Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 02:28:20 am

Author Topic: HSC Legal Studies Question Thread  (Read 572735 times)  Share 

rodero

• Forum Obsessive
  • Professional quote and statistic generator
  • Respect: +81
Re: Legal Studies Question Thread
« Reply #1770 on: November 01, 2017, 05:43:57 pm »
12 Daniel,   a   14-year-old,   is   convicted   of   a   public   order   offence.   This   is   his   first   recorded   
conviction.   
Which   of   the   following   is   the   most   likely   penalty   for   Daniel?
(A)    Caution
(B)    Warning
(C)    Probation
(D)    Community   service

Does anyone else feel as though this is a really controversial question? The answer is D according to BOSTES. However, there are 2 types of public order offences; Swearing in public would be a lower order public order offender, which would result in a caution. But then there is also the more serious ones such as an affray. The question doesn't really specify what type of public order offence he has commit, so how are we supposed to know it's D? I guess the textbook only really goes into detail of an affray and a riot, so are we supposed to just assume it's been one of those?

EDIT

2 Who decides a question of law in a criminal case in the NSW Supreme Court?
(A) The jury
(B) The judge
(C) The defence
(D) The prosecutor

Umm okay now im starting to freak out. How is the answer B? I thought jurys were present in the Supreme Court, and the question of law that they are answering is whether the case has been proven 'beyond reasonable doubt'
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 05:58:38 pm by rodero »
HSC 2017:
English (Advanced): 91    Legal Studies: 92    Modern History: 91    Studies of Religion 2: 90    Business Studies: 92

ATAR: 96.75

Need tutoring? Click here!

Anfar3

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #1771 on: November 01, 2017, 06:00:15 pm »
+1
Rodero - Situational crime prevention deals with modifying the physical environment in which a crime may occur so that the possibility of that crime to be carried out is reduced. This essentially does act as a deterrent in preventing crime as - the implementation of CCTV's in areas will reduce the likelihood of someone, for example stealing.

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #1772 on: November 01, 2017, 06:00:42 pm »
+2
What could be the body paragraphs here aaaah

Anything you like really! Pretty much any response to World Order, any change of something existing or introduction of something new, is reform! ;D

For a broad question (for any topic) which say would be "effectiveness of law reform regarding contemp issues" - do we have to discuss all the contemp issues??

Nah, you could choose a couple ;D

Any ideas of what to focus on for the Human Rights ext. response?

It depends a bit on what the question is too! Make sure you are answering whatever question is in front of you :)

Hey guys I was wondering if resolutions and the impositions of sanctions by the UNSC could be considered reform? I want to talk about it in terms of the Iran nuclear deal

Yep :)

hey guys, just making sure, is the use of soft-force in international affairs a non-legal mechanism in achieving world order?? thanks  :)

It is probably more appropriately called a legal mechanism since it would be guided primarily by the UN - Is that the sort of thing you mean? :)

Hey Guys!!
Does anyone know 2 other points I could use for a crime essay about issues of compliance/non-compliance??
All I can think of is bail laws and the compliance of offenders in terms of breaching 'conditions'!!
tks

Sentencing decisions and whether they discourage recidivism, and LEPRA (whether police have enough powers to enforce compliance) :)

Hey guys another question- how could the development of R2P be seen as part of law reform for world order? Thanks!

R2P is a shift away from a heavy focus on state sovereignty and shifting to a recognition that, in some cases, you need to intervene to protect human rights and maintain peace and security :)

Vinnnnnnyyyyyy

• Trailblazer
« Reply #1773 on: November 01, 2017, 06:02:06 pm »
+1
12 Daniel,   a   14-year-old,   is   convicted   of   a   public   order   offence.   This   is   his   first   recorded   
conviction.   
Which   of   the   following   is   the   most   likely   penalty   for   Daniel?
(A)    Caution
(B)    Warning
(C)    Probation

Does anyone else feel as though this is a really controversial question? The answer is D according to BOSTES. However, there are 2 types of public order offences; Swearing in public would be a lower order public order offender, which would result in a caution. But then there is also the more serious ones such as an affray. The question doesn't really specify what type of public order offence he has commit, so how are we supposed to know it's D? I guess the textbook only really goes into detail of an affray and a riot, so are we supposed to just assume it's been one of those?

EDIT

(A) The jury
(B) The judge
(C) The defence
(D) The prosecutor

Umm okay now im starting to freak out. How is the answer B? I thought jurys were present in the Supreme Court, and the question of law that they are answering is whether the case has been proven 'beyond reasonable doubt'

I'd have to assume since the question says he's already been convicted, the only answer can be D as it is a penalty(?). Might want someone else to clarify.

I don't know the answer to your 2nd question. I have always just accepted it to be the judge haha
2016:
Mathematics 2U - 96
Mathematics 3U - 92

2017:
English Advanced - 92
Legal Studies - 91
Economics - 88
Business Studies - 93

ATAR: 97.6

B Commerce/Law - UNSW

paigek3

• Forum Obsessive
  • My name is Ella
  • Respect: +126
« Reply #1774 on: November 01, 2017, 06:03:05 pm »
So Jamon, could this be an okay structure for World Order?

- introduction of the un charter
- unsc resolutions
- state soveringty’s impact on limiting the effectiveness of reform
HSC subjects
Advanced English | Extension 1 English | Extension 2 English | Legal Studies | PDHPE | Society and Culture | General 2 Maths

Need HSC tutoring, mentoring or essay marking? I'm offering all of that online! Check out all the offers, pricing and details here https://bandsevenhsctutoring.wordpress.com/blog/ and feel free to get in contact with me if you want any more info :)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #1775 on: November 01, 2017, 06:03:37 pm »
+2
hi, i just wanted to know is bail granted/refused at the commital hearing, or if not then, when and how? thanks

It is a separate hearing held in a Local Court before the committal hearing, to my understanding :)

if an essay is on the effectiveness of legal and non legal responses do you need to focus on legal/non legal responses equally?

You can have a slight tendency towards legal :)

Anyone got a guide as to how many Laws/Cases/Media should be included per paragraph? I've got ranging from 1-2 to up to 5 per paragraph. Planning on doing 4 paragraphs + Intro/Conclusion for my Crime, Family and Shelter essay.

Cheers, Wales

Quality over quantity - I like to see a minimum of 3 :)

Just wondering if we got crime prevention for the essay. Would we be able to stretch it and talk about deterrence at all? If so, do you reckon deterrence falls under situational or social?

Yes, and it would be social usually but perhaps situational if there is an actual process that makes it more difficult for them to commit a crime again :)

what points could you do for a world order essay on law reform?

Pretty much anything! Any change or addition to how we respond to World Order is a reform :)

Vinnnnnnyyyyyy

• Trailblazer
« Reply #1776 on: November 01, 2017, 06:04:30 pm »
How would you show the marker you are addressing compliance and non-compliance? Do you constantly use the words "comply" and "does not comply", etc?
2016:
Mathematics 2U - 96
Mathematics 3U - 92

2017:
English Advanced - 92
Legal Studies - 91
Economics - 88
Business Studies - 93

ATAR: 97.6

B Commerce/Law - UNSW

kiiaaa

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #1777 on: November 01, 2017, 06:05:25 pm »
hey
i was wondering can compliance and cooperaiton be used interchnageablely in legal studies

rodero

• Forum Obsessive
  • Professional quote and statistic generator
  • Respect: +81
« Reply #1778 on: November 01, 2017, 06:06:54 pm »
I'd have to assume since the question says he's already been convicted, the only answer can be D as it is a penalty(?). Might want someone else to clarify.

I don't know the answer to your 2nd question. I have always just accepted it to be the judge haha

Oh my gosh your explanation on the first one just gave me that major epiphany moment. Thank you! Completely forgot that warnings and cautions are under alternatives, so I was confused them with penalties that are under sentencing and punishment
HSC 2017:
English (Advanced): 91    Legal Studies: 92    Modern History: 91    Studies of Religion 2: 90    Business Studies: 92

ATAR: 96.75

Need tutoring? Click here!

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #1779 on: November 01, 2017, 06:07:02 pm »
+2
conviction.   
(A)    Caution
(B)    Warning
(C)    Probation

They've been convicted which means it couldn't have been a Warning or a Caution, you don't have a conviction there. D is the better answer of the remaining :)

EDIT

(A) The jury
(B) The judge
(C) The defence
(D) The prosecutor

Question of law means a legal technicality, explaining how the law works with regard to a given scenario, not whether they are guilty or not. That is the judges role, to explain questions/technicalities of law to the untrained jury :)

So Jamon, could this be an okay structure for World Order?

- introduction of the un charter
- unsc resolutions
- state soveringty’s impact on limiting the effectiveness of reform

Yep! :)

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #1780 on: November 01, 2017, 06:08:08 pm »
Anyone got a guide as to how many Laws/Cases/Media should be included per paragraph? I've got ranging from 1-2 to up to 5 per paragraph. Planning on doing 4 paragraphs + Intro/Conclusion for my Crime, Family and Shelter essay.

Cheers, Wales

It entirely depends on your essay structure. If you're doing a case per paragraph, so looking at the effectiveness of something as applied to different cases, then obviously you're going to do one case per paragraph and cite the relevant legislation where it's a thing. If the question is about law reform achieving justice - you might look at one piece of legislation per paragraph and talk about the reform, which cases brought the reform, and the media, etc. If your question is about non-legal and legal measures, then you're more likely to find yourself a bit more lost because the question doesn't lend itself to a specific structure as much in terms of cases and legislation, so that's when you need to plan your essay (even if just in your head) a little more to make sure you are ticking everything off. Your structure as you've presented above sounds great, and I'm sure there's plenty there to work with :)

Edit: tried to post this like three times and it kept coming up with someone else has posted, I might need to review my response hahaha
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #1781 on: November 01, 2017, 06:08:32 pm »
How would you show the marker you are addressing compliance and non-compliance? Do you constantly use the words "comply" and "does not comply", etc?

Yep, or synonyms :)

hey
i was wondering can compliance and cooperaiton be used interchnageablely in legal studies

Compliance means obeying, so it is a little different to cooperation which implies equality (two nation states working together, for example, versus obeying a UN sanction) :)

paigek3

• Forum Obsessive
  • My name is Ella
  • Respect: +126
« Reply #1782 on: November 01, 2017, 06:22:28 pm »
+6
How good is the legal community <3 keen for the huge discussion post-exam! :P

Fingers crossed the hsc gods are kind to us tomorrow aka don’t ask international crime or young offenders ;D
HSC subjects
Advanced English | Extension 1 English | Extension 2 English | Legal Studies | PDHPE | Society and Culture | General 2 Maths

Need HSC tutoring, mentoring or essay marking? I'm offering all of that online! Check out all the offers, pricing and details here https://bandsevenhsctutoring.wordpress.com/blog/ and feel free to get in contact with me if you want any more info :)

kiiaaa

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #1783 on: November 01, 2017, 06:30:11 pm »
hey guys
i was wondering - does sanction sfall under the use of force or persuation?
lol im sooo confused

thank you

hansolo9

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #1784 on: November 01, 2017, 06:31:47 pm »
+1
Hey

For world order, what are some good points/arguments to make about rules regarding hostilities or international humanitarian law?
Kinda stumped on this one with legislation or treaties other than Hague/Geneva C.