutoring.wordpress.com/blog/ and feel free to get in contact with me if you want any more info :)

mattmuzz

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #1733 on: November 01, 2017, 01:56:54 pm »
i am thinking something to with contemporary issues of regional and global situations that threaten peace and security: nuclear threat linked with international law or i hope something to do with compliance because you can link that really well with legal and non legal responses

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #1734 on: November 01, 2017, 01:58:09 pm »
+1
Was this a typo thinking the question was asking about crime instead of world order, or do you really think law reform could come up in world order  :o (pls be the former)

Not a typo unfortunately, law reform is a theme and challenge for world order like all the areas of the syllabus so it is a definite possibility!! It's my bet it will appear somewhere this year :)

[MA165]

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #1735 on: November 01, 2017, 02:13:16 pm »
+1
how does the fair work act 2009 and the fair work regulations 2009 differ?
this is prob a dumb question...
i know one is a statue but what exactly is the other? or it it just under the act....   ::) ???
TIA :D

paigek3

• Forum Obsessive
  • My name is Ella
« Reply #1736 on: November 01, 2017, 02:15:32 pm »
Not a typo unfortunately, law reform is a theme and challenge for world order like all the areas of the syllabus so it is a definite possibility!! It's my bet it will appear somewhere this year :)

What could be the body paragraphs here aaaah
HSC subjects

littleshreep

• Trailblazer
« Reply #1737 on: November 01, 2017, 02:19:45 pm »
+1
how does the fair work act 2009 and the fair work regulations 2009 differ?
this is prob a dumb question...
i know one is a statue but what exactly is the other? or it it just under the act....   ::) ???
TIA :D

The Fair Work Regulations 2009 (Cth) set out how the Fair Work Act 2009 (Cth) is applied or how certain words are defined.

sidzeman

• Trendsetter
« Reply #1738 on: November 01, 2017, 02:21:32 pm »
Workplace law - what is the difference between the roles of the Fair Work Commission, FWOmbudsman and the Industrial relations commission?
Also, does anyone have any examples of successful cases of mediation and conciliation?

For a broad question (for any topic) which say would be "effectiveness of law reform regarding contemp issues" - do we have to discuss all the contemp issues??
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 02:28:50 pm by sidzeman »

[MA165]

• Trailblazer
« Reply #1739 on: November 01, 2017, 02:24:14 pm »
+1
The Fair Work Regulations 2009 (Cth) set out how the Fair Work Act 2009 (Cth) is applied or how certain words are defined.

oh :) thankyou!!