Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 07:47:07 pm

Author Topic: HSC Legal Studies Question Thread  (Read 572847 times)  Share 

~BK~

• Trendsetter
  • "Bibia be ye ye"- all will be well!
  • Respect: +24
Re: Legal Studies Question Thread
« Reply #1785 on: November 01, 2017, 06:33:49 pm »
can trade unions be used as a non-legal measure to force companies to comply with the law? ???
BRING ON NOV 2nd ;D

ruponti.atiq

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #1786 on: November 01, 2017, 06:34:27 pm »
prediction for shelter?

kiiaaa

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #1787 on: November 01, 2017, 06:34:57 pm »
hi guys - im doing a law reform essay and was wondering if you could please quicky explain to me the reform surroudnign one punch and bail as i have confused myself beyond beleif lmao as so much has happened ive lost track and become confused =/
thank you sooo much! :)

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1151
« Reply #1788 on: November 01, 2017, 07:06:24 pm »
+2
hi guys - im doing a law reform essay and was wondering if you could please quicky explain to me the reform surroudnign one punch and bail as i have confused myself beyond beleif lmao as so much has happened ive lost track and become confused =/
Hey,
One punch laws: Were made following public outcry after the R v. Loveridge case (2013), after Loveridge only received min 4 years in jail. The Crimes and Other Legislation Amendment (Assault and Intoxication) Act 2014 NSW was made to try to prevent alcohol - fuelled violence. It included mandatory min and max sentences. If an offender was under the influence of drugs/alcohol they have a min sentence of 8 years and max 25years.
It also included the lockout laws in the CBD precinct between Kings Cross to Cockle Bay, and The Rocks to Haymarket and Darlinghurst. Bars, pubs and registered clubs within this area cannot admit any more guests after 1:30am and from after 3am cannot serve any alcohol. Bottle shops must close at 10pm.

Bail: The Bail Act 2013
Removes the offense-based presumption against bail, has an unacceptable risk assessment instead (based on factors such as severity of the crime, potential of harm and likeliness to return to court).

Hope this helps! Good luck for tomorrow!  ;D
Class of 2017 (Year 12): Advanced English, General Maths, Legal Studies, Music 1, Ancient History, History Extension, Hospitality
2018-2022: B Music/B Education (Secondary) [UNSW]

spetsnaz

• Adventurer
« Reply #1789 on: November 01, 2017, 07:07:56 pm »
+1
One punch laws:
Stemmed on from mandatory sentencing, where judges discretion is limited --> The amendments to the Crimes (Sentencing Procedure) Act 2014 added minimum mandatory sentence of 8 years and a maximum sentence of 25 years for offenders that were intoxicated in public, leading to violence. --> use R v Loveridge
Bail:
Bail Act 1978 was criticised for undermining the 'presumption of innocence' which then lead to various amendments coming to the Bail Act 2013, which shifted views on the presumption of innocence to 'show cause', this was in response to the letting off of sexual offenders such as Man Monis which held the Sydney siege 6 days after being granted bail.

Korrasami

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #1790 on: November 01, 2017, 07:15:11 pm »
+1
Hey everyone! Let's get a final run-down on what you think is gonna be the questions for the essays!!

Crime: Either law reform or criminal trial process, but I'm heading towards law reform.

Family: Compliance and non-compliance as general question and the contemporary issue could either be care and protection or changing nature of parental responsibility.

Consumers: Compliance and non-compliance and technology or product certification as contemporary issue.

littleshreep

• Trailblazer
« Reply #1791 on: November 01, 2017, 07:19:31 pm »
WORKPLACE IS THE BIGGEST STRUGGLE  :'( :'( :'(

Does anyone have any cases for Safety?? Because if so, please please share I will be eternally grateful.

And also, is it enough to brush up on the contemporary issues, and then have like a general understanding of the themes??

kiiaaa

• Trendsetter
« Reply #1792 on: November 01, 2017, 07:25:32 pm »
+1
One punch laws:
Stemmed on from mandatory sentencing, where judges discretion is limited --> The amendments to the Crimes (Sentencing Procedure) Act 2014 added minimum mandatory sentence of 8 years and a maximum sentence of 25 years for offenders that were intoxicated in public, leading to violence. --> use R v Loveridge
Bail:
Bail Act 1978 was criticised for undermining the 'presumption of innocence' which then lead to various amendments coming to the Bail Act 2013, which shifted views on the presumption of innocence to 'show cause', this was in response to the letting off of sexual offenders such as Man Monis which held the Sydney siege 6 days after being granted bail.

LEGEND! THANK YOU SOOO MUCH :))

ACCC

• Adventurer
« Reply #1793 on: November 01, 2017, 07:29:02 pm »
Hi! I just realised I have missed this question "assess the roles of alternative methods of sentencing" from the syllabus!! What exactly is this and what would I need to talk about? Thank you!

~BK~

• Trendsetter
  • "Bibia be ye ye"- all will be well!
  • Respect: +24
« Reply #1794 on: November 01, 2017, 07:29:53 pm »
WORKPLACE IS THE BIGGEST STRUGGLE  :'( :'( :'(

Does anyone have any cases for Safety?? Because if so, please please share I will be eternally grateful.

And also, is it enough to brush up on the contemporary issues, and then have like a general understanding of the themes??
someone else does workplace... wow!! good to hear ;) its a very dry topic  ???

Paris v Stepney Borough Council [1951] AC 367 is a case for safety although it is VERY old!!<< it was a case where an employee, because of a lack of safety was left almost completely blinded...
Scholem v NSW Department of Health [1992] is a case where the plaintiff was exposed to smoke during her time at work and went on to cause a series of asthmatic health problems..
as for your other question- i hope so, cause that is basically what i'm doing (although i hardly know safety and struggle on termination of employment;))

hope this helps
good luck in the exam tomorrow
~BK~
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 07:34:39 pm by ~BK~ »
BRING ON NOV 2nd ;D

paigek3

• Forum Obsessive
  • My name is Ella
  • Respect: +126
« Reply #1795 on: November 01, 2017, 07:32:36 pm »
Hey everyone! Let's get a final run-down on what you think is gonna be the questions for the essays!!

Crime: Either law reform or criminal trial process, but I'm heading towards law reform.

Family: Compliance and non-compliance as general question and the contemporary issue could either be care and protection or changing nature of parental responsibility.

Consumers: Compliance and non-compliance and technology or product certification as contemporary issue.

I’ll try seperate what I actually think from wishful thinking hahahaha

Crime: Criminal Trial Process, Law Reform, Sentencing and Punishment

World Order: compliance and non compliance, one of the contemporary issues other than R2P, Australia’s involvement in world order

Family: compliance and non compliance, care and protection, changing nature of parental responsibility, adoption
HSC subjects
Advanced English | Extension 1 English | Extension 2 English | Legal Studies | PDHPE | Society and Culture | General 2 Maths

Need HSC tutoring, mentoring or essay marking? I'm offering all of that online! Check out all the offers, pricing and details here https://bandsevenhsctutoring.wordpress.com/blog/ and feel free to get in contact with me if you want any more info :)

kiiaaa

• Trendsetter
« Reply #1796 on: November 01, 2017, 07:34:05 pm »
hey guys
i was wondering if you could please help me understand what's with same sex couples relating to adoption and surrogacy. im so confused with whats with the two like the law etc on them

thank you very mcuh :)) 

spetsnaz

• Adventurer
« Reply #1797 on: November 01, 2017, 07:43:58 pm »
+1
hey guys
i was wondering if you could please help me understand what's with same sex couples relating to adoption and surrogacy. im so confused with whats with the two like the law etc on them

thank you very mcuh :)) 
Under the Family Law Amendment (De Facto Financial Matters and Other Measures) Act 2008, same sex couples can adopt a child. In relation to surrogacy, religiously, it provides outlets for same-sex couples to have children which can be against Christian lobby groups such as The Australian Christian Lobby group. Don't know if this answers your question though?

Korrasami

• Forum Regular
« Reply #1798 on: November 01, 2017, 07:55:49 pm »
I’ll try seperate what I actually think from wishful thinking hahahaha

Crime: Criminal Trial Process, Law Reform, Sentencing and Punishment

World Order: compliance and non compliance, one of the contemporary issues other than R2P, Australia’s involvement in world order

Family: compliance and non compliance, care and protection, changing nature of parental responsibility, adoption

Seems solid! I think compliance and non-compliance would probably be the themes and challenges question this year, as it hasn't been asked since 2009-2010? I've noticed that there's usually a question that relates to the themes and challenges and one that's solely on a contemporary issue! Fingers crossed!

Good luck for tomorrow guys! <3

littleshreep

• Trailblazer
« Reply #1799 on: November 01, 2017, 07:56:44 pm »
someone else does workplace... wow!! good to hear ;) its a very dry topic  ???

Paris v Stepney Borough Council [1951] AC 367 is a case for safety although it is VERY old!!<< it was a case where an employee, because of a lack of safety was left almost completely blinded...
Scholem v NSW Department of Health [1992] is a case where the plaintiff was exposed to smoke during her time at work and went on to cause a series of asthmatic health problems..
as for your other question- i hope so, cause that is basically what i'm doing (although i hardly know safety and struggle on termination of employment;))

hope this helps
good luck in the exam tomorrow
~BK~

OH MY GOODNESS BLESS YOUR ANGELIC SOUL!!!!! <3

I feel your pain honestly... I've shared a google document with my class, would you like to check it out?