Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 04:36:24 am

Author Topic: HSC Legal Studies Question Thread  (Read 572753 times)  Share 

littleshreep

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +1
Re: Legal Studies Question Thread
« Reply #1755 on: November 01, 2017, 04:29:39 pm »
if an essay is on the effectiveness of legal and non legal responses do you need to focus on legal/non legal responses equally?

yep, you need to discuss them equally. :)

olivia.ferry

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #1756 on: November 01, 2017, 04:42:16 pm »
any predictions for the indigenous essay??!! I'm so stuck 😅

sidzeman

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #1757 on: November 01, 2017, 04:44:23 pm »
Is it okay to always refer to BOCSAR by this abbreviation rather than its proper name?

chelseam

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +45
« Reply #1758 on: November 01, 2017, 04:49:11 pm »
Is it okay to always refer to BOCSAR by this abbreviation rather than its proper name?
You could write out the full name once and write (BOCSAR) next to it, then keep using BOCSAR throughout  ;)

Full Defence -> Full acquittal. Applies to Mental illness, necessity and self-defence.

Partial -> Charge reduced to manslaughter. Arises from provocation or diminished responsibility

Thank you!  :D

Does anyone know the difference between a Court Attendance Notice and a Summons? Or are they the same thing? The syllabus only has 'summons' and not CAN but I've seen it pop up a few times! Thank you  :)
HSC 2017: Chemistry / English Advanced / English Extension 1 / Legal Studies (5th in NSW) / Math Extension 1 / Math Extension 2

Wales

• MOTM: JUN 2017
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +91
« Reply #1759 on: November 01, 2017, 04:51:57 pm »
Anyone got a guide as to how many Laws/Cases/Media should be included per paragraph? I've got ranging from 1-2 to up to 5 per paragraph. Planning on doing 4 paragraphs + Intro/Conclusion for my Crime, Family and Shelter essay.

Cheers, Wales
Heavy Things :(

rodero

• Forum Obsessive
  • Professional quote and statistic generator
  • Respect: +81
« Reply #1760 on: November 01, 2017, 04:52:45 pm »
You could write out the full name once and write (BOCSAR) next to it, then keep using BOCSAR throughout  ;)

Thank you!  :D

Does anyone know the difference between a Court Attendance Notice and a Summons? Or are they the same thing? The syllabus only has 'summons' and not CAN but I've seen it pop up a few times! Thank you  :)

They're the same thing. CAN is the updated terminology of the Summons. However, the syllabus will still refer to it as a Summons
HSC 2017:
English (Advanced): 91    Legal Studies: 92    Modern History: 91    Studies of Religion 2: 90    Business Studies: 92

ATAR: 96.75

Need tutoring? Click here!

Wales

• MOTM: JUN 2017
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +91
« Reply #1761 on: November 01, 2017, 04:52:51 pm »

Yeah I think you can but I'd write it out once then bracket BOSCAR. Having said that, I'll likely just write BOSCAR..
Heavy Things :(

rodero

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #1762 on: November 01, 2017, 04:53:38 pm »
hi, i just wanted to know is bail granted/refused at the commital hearing, or if not then, when and how? thanks

It's done at a bail hearing, which happens before the committal hearing
HSC 2017:
English (Advanced): 91    Legal Studies: 92    Modern History: 91    Studies of Religion 2: 90    Business Studies: 92

~BK~

• Trendsetter
  • "Bibia be ye ye"- all will be well!
  • Respect: +24
« Reply #1763 on: November 01, 2017, 04:54:09 pm »
+1
I thought it was a non-legal measure. But I am subject to correction!  ;)
thanks justin....
nobody's corrected you so i'll take your word for it
syt- can not wait till 12.30 ;D
BRING ON NOV 2nd ;D

rodero

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #1764 on: November 01, 2017, 04:55:02 pm »
+1
Hey everyone, what legislation does legal representation fall under?

It's under common law, not actual legislation. Dietrich v The Queen established the limited right to legal representation
HSC 2017:

rodero

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #1765 on: November 01, 2017, 05:00:35 pm »
+3
Hey guys I was wondering if resolutions and the impositions of sanctions by the UNSC could be considered reform? I want to talk about it in terms of the Iran nuclear deal

Yep, treaties count as reform as well

hey...
is an ombudsman a legal or non-legal measure!?
thanks.

Non-Legal

Hey Guys!!
Does anyone know 2 other points I could use for a crime essay about issues of compliance/non-compliance??
All I can think of is bail laws and the compliance of offenders in terms of breaching 'conditions'!!

tks

Compliance in terms of rehabilitation. The whole point of rehab is to encourage compliance with the legal system

Non Compliance with regards to jury misconduct. Juries trying to find the facts of the case outside of court, such as in R v Skaf, and R v Karakaya

Non Compliance with police not following their legal boundaries under LEPRA. i.e. in the unlawful arrest of Corey Barker and the Roberto Curti Taser Incident

hey guys, just making sure, is the use of soft-force in international affairs a non-legal mechanism in achieving world order?? thanks  :)

If you're referring to soft-force such as political persuasion, negotiation and force, then those are non legal

Hey guys another question- how could the development of R2P be seen as part of law reform for world order? Thanks!

The international document that introduced the concept of R2P can be considered law reform

HSC 2017:

rodero

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #1766 on: November 01, 2017, 05:06:16 pm »
Anyone got a guide as to how many Laws/Cases/Media should be included per paragraph? I've got ranging from 1-2 to up to 5 per paragraph. Planning on doing 4 paragraphs + Intro/Conclusion for my Crime, Family and Shelter essay.

Cheers, Wales

My paragraphs usually go legislation -> case -> media, and then I repeat the cycle, maybe leaving one of them out though. So for one paragraph it might be legislation -> case -> media -> case -> media (leaving legislation out if it doesn't seem relevant)
HSC 2017:

rodero

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #1767 on: November 01, 2017, 05:12:59 pm »
Just wondering if we got crime prevention for the essay. Would we be able to stretch it and talk about deterrence at all? If so, do you reckon deterrence falls under situational or social?
HSC 2017:

annajpeterson

• Adventurer
« Reply #1768 on: November 01, 2017, 05:18:10 pm »
what points could you do for a world order essay on law reform?

spetsnaz

• Adventurer
« Reply #1769 on: November 01, 2017, 05:24:47 pm »
Just wondering if we got crime prevention for the essay. Would we be able to stretch it and talk about deterrence at all? If so, do you reckon deterrence falls under situational or social?
I'd say it's situational crime prevention because it prevents the offender from indulging in anti-social behaviour (for example).