Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 02:52:23 am

Author Topic: HSC Legal Studies Question Thread  (Read 572739 times)  Share 

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: Legal Studies Question Thread
« Reply #1815 on: November 01, 2017, 09:44:28 pm »
+1
I honestly have 15-25+ LCMID per essay planned and am trying to memorise it all, Ive done pretty well but there’s still a few I can’t remember because of course it’s heaps of stuff but it’s freakin me a little ahh!!

Should I try focus on really memorising the predicted things, and then a little less for others? Or equal for everything

I think predictions are a bit of a falsehood - If you are prepared properly (which you definitely are), then a prediction won't help you because you are prepared for anything. I'd just work on everything equally ;D

Hi guys! For the Option topics (I'm doing Workplace and Family), do they always have at least one of the questions related to the contemporary issues?

It is common for at least one to relate to contemporary issues but it isn't a guarantee :)

chelseam

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +45
« Reply #1816 on: November 01, 2017, 10:09:31 pm »
Hey everyone,

are transnational crimes usually heard in the Supreme Court? Or are they only heard there if they're serious? Thank you  ;D
HSC 2017: Chemistry / English Advanced / English Extension 1 / Legal Studies (5th in NSW) / Math Extension 1 / Math Extension 2

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #1817 on: November 01, 2017, 10:11:12 pm »
+1
Hey everyone,

are transnational crimes usually heard in the Supreme Court? Or are they only heard there if they're serious? Thank you  ;D

Only if serious, but usually they are since a lot of transnational crimes are quite serious offences (I'm sure there are exceptions, but I'm not sure what they would be specifically) ;D

chelseam

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +45
« Reply #1818 on: November 01, 2017, 10:16:06 pm »
Only if serious, but usually they are since a lot of transnational crimes are quite serious offences (I'm sure there are exceptions, but I'm not sure what they would be specifically) ;D
Sweet, thanks Jamon! :D
HSC 2017: Chemistry / English Advanced / English Extension 1 / Legal Studies (5th in NSW) / Math Extension 1 / Math Extension 2

kiiaaa

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #1819 on: November 01, 2017, 10:16:19 pm »
hey guys

i was wondering - if for any of the essays questions if they give us a quote do we have to quote it once or twice into our essay or take elements of the quote to use during our essays or how? I'm seeing it a lot and idk how to ensure i adequately answer it
i have an example of what i mean attached

mylinh-nguyen

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #1820 on: November 01, 2017, 10:19:10 pm »
what are some examples for law reform in crime, I have bail and SNPP but I don't know what else to add

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #1821 on: November 01, 2017, 10:25:22 pm »
hey guys

i was wondering - if for any of the essays questions if they give us a quote do we have to quote it once or twice into our essay or take elements of the quote to use during our essays or how? I'm seeing it a lot and idk how to ensure i adequately answer it
i have an example of what i mean attached

I had to do this in my HSC exam without ever dealing with a quote in Legal before! I ended up paraphrasing it into my introduction and conclusions, and then throughout the response (topic sentences and conclusions usually) as I felt necessary. For this one, very easy to paraphrase the "injustice for victims bit" into your arguments, for example, putting quotes around it to make it clear what you are doing ;D

what are some examples for law reform in crime, I have bail and SNPP but I don't know what else to add

- Amendments to LEPRA to give police increased powers (particularly with regard to terrorism)
- One punch and lockout laws in response to R v Loveridge
- Amendments to the Jury Act to allow majority verdicts

Are a few additional ideas ;D

kiiaaa

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #1822 on: November 01, 2017, 10:29:38 pm »
I had to do this in my HSC exam without ever dealing with a quote in Legal before! I ended up paraphrasing it into my introduction and conclusions, and then throughout the response (topic sentences and conclusions usually) as I felt necessary. For this one, very easy to paraphrase the "injustice for victims bit" into your arguments, for example, putting quotes around it to make it clear what you are doing ;D

thanks soo much jamon!

mylinh-nguyen

• Forum Regular
« Reply #1823 on: November 01, 2017, 10:44:31 pm »

- Amendments to LEPRA to give police increased powers (particularly with regard to terrorism)
- One punch and lockout laws in response to R v Loveridge
- Amendments to the Jury Act to allow majority verdicts

Are a few additional ideas ;D
tthank you so much!

biancafischer99

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #1824 on: November 01, 2017, 10:57:16 pm »
Does it matter if media articles are made up? Will the markers notice?

Korrasami

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #1825 on: November 01, 2017, 11:20:09 pm »

Try and make them sound legitimate as possible, however I would also recommend learning at least a couple of media articles just so it doesn't look obvious that you've made media articles up. But if you really can't remember them, then making up articles would be your best bet (ONLY if you really can't remember them)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #1826 on: November 01, 2017, 11:22:01 pm »

So it definitely matters, the question is whether it will be noticed. I know people who did it and did fine, but ultimately doing it opens you up to lose marks you wouldn't have otherwise lost. All it takes is them noticing one made up case/media, and you've lost your credibility. I'd personally avoid it :)

Vinnnnnnyyyyyy

• Trailblazer
« Reply #1827 on: November 01, 2017, 11:53:42 pm »
What's a good criminal investigation process law reform to talk about? I was thinking police powers but I don't know the exact name of the amendment.
2016:
Mathematics 2U - 96
Mathematics 3U - 92

2017:
English Advanced - 92
Legal Studies - 91
Economics - 88
Business Studies - 93

ATAR: 97.6

B Commerce/Law - UNSW

littleshreep

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #1828 on: November 02, 2017, 01:19:10 am »
What's a good criminal investigation process law reform to talk about? I was thinking police powers but I don't know the exact name of the amendment.

LEPRA (reforms in 2014 and 2016)
and also Terrorism reforms - Anti-Terror Act (2002) - preventative detention, Terrorism (Police Powers) Amendment (Investigative Detention) Act 2016 (NSW) - investigative detention following Curtis Cheng death, Terrorism (Police Powers and Parole) Bill 2017 {introduced as an amendment through Terrorism Act 2002} - use of lethal powers following coronial inquest on 2014 Lindt siege, 2005 amendment to Terrorism Act 2002 (NSW) - covert search powers

rodero

• Forum Obsessive
  • Professional quote and statistic generator
  • Respect: +81
« Reply #1829 on: November 02, 2017, 06:33:45 am »
+2
GOOD LUCK TODAY EVERYONE!  :) :) :)
HSC 2017:
English (Advanced): 91    Legal Studies: 92    Modern History: 91    Studies of Religion 2: 90    Business Studies: 92

ATAR: 96.75

Need tutoring? Click here!